Do Buddy's and bicycles mix

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Do Buddy's and bicycles mix

Post by schroeder »

I have been cycling for about 25 years. I am anxiously awaiting my 125 from POC in Cleveland. Like since June 3. When I get it I am wondering if my bicycle will collect dust or will I use them both? How many of you ride bicycles and scoots and did you stop bicycling after you got the Buddy? I would set up a poll but not sure how to do it.
Me? I ride for the bugs!
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

That's what mountain bikes are for! :wink:
In all seriousness, though I don't have my scooter yet, I'm expecting I'll keep on pedalling. I enjoy the feeling of being under my own power to let any engine replace my bicycle. Supplement? Enhance? Allow me enough energy after commuting to go for a pleasant pedal cruising ride? Yes.
Replace? Wash yer mouth out, give me 5 uphill standing sprints and 10 whoop-dee-whoohoo's. :twisted:

*edit*
Dang it! You made me think about it too much! I'm going for a ride. :lol:
Last edited by Cheshire on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brape

Post by brape »

I've lost my motivation for cycling over the past few years, but was never a bike commuter or one to use my bikes to run errands (too afraid of theft) I still have been going for rides at about the same rate I used to.

Do any of the cyclists here flip their breaks on the bike so it matches the scooter.
Smiziley

Post by Smiziley »

I ride my bike a lot downtown, was actually wondering the other day if it would be safe to strap it to the back of the scooter, a pipe dream for sure. Most of my bike riding is night time anyway, so daytime is scooter / longer distance duty, night times for bike rides.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

brape wrote:Do any of the cyclists here flip their breaks on the bike so it matches the scooter.
Ooh...you're talking cyclocross setup! Yup. That's what my main bike was before my injury. Now that I'm getting back into cycling, having "traditional" brake setup is messing with my head. I'm on the verge of getting my current bicycle brakes switched again.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Maybe this will help:
http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=3853

take your bike with you! (good luck with that!)

I just have a cruiser that I use around the neighborhood with my daughter on her bicycle, I've had scooters ever since I've had the bicycle, but I use them both on and off.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

SCOOTER (plus girlfriend's 2 year old)

Single Speed Sekai late 80's body bicycle.

sadly i hardly ever ride my bike now. I was actually thinking today about how i needed to be riding it more but you know how it is. Scooter gets me there, quicker, with less effort, less sweaty, and looking oh so sweet.
I am actually going to try to ride my bicycle more cause honestly the only thing more relaxing than scooting for me is cycling. i like to take mine to our small towns "historic downtown" area late at night and just cruise. It is seriously awesome. I encourage anyone to invest in a $100 80's bike frame, sand it and repaint it and then build it up.

i am 100% with Smiziley
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I would personally be fearful for my life trying to launch my Buddy off a 10 foot drop. :shock: But I'll do it on my mountain bike no problemo. :D So no, it hasn't kept me off my mountain bike. But my separated shoulder has kept me off my mountain bike after face-planting on a jump 3 weeks ago. :cry:

I just did a 24 mile road ride yesterday instead of riding my Buddy. So I still ride my road bike too.

If you ride to commute, I think the bicycle will get dusty. But if you ride your bicycle to stay in shape or because you love it, you'll still use it.
petunia

Post by petunia »

I bought my Buddy exactly one year ago and have put 2100 miles on it. My poor bikes were very lonely. One of the things I love about scootering is the simplicity and ease. While I still scoot a multiple times a week, the newness has worn off and I primarily scoot for transportation. I'm back to bicycling most every day. I love the beauty of bicycles, particularly fixies. I'm sure you will love your scooter but I'm guessing you won't abandon your bike.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Ex bicyclist getting back into it.
I don’t see scooting getting in the way of riding bicycles; unless you get most of your riding from commuting. If you are a bicycle commuter then I would have to say you will be peddling less. Commute 2 hours on a bicycle, then shower and change cloths etc.; verses 40 minutes on a scooter --- after all there is just so many hours in a day --- getting older, weather, not having to hear the wife bla; bla; bla oops I’m digressing.
So, I stopped peddling several years back because of various reasons, not scooters, things changed, and now I actually started peddling again, not like before, but I am peddling, and I scooter.
DALÉLOCO

