Saw my first buddy - first impressions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scooter Bug

Saw my first buddy - first impressions

Post by Scooter Bug »

Prior to today, I had never seen a Buddy in person. I went to motohio because I got a tip that they had some 125s. When I got there I immediately saw a beautiful Italia in the lot! I know I have seen them online, but somehow the colors and the presence are so much more vibrant in person! It had a big SOLD sign on it. But standing there I was thrilled by the compact size and over all vibe of the Buddy. I am 5'1 and it simply looked comfortable and unbulky to me. Next to some larger Vespas, I thought the Buddy really shone...and well...was darn cute!

In addition, there were numerous unspoken for Stellas on the lot. The powder blue one was really eye catching! There were no seafoam 125s, but I got a good feel anyway.

I can't wait to be a buddy to a Buddy!

Does anyone else have a "first encounter" story?
cthoops

Post by cthoops »

I went to the scooter shop just to look around, because I still wasn't sure that I wanted to get a scooter. It was there that I saw Olive. She called to me, and I immediately put down a deposit. Within a week I had sold my car, used the proceeds to take Olive home, and have been happily scooting since!
My other scoot is a road bike.
I'm mod on the inside.
scooterinvasion

Post by scooterinvasion »

Yes. I met my first Buddy last week in Lake Geneva. I just liked the way the Buddy sort of mixes the retro feel with a modern sport bike look. It also left an impression on me of being very well made. I can't wait to plunk my hard earned cash on one of these babies. I think I'm going to name her Holly. Get it??? My Buddy Holly!! :D
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

well I had always been interested of course. I lurked around the scooter shop for at least a year. POC used to be located a block from my office...I know, trouble. I was mostly eying stellas which are not really known to be first time bikes. Then one spring 2006, in May, I think, my coworker and I walked down there. Buddy was in the house. the very first batch. It was love at first sight. We vowed to get one much to the skepticism of significant others. We ran back to the office, did all the research. Got the temps and the rest is history. Now there are 3 buddies and a Kymco in the building parking lot.
spinbud

Bud 125

Post by spinbud »

I got a Buddy 125 6/13 and have put >500 miles on it brakin' it in and commuting to work. Love it, very quick, gets average 107 mpg. Sweety pie is 5" and fits good as the Bud is low, 28" . I recommend it. The Stella is cool, very retro and good for the owner who wants to tinker with it. The Bud is all plastic so if you plan tinker and remove plastic, on and off, get a vespa. The Vespa has culture, history and massive availabilty of parts, manuals and literature. Gettin' parts for the buddy takes a while, for the Vespa, you can order it today, anywhere. :wtf:
jmazza

Re: Saw my first buddy - first impressions

Post by jmazza »

Scooter Bug wrote: Does anyone else have a "first encounter" story?
oh yeah definitely. I had looked at Buddys online for months before finally stepping into a shop that had some.

Walking in and seeing probably 10 of them in a row, all the wheels neatly turned the same way, was a cool moment.

I immediately went up to the one Italia in the shop and looked it over and then sat on it.

Two weeks later that's the one I bought.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I will freely admit just 2 things sold me on the Buddy. I wanted a 125 and was already sold on either a Vino or a Buddy.

- The dealer (POC) is closer to me then the Yamaha dealer.

- 2 year warranty vs. 1 yr warranty.

I think all scooters are pretty, so it wasn't a 'looks' thing. ;)
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Like 7eregrine, I pretty much knew it would be either a Vino or a Buddy. Well, the Lance Vintage was in there for a while too, but a quick call to the various scooter shops in the city shot that idea down quickly.

On the website, the only color that both my wife and I could agree was desirable was the black one. I was liking some of the int'l versions (can't recall which ones), but she wasn't. Then justgottascoot sent me a listing for an '06 orange Buddy 125 (the darker orange, with the brown and orange "interior"). I set up an appointment to see it. I spent the day at work staring at the pictures of the orange Buddy trying to decide whether I should go for it. I got on the phone with my wife a couple times to half-try to convince her and half-ask her to convince me on the color. There was a black Buddy 125 coming into a dealership we knew, and could get a good deal on. So it was excruciating (in that superficial consumer anguish way) to try and decide whether to go for the orange (and have it for the July 4 weekend) or wait for the black one to come in (wouldn't get it till after). Then we saw the orange one. My wife's reaction was love at first sight. I test drove it, asked some questions, and we bought it right there.

:)
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

I agree that the colors are much more exciting in person than online! I bought my '07 Cream Buddy within 30 minutes of "just going to look" to appease my husband last fall. My dealer had plenty of Buddy's in all the '07 colors on the floor at that time and while the pink was quirky and seemed to be a fun novelty color that I might love I kept going back to the cream color. It was a great look that captured a kind of retro feel, and it was classy.

Since I came to the board I got caught up in the "painting" excitement and started thinking of all the color combinations I might like, but then every single time I walked out to the garage I shook my head and immediately knew I didn't want to change the color at all. The cream just looks fine, and I have to say that I think it has been great for visibility too!

It is funny that you mention the size because I was actually impressed with how big it looked! :) Although I am not much taller than you, I always imagined scooters were dinky little things, and when I saw the Buddy I felt like it was significant enough in size that I felt safer with it. The back end is nice and chunky :wink: , and anytime we park someplace and I kick her up on her center stand I am continuously amazed to see that next to my husband's motorcycle she looks like a big girl. :)

And every time I see a Buddy on a lot, driving by, or in line at the dealer's I still get all bubbly and smiley inside! :D
~Celebrate~
growing_wings

Post by growing_wings »

I was supposed to be helping my husband find a replacement for his stolen scooter, looking up reviews etc. Suddenly I found the St Tropez and fell in love, I said "look honey it's so cute!" He sort of rolled his eyes at me and kept looking, he wants a 500cc. Well, we went down to the dealer to take a look at it and I was just in love. Put down a deposit for one right there, without ever riding one. I love it!!!
armacham

Post by armacham »

Originally I was planning on getting a Kymco because I didn't think that the 125 cc buddy was big enough.

Then I saw that they were coming out with the Italia 150 and I knew I had to have it.

77 miles and counting....
scootermama

saw my first buddy - first impressions

Post by scootermama »

My husband and I got the idea in the same week (separately, how's that for the collective unconscious?) that we needed scooters. I had seen the Buddy online, then forgotten I had seen it. We went to 3 scooter shops, almost bought another make, Sym's I think. He was rooting for those, something didn't quite click for me. We spent hours at 3 shops, then came home, scooterless. I got back online, found the Buddy's again, found the dealership here in town that had them and we dragged our tired minds and bodies over there.

It was lust and love at first sight! We were smitten and plunked our $$ down within ten minutes. I got tangerine, he got red. I am like a fool in love, I think about my Buddy all day (her name is Bellaviva) and can't wait to ride her to work and back again. Life is good.
chromebroom

saw my first buddy, first impression

Post by chromebroom »

OK, this is the simple truth. I took my partner with me to test ride a vespa at the dealership. Yes, test ride, because we could each get a $5.00 subway coupon. Yes, I know that is questionable, but hey two 12" subs sounded really good. Well, I am short and so is my partner so could not test ride them. I was looking around and "Oh my what a beauty" the scoot of my dreams. I walked over sat on it and my feet were firmly on the ground. I just stood there, falling in love. Well the rest is history. Two days later we ordered my new scoot. Hey what can I say? Never did get a subway, but I do have my new scoot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Enjoy the Journey and Ride Safe
Scooter Bug

Post by Scooter Bug »

Awww I love these stories!
jmazza

Re: saw my first buddy, first impression

Post by jmazza »

chromebroom wrote:OK, this is the simple truth. I took my partner with me to test ride a vespa at the dealership. Yes, test ride, because we could each get a $5.00 subway coupon. Yes, I know that is questionable, but hey two 12" subs sounded really good. Well, I am short and so is my partner so could not test ride them. I was looking around and "Oh my what a beauty" the scoot of my dreams. I walked over sat on it and my feet were firmly on the ground. I just stood there, falling in love. Well the rest is history. Two days later we ordered my new scoot. Hey what can I say? Never did get a subway, but I do have my new scoot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Nice- "I went in for a sub and came out with a scooter."

I like it.
scooterlove

Post by scooterlove »

I also foujnd the scooters online when I googled for seat heights because I am 5'1" but with a short inseam. I had already decided on a Pomplona but when I got there and saw the St. Tropez I really couldn't decide. Since there was only a Pomplona left I put the deposit down. I could not even ride but it didn't matter it was love at first sight. I even go out in the garage to look at her (I work at home). She just makes me smile.
bunny

Post by bunny »

I had originally gone looking way back in Jan/Feb of this year. Yoda John at Moxie's schooled me and suggested I take the MSF and come back. I was originally looking at the 125 in cream because he had a brand new one in the showroom and it was closer to yellow than green. Well one thing got in the way of another and I put it on the back burner, yet AGAIN.

My SIL and BIL went to London the latter part of May and came back interested in scooters. OH & I took SIL to look at them and suddenly the dream was within sight. Only this time the scooters were flying out the door faster than we could look at them. SIL signed us up for the MSF and OH decided to go ahead and put a deposit down on a scooter so I'd be ready.

Got gear, took the MSF, got the M endorsement and now I have Bonheur.

Life is good.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Xena

Post by Xena »

I had already purchased my Aprilia Mojito from the local shop and then my husband took a fancy to scooting and wanted mine since it was black and chrome and more "masculine" or so he told me.

So off we went to Javaspeed. The owner, Patrick, knew that I wanted a pink scooter and he had JUST gotten in the new Buddy line. I was thinking of getting a pink Stella. Something told me that we needed to go there right after I got out of work and not put the thought off a few days and go look at these scooters called Buddy.

I walked in and there she was. It was like a halo of light shining around her and no other scooters in the shop. She was front and center and all pink and shiny and had the Jolly Roger seat cover already on her. I kept circling her and touching her and getting on and getting off.

Needless to say, my husband bought her for me that day. There was no thinking about it. I just knew she was perfect for me. We have been together for 17 months now.

I am also happy to say that I have the only pink Buddy in Rhode Island.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

With me the best first impression I got was test riding the 125 by zipping all around with it
on the narrow streets of downtown South Philly, following Larry, one of the owners of Philadelphia Scooters, on his Bajah!

I had also been considering a Vino 125 and had test ridden one earlier, but after trying both
scoots on the same day there was no longer any question about my getting the Buddy!
I picked a creme colored one because I had just sold both a red MC and a black scooter,
and thot that creme would make a nice change... 8)

And it certainly has! :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
LMK

Post by LMK »

I first saw a buddy just 2 weeks ago. I've been wanting to get a scooter of some sort, and was thinking about a pricey GTV Vespa, when I saw a little black scooter in a parking lot that said "Buddy 125". I liked the style of the scooter, not sporty like alot of bikes, so I was really interested. I'd never heard of a Buddy before, so when I got home I started looking around the net and doing some research.

After getting some advice and a thumbs up from my motorcycle trainer, I'm now really looking forward to purchasing one. I just want to see the Italia in person before committing.. I'm sure it's just as great if not better in person than all the pics I've seen, but I want to be sure I see it and like it before buying it. :D
bunny

Post by bunny »

LMK wrote:I first saw a buddy just 2 weeks ago. I've been wanting to get a scooter of some sort, and was thinking about a pricey GTV Vespa, when I saw a little black scooter in a parking lot that said "Buddy 125". I liked the style of the scooter, not sporty like alot of bikes, so I was really interested. I'd never heard of a Buddy before, so when I got home I started looking around the net and doing some research.

After getting some advice and a thumbs up from my motorcycle trainer, I'm now really looking forward to purchasing one. I just want to see the Italia in person before committing.. I'm sure it's just as great if not better in person than all the pics I've seen, but I want to be sure I see it and like it before buying it. :D
Take it from me, you will LOVE the Italia! ;)
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

beagldog

Post by beagldog »

I just went in to look around too-last month. There were some Buddy 125's but not alot at Scooter World and they let me test drive one. There was an Italia but it was sold-I really liked the look of the Italia. Then as if it was supposed to be, there appeared a beautiful St. Tropez which wasn't on the floor when I walked in. After my test ride, the St. Tropez was gone. Where did it go? I found out that the St. Tropez was available but the shop was using it for errands but if I wanted it, it was mine. It was one of those situations where the mouth works quicker than the mind and I said OK. Don't regret it at all and I think Linus likes his new home :wink:
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I remember the first time I saw the Buddy. It was at the old university area location of Scooterville. The shop had such a great old brick, sort of coffee shop feel to it almost, and in the back was a short row of about eight Buddies and just couldn't believe how curvy and cool they were. There were old Vespas and even a great old copper-colored Lammy. I just couldn't help but sit on the Buddy. It was so magnetic. Even today, every time I ride my wife's Buddy, I want one.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
WildVitality

Re: Saw my first buddy - first impressions

Post by WildVitality »

Scooter Bug wrote: Does anyone else have a "first encounter" story?
I always thought I was too short for a scooter, because I had ridden 2 up on an old roommate's People 50 around a parking lot, and she made fun of me. :x Then, I see a girl scooting around boulder on a little blue People, tippie toeing it at stoplights. That is when I realized that if she could do it, so could I!

So I went into Sportique to look around and sit on scooters. I sat on a Buddy out front, and had a really nice conversation with an older man who was also checking out scooters. Then I sat on a Vespa - pretty but too much $$. I went inside to talk to the Scooter man, and sat on another Buddy. I sat on that Buddy for probably half an hour, asking questions and just talking. He didn't try to sell me, but was genuine and conversational. He actually sat on a window ledge and drank a soda while we talked.

I hated to get off of that scooter! I put a deposit down before I left, without ever riding one! After that, I did all of my online research, and realized that I actually did good! Haha, that could've turned out badly!

3 weeks later, my Buddy is here, I am so in love, but am at a loss for a name. :) Life is good!
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

My girlfriend and I went scooter shopping one Saturday in late June. We went by several of the local motorcycle dealerships. While they had tons of the 1000+cc monster motorcycles, none of them had anything in scooter or motorcycle lower than 400cc. The Honda and Yamaha guys told us they wouldn't be getting in any more '08s, and the '09s weren't due until sometime mid August. We found one place with a few of the 50cc Apria scooters, but they had a glove box that would barely fit a pair of gloves and cost more than just about any 50cc we had heard of.

Finally went home, and researched some more, and came across Buddy scooters, and our local dealer - Scootersmith. Unfortunately they were closed Sunday and Monday, but Tuesday rolled around, and I gave him a call to see if he had any in stock. He told us he didn't, and had a waiting list a few months long to get one, but had a couple already sold ones there if we wanted to take a look.

When we got there, it was this nice little shop that was all scooters - none of the quiet sneer we got at the motorcycle places - the "oh ... you're not buying a REAL bike" kind of vibe. Steve was as nice and friendly as could be, let us sit on a gorgeous green buddy. He said he wasn't going to have any Buddys until August or September, but had one St. Tropez left from his July shipment we could put a deposit on. The friendly vibe and just fun shape of the scooter had me sold. We chatted for another 5 min, then out came the checkbook. It should be here within a week, and I can't wait.