I know what y'all are thinking...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bunny

I know what y'all are thinking...

Post by bunny »

dear gawd. if bunny doesn't get her scooter soon she will drive us ALL insane.

You're right.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:rofl:
ModBud #442
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

No, I'm thinking Bunny shouldn't start threads needlessly. :)
bunny

Post by bunny »

It's not needless. I'm allowing you all to share in the joy of my quest for a scooter. Tell me my tale of woe and panic hasn't brought back memories for you of how excited you were when you first got your scooters?

And fie on you who walked out the door with your ride the day you walked in. I'm not talking to you people. :no:

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I walked out with mine 6 hours later.... And the delay on mine was only due to me wanting the first Tangerine Buddy in my state ;) Good luck Bunny.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bunny wrote:It's not needless. I'm allowing you all to share in the joy of my quest for a scooter. Tell me my tale of woe and panic hasn't brought back memories for you of how excited you were when you first got your scooters?
But perhaps it could be kept to a single thread of telling your tale and receiving sympathies from other members?

I don't think that we need 3 threads on this topic. People are getting snarky, and that's never good.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

(while we're nagging, and this is for everyone) Giving your posts appropriate names, really helps, too. Please limit the use of "blind topics" to tease people into reading, and try to be as specific as possible (in a limited number of words) about the thread contents.

And remember, if you have questions or clarifications, or further thoughts on something that's already been discussed, it's almost always better to add to the old thread than to start a new one, it really helps people find things, and keeps relevant threads near the top of the list where they belong.

Thanks! Keep your moderators happy, and EVERYONE will be happy. Well, except Bunny. Patience, dear.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ERik3tb

Re: I know what y'all are thinking...

Post by ERik3tb »

bunny wrote:dear gawd. if bunny doesn't get her scooter soon she will drive us ALL insane.
At least it'll be a short trip for some of us.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
bunny

Post by bunny »

I leave you this evening at B minus 23 hours and counting. I will make every attempt to refrain from posting anything until I am *absitively posilutely* sure that Bonheur is here...

;)

AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Dunno if you're interested, but I bought a couple of Rabbit-replica badges that I'd intended on putting on my Buddy after I did some paint work (which never happened because I was too busy riding).

They might be appropriate on yours...

At least, they might be appropriate when yours arrives. :lol: :P
Huh? What just happened?
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

AxeYrCat wrote:Dunno if you're interested, but I bought a couple of Rabbit-replica badges that I'd intended on putting on my Buddy after I did some paint work (which never happened because I was too busy riding).

ooo I like that..

Bunny I know how you feel. I actually enjoy your updates :) We will know when you get it because there will be one big YIPEE post and then we wont hear from you for awhile because you will be off scootering
bunny

Post by bunny »

AxeYrCat wrote:Dunno if you're interested, but I bought a couple of Rabbit-replica badges that I'd intended on putting on my Buddy after I did some paint work (which never happened because I was too busy riding).

OMG! I LOVE it! I have been looking for bunny decals that would be appropriate for my Bonheur...YOU are awesome!

AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I haven't seen mine since we moved, but I'm pretty sure I know where they are.

I'll let you know when I find them -- or, if you're feeling impatient, I can point you to where to find them (but you'll end up paying more). :D :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
bunny

Post by bunny »

Since I am still unsure as to paint or flower her, I will be patient (:rofl:)...

DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

illnoise wrote:(while we're nagging, and this is for everyone) Giving your posts appropriate names, really helps, too. Please limit the use of "blind topics" to tease people into reading, and try to be as specific as possible (in a limited number of words) about the thread contents.

And remember, if you have questions or clarifications, or further thoughts on something that's already been discussed, it's almost always better to add to the old thread than to start a new one, it really helps people find things, and keeps relevant threads near the top of the list where they belong.
Could we please add a "Posting Guidelines" sticky thread and include this most excellent information? In the past 24 hours numerous new threads have been started with "look at me" type subjects, making it very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. MB is getting to be a jungle and my machete isn't sharp enough. :)

Oh, and Bunny? Please pick one "I can't wait! I can't wait!" thread and kindly post your updates there. :)
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

DouglasLive wrote:Could we please add a "Posting Guidelines" sticky thread and include this most excellent information?
Oops...I see we already have just such a sticky, but it doesn't include the info posted above.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DouglasLive wrote:
DouglasLive wrote:Could we please add a "Posting Guidelines" sticky thread and include this most excellent information?
Oops...I see we already have just such a sticky, but it doesn't include the info posted above.
This is why stickies are largely ineffective. No one notices them. :roll:

I am actually revising the posting guidelines and concocting a way to make sure all members get to see them when they register or at least get sent a link to them.