Post by DALÉLOCO »

hey man i am an ex bicycle messenger and now a buddy owner. I still ride my bike almost every chance I get. The one thing I will say about the buddy is that you will enjoy the acceleration...especially around cars. I can't tell you how nice it feels to drive with and next to cars. (passing them feels good as well :twisted: . The fact that you have been cycling 25 years def. says you won't put the bike away just yet. Good riding to you when you get your buddy....and watch out for potholes because i hit a monster one yesterday.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

My bicycle milege hasn't decreased at all (about 8000 per year). I normally ride four days/week and ride my Buddy afterwards or on non-cycling days.
ladyofthelake

toddler shirt

Post by ladyofthelake »

Hey riancurtis...where did you get that precious toddler sized "gotta scoot" t-shirt. My neice is always say she is getting a scooter like aunt Livvy. She so needs the shirt!! :P
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Surf Board carriers:

http://www.lajollasurfshop.com/bike_racks.htm

Scroll down, but don't be shocked at what they call a scooter --I cant even repeat it cause you all will get sore with me.
illnoise wrote:Maybe this will help:
http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=3853
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

I would say they don't mix, bicyclists are a different breed in my opinion.

And they are irritating as well! Taxpayers have spent millions if not Billions of Dollars constructing Bike paths in very scenic areas in the state in which I live but for some reason many Cyclists feel the need to find the one lane roads with hardly any shoulder them that have speed limits posted of between 45mph and 55mph and they clog up traffic on these roads not to mention causing a serious safety risk to themselves and to other drivers who get irritated and try to pass on a turn or at the peak of hill cause the cyclist is doint 10mph up a hill where the speed limit is posted 45 or 55MPH!

And whats with the spandix cyclist gear anyway? I see them get off the bikes and have this giant diaper looking padding in the seat of their pants? Here is a hint.....BUY A LARGER SEAT! and then ya wont need the Diaper!

They should outlaw Bicyclist's on roads like I have described, for everyones safety.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

No, bicycles and Buddy's do not mix; Buddy's reproduce all by itself. :lol: :P
riancurtis

Re: toddler shirt

Post by riancurtis »

ladyofthelake wrote:Hey riancurtis...where did you get that precious toddler sized "gotta scoot" t-shirt. My neice is always say she is getting a scooter like aunt Livvy. She so needs the shirt!! :P
the Just Gotta Scoot cafepress!
http://www.cafepress.com/justgottascoot/1957573

overpriced products but she LOVES my scooter. had to get her something.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

SCOOTERSOLDIER wrote:I would say they don't mix, bicyclists are a different breed in my opinion.

And they are irritating as well! Taxpayers have spent millions if not Billions of Dollars constructing Bike paths in very scenic areas in the state in which I live but for some reason many Cyclists feel the need to find the one lane roads with hardly any shoulder them that have speed limits posted of between 45mph and 55mph and they clog up traffic on these roads not to mention causing a serious safety risk to themselves and to other drivers who get irritated and try to pass on a turn or at the peak of hill cause the cyclist is doint 10mph up a hill where the speed limit is posted 45 or 55MPH!

And whats with the spandix cyclist gear anyway? I see them get off the bikes and have this giant diaper looking padding in the seat of their pants? Here is a hint.....BUY A LARGER SEAT! and then ya wont need the Diaper!

They should outlaw Bicyclist's on roads like I have described, for everyones safety.
Whooo.

I used to think the same about 50cc scooters. Before my injury, I was a long-distance commuter cyclist. My commute was 70+ miles round-trip, and I did that several days a week, not including riding for enjoyment. The "diaper", as you describe it, is a chamois pad designed to prevent chafing because pedalling is a constant motion, unlike sitting stationary on a car/motorcycle/scooter seat. The chamois is seamless and absorbant, which prevents sweat from causing problems. It doesn't matter what kind of seat: given enough miles, friction will take it's toll. Think of the chamois as engine oil in that regard. Actually, a larger seat makes things worse: a narrower seat reduces the clearance as your legs pump up and down.
*edit*
As to the spandex, what's with your gear, mate? You wear all this armor, a helmet that covers your entire head, and heavy boots in the middle of frickin' summer! Just as your gear has purpose and is engineered towards that end, so is cyclist clothing. Lycra not only helps prevent overheating, but compresses the muscles in the legs to 1)aid in keeping the muscles from fatiguing so fast and 2) helps circulation. (There's more reasons, but I'd have to look them up.) It's simply engineered for a different need. Besides: not everyone wears lycra. If my trip was less than a half-century (50 miles) I didn't bother. Except for the jersey. I sweat at the drop of a hat in summer.
*/edit*

As far as banning cyclists from the road, most cagers think the same exact thing about scooters, regardless of engine size. Regardless, cyclists, just like scooters, are considered vehicles, entitled to the same roads. Did you ever consider that the "irritating" cyclist huffing up the hill at a slow pace on a busy road REALLY wants to be there? If there was a better option, the vast majority of us would bloody take it, and sail along abandoned backroads gleefully instead of worrying whether the next car to pass us is going to be the one that comes too close. That's the compromise when you're under your own power: do I take the 15 mile route that's hilly and has traffic, or do I take the rarely-used 50 mile route that seems to go up a cliff?

As far as bike lanes go, those are a rarity, and oftentimes dangerous. Every bike lane in my city is either littered with broken glass or sandwiches me between traffic and parallel parking so that a dooring incident becomes "when" instead of "if".

Note I said I USED to think the same about 50cc scooters. At the time, I had no reason to think otherwise. Every scooter I had encountered passed me within inches, reeked of alcohol, and looked at me as though I was the one that took his license away. Finding this forum, I have since been (very happily) proven mistaken. The bike forums I frequent and the cyclist comrades I have made have a slogan, "2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad." That doesn't mention anything about engines or lack thereof: it just means that two wheels are the preferred choice. Most of us (not all, you lucky few dogs), cyclists, motorcyclists, and scooter riders alike, drive cars because we must, but ride because we enjoy it. Four wheels is a necessary evil (I don't know about you, but I can't haul furniture on a bike, engine or no): two wheels is freedom.
We're in this together. From what I understand, it's only recently that motorcyclists have started appreciating scooters. Just a little perspective.

(Besides: biker legs can kick like a mule! :P )
Sorry...I was serious for far too long. I had to do something! :mrgreen:
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

"The chamois is seamless and absorbant, which prevents sweat from causing problems."

That sounds like a Diaper to me!! LOL! :)

Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy the 4th and get out and scoot!
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

my bike collected dust for the first 800 miles of scooting or so except when I go to the brewery, not even worth waisting a trip if I'm only going to sip a pint and then sit around for an hour before getting back on the scoot. Now that I'm graduated I don't have to climb 900 vertical feet to get to campus so I'm starting to ride a lot more, not to mention I want to get my endurance back and loose this gut for burning man. I love fixing up bikes, we have a self repair bike coop here in santa cruz called the bike church so I can fix up anything for cheap or free. mainly scoot now for distance, leisure, or when I'm running late. My bike is becoming my commuter again (once I fix the back break though).
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

They sure do! You can't always ride a Buddy where you ride a bicycle but you can ALWAYS ride a bicycle where you ride a Buddy. After 14,000 miles of commuting and recreational long distance rides, I know you can. As soon as I buy a new hip I might try again! :cry: I miss the bike!

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

SCOOTERSOLDIER wrote:That sounds like a Diaper to me!! LOL! :)
This is why most cyclists don't wave or smile at scooters/motorcycles. :livid:
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

The above pictures prove my point on why cyclists should be outlawed on certain roads, I gaurantee you the speed limit is probably 45mph or better on that road and take a look at how much break down lane or shoulder there is! NONE! Rolling hills and turns and when vehicles get behind these knuckleheads they are causing a serious safety hazard for themselves, and motorists.

The cyclists probably dont wave because they know everyone behind them or those that pass them are severely pissed off at them for being so stupid.

THanks for posting those pics, prime example of how some people only think about themselves.
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

scooter soldier.
if I see you on the road on my bicycle, I will tell you not to take up the whole lane with your scooter. or something else.
isn't that the same type of mentality you are showing towards cyclists?
or are you just ignorant of the laws for cyclists in our fine country? or are you just stirring the pot here to see what kind of stuff you can start? that seems more likely.

BTW - We have the same rights as cars and as your scooter.
ok I am off my soap box - this is since I just got back from a ride and had three cars come very close to me, funny part is, they were all on their way to watch fireworks - "hey look kids, watch daddy set an example of how to treat cyclists on the road and sideswipe this guy. Maybe if I hit him he won't notice and we won't go to jail for hitting him, then we won't be late for the fireworks. "

RE back to the OP
I ride, train on my bicycle 6 days a week.
I still ride my scooter. My bicycles, a cross bike, mountain bike and road bike all still get ridden. It's all about staying fit and I choose to use the scooter as a treat.
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

"BTW - We have the same rights as cars and as your scooter. "

A while back an avid cyclist had this discussion with me and he stated "I pay Taxes and have the right to use the road as I please"

Do you agree?

