Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt Week 6: Fireworks and Flags

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

July 4th – July 10th

TWO subjects this week and you ARE allowed to submit TWO photos! (One from each subject)
No math this week (other than the point for first in) these are FLAT points.

Subject #1 Your Scooter With Fireworks:

10pts - Your scooter with a professional fireworks display
(Professional… as in put on by your town, city, or a group – the big stuff up in the sky – NOT you and your brother with bottle rockets & smoke bombs in your back yard!)

5pts - Your scooter with “amateur” fireworks (light up the roman candles, sparklers, smoke bombs, snakes, etc & take a pic of them with your scooter – they must be lit, NOT non-working fireworks in the box) Be careful everyone!
Note: ScootLemont and or ModernBuddy.com is not responsible for any injury or damage done to you or your scooter as a result of participating in this scavenger hunt. Participants accept all responsibility. Offer not valid in Hawaii, Puerto Rico or where ever prohibited. No actual value guaranteed. Your mileage may vary. Stay in school & say no to drugs.

Subject #2 Your Scooter With An American Flag

3pts - Your scooter with an American Flag (As is the USA, 50 stars, 13 stripes – a REAL American Flag – not bunting, not streamers, etc.) Any size, any location, attached to your scooter or riding past or with your scooter parked near. (This NOT 3 points for EACH flag – have more than one flag in your photo? Great but you still only get 3pts.)

You CAN submit a photo from subject 1 AND subject 2 and you WILL get points for BOTH.
You with not get points for two photos if they are BOTH from subject 1.
Get it? To get maximum points this week, you need a pic of your scooter with a flag AND a pic of your scooter with fireworks.
There are no extra points awarded for having both flags and fireworks in the same photo.

+1pt for the first person to post a qualifying pic this week

PLEASE do your own math & include you point total with your submission!!!! (if you don’t include your points, you don’t get them)
For this week, please show your points, for each photo, with each pic submission post and your TOTAL for both pics with your SECOND photo post (that will make it easier on me when pulling points for the chart – thanks!)

Why two subjects this week? Most of the big fireworks displays will be Friday and Saturday & many people already have plans that may not include their scooter, so I wanted to give everyone a chance to participate even if they can’t make it to a fireworks show.

Thanks to the bunch of people who suggested fireworks for this week!

General Rules for every week:
-A new photo subject added every Friday. Participants will have until the following Thursday to post their pic (taken that week)
-Only one photo may be submitted by each member for each week’s subject. (but if you get a better pic later in the week, PLEASE edit your original post note that you posted a better pic and note in the newer post that it is a replacement for a previous pic. EXCEPT FOR WEEK 6
-Old photos you have lying around can NOT be used- they must be NEW photos taken the week the photo subject was posted
-10 BONUS POINTS (good anytime all summer) for a photo of you getting a ticket (photo must include your scooter & a cop writing the ticket) only one of these may be submitted per player. (Thanks to kazoo for the suggestion)
-No Photoshop submissions
-Prize? Sure, if we can figure out a way to do that, but the real prize will be bragging rights & all the fun we all had all summer.

Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunt!
What is it? - Every Friday a new photo subject is posted in gallery forum & it will be your job to go get a photo of your scooter with that subject.

When is it? - It was started May 30th & hopefully will run it all summer, finishing up Labor Day weekend. That will give us 14 photos to get.
Who? - EVERYONE is encouraged to participate, the more players the better! Some subjects will be easy & some will be more difficult. Some might be impossible for some people but do your best & participate when you can. Don’t worry if you didn’t get in at the start... just jump in anytime!

If anyone has any suggestions for photo subjects or on how to make this more fun, please post up or PM me.

Here is a link to an index of the previous weeks as well as the weekly videos
http://www.timwall.com/hunt/
Last edited by ScootLemont on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

3pts - Your scooter with an American Flag
+1pt for the first person to post a qualifying pic this week

4 points total...

sotied

Post by sotied »

FIRST (still being debated as the other photo seems NOT to have been taken today - at least by my deduction)

American Flag with Scootle (will edit in a second with points and more comments)

Category 2

Scootle with U.S. Flag +3 Pts

**REMOVED MY ONE POINT FOR FIRST**

THREE POINTS SO FAR

Will have the town fireworks tomorrow night and will get that photo too. UNLESS I get a chance to get Boston's fireworks tonight.
Attachments
mU6RCZk5Nb0eri5z6vPWPHjn_500.jpg
mU6RCZk5Nb0eri5z6vPWPHjn_500.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Last edited by sotied on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
sotied

Post by sotied »

CRAP!!!!

That photo can't have been taken today, can it?

I just ran to the basement with a flag, draped it on Scootle and took the shot.

