MSF contents in a book?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jhorac1

MSF contents in a book?

Post by jhorac1 »

I've put a deposit down for my light blue Buddy 125 and expect to receive it sometime later this month.

I realize that taking the MSF is highly recommended. Considering my current economic situation, however, it wouldn't really be economical to pay the money for the course in order to get licensed (or would it indeed be economical?).

In any case, I'm rather broke, but would like to be as safe and educated about riding my new scooter as possible without blowing my grocery money on a safety course. Does anyone have any suggestions? Practice methods? Books to buy with relevant road, riding, and safety information? I'm open to anything, and if the only reasonable method to acquire a good set of safe and comfortable riding skills on my new scoot is the MSF, then I guess I'll just have to go without groceries for a while :)

Suggestions?
bunny

Post by bunny »

There are links to the MSF downloads in the New Owners sticky. And there's a book everyone keeps telling me to read. Can't think of it off hand.

Anyhoo. The MSF guides are pretty decent compared with the class, but I have to say if you can swing it, do it. If not, find out where the classes hold practice (usually a HS stadium parking lot), download the practice guide and go to the parking lots near dusk (they usually ride in the AM) and use their markers to practice.

Even though I took the MSF, I still plan to practice on their markers when Bonheur arrives. It's right down the road from me AND I tested on a 50cc and Bonheur is a 150, there will be plenty of handling differences, I'm sure.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

apetit

Post by apetit »

Look at the MSF website http://www.msf-usa.org/. There is information there.

Look at the Motorcycle Tips & Techniques site http://www.msgroup.org/default.aspx . Lots of useful information.

Read "Proficient Motorcycling" by Hough. Again, lots of useful information.

There is no end to the amount of reading you can do on the web about safety. Most of it is good.

But, IMHO (ok, not so humble...), save your pennies and take the course as soon as you can. It never hurts to have someone TELL you stuff.

anthony
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

bunny wrote:And there's a book everyone keeps telling me to read. Can't think of it off hand.
The book is Proficient Motorcyling by David Hough.

I'm in the middle of it now and it's pretty great. I can see it being something I could read a few times over and still pick up new things.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

oops apetit beat me to it!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Here is a link someone posted in another thread not too long ago. It is at the msf.org link posted by apetit:

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Scooter_tips-screen.pdf

This actually has exercises you can practice.

Good luck!
~Celebrate~
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

apetit wrote:Look at the MSF website http://www.msf-usa.org/. There is information there.
I'm adding in...the msf site library has the class book as a nonprintable pdf.
The library section also has two pdf books that are printable 'scooter tips', and 'motorcycle tips'. The exercises differ only slightly and can be set up to be used in virtually any parking lot.

Also, check your state's department of licensing for their motorcycle booklet which gives riding, rules, and safety info, and in some states even include what's covered in the riding test. If yours does, then that's a few more exercises to practice as well.

MSF also has a book out "motorcycling excellence".
Other riding skills books include:
* "Ride Hard, Ride Smart" by Pat Hahn
* "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough
* "Street Strategies" by David Hough
* "More Profiecient Motorcycling" by David Hough
* "Total Control" by Lee Parks
* "Police Rider's Handbook" by ??
etc

In my opinion, studying the state's free booklet, msf's pdfs, and buying a few cones and spending lots of time practicing will pretty much cover what the msf course covers (i wish now that i hadn't made the reservation as that's $200 I could use, and I'm not so scared of the state's motorcycle test anymore).

I really like the 'Ride Hard, Ride Smart' book, and would say that that is possibly better than the MSF's 'Motorcycling Excellence' book. Either or both of these is a good second step.

Hough's books and Parks' books are a good third step...riding skills books to have around to study here and there.

Most of it seems to be geared around either learning about your bike (scooter) and how it works, what makes it do the things it does, traction, speed, theory, etc... and riding strategies. (ie SEE is a strategy (search, evaluate, execute)). Regarding riding strategies, as you study these books and/or what experienced people say, you begin to cherry pick which strategies make sense to you that you're willing to learn and incorporate into your own skill set.

Also, there's the 'ride according to your skills' thought...which means that if you're scared of a type of road, continue developing skills and eventually that road won't seem so scary. 'Ride your ride' thought...which means not to give into peer pressure, but ride according to your own skills (and not the advanced skills of those around you).

There's a lot of push here for the MSF course. But in my opinion, if you're willing and capable of studying from a book and practice in a safe place, the course isn't necessary (though you may want to consider it for reduced insurance costs)...and some people (like me) use it as a way of avoiding the DOL test (which now I realize isn't all that hard/bad..particularly with practice).

oh, and if you're intending on riding a new scoot home, find a way of practicing first...ie msf course can provide such practice, or a friend willing to let you ride their scoot, or possibly even rent a scooter and practice with that.
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

If you're broke, don't buy any books...go to your local library. It looks like the Eugene, OR library doesn't have Proficient Motorcycling, but it does have Street Strategies by the same author.

http://140.211.82.133/Polaris/search/se ... 624&page=0

I gave a copy of the MSF "Scooter Tips" handout to a friend who bought a scoot and she loved it. Short, to the point...and she was quoting bits to me as we rode together. Others have linked above: http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Scooter_tips-screen.pdf
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

siobhan wrote:If you're broke, don't buy any books...go to your local library. It looks like the Eugene, OR library doesn't have Proficient Motorcycling, but it does have Street Strategies by the same author.

http://140.211.82.133/Polaris/search/se ... 624&page=0
Don't forget lots of local libraries will do Interlibrary Loan for items they don't hold on their shelves! If your library doesn't have the Hough books (mine didn't either), it's worth it to call or stop by and ask about ILL. Some libraries charge a small fee for this service, but many - if not most - don't.