Since I also pay taxes can I go for a WALK down a Highway? Cause that is basically what a person on a bycycle is doing, when was the last time you seen a bycycle doing 45 to 55MPH up a hill?

They are a nuisance on those roads like in the pics above and not using common sense, and yes I do know the laws, as I work in law enforcement, unfortunately the laws at this point are not protecting those cyclists at this juncture and in fact are placing them in danger as well as motorists in Danger, even you just stated you had a close call, were you using sound judgment on which roads to ride your bike on? if 3 motorists almost side swiped you then it sounds like you were not. Just because a law may state you have the right to use certain roads on your bike does not mean it is the smartest or safest thing to do, common sense applies, unfortunately many cyclists do not use common sense and put others in danger as well as themselves.

Maybe someday the lawmakers will apply some common sense and restrict cyclist on certain roads like the ones in the pic above.
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

bicyclerider wrote:scooter soldier.
if I see you on the road on my bicycle, I will tell you not to take up the whole lane with your scooter. or something else.
isn't that the same type of mentality you are showing towards cyclists?
or are you just ignorant of the laws for cyclists in our fine country? or are you just stirring the pot here to see what kind of stuff you can start? that seems more likely.

BTW - We have the same rights as cars and as your scooter.
. "
t.
Actually by Law scooters ARE allowed (and encouraged) to take up a lane.Or at least be in the center. One thing they can do that bikes can not is maintain road speed for long distances that is why by Law people on bikes can not take up a lane or ride abreast. And while road rules apply to everyone not every rule is applied the same, ie: some state require you to walk your bike (not ride) across an intersection as a pedestrian.
The problem lies in the individuals and whether or not they choose to obey the law. This goes for the pedestrian on the sidewalk who does not want to share with a bike (even though a bike lane is available). To the scooterist who uses the bike lane pissing off bikers. To the motorcyclist who illegally cuts in or out of traffic and annoys the cagers. To the motorist who runs stop signs and T-bones everyone.
Shall I go on?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Can a pedestrian walk down the same roads? Yes, as long as it isn't marked as such. I'm not sure about other states, but here in NC the only roads off-limits to non-motorized traffic are interstates. They also have a minimum speed limit of 45 mph.

Artisan: regardless of the type of vehicle (scooter, motorcycle, or bicycle), if you're going slower than the posted speed limit, the law states that you ride to the right of the lane. The law isn't specific to bicycles. It applies to traffic in general. In downtown (in my town), hill or no, I was able to go at or above the speed limit, so I used whichever lane best suited my purpose. I used to regularly pass cars in the center of the left lane...even got a warning finger-waggle from a cop once about my speed. The only time you have to walk a bicycle across an intersection is if you're using the crosswalk. If you're riding as traffic, you're supposed to wait at the red light like everyone else.

To tie this back into scootering, let's remember that 50cc scooters pose just as much threat to themselves and others as bicycles on roads they can't meet the speed limit. By your logic, SCOOTERSOLDIER, you would have those scooters (regulated at 30mph on flats by law) banned from any road they can't do the speed limit. Last I checked, that's quite a lot of pavement.

We're all considered vehicles BY LAW. Except for townships and cities that have specific laws otherwise, bicycles have just as much right to take the full lane as everyone else. The law I mentioned above about speed means we ride on the right, but there are situations that it's RECOMMENDED to take the lane, for safety.
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

Since I also pay taxes can I go for a WALK down a Highway?
I would say YES, this would be the best use of your time. Because at this point your using up oxygen others need to use.

and at this point scootersoldier you are showing your ignorance of the law.
so you must be a rent a cop? security at wal-mart? b/c if you were a police officer you would know we have a right to the road just like your scoot.
You better get used to us out there, as gas gets to be 5 and 6 a gallon you will see more and more of us riding your roads in your town.

Artisan - two abreast for cyclists is safer in some instances and I take up the entire lane, when I know cars can't pass without endangering my life AND theirs and the life of the people in the car in the other lane.
just think about that one for a minute.

