Rear Brake Lever Replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vegasbuddy

Rear Brake Lever Replacement

Post by vegasbuddy »

My replacement rear brake lever finally came from scooterworks and I was attempting to install it but hit a snag.

I've searched through the other threads about brake levers, but couldn't find anything on this specific step, so I'm hoping for some help.

I have the top frame off and the screw out of the existing lever. I cannot figure out how to remove the cable from the lever. Specifically, where the cable comes out of the rubber tubing and in to the actual lever. It is held in place with a round piece that fits snug in the lever.

Anyone have some good tips?

Thanks much!!!
rickko

Re: Rear Brake Lever Replacement

Post by rickko »

vegasbuddy wrote:My replacement rear brake lever finally came from scooterworks ...

Thanks much!!!
I just did this replacement.

Here's what you need to do. Go to the rear and release/remove the rear brake adjusting nut (gold-ish in color) [1]. Be sure to note how far it is threaded before you start.

The way you remove it is to force the black lever [2] forward (its resistance is the spring [4] you see around the rear brake cable rod). Push the lever [2] forward, then you can use your fingers to unscrew and remove the nut. Don't let the gold-ish pivot-axle [3] fall out of the lever.

With the nut removed go back to your lever on the handlebar and wiggle it out of position after you've removed the screw holding it to the bracket ( don't wiggle it out to far or you'll have trouble getting the everything together at the rear brake drum when trying to thread the brake adjusting screw back onto the cable rod) so you can see the cable under the lever. Rotate the lever towards the handlebar grip so you can pull the the cable off through the slot under the lever.

Replace the new lever reversing the technique to insert the cable into it.

Put the lever in position so the lever-screw can be re-tightened.

Go to the rear of the bike again. (This is the hard part. Two people would make this easier but with a little persistence you can do it by yourself). Pull the cable rod [4] back through the lever's [2] pivot axle [3] so you can screw the adjusting nut [1] back onto it. Tighten the nut [1] to where it was and align it onto the axle [3], or use your owner's manual to determine the proper adjustment.

That's it! See pic:

Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
black sunshine

Re: Rear Brake Lever Replacement

Post by black sunshine »

rickko wrote:
vegasbuddy wrote:My replacement rear brake lever finally came from scooterworks ...

Thanks much!!!
I just did this replacement.

Here's what you need to do. Go to the rear and release/remove the rear brake adjusting nut (gold-ish in color) [1]. Be sure to note how far it is threaded before you start.

The way you remove it is to force the black lever [2] forward (its resistance is the spring [4] you see around the rear brake cable rod). Push the lever [2] forward, then you can use your fingers to unscrew and remove the nut. Don't let the gold-ish pivot-axle [3] fall out of the lever.

With the nut removed go back to your lever on the handlebar and wiggle it out of position after you've removed the screw holding it to the bracket ( don't wiggle it out to far or you'll have trouble getting the everything together at the rear brake drum when trying to thread the brake adjusting screw back onto the cable rod) so you can see the cable under the lever. Rotate the lever towards the handlebar grip so you can pull the the cable off through the slot under the lever.

Replace the new lever reversing the technique to insert the cable into it.

Put the lever in position so the lever-screw can be re-tightened.

Go to the rear of the bike again. (This is the hard part. Two people would make this easier but with a little persistence you can do it by yourself). Pull the cable rod [4] back through the lever's [2] pivot axle [3] so you can screw the adjusting nut [1] back onto it. Tighten the nut [1] to where it was and align it onto the axle [3], or use your owner's manual to determine the proper adjustment.

That's it! See pic:

this is the hardest thing on earth to do right now. does anybody have good tips on doing this more easily?
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

specifically, the last step. i can NOT get that thing to go through!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Are you having trouble getting the cable back far enough?

Or is it just getting it back and holding it while getting everything in the right place and replacing the nut?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

ericalm wrote:Are you having trouble getting the cable back far enough?

Or is it just getting it back and holding it while getting everything in the right place and replacing the nut?
the latter. even had someone else try and help . . . multiple needle nose pliers and much swearing later, no go :-(
rickko

Post by rickko »

I think the key is at the lever. Once the cable is connected to the lever have one person manipulate in such a way that you get more slack in the cable at the brake drum.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568