The Demise of Bubbles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

OKBubbles

The Demise of Bubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

I have totalled my baby :cry: !!

I was pulling out of a parking space at a shopping center, but had not allowed myself enough turning radius to clear the rear end of a H3 parked next to me. Smashed into the spare tire mounted on the back, and evidently the rubber tire surface was enough to "grab" the front panel/upper cowl (??), push the handlebar/cowl up and backwards, and cause the frame to buckle!! Fell over sideways and the cowl upper and lower parts separated, the rear brake handle broke off, etc., etc., etc. I was wearing boots, jeans, mesh jacket, gloves and helmet, so had absolutely NO damage to me -- but Bubbles is a wreck! Completely my fault, and absolutely stupid.

We loaded her onto a friend's pickup and drove her the 2 miles to Tulsa Scooters, where Brad the Ace Mechanic delivered the bad news. I do have full coverage, but it will be for "used value", and I will have to make up the difference for a new one -- whenevertheheck one actually comes in

Bubbles has exactly 946.8 miles on her, of which I put on 944.8. I am heartbroken.
docutech

Post by docutech »

Aw that sux. Glad to hear you are okay though. The scoot can be replaced.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

Oh no! :( :(

Glad you are ok but Bubbles, noooOooOoooOO!
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

This is really bad news. I am VERY attached to my 1st Buddy and I don't think I would take it as well as you.

But,... that said, I think the the Scooters will eventually win the war against the Hummers and we can remember Bubbles as one of our heroes!
Scooting is ZEN....
Christy

Post by Christy »

oh no!!!!

i'm glad you are AOK, but I'm very sorry to hear bubbles has met it's end. :(
EPSP #76
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Bummer! Sorry to hear it, but I'm glad to hear you were doing that ATGATT thing and weren't hurt. Would you pls do us a favor and log your crash experience in our Who's Crashed thread? Thanks!
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

OMG!
Glad that you are OK.

Sorta sucks that a Hummer took out the Buddy – and what’s with how weak the frame is?? This is not the first frame I heard of failing!
potamus

Post by potamus »

OMG - i am so sad for you!!!! :whew: Poor Bubbles! Glad you are ok, but I know how much love and care you poured on Bubbles - she will be missed!
I hope you can get another scooter before next summer.......

sue
sotied

Post by sotied »

BLOWS Bubbles.

So sorry for you.

How fast were you going or was it just a simple turn-around and then a little goose of the throttle into the wheel of the Hummer?
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

Oh MAN I am so sad to hear about this. Of course it is wonderful that you're ok, but BUBBLES!!! NOOOOOO!!! Are you getting another scoot? Will you still put some bubble stickers on her? Sorry dude - total bummer.
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
butero

Post by butero »

My condolences to you on the loss of Bubbles. :(
I'm glad you made it out o.k.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

So so sorry to hear this! Bubbles died in a valiant way.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Really sorry to hear of the demise of your loved one, but at least you didn't get hurt, and that's the important thing. A scooter can be replaced...

But like many things in life, there could be a silver lining to this. Trevo_man in the "Problems while installing slider weights" thread has a 125cc Buddy that might be in need of a heart transplant (engine) and might be looking for a donor. :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Sorry to hear about Bubbles, but like everyone else I am glad to hear you made it through okay.

I can't think of a prettier place for Bubbles to have lived than "Green Country," and I can't wait to see her reincarnation! :)
~Celebrate~
WillScootMN

Post by WillScootMN »

I have yet to get my scoot, and I can't imagine what you are going through, very sad to hear.

I am a little curious and concerned about the amount of damage at what I am assuming (I know we shouldn't assume) was a low spead. I hope this much damage isn't that common at low speed, and that this much damage (total) is some freak incident.

Any experts opinion/thoughts on the buddy frame strength/durability would be greatly appreciated.
Pekabou

Post by Pekabou »

My condolences! Your poor scoot! (glad *you* are ok though!)
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

Major bummer! I hope you find a new scoot that will ease the pain a bit. :cry:
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
heavypetting

Post by heavypetting »

Viva la Bubbles!