Dangerous ride
In 2006, 45 cyclists died and nearly 5,500 were injured in bicycle-motor vehicle crashes in New York. Of the 5,565 collisions reported, the vast majority - 98 percent - involved a bicycle and a single vehicle. Driver inattention and failure to yield the right of way of the bicycle were the top contributing human factors.
Source: state Department of Motor Vehicles

Tips for drivers
- Bicycles are considered vehicles.
- Reduce speed when encountering cyclists.
- Don't tailgate cyclists, especially in bad weather.
- Recognize hazards cyclists may face and give them space.
- Cyclists should be given the appropriate right of way.
- Scan for cyclists in traffic and at intersections.
- Don't blast your horn in close proximity to cyclists.
- Look for cyclists when opening car doors.
- When passing, leave at least 3 feet between you and a cyclist.
- Wait for safe road and traffic conditions before you pass.
- Check over your shoulder before moving back.
Source: New York Bicycling Coalition (www.nybc.net)
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

One of these I definitely would not take on the road.
charltons

Post by charltons »

DennisD- Those pics are great! That can't be from FL, unless you guys in the panhandle are hiding something from the rest of us! Well, maybe extreme NW corner near Alabama?
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

Hmmmm.....Lets look at that shall we? The following tips must have been made by arrogant cyclists who have no regard for others safety including their own, they must think we all enjoy watching them impede traffic and cause safety hazards.

Tips for drivers
- Bicycles are considered vehicles.

***SO ARE TENNIS SHOES,SKATEBOARDS Etc....Should we allow Skateboards on roads where the speed limit is 45MPH or Higher? Might as well!

- Reduce speed when encountering cyclists.

***Why should anyone have to reduce speed when encountering a cycllist? If the Cyclist is not capable of maintaining the posted speed limit then he or she should not be on that road period.

***No one should ever tailgate anyone, with that said, if the posted speed limit is say 45MPH and the cyclist is doing 10MPH then that cyclist should pull off the road and let traffic pass safely and never travel that road again for everyones safety.

- Recognize hazards cyclists may face and give them space.

***Cyclists should recognize the hazards they face on the roads and not travel ones they are causing issues on. I think the Cyclist should give the cagers space and then everyone is safer.

- Cyclists should be given the appropriate right of way.

***Cyclists should use the many bike trails and bike paths that they lobbied for that tax payers spent billions of dollars on instead of travelling roads where they should not be on.

- Scan for cyclists in traffic and at intersections.

***Motorists should be scanning all the time, looking for pedestrians, animals, debris etc....

- Don't blast your horn in close proximity to cyclists.

***Has the cyclist been given a message? I say yes blast away! if the cyclist is being a moron by traveling roads that are unsafe for them or other motorists then let them know as you pass via that horn to let them know just how stupid they are being.

- Look for cyclists when opening car doors.

***Getting doored has caused many deaths of cyclists who ride to close to parked cars, once again not using common sense, heres a thought, the cyclist should be the one who is paying attention, if I drive my truck to close to parked cars and rip off a door of a car then I can gaurantee you I will get the ticket, cyclists are the ones who should be paying attention and here stop blaming others for their stupidity.

- When passing, leave at least 3 feet between you and a cyclist.

***How about if there is not 3 feet of shoulder or break down lane/bike path to ride the bike in then the cyclist should not travel that road period? In the Pic above it looks like many rolling hills and if a cyclist is traveling that road at lower than posted speeds it appears traffic could back up a very long way and make passing those cyclists very unsafe for everyone involved.

- Wait for safe road and traffic conditions before you pass.

***Ahhhh......once again it appears the arrogant cyclists want everyone to wait on them, Gas prices sky high yet we must wait behind someone who made bad choices as money is getting sucked out of our pockets doing 10mph up a hill so some guy in with a spandex diaper can go for his early morning bike ride, he probably passed 3 or 4 nice bike trails/paths on the way in but instead he chooses to ride a one lane road with speed limits posted that he cant possibly maintain causing irritation and safety hazards for all involved.

- Check over your shoulder before moving back.

***Everyone should always look over their shoulders before backing, not just because of cyclists.

I want to thank whoever started this thread, I think I am going to get more involved in politics and see if I cant bring more attention to the safety hazards caused by these cyclists who do not use sound judgment and cause serious safety hazards to the public by traveling roads they have no business being on.