The other photo looks like it was taken on a different day because of the lighting. It's only just 10:13AM here on the east coast.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

EDIT - THAT PHOTO WAS TAKEN IN ILLINOIS. If it was taken today, those shadows look way too high to be 9AM shadows as Illinois is an hour behind us in Boston.

How about a judgement on that? Photos are only to be taken from the point the contest is posted going forward. Huh? HUH?
BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

sotied wrote:CRAP!!!!

The other photo looks like it was taken on a different day because of the lighting. It's only just 10:13AM here on the east coast.

EDIT - THAT PHOTO WAS TAKEN IN ILLINOIS. If it was taken today, those shadows look way too high to be 9AM shadows as Illinois is an hour behind us in Boston.

How about a judgement on that? Photos are only to be taken from the point the contest is posted going forward. Huh? HUH?
Yep taken today in Illinois. I had just hung the flag about 10 minutes before. As soon as I saw ScootLemont's post I pulled her out of the garage and posed her.

EDIT - She's still there. I could take the same picture with something else of your choosing assuming I have one to prove it was today. (rubber duck? football helmet?)

Sorry Scootle!
Last edited by BiscuitHead on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sotied

Post by sotied »

BiscuitHead wrote:
sotied wrote:CRAP!!!!

Yep taken today in Illinois. I had just hung the flag about 10 minutes before. As soon as I saw ScootLemont's post I pulled her out of the garage and posed her.

Sorry Scootle!
You must be in a very sunny and slanted part of IL because our shadows here aren't even at that level. Looks more like 11AM sun.

I'll go edit my post to remove my FIRST shout.

CRIMINY!!!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

those shadows look like the shadows at my house... about 8 miles away
so the point goes to Biscuithead
Sotied... please edit your point total with your pic - you were 2 minutes too slow
cant believe we had two people submit in under 20 minutes
Last edited by ScootLemont on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Here are the totals after last week
sotied

Post by sotied »

ScootLemont wrote:those shadows look like the shadows at my house... abut 8 miles away
so the point goes to Biscuithead
Sotied... please edit your point total with your pic - you were 2 minutes too slow
cant believe we had two people submit in under 20 minutes
Has been updated. I'll know next time NOT to send the photo via my phone to my blog - http://www.bowlofcheese.tumblr.com - first and just to take a digital camera with me and upload it directly.

I had to wait five minutes for it to post on the Web and then copy it to my desktop before attaching it.

I was SOOOO much earlier than him but figured I didn't have to be a maniac about it.

By the way, the flag on Scootle was my grandmothers. She was given it by Ted Kennedy and it flew over the White House. I have it in a box in my house as I don't have a flagpole here yet.

Someday I'll get the first photo. *laying on floor pounding fists and feet in a perfectly executed tantrum*

Happy 4th everyone!

Jeff
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote:By the way, the flag on Scootle was my grandmothers. She was given it by Ted Kennedy and it flew over the White House. I have it in a box in my house as I don't have a flagpole here yet.
Jeff
Great flag... I have one from the white house from when I was a boy scout.... and on that note... please fold up that flag!
Actually... since you didnt get the 1st point, feel free to take a new pic & resubmit... maybe something with the flag hanging up? (ya dont have to... just might look better in the video)

Now might be a good time to offer a link to flag display instructions
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Jeff: I am not ripping on you personally... its a pet pieve of mine
After 9/11, I had to go explain to a neighbor why he should not have put up his flag on the front of his house with a staple gun!
sotied

Post by sotied »

ScootLemont wrote:Great flag... I have one from the white house from when I was a boy scout.... and on that note... please fold up that flag!
Actually... since you didnt get the 1st point, feel free to take a new pic & resubmit... maybe something with the flag hanging up? (ya dont have to... just might look better in the video)

Now might be a good time to offer a link to flag display instructions
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Jeff: I am not ripping on you personally... its a pet pieve of mine
After 9/11, I had to go explain to a neighbor why he should not have put up his flag on the front of his house with a staple gun!
PM sent.

No offense taken.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

The week 5 Video IS UP
http://www.timwall.com/hunt/

I gotta say that the baseball park video was my favorite... but I like this one better.
Great work everyone & thanks for playing!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

OK gang.....here's part 1. And I don't think there should be any controversy about this one :)

3 points. My scoot with an American flag. Actually with TWO American flags AND a Virginia Flag AND a color guard! This was taken this morning at the Ashland Old Fashion 4th of July Celebration and 150th Ashland Birthday Celebration combined.

Professional fireworks are going to be hard for me because I'd have to drive 20 miles in the dark and I'm not sure I'm up for that challenge yet :sigh:

OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

ScootLemont wrote:The week 5 Video IS UP

GREAT VIDEO SCOOTLEMONT!!!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

OScoot! wrote:Professional fireworks are going to be hard for me because I'd have to drive 20 miles in the dark and I'm not sure I'm up for that challenge yet :sigh:
yeah... my town did their fireworks last night so I couldnt get the pro fireworks... but I might head to walmart for a box of sparklers & get the 5pts for "amature" fireworks
-anohter great pic from you!
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

ScootLemont wrote: .. but I might head to walmart for a box of sparklers & get the 5pts for "amature" fireworks
-anohter great pic from you!

Yeah, that was my thought too. Wally Mart to the rescue! Altho my neighbor's kids have some .... Hmmmm.....shall we say....fireworks not quite allowed in VA ...... that they're going to set off tonight! Maybe a shot of their fireworks instead of sparklers!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

No fair, this is Arizona, no fireworks allowed. There may be a large city-wide display tonight, but I'm not sure how to get a picture that will simultaneously light up my scooter AND allow you to see firework that are a mile away. Rumor has it that even the city's display may be canceled due to fire danger. I guess I will have to settle for a flag. Now, to the storeroom!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Okay, just curious, are there any extra points for your scooter having a gas leak while it is being photographed near the fireworks display? How about for shooting of fireworks from your Buddy? :wink:

Just had to ask because I immediately had to smile when I thought of getting a photo with the Bud around explosives! :)

I think I can do this one since we got free little flags last night when we were buying fireworks at the VFW tent.

As an aside, ScootLemont, now see what happens when you don't devise intricate options for amassing points each week??? There are debates about where the sun is hitting the photo subjects so one extra little point can be wrestled over. . .OH MY! :lol:

~Celebrate~
Christy

Post by Christy »

subject 2
scooter with flag

3pts
Last edited by Christy on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPSP #76
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Scooter over to the river, near where Tulsa's fireworks display will be set off tonight. I talked my way into the parking lot that is reserved for the folks who donated $$ to help fund the display.

So, since this IS Oklahoma, and the wind IS supposed to be sweeping down the plain, how come I had to stand and WAIT for a tiny breeze to come up and fan out the flag?

3 points

Happy 4th, y'all!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

I think I should get some bonus points or something if I pull this off ... being on vacation this a week a bajillion miles from home buried deep in the heart of Minnesota.

But I have a plan. :twisted:
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I raise you a Hernia and a 5 pound weight limit 8)
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

pick your favorite. none of them turned out too well. turns out im not so swell at pictures of fireworks.

10 pts. taken at lake skiatook.

1 pt for first firework photo?

i was also experiencing the lack of wind today, so my flag picture will be in another post.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

10pts - Your scooter with a professional fireworks display (Public Fireworks display at Pleasant Grove High School.)

Subject #2 Your Scooter With An American Flag

You CAN submit a photo from subject 1 AND subject 2 and you WILL get points for BOTH.

Total = 13 pts

And the firework is a SMILEY FACE!!! :D

MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Second photo: Your scoot with amateur fireworks

5 points

+ 3 points from first photo with flag

8 points total

Sadly, the colors did not show up. These were "Pink Diamonds" fireworks which sprayed out a shower of ...well, pink diamonds! I thought that would be cool with the pink scoot. Night time pictures of fireworks are tough to capture if you're an amateur photographer. Oh well at least my scoot survived!

BiscuitHead

Post by BiscuitHead »

My second photo:

+ 4pts for my first photo

Total of 14pts for the week

These are the Downers Grove fireworks. They're about a mile away, so the pictures didn't turn out too great, but here goes....

Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

From now on, each week's Scavenger Hunt thread will be a sticky. So there.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Biggest firework display west of the mississippi behind me, I am a half mile away as I hate big groups of people

As I forgot to bring it to the fireworks

= 13 pts :)

Edited for stupidity :wink:
Last edited by ScooterTrash on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ScooterTrash wrote:10pts - Your scooter with a professional fireworks display
5pts - Your scooter with “amateur” fireworks
= 18 pts [/img]
13 points - you CANT get points for amature AND pro fireworks (please see the rules - its one photo from subject 1 & one photo from subject 2 - or both subjects in one pic if you can get it - )
Here is why I did it this way... I wanted big pro fireworks from everyone who could get them so those are worth 10 - but... i figured a lot of people would not be able to get them, so people who couldnt could get pro, could still get 5pts for amature fireworks.
Sorry... I thought that was clear

Great pics everyone!
Last edited by ScootLemont on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote:From now on, each week's Scavenger Hunt thread will be a sticky. So there.
Thanks... & when will we see a pic from you in the hunt???
dont they fly American Flags in LA?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootLemont wrote:
ericalm wrote:From now on, each week's Scavenger Hunt thread will be a sticky. So there.
Thanks... & when will we see a pic from you in the hunt???
dont they fly American Flags in LA?
Nope. We're all godless America-hating Commies.

That's 90% sarcasm.

Maybe I'll go steal the little flags out of my neighbor's yard. Is that a federal crime?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

Subject #1:

Subject #2:
=8 points
Attachments
resize scoot2.jpg
resize scoot2.jpg (87.91 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Owl you need is love.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Olivemusic
the red white & blue flowers are a nice touch!
olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

Thanks!
Owl you need is love.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

The only way to get close to the fireworks was to park very early in the evening, and wait -- or to park at a distance, and walk. I stopped in a church parking lot and took a picture just as the evening display began, so I could join friends and walk to the site we had staked out earlier. This was supposed to be my "test shot", but as soon as I took it I got the "Replace Battery Pack" message! So, this is my only-and-best shot.

+ 10 pts for city fireworks photo
+ 3 pts for earlier flag photo
Total 13 pts.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Biggest firework display west of the mississippi behind me, I am a half mile away as I hate big groups of people

As I forgot to bring it to the fireworks

= 18 pts :)

I am glad to see a properly folded flag. :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... I didnt think either of these was great so I posted both...
3 points

yes, I know the American Flag should be on the left... but it is under the porch so it is out of the rain & both are not out that often (except for this year)
sotied

Post by sotied »

****EDIT**** NO CHANGE TO CONTENT OTHER THAN BIGGER PHOTOS (SAME ONES, JUST BIGGER)

Flag photo with buddy from earlier +3 Points
PRO Fireworks with buddy from tonight +10 Points

13 POINTS

Here are two photos. One is blurry and crappy. One is a piece of the buddy and a good explosion.

Fireworks were put on by my hometown. Almost got blocked out by the smoke and still air. Got lucky.
Attachments
ScootleFireworks2.jpg
ScootleFireworks2.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
ScootleFireworks1.jpg
ScootleFireworks1.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Last edited by sotied on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I can't even find a sparkler around here. Due to fires breaking out everywhere, they banned all fireworks here. :(
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

5 points for Scooter with amateur fireworks.
Attachments
buddy22.jpg
buddy22.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

ScootLemont wrote:
= 18 pts [/img]
13 points - you CANT get points for amature AND pro fireworks (please see the rules - its one photo from subject 1 & one photo from subject 2 - or both subjects in one pic if you can get it - )
Here is why I did it this way... I wanted big pro fireworks from everyone who could get them so those are worth 10 - but... i figured a lot of people would not be able to get them, so people who couldnt could get pro, could still get 5pts for amature fireworks.
Sorry... I thought that was clear

Great pics everyone!
Damn, i'm an idiot, original post edited :lol:
jsprandel

Post by jsprandel »

I decided to go for quantity with a bunch of little flags - ladies, does size really matter? :wink:

I probably have the worst fireworks picture since I had to take it across the Potomac on the 5th - see the little pink dot? Boy, from a distance, it's hard to adjust the shutter speed and capture the fireworks! :roll:

3 pts Flags
10 pts Professional Fireworks
13 total points

(Note my fancy new topcase!)
Attachments
Flags 1.JPG
Flags 1.JPG (71.6 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Fireworks.JPG
Fireworks.JPG (22.26 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ScooterTrash wrote:Damn, i'm an idiot, original post edited :lol:
No big deal
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

ScootLemont wrote:
No big deal
It's not like I can dis people for not reading the rules and then complain cause I didn't :lol:
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Here's the flag in front of the Tucson VA medical center. My employer. Taken at sunrise on Independence Day.

3 points
Edit 7/8, adding Arizona legal fireworks (yes, they're sparkling candle, but it's all we're allowed to have) - 5 points
Total - 8 points
Last edited by Howardr on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
sotied

Post by sotied »

Better flag photo, but since I already had one, no need to update. Just more fodder for the video (which I love).
Attachments
HouseFlag.jpg
HouseFlag.jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
ScootleFlag2.jpg
ScootleFlag2.jpg (138.31 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
sotied

Post by sotied »

ScooterTrash wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:
No big deal
It's not like I can dis people for not reading the rules and then complain cause I didn't :lol:
+1 for ScooterTrash's epiphany.

:twisted:
SANTRO-PEY

Post by SANTRO-PEY »

3 pts your scooter with an American Flag
Attachments
100_0289.JPG
100_0289.JPG (118.13 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
100_0289.JPG
100_0289.JPG (118.13 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

SANTRO-PEY wrote:3 pts your scooter with an American Flag
Not an American flag = 0 points

(As is the USA, 50 stars, 13 stripes – a REAL American Flag – not bunting, not streamers, etc.)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

sotied wrote:Better flag photo, but since I already had one, no need to update. Just more fodder for the video (which I love).
Great flag!
and on that note... if anyone wants to put up an additional, or better, photo between now & Thursday feel free - we can always use more for the video.