It's on the to do list.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bunny

Post by bunny »

Back to our scheduled programming...consider myself sufficiently chastised, k?

B minus 5 hours and 30 minutes and counting.

No phone call yet. I'm giving him till 4 before I blow up his phone. It would be funny if he decided not to answer his phone today...NOT!

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

bunny wrote:Back to our scheduled programming...consider myself sufficiently chastised, k?
Awesome! Thanks for understanding, bunny.
bunny wrote:No phone call yet. I'm giving him till 4 before I blow up his phone. It would be funny if he decided not to answer his phone today...NOT!
Call them now! At least you'll find out if your scooter will indeed be ready for pickup today.
ModBud #442
pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

If Bunny gets her scoot today i wont expect a post for at least a week since she will most likley be riding 24/7 :P

For real though, i hope you get the call soon, it would be a great start to the 4th of July weekend for you. :)
bunny

Post by bunny »

Actually, I'm not planning on riding it anywhere except up and down my driveway until after this weekend's MSF course.

My OH is driving it home from the dealer and I will be going from the garage door to the end of the driveway and back again until I feel comfortable maybe going down the block. OH seems to think I will be going up and down the street by this evening, but I don't know. I want to be careful. As I have read earnestly over the past few weeks, my scooter is not a toy. So I plan on treating her as the machine she is. And I have seen way too many futurama movies...I'm not so sure the machines aren't laughing at me, KWIM? So I respect the machine in hopes it will treat me respectfully, too.

pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

bunny wrote:Actually, I'm not planning on riding it anywhere except up and down my driveway until after this weekend's MSF course.

My OH is driving it home from the dealer and I will be going from the garage door to the end of the driveway and back again until I feel comfortable maybe going down the block. OH seems to think I will be going up and down the street by this evening, but I don't know. I want to be careful. As I have read earnestly over the past few weeks, my scooter is not a toy. So I plan on treating her as the machine she is. And I have seen way too many futurama movies...I'm not so sure the machines aren't laughing at me, KWIM? So I respect the machine in hopes it will treat me respectfully, too.
Respecting the machine is a great idea. One other thing I do is ride like I am invisible, I basicly ride thinking no one can see me or hear me
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Well, Bunny,
I, for one, like to see your posts. In my opinion, the anticipation, teeth-gnashing, excitement, finger-nail biting, and joy you are experiencing is what scooters are all about. :)

FWIW, I see NBR and NSR threads that are much less interesting to me, not to mention all the threads that get hijacked and become some way off-topic journey. Personally, I think those posts are okay just like I think your post sharing your adventure with us is okay. I would much rather hear about the nice experience of you getting your scooter than hear one more time about flip-flop wearing people, tragic accidents, or other grumpiness. But like I said, before anyone potentially gets snippy, I believe everyone has the right to make those posts too.

And before anyone points out that "the issue" is your multiple threads, I don't think there is any difference in one member starting multiple threads on a similar topic versus one member starting multiple threads on various OTs or the tonnnnnnnnnnns of blind topics that are "needless"! :wink: Again, just my opinion. Everyone feel free to have your own.

So, thanks, Bunny for reminding me of the Christmas-morning joy that comes with my Buddy and bringing a few smiles into my day amidst all the intellectual, serious, and frustrating stuff. :D

Now, COME ON BONHEUR!!!!
~Celebrate~
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Up and down the driveway? lol. That's rich! :D

I give it 30 minutes before you are cruising all over the city on it!
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
theasg

Post by theasg »

Bad news Bunny.

I just called Vespa FW and the guy said that they would have had delivery by this time, if it's gonna come today. He said that Robert might know more details, but he stepped out and we should try him back in a little bit.
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

My only piece of advice is: KEEP YOUR HEAD AND EYES UP. It's really weird, but wherever you are looking is the direction that you are going to end up going. So, if you're looking down at the ground, that's where you might end up. It might sound so silly too, the whole "look where you're going" (or rather sounds like common sense, right?), but it's really easy when you are first learning to look at what's directly in front of you instead of scanning ahead.