If you see a bill presented titled "The DIAPER Bill" You will know where it came from! :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

SCOOTERSOLDIER,

As a cyclist, not a bicycle rider, I agree that the bicycle rider and sometimes the cyclist is his own worst enemy as is the motorcycle and scooter rider. However, you are venturing into territory you are unfamiliar with and should do so with caution. To keep from embarrassing yourself in your political foray, I would suggest contacting the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) for a wealth of information on legislation involving cycling and pick up an interesting little book by John Forester called "Effective Cycling". I have the sixth edition and am sure that it has been updated many times since. It is available on Amazon.com. It is as important a read as "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, recommended on this site many times to help the new scooterist ride safely and understand that his or her lack of understanding of their choice of transport can cause problems for them and others. That's putting it lightly and on a personal note, I hope that you have or will read both as your post indicates an enormous lack of understanding of cycling and if even a small part of that lack involves scooters I fear for your life. I was just going to say that you are an idiot, but decided against that as I am trying to restrain myself and be a better person and Eric would probably have to call me down again. So I decided to go with a different approach. I'm sure it will be more effective and hope that you find some benefit from it.

CHARLTON,

You are correct! It is not in Florida, we have nothing that beautiful here. That is the Talladega Scenic Drive in Talladega National Forest. The ride is "The Cheaha Challenge, Toughest Ride in the South" and was attended by Frankie Andreaeu in 2008. It is held on the first Sunday in May every year as a fund raiser and includes professional criterium racing Saturday night in Anniston, Al with a street closed off for dining with food from several wonderful restaurants there. Its a great time. It is attended by hundreds of cyclists every year. I've ridden it twice and can attest to its difficulty. The ride begins and ends in Piedmont, Al which has shown itself to be a warm and welcoming little town. Also there is the Ladiga Trail which begins in Anniston and is planned to tie into the Silver Comet trail so cyclists can ride from Anniston all the way to Atlanta on the Rails to Trails ride with campgrounds in between the two cities.
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

Dennis

Your opinions are noted, but not relevant, reading a book about a cyclists or cyclists has Zero to do with cyclists impeding traffic and causing serious hazards on our roads, it is a real problem and many cyclists make very bad choices on which roads to travel, and no book is going to explain away the real danger that presents to all involved.

I am always for less government and more choices for americans, but in this instance for the safety of all involved I believe the Govt, Local and Federal should step in and dictate which roads cyclists should not travel on, there are many where I live that cyclists cause serious problems on and should be banned from those roads for their safety and the safety of motorists.

I am glad you read the books and perhaps you make good choices on where and when to ride, the fact remains though that many cyclists do not.

Have a good day! :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

People, this thread is getting way out of hand. I would not have thought something so seemingly innocent would be teetering on the brink of getting locked. So let me remind EVERYONE here to read and obey them Posting Guidelines when posting to Modern Buddy.

In particular, this item, which is at the top:
General Behavior
Be civil to one another. Treat everyone with respect. Stick to the one thing everyone here will want to talk about -- scooters. Keep it friendly and remember that not everyone shares your particular viewpoint, nor should anyone be ridiculed for not believing exactly as you do.
If anyone has an opinion that can't be stated without violating the Guidelines, then act like a grown up and keep it to yourself or take it somewhere else.

In particular, these kinds of statements aren't tolerated here. So chill out because this kind of shit is just rude and does nothing to educate, inform, entertain or otherwise contribute to anything but creating a negative and hostile atmosphere.
SCOOTERSOLDIER wrote:The cyclists probably dont wave because they know everyone behind them or those that pass them are severely pissed off at them for being so stupid.

THanks for posting those pics, prime example of how some people only think about themselves.
bicyclerider wrote:
Since I also pay taxes can I go for a WALK down a Highway?
I would say YES, this would be the best use of your time. Because at this point your using up oxygen others need to use.
And these aren't the only ones.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Let's take it easy on cyclists, just like scooterists (and drivers) there are some that cause problems and don't follow the law (or use common sense). Go ahead and rant about the bad seeds, but applying your frustration with those few to ALL cyclists is exactly the kind of attitude we're fighting on the scooter front.

