Convert dead turn-signals/switch into xtra running lights?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SirLexelot

Convert dead turn-signals/switch into xtra running lights?

Post by SirLexelot »

Hey all,

so has anyone yet figured out how to turn the dead turn-signal lights on the Buddy into additional running lights that can be controlled from the dead light switch on the right handle bar? Any ideas on the necessary wiring, or what kind of repacement bulbs to use?

Visibility is always a concern for me, so I'd love to throw a halogen bulb in the main headlight and perhaps LEDs or smaller halogens in the turn signals.

Also I've read that other drivers have an easier time gauging your distance and approaching speed if there are multiple points of light clearly visible. It's not simply a matter of being more bright, it's also the fact that there are multiple points for the brain's depth-perception to use as a reference. I hear one of the biggest reasons other drivers are stupid and pull out in front of 2-wheeled vehicles is that they don't accurately judge the vehicle's distance and speed. Much as we'd love to just write them all off as morons... :wink:

Anyway, I'm not much of an electrician, but I'm fairly technologically competent. So I was just looking for guidance on doing this mod. Thanks to anyone/everyone for any suggestions or comments!
ebcspace

halogen headlight bulb

Post by ebcspace »

haven't tried to convert the top turn signals to running lights,
but here's a thread on the halogen headlight bulb...

topic492.html

read through all there...

:)
scoot on!
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

One of the mechs at Tulsa Scooters told me that it was pretty easy to restore the turn signals to the originals to double up on the signals or set them up as running lights. I'm thinking of running some wires to do just that.

ECS
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:One of the mechs at Tulsa Scooters told me that it was pretty easy to restore the turn signals to the originals to double up on the signals or set them up as running lights. I'm thinking of running some wires to do just that.

ECS
There's a tutorial for doing just that here.

The dead lights is one of my "what were they thinking?" issues with the Buddy. It's something that I feel was rushed when converting the PGO for US but could have been easily fixed.
SirLexelot

Post by SirLexelot »

So that's totally cool for running extra turn signals, but I think I'm in the minority due to the fact that I don't mind the DOT turn signals at all.

I'm more interested in making use of the dead light switch, and turning the signals into additional running lights. Does anyone have instructions for wiring the lights to the dead switch?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SirLexelot wrote:So that's totally cool for running extra turn signals, but I think I'm in the minority due to the fact that I don't mind the DOT turn signals at all.

I'm more interested in making use of the dead light switch, and turning the signals into additional running lights. Does anyone have instructions for wiring the lights to the dead switch?
That's come up in a few otehr threads, but to my knowledge no one has been able to rewire the dead switch (yet).

I think the stock lights on the Buddy are, overall, insufficient and that night visibility is poor. So here's my plan for our Buddy:

- replace the DOT turn signals with other, better-looking lights
- rewire the stock signals as running lights
- replace all bulbs, including headlight
- replace oval orange reflectors on front forks (I kind of hate these) with a band of reflective tape
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

I really want to use those dead turn signals as running lights also, but I'd rather just hook them into the headlight than worry about using the superfluous on/off switch. I'll save that for something else later maybe.
Do you think there would be any issues or problems w/ just hooking them up as running lights w/ the headlight?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterMonkey wrote:I really want to use those dead turn signals as running lights also, but I'd rather just hook them into the headlight than worry about using the superfluous on/off switch. I'll save that for something else later maybe.
Do you think there would be any issues or problems w/ just hooking them up as running lights w/ the headlight?
Wouldn't you like to play guinea pig and just split the wires and see what happens? :)
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

ericalm wrote:
ScooterMonkey wrote:I really want to use those dead turn signals as running lights also, but I'd rather just hook them into the headlight than worry about using the superfluous on/off switch. I'll save that for something else later maybe.
Wouldn't you like to play guinea pig and just split the wires and see what happens? :)
Well I guess I'll be the first one to try then. I'm working today so I'll do it tomorrow.
Any suggestions on brighter bulbs for my "running lights"...halogen or something else?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterMonkey wrote: Well I guess I'll be the first one to try then. I'm working today so I'll do it tomorrow.
Any suggestions on brighter bulbs for my "running lights"...halogen or something else?
From this thread on halogen headlight bulbs:
ebcspace wrote:changed out all of the turn signal bulbs with 1156NA bulbs...

available at any AutoZone, PepBoys, etc...

they are much, much, brighter! ,(only $2.99 for each pair)
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Ok, it's late, & I'm tired so I'll just say I DID IT! I am soo cool!. And of course post a pic of the proof.
Pics & details will come tomorrow.
:mrgreen: :clown: 8)
Attachments
I DID IT! I am soo cool!
I DID IT! I am soo cool!
Running lights woohoo!a.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
sparty

Post by sparty »

Man, I can't wait to see it. Is it hard?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

AWESOME!!! I can't wait to hear how you did it.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I hooked up the OEM blinkers and the DOT blinkers this evening in less than half an hour from open to close. The wife is happy because the more blinking lights, the less likely I get smushed by someone who didn't see me.

ECS
lou76

Post by lou76 »

ScooterMonkey wrote:Ok, it's late, & I'm tired so I'll just say I DID IT! I am soo cool!. And of course post a pic of the proof.
Pics & details will come tomorrow.
:mrgreen: :clown: 8)
dude, that is rad.... i just turned the DOT turn signal brackets around to tuck them underneath the handlebars, but those lights are badass... now i really have to come down to temptown.... :wink:
brat

Post by brat »

which set of turn signals did you use???
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Sorry about the delay in posting pics & details...it's been a busy day. I promise to have them up tonight, or tomorrow latest.
brat wrote:
which set of turn signals did you use???
The dead set on the front body of the scoot.
sparty wrote:
Man, I can't wait to see it. Is it hard?
No it's not hard. I did it, & i'm a mechanical idiot. It did require a couple of hours, & lots of patience.
Attachments
The finished product. Details will follow.
The finished product. Details will follow.
DSC00348.JPG (53.6 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Nice. That's pretty mod for an Asian scoot! I'm sure you'll get even more people telling you they love your "Vespa." But, really, one of the reasons I love the Buddy. You can make it almost anything you want.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice job scootermonkey! How about alittle write up? What bulbs did you use etc. I wired into the turn signals but I really like what you have done and may go that way
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL