Scooter Cover

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sparty

Scooter Cover

Post by sparty »

Anyone has a cover for their scoot? Lacking a garage and don't want to go through the trouble of emptying the gas tank and putting it in storage (unless someone can enlighten me on how to do that please :) ), I am planning to just put it on a standard standard and cover it up for the winter....
vitaminC

Re: Scooter Cover

Post by vitaminC »

sparty wrote: Lacking a garage and don't want to go through the trouble of emptying the gas tank and putting it in storage (unless someone can enlighten me on how to do that please :) )
Just run it until it's out of gas... since it's carb's and not FI, you won't hurt anything by running it dry.

For a cover, just buy the smallest motorcycle cover you can find. You can also probably get a small cable lock to go with it for a little extra secutiry.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I just got the Covermax scooter cover for rainy days when I have to leave it outside. Have only used it once so far but seems to do the trick. Found it at a local motorcycle store ($35). Comes with a handy storage bag too.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/covermax_sta ... r_page.htm

You're supposed to wait until the engine cools a little before you put it on - the more expensive ones use materials that allow you to put it on even when the engine is still hot. I felt like it wasn't worth the extra cost though.
Last edited by SteMer on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Just run it until it's out of gas... since it's carb's and not FI, you won't hurt anything by running it dry.
cool! Didn't know that. So I guess I am going that route if it's so easy to empty the gas tank... I thought I have to suck it out or something. Do I have to do anything to the tank once I got rid of the gas? I gathered the only thing I have to do when spring comes is to put gas into it... Of course, I need to do the battery tender thing, but I should be able to figure that one out.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

All of my vehicles that get stored for the winter get a full tank of gas with Stabil fuel stabilizer added. Every single one of them starts right up in the Spring.

Here's one article about winter storage:
http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/rock ... r10_96.htm
The only change I'd make to the above column is simple; I never start my bikes over winter unless I'm riding them.
Just my 2 cents.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Keys

Post by Keys »

I just bought the medium size motorcycle cover at WalMart...about 20 bucks.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You should also consider removing the battery or getting a battery tender to keep it charged.
ctrent

Post by ctrent »

SteMer wrote:I just got the Covermax scooter cover for rainy days when I have to leave it outside. Have only used it once so far but seems to do the trick. Found it at a local motorcycle store ($35). Comes with a handy storage bag too.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/covermax_sta ... r_page.htm

You're supposed to wait until the engine cools a little before you put it on - the more expensive ones use materials that allow you to put it on even when the engine is still hot. I felt like it wasn't worth the extra cost though.
which store did you find that at? cycle specialties?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I was at a motorcycle shop on Saturday looking for locking devices. The guy there told me he thought a cover was one of the best anti-theft deterrents you could buy. Keeps people from messing with your bike casually, and stops the cruising theives from knowing what your bike is in a drive-by. He said most theft is because somebody was looking for a specific bike, and that scooters should be pretty safe if they have a disk lock or chain in most areas during the day.

He said scooters get stolen at college campuses a lot though.

I ended up with a disk lock and a turtle fur thing for my neck, but that place had darn near everything. I could have spent quite a bit there if I weren't such a strong willed and self-disciplined person (and also because I'm broke).
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

ctrent wrote:which store did you find that at? cycle specialties?
Beechmont Motorsports. I was in Cycle Spec. not too long ago but wasn't looking for covers at the time. The covermax medium is the right size for a buddy with a small or no windshield.

It seems like all the decent cycle stores are on the outer reaches of Cinti - Beechmont, CS, Shipps, Miami Cycleworks (still haven't made it there to met Casey). Makes it a little more difficult to scoot to.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

sparty wrote:cool! Didn't know that. So I guess I am going that route if it's so easy to empty the gas tank... I thought I have to suck it out or something. Do I have to do anything to the tank once I got rid of the gas? I gathered the only thing I have to do when spring comes is to put gas into it... Of course, I need to do the battery tender thing, but I should be able to figure that one out.
While indoor storage does sound a lot nicer than leaving it outside under a cover, I would be concerned about parking it for an extended time with an empty tank. The reason being that moist air will get in there and condense, and that can cause rust to form in the tank (or is it plastic?) and metal tubes leading to the carb. Are you sure can't just leave the tank filled with stabilized gas while in storage? Maybe just "forget" to drain it?
sparty

Post by sparty »

Are you sure can't just leave the tank filled with stabilized gas while in storage? Maybe just "forget" to drain it?
The couple of places I talked to doesn't like to have flamable stuff in there... I guess forgetting to drain it is an alternative solution...but I don't know what's the consequence of the Buddy blowing up in the middle of winter....
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

lobsterman wrote:I ended up with a disk lock and...
The important thing with disc locks is to remember that you have it on. Seriously. I've had one for several years and occassionally will jump on my bike and start to take off until the lock hits. I know I'm not the only dummie to do it. What I've started doing to remind myself that the lock is there (as well as any potential thief) is to keep the storage pouch that the lock came in strapped to the throttle while the bike is locked up.
big calm

Post by big calm »

I got a Malaguti cover..It's work fine even with my top case. I store my scoot outside year round...It's that condo living with no covered parking that'll kill ya
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

The important thing with disc locks is to remember that you have it on.
My disc lock came with a bright orange springy cable that goes from the lock to the throttle. I also put one of those long yellow streamers on the lock itself that says "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT".

Hopefully that will be enough to remind me. So far it's working.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

at first i was just covering mine with a barbeque cover. it worked great until i simultaneously added the windshield and burned the drawstring off on the muffler. so then i bought a motorcycle cover. it costs more and doesn't seem nearly as durable, though the bottom has the extra bit to protect from the hot muffler.