We all deserve each others' respect AND support. Cycling is a great way (much better than scootering, for that matter) to promote health, reduce traffic congestion, save money, and save the environment. If we expect drivers to watch for scooterists and give us our space and rights on the roads, it's the least we can do to likewise support and promote bicycle rights and safety. (not to mention education).
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
bentgypsy

Post by bentgypsy »

I ride my road bike more since I bought my scooter, not only because I promised myself I would but because of the uniqueness of my situation.
I live and travel full-time in a small motorhome with my Buddy on a hitch-mounted carrier. When I am parked in a bike-friendly town like Eugene, OR I ride my bike more than the scooter. Ex.: today I'm going to downtown Eugene via dedicated bike paths, low-traffic roads and roads with bike lanes.
This feels safer and is almost easier (it's not far) than taking my scooter on some busy, high-speed roads (I really prefer not to go over 45 mph, though I have, of course). When none of the above conditions exit or the trip is more miles than what I want to travel (like in the 'boonies'), I scooter-ride.

Steve
07 125, Red Buddy
07H Navion RV
Buddy 125 red
Navion motorhome
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Scroll down about 10 or 11 pictures and you'll see the start of why I thought it belonged here.

http://tinyurl.com/5ffu6r

Kaz
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Awesome, kazoo! :D
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

kazoo wrote:Scroll down about 10 or 11 pictures and you'll see the start of why I thought it belonged here.

http://tinyurl.com/5ffu6r

Kaz
I read the whole thread on that guy's journey a while back. Inspiring and uplifting. What an amazing thing to undertake! I only wish I had known about it when he was coming through Denver. My welcome mat would have been out.
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
mjmetts

Post by mjmetts »

SCOOTERSOLDIER wrote: - Reduce speed when encountering cyclists.

***Why should anyone have to reduce speed when encountering a cycllist? If the Cyclist is not capable of maintaining the posted speed limit then he or she should not be on that road period.

***No one should ever tailgate anyone, with that said, if the posted speed limit is say 45MPH and the cyclist is doing 10MPH then that cyclist should pull off the road and let traffic pass safely and never travel that road again for everyones safety.
It's called a "Speed Limit" for a reason. It's the maximum allowed speed on those roads. Only on an interstate will you find a minimum posted speed (usually 45). It's a bit presumptuous to think that means all the vehicles need to maintain that speed. Tractors and farm vehicles certainly don't. Many older people don't. Frankly, if you're not comfortable going the speed limit in a car I'd prefer you didn't. Drivers in cars don't like getting held up, but that doesn't mean the other cars are doing anything illegal.
SCOOTERSOLDIER wrote: - Look for cyclists when opening car doors.

***Getting doored has caused many deaths of cyclists who ride to close to parked cars, once again not using common sense, heres a thought, the cyclist should be the one who is paying attention, if I drive my truck to close to parked cars and rip off a door of a car then I can gaurantee you I will get the ticket, cyclists are the ones who should be paying attention and here stop blaming others for their stupidity.
You need to make up your mind here. You'd prefer that bikes don't take up a car lane but in the city you don't want them riding beside a lane? It's safest and prevents congestion when bikes ride to the right of car lanes in the city.

Here in Michigan, which supposedly has some of the worst bike laws in the country, we have this statement in our vehicle code:

"Each person riding a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped or operating a low-speed vehicle upon a roadway has all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to the provisions of this chapter which by their nature do not have application."

Cyclists have all the rights and duties of vehicles. Vehicles do not have the duty to always move at the posted speed limit. Vehicles do have the duty to share the road with all other vehicles including bicycles.
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

bicyclerider wrote: Artisan - two abreast for cyclists is safer in some instances and I take up the entire lane, when I know cars can't pass without endangering my life AND theirs and the life of the people in the car in the other lane.
just think about that one for a minute.
And is against the law.Yet at the same time you go on about your rights by Law. I've ridden bicycles for over 40 years. I even had an early prototype of the mountain bike. I think that they are refered to as "clunkers" now. Rode many a street from city to city. And taken a few really bad spills due to reckless car drivers who thought it was funny to throw a "scare" into the woman cyclist. That being said though many cyclists have given me heart palpatations when driving. Many a time I've come over a hill or a mountain curve on a two lane road only to find a cyclist or group of cyclists hogging the lane Right in front of me at well Below speed limit. So the brake is applied quickly and I'm praying that I do not have to swerve into oncoming traffic. And that any traffic behind hopefully is alert enough not to cause a pileup. No one can pass safely because of incoming traffic. Yet if cyclists kept to their bike lane in single formation as per the Law there would be plenty of room to Safely pass. I want to be able to Share the road with cyclists or bicyclists or whatever the PC term is these days. There are many benefits which I no longer share because of a bad knee. Yet I'm seeing on this post a certain arrogance that is starting to bother me. Basically who has more rights. It's easy to talk about who has what rights or not when typing in the comfort of your home. On the road on two wheels or eighteen my main concern is rather not sending someone to, or not winding up myself in a hospital...or worse yet... a morgue. In a world of vehicular traffic where the majority of people on the road are busy doing anything but paying attention to the road (cell phones ,texting ,radio , reading, shaving, makeup,etc) Everyone is a target. Maybe by Law one has the right to do this or that but at certain times it might not be the Safest thing to do?
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Crazy L_New Yorkers. Next thing you know were going to have to give way to cows and elephants! Hey wait, did someone say the circus was coming to town. :lol:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... g-program/
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

