Can't seem to adjust headlight

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BigColdMartini

Can't seem to adjust headlight

Post by BigColdMartini »

I've turned the 8mm bolt under the headlight both clockwise and counter-clockwise and can't seem to get the headlight to move. Is this bolt suppose to be tight or does it always turn pretty easy with a wrench? My headlight beam is about 24 inches high while parked at 17 feet from a wall. I heard it's suppose to be around 37 inches.

Anyone else have problems adjusting or with this bolt?

Thanks
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

1. Loosen the bolt (counter-clockwise.)
2. Tilt the headlamp up or down as needed (that's why the bolt hole is slotted.)
3. Tighten the bolt (clockwise.)
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
sotied

Post by sotied »

It's a 9MM bolt.

If you're using an 8MM wrench that might be your issue.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

If I understand your post you are getting the bolt loose but the headlight isn't moving? Hard to tell if that's your problem or if you can't get the bolt to move.

If that's the case- just keep trying to gently force the headlight. Mine wouldn't budge even when the bolt was just about out. Then it loosened up.
rajron

Post by rajron »

After I changed out to a PIAA bulb I couldn’t adjust my headlight properly, it points a little too high, no adjustment left – so I thought maybe that’s a good thing, everyone notices me now!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

rajron wrote:After I changed out to a PIAA bulb I couldn’t adjust my headlight properly, it points a little too high, no adjustment left – so I thought maybe that’s a good thing, everyone notices me now!
Being noticed for being obnoxious or dangerous isn't a good thing. I notice the Harely riders with their straight pipes - and want to hit them.

There are reasons for laws concerning headlamps and aiming. If you blind another motorist and they hit you, are you really safer for pointing your headlamp straight into oncoming traffic so 'they see you'?
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

I had to loosen mune quite a bit. Even then, I could not get it to go higher right away. So, I tried pointing it lower and this freed it up. I could then point it higher.
jasoneg77

Post by jasoneg77 »

I had the same problem adjusting my headlight. I took it the dealer and they said the manufacture had screwed it too tight and stripped it out. They replaced that and it adjusts easily now! I still woud like to get a more powerful headlight for all the night riding I do! Any suggestions?
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Thanks for all the feedback. I think mine may be stripped also because it never seems to tighten or loosen, it just keeps turning and nothing happens. I'll have the dealer look at it when I take it in for my first service.

Thanks everyone.