I know you don't think it now, but you were lucky to have your first crash not be in moving traffic and emerge unscathed. Some lessons are much more painful (physically).
My chicken is smarter than your honor student!
www.mrjoy.net
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Bummer. Sorry for to hear of your misfortune. I hate to bring this up while the engine's still warm but, when the insurance company totals her you have a chance to buy it off of them for cheap. If you part it out you may get some extra cash to help off set the purchase of a new one. Think of her as a scooter organ donor. Besides the frame and some body panels the engine, traney, and such are practically brand new. Just a thought. I'm glad at least you came out in one piece.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

djelliott wrote:I hate to bring this up while the engine's still warm but, when the insurance company totals her you have a chance to buy it off of them for cheap.
That's the second time I've read this here lately- I had no idea this is true but yah I'd buy it for parts, the engine, etc. You could do well (as others have already said) selling it here in the For Sale section!
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Geez, Nanc! A Hummer? First you try something easy, like a Yugo, or a Fiat, or, better yet, a Trabant! Then you work your way up.

Sorry about ol' Blue, but I'm pleased you got the AGATT thing down. Most importantly, did you scuff your boots?

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
StacyB

Post by StacyB »

Bubbles, so sorry to hear this. Not sure what to say in times like this other than definitely glad you are ok. As has already been said, the scooter can be replaced.
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

Many thanks for the condolences and kind words from everyone. It's been really tough not to just break down in tears. I keep telling myself, "It's only a THING, and can be replaced, and I wasn't hurt, so what's the big deal?" But, dangit! Bubbles was my baby! And I absolutely LOVED every minute of riding her. And every time I walked out the door and saw her sitting there I started grinning.

Darling Nathan, who was my salesman at Tulsa Scooters, said it's kind of like losing a beloved pet dog after only having it as a part of your family for a year. The furry little thing is there every day, and you think you'll have it around for many years, and it will pass away in its sleep at an advanced age. But then the dog gets sick and dies way too early. And, in many ways, he's right. Bubbles had a personality, she was fun to hang out with, and I was expecting many more activities and adventures with her. But now . . .

Yes, I'll be replacing Bubbles, but it won't be quite the same. I even have a line on a possibility right here in town. A good friend of mine won a cream Buddy in a raffle last fall, but is too timid to ride it. Her husband has put a total of 125 miles on it just bopping around the neighborhood, but they are just not into scootering enough to get serious about it. I'm thinking a decent offer to them -- very close to what I'll get from the insurance co. -- could work out well for all concerned. They are on vacation this week, but I'll see them at church on Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed.

(Of course, now I have to figure out how to get the panels off -- or tape them out -- in order to turn the cream into baby blue!)
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

jmazza wrote:So so sorry to hear this! Bubbles died in a valiant way.
Yeah no kidding, trying to take down a hummer. :shock:

RIP Bubbles...

Glad you were not hurt OKBubbles.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Good luck with the cream Buddy, Nancy. Hey, salvage your basket--it'll look great on a cream Buddy! I'm so glad you're ok!

("keyed" the hummer, I hope) :wink:
Last edited by pugbuddy on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
bunny

Post by bunny »

Oh. This is horrible! I am so glad you are okay, but I totally get the feeling.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Bubbles Jr.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

UXO

Post by UXO »

I am glad you are okbubbles. You weren't talking on a cell phone were you?

I can say this junk cause I'm old and you have to respect me. :P
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

rajron wrote:OMG!
Glad that you are OK.

Sorta sucks that a Hummer took out the Buddy – and what’s with how weak the frame is?? This is not the first frame I heard of failing!
thats what i'm wondering. the dealership didn't get to look at my first bud, so i'll never really know if it was really totaled or not.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

OKBubbles wrote:
(Of course, now I have to figure out how to get the panels off -- or tape them out -- in order to turn the cream into baby blue!)
i bet the dealer would be willing to swap the panels out for you, just so they could offer some other customer "the last cream scooter"
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

Change the cream into a Baby Blue/Cream. That would look great!
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

gymnation wrote:Change the cream into a Baby Blue/Cream. That would look great!
i second that... keep the cream on the bottom, and switch out the upper stuff withthe blue!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

rajron wrote: Sorta sucks that a Hummer took out the Buddy – and what’s with how weak the frame is?? This is not the first frame I heard of failing!
Sounds more like the Buddy tried to take out the Hummer and it didn't go well. (important safety tip for next time)

I'm not so sure I'd call things like this a "frame failure". What happens when you drive your car into a lamp post at 10 or 15 mph? A front end failure?

Hang in there "OKBubbles".
Last edited by Dooglas on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beagