99.9 miles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elm Creek Smith

99.9 miles

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Picked it up on Monday evening after work with 3.2 miles on it and drove home (16.2 miles). Didn't drive it again until Thursday morning when I drove it to work and back. Drove it again this morning to work and back. The odometer is just that close to turning to 100.0, and I still indicate almost a half a tank. (When I filled it up right after I picked it up it took 1.6 gallons and indicated right against the stop. I looked into the tank and saw the gas rippling across the bottom of the tank.)

Looks like I'm getting pretty good mileage, so far! 8)

ECS
Elm Creek Smith

Well, finally made it to the gas station this evening with 101.5 miles on the odometer. It took 1.209 gal to fill up the tank for 83.95 mpg on the first tank. Considering that it's nowhere near broken-in, I'm feeling pretty good about my Buddy.

What do you think?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Sounds good, I'll let you know how I did on my first tank when I finally need to fill it later this week. :)

I love your avatar, btw - a lifting body vehicle if I'm not mistaken.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:Well, finally made it to the gas station this evening with 101.5 miles on the odometer. It took 1.209 gal to fill up the tank for 83.95 mpg on the first tank. Considering that it's nowhere near broken-in, I'm feeling pretty good about my Buddy.

What do you think?
we found it took a few tanks to increase the MPG- it is always better if you are driving less stop and go. My best mileage was on a group scooter ride -106 mpg, but I usually get in the mid to upper 90 MPG urban driving, heavy throttle :D . My husband, heavier in weight and throttle, gets less MPG than I do, which is not a suprise.
Elm Creek Smith

lobsterman wrote:Sounds good, I'll let you know how I did on my first tank when I finally need to fill it later this week. :)

I love your avatar, btw - a lifting body vehicle if I'm not mistaken.
It's the X-24B lifting body. There was a plan to use an enlarged version of something like this as a "crew return vehicle" (i.e. lifeboat) for the International Space Station before budget cuts gave it the ax. It's cooler than anything I've seen on Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate or Farscape.

I want one with a big freakin' engine and hyperdrive! Talk about your ultimate scooter!

ECS
Elm Creek Smith

peabody99 wrote: we found it took a few tanks to increase the MPG- it is always better if you are driving less stop and go. My best mileage was on a group scooter ride -106 mpg, but I usually get in the mid to upper 90 MPG urban driving, heavy throttle :D . My husband, heavier in weight and throttle, gets less MPG than I do, which is not a suprise.
I'm probably closer to your husband's weight if not more. :( My usual ride to work is pretty much just go for about half of my 16 mile ride. The rest of it pretty much has stop lights every mile. I'm looking forward to better mileage. (Not that I'm unhappy with 83+ mpg!) :D

ECS
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ECS,

No doubt about it, the X24B looks cool. But everybody knows Steve Austin did a face plant with his Lifting Body Vehicle to become the Six Million Dollar Man. :D
Elm Creek Smith

lobsterman wrote:ECS,

No doubt about it, the X24B looks cool. But everybody knows Steve Austin did a face plant with his Lifting Body Vehicle to become the Six Million Dollar Man. :D
"Much of the general public had never heard, or seen, anything about these lifting body designs until watching the 1970s television show The Six Million Dollar Man. The introduction footage showed the M2-F2, piloted by Bruce Peterson, crashing and tumbling violently along the runway. The cause of the crash was attributed to the onset of Dutch roll. Bruce Peterson survived to fly again and, the craft was rebuilt as the M2-F3.

The X-38 was a program under leadership of NASA Johnson Space Center to build a series of incremental flight demonstrators for the proposed Crew Return Vehicle (CRV) for the International Space Station. The X-38 was a lifting body based on the outer mold line of the X-24A."

- From Wikipedia under "lifting bodies."

BTW, I still want one. I figure there should be room in a cargo compartment for my Buddy.

ECS