Some of the back and forth in this thread has really greedily made me hope for $9.00 a gallon gas, if only so more people will remember that 2 wheel bicycle transit is a viable, reliable, and honorable way to travel.
Some of the venomous remarks and barbs that are aimed at cyclists in many a blog on the web really point to an outdated mode of thinking, that 4 wheels and a fast pace is the only way, and the American way to go. Quickly and angrily is no way to travel through life my friends, unless you are carrying organs primed for donation with melting ice, an extra few minutes aren't going to hurt. The most common refrain is an ad hominem attack on the cyclists choice of clothing, insinuating something about the man beneath the lycra. If you have any doubts about masculinity, just tune into the Tour De France for the next few weeks and erase all those doubts, and maybe gain some insight into true human endurance and ability, which is something rarely garnered with a steering wheel under your nose. :D
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

The first paved roads in this country were the result of work done not by anyone with a motor vehicle but by the League of American Bicyclists.
fhujay

Post by fhujay »

Redrider wrote:[...]
Some of the venomous remarks and barbs that are aimed at cyclists in many a blog on the web really point to an outdated mode of thinking, that 4 wheels and a fast pace is the only way, and the American way to go. Quickly and angrily is no way to travel through life my friends, unless you are carrying organs primed for donation with melting ice, an extra few minutes aren't going to hurt. The most common refrain is an ad hominem attack on the cyclists choice of clothing, insinuating something about the man beneath the lycra. If you have any doubts about masculinity, just tune into the Tour De France for the next few weeks and erase all those doubts, and maybe gain some insight into true human endurance and ability, which is something rarely garnered with a steering wheel under your nose. :D
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

I agree with everything you say. (Which is unquestionably rare for me)

And yes, I'll be right there on the Versus channel from 7-10 nearly every night.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

fhujay wrote:
Redrider wrote:[...]
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

I agree with everything you say. (Which is unquestionably rare for me)

And yes, I'll be right there on the Versus channel from 7-10 nearly every night.
I took off tomorrow and will be planted in front of the tv at 7:30 central to watch the TdF. And then again for the replay, and then again for the afternoon replay and then again for the enhanced version tomorrow night and then again Saturday...
And what a great tour it is this year!

I usually tell the manly men who laugh at lycra and claim there's no way they would wear it that "it takes a REAL MAN to wear lycra. Stay on the porch, son." :mrgreen:
fhujay

Post by fhujay »

DennisD wrote:

I took off tomorrow and will be planted in front of the tv at 7:30 central to watch the TdF. And then again for the replay, and then again for the afternoon replay and then again for the enhanced version tomorrow night and then again Saturday...
And what a great tour it is this year!

I usually tell the manly men who laugh at lycra and claim there's no way they would wear it that "it takes a REAL MAN to wear lycra. Stay on the porch, son." :mrgreen:
I know, right? It's too bad all of these great sprinters (Thor!) are going to start fading once the Tour reaches the mountain stages. I guess it's time for the 95-lbs Spaniards to have their time in the sun. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the Grand Tours would be well-served by (a few) more time trials. Maybe I'm just a masochist... :wink:

Oh well, at least the French have finally had something to be proud of for the past few stages. :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I wish they would bring back the team time trial.
Jake

Post by Jake »

SCOOTERSOLDIER wrote: ...and yes I do know the laws, as I work in law enforcement...
Mall cop doesn't count.
Piedmont

Post by Piedmont »

Jake wrote: Mall cop doesn't count.
Mall cops deal with a lot.