I started out with a Yamaha 50cc Vino, and rode around our parking lot. My husband got on a bicycle and rode in front of me, doing left/right turns, and U-Turns, yelling "Keep your head up!!" (that is also a common yell from MSF instructors). He also did all these exaggerated head turns the entire time. It was really amusing, but helped me so much to learn the importance of it.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

runtotorun121 wrote:And before anyone points out that "the issue" is your multiple threads, I don't think there is any difference in one member starting multiple threads on a similar topic versus one member starting multiple threads on various OTs or the tonnnnnnnnnnns of blind topics that are "needless"! :wink: Again, just my opinion. Everyone feel free to have your own.
It is the moderators' opinion that we want to avoid multiple threads on the same topic, so that is one case where others' opinions doesn't matter, ha. Please respect our wishes so we can continue to provide MB.

MB is a privilege, not a right, ha.

Sorry to pull weight, but I just want to be clear that the multiple thread thing isn't just a preference, it's the way the moderators insist things are done here.

Bb.
Last edited by illnoise on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

alienmeatsack wrote:Up and down the driveway? lol. That's rich! :D

I give it 30 minutes before you are cruising all over the city on it!
30 minutes? You're patient!

Too bad the Buddys don't have antennas, you could use one of these:
http://giftshop.bluebunny.com/images/items/0851.jpg
The majority is always sane - Nessus
pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

illnoise wrote:
runtotorun121 wrote:And before anyone points out that "the issue" is your multiple threads, I don't think there is any difference in one member starting multiple threads on a similar topic versus one member starting multiple threads on various OTs or the tonnnnnnnnnnns of blind topics that are "needless"! :wink: Again, just my opinion. Everyone feel free to have your own.
It is the moderators' opinion that we want to avoid multiple threads on the same topic, so that is one case where others' opinions doesn't matter, ha. Please respect our wishes so we can continue to provide MB.

MB is a privilege, not a right, ha.

Sorry to pull weight, but I just want to be clear that the multiple thread thing isn't just a preference, it's the way the moderators insist things are done here.

Bb.
I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything but what is the problem with multipile threads?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

pretz_ruck wrote:
I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything but what is the problem with multipile threads?
It makes it difficult to find things with the search. If I'm having a stalling problem, I would much prefer one thread about stalling than a bunch that I have to sift through.

I think part of the problem, for lack of a better word, is the tension between a social board and a how-to board. I like the social stuff cos it's fun to chat w/fellow enthusiasts, but I also want to get info on how to do things, fix things, upgrade things as well and it can get lost. Just my 2 cents.
pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

siobhan wrote:
pretz_ruck wrote:
It makes it difficult to find things with the search. If I'm having a stalling problem, I would much prefer one thread about stalling than a bunch that I have to sift through.

I think part of the problem, for lack of a better word, is the tension between a social board and a how-to board. I like the social stuff cos it's fun to chat w/fellow enthusiasts, but I also want to get info on how to do things, fix things, upgrade things as well and it can get lost. Just my 2 cents.

Makes sense...thanks for the info :)
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

pretz_ruck wrote:I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything but what is the problem with multipile [sic] threads?
You must have a lot of time on your hands. :) For me it's getting impossible to tell what's worthwhile content vs. socializing, mainly because people keep starting multiple threads, like MB is some kind of Instant Messaging client. ;)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

-combines all knowledge of a specific topic in one thread, which:

-makes searching for info easier, and

-keeps commonly-discussed topics near top of list, with all previous discussion, which:

-prevents questions from being asked (and answered over and over), and

-keeps the site cleaner and easier to navigate.

Clearly labeling threads provides all the same benefits.

Scenario:

Someone wants to know how to adjust throttle.

GOOD: he searches and/or notices there's a tech section, and quickly finds most of the info he needs in one thread, perhaps posting a question at the end of the thread. The topic bounces back to the top of the site, others see it, answer his question, topic remains contained (and expanded), everyone's happy.

BAD: he starts a new thread asking his question, several people look it up for him and post it, and others go through all the trouble of talking him through it even though there are already several threads about it. He asks a followup question in a new thread, and others come along and ask both questions again. There are several threads on the topic, none of them complete, and all of them are hard to find with a search (especially if they're called "Hey, I have a question."
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

siobhan wrote: I think part of the problem, for lack of a better word, is the tension between a social board and a how-to board. I like the social stuff cos it's fun to chat w/fellow enthusiasts, but I also want to get info on how to do things, fix things, upgrade things as well and it can get lost. Just my 2 cents.
Good point. So which type of board was MB developed to be? I actually came to MB for the technical stuff, but after I was trying to sift through the "search" function, which doesn't seem to work very good, I ended up just trying to wade through lots of posts and found a lot of social interaction going on. Sometimes a how-to thread is very lengthy as it becomes tangential. Again, I figure that this is just the way things are since it is so pervasive, and people are entitled to be themselves as long as it doesn't harm anyone else, but it would be interesting to know if MB posts should be more tech oriented or more social oriented or are acceptable to be a mix of both. I always prefer to know these things up front rather than have people fuming quietly until they explode. . . :?
~Celebrate~
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

runtotorun121 wrote:...but it would be interesting to know if MB posts should be more tech oriented or more social oriented or are acceptable to be a mix of both. I always prefer to know these things up front rather than have people fuming quietly until they explode. . . :?
I would like to suggest to the Mods a separate Forum called "Coffee House" where just this kind of social interaction can take place.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I don't have a problem at all with non-scooter-related or non-buddy-related threads (within reason), but it's the same thing, we don't need multiple threads about movies or sports or that photo of the girl with the helmet on backwards either.

Are things going to atrophy? Of course, we all hijack threads and babble, and go OT, and most new people just don't know any better. But if the experienced and savvy MBers, self included, can try to politely keep things on track, it sets an example and helps others and we all win.

Bb.
scooterdyke

Post by scooterdyke »

AMEN TO THAT - ENOUGH ALREADY, BUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

didnt want to get anyone upset.....so....whats the latest update bunny?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Douglas, that's a good suggestion, but having been on (too many) forums and mailing lists, it usually doesn't work, it just all eventually leaks back into the main forum, whichever it is. I'm not against trying, but I bet Eric will say the same thing.

Again, i have no problem with non-technical and even entirely non-scooter-related topics, but even then, we just don't need more than one thread on any topic.

If it was up to me, we'd have an "Introduce yourself" thread and we'd have hundreds of follow-ups on it instead of hundreds of "new to the list" and "hi" threads. But that ain't gonna happen, I know. We just want to strive for some sort of organization, is all.

Human nature (nature in general) leads to atrophy, we just have to fight that. The variety of people into scootering right now is amazing, and keeping any sort of group focused is nearly impossible. Scooter list fights used to be 20 homogenous people arguing (OT) about pointless minutae, now it's hundreds of people arguing about religion and government. The point is, arguing and confusion's a given, let's try to limit it and organize it. : )
bunny

Post by bunny »

I can't get a ticket for riding without a license in my own driveway, can I? :D I'll be geared up and everything.

And thanks, runtotorun121. I do feel like a kid at Christmas. And I hope that if nothing else, that feeling continues for everyone who has a scooter in their possession right now. Hug your scooter and grin like mad. (hey! that could be a scavenger hunt topic...group scooter hugs!)

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Scooterdyke, Bunny's been duly chastized, and I'm sorry it had to be her, it could have been anyone. Please don't take all this personally Bunny, and no one should feel bad about sparking a discussion like this, it's hopefully productive and proactive, right?
gottascoot

Post by gottascoot »

geared up.. blah blah blah.. whats the status? You getting it today?!? shouldnt it be something like two hours now?

Gottascoot!
-Jay
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

illnoise wrote: let's try to limit it and organize it. : )
Isn't one of the moderators a librarian? Vee need order! Please...vee need some LC action!
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

illnoise wrote:Douglas, that's a good suggestion, but having been on (too many) forums and mailing lists, it usually doesn't work, it just all eventually leaks back into the main forum, whichever it is. I'm not against trying, but I bet Eric will say the same thing.
I agree, but let's give it a go. :) Perhaps couple the new forum with more focused descriptions for the other forums (ie "General Discussion" becomes "Genuine Buddy: '06-present". Then be ruthless about moving threads when the situation warrants. People will get the idea sooner or later. ;)
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

illnoise wrote: and all of them are hard to find with a search (especially if they're called "Hey, I have a question."
Is there anyone to hone the search function somehow, or am I using it incorrectly because when I have tried to search for something like "oil change" I get 1027 supposed matches, and here are some of the threads that came up:

Installed high performance CDI module and coil
Greetings Everyone - Hello and Age Question
Gas Mileage.... kinda' (Not really)
Bonegirl hits the 20,000 mile mark on the Pink Buddy!
at what point does it...
Scooters and Allergies
Things are taking a dark turn
Problems with Starter anyone run into this?
New Buddy 150 - stalled while riding today - whats wrong?
[ Poll ] Where do you usually park your scooter?
***VALVE ADJUSTMENT***
Just passed the MSF class - scared of calssmates who passed
ROYAL PURPLE
Will this engine fit in my Buddy 125?
More reasons to worry...
[ Poll ] Poll: will you ride as much if gas prices somehow went down?
Kinda wish I'd gotten a Honda now.
Sing it with me!!!!!! 20, 20, 24 hours to goooooooooooo...
Who's Crashed?
riding to the office
Oklahoma Permit Test - What to expect?
Adjusting Valves
NSR - Body Mods (the human variety)
[ Poll ] Vote for your favorite Avatars
Scooter Guts
questions about restoring a Vespa...
No Arkansas Dealers?
The ATX Scooter Experience
Riding my brand new scoot hard
My NEW buddy drips fuel
Get to know MB
It itches.
Dr Pulley Roller Weights Wanted to say a big thank you
Motorcycle, scooter laws changing
JUST SHUT UP AND LET ME PUMP MY GAS

When I first started searching for tech info this was pretty overwhelming to see all these type of titles, and as you can see, not much about "oil" in the title. So I figured that the words "oil" and "change" must be in the body of the threads somewhere, but I can honestly say that I have read almost (if not) every one of these threads, which I know are not going to help me learn about changing my oil. . .

So if I am searching incorrectly, someone let me know but I choose to search in "General Discussion", type in "oil change", and use the "Search for any terms or use query as entered" option. Help?
~Celebrate~
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Select "Search for all terms"
The way it's checked as default it's searching for anything with oil and anything with change, not necessarily both words. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you can use quotation marks for an exact phrase match.
Last edited by Piedmont on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Again, returning to the regularly scheduled programming...

No Bonheur today. And probably not for a while. He had shipments for the end of June and no show. He has shipments for July and it's iffy when those will show.

alas. woe is me.

So to those of you who have your scoots, enjoy them. And try to think of those of us who are not so fortunate and remember to be kind. The world is small and getting smaller by the nanosecond, one never knows who may hold a card in your favor when you most need it.

runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

bunny wrote:remember to be kind. The world is small and getting smaller by the nanosecond, one never knows who may hold a card in your favor when you most need it.
There is nothing more to say than that! :)
Last edited by runtotorun121 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Celebrate~
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Bunny - I feel your pain, and I have been silently competing with you for the title of "Who gets their Buddy first". Mine was due by the end of June too. Well, I just got confirmation that it is in the city and being assembled/prepped. Ducati Seattle owner guy (I think) said it will be the first one built of the ones they just got, it should be ready Thursday.

So, the clock is ticking...who will get theirs first, SITR or Bunny?

By the way, good luck on MSF class, adn good luck in your driveway :)

~SITRthursdayPleaseThursday

EDIT: Oops, just read your last post, Bunny. That really sucks.

I work at a company that manufactures products, and we have awesome supply chain management, even with international (read: China) suppliers. It blows me away that Genuine, and their dealers don't have more visibility into their supply chain. They should have minute-by-minute information of where every nut and bolt and any other piece is. They should know the status/output of their production lines and the destination of each product as it is being manufactured. This is really basic supply chain stuff, and this no-information paradigm really surprises me.

Well, I guess it doesn't surprise me given the track record of other american manufacturing comanies that just can't compete.

And now that I think of it, my brother had a similar experience buying his Ducati GT1000. They couldn't give him a date, even a couple days before it arrived. It was like the bikes got off the boat, and were placed on random trains headed west.

Anyway, lame about the no-show. Sorry for the rant.

~SITRagain
Last edited by ScootingInTheRain on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pretz_ruck

Post by pretz_ruck »

bunny wrote:Again, returning to the regularly scheduled programming...

No Bonheur today. And probably not for a while. He had shipments for the end of June and no show. He has shipments for July and it's iffy when those will show.

alas. woe is me.

So to those of you who have your scoots, enjoy them. And try to think of those of us who are not so fortunate and remember to be kind. The world is small and getting smaller by the nanosecond, one never knows who may hold a card in your favor when you most need it.
Someone needs to let Bunny borrow a scoot so she can at least get the scoot feel...common...someone has to live close to give her some scooter support (or at least buy her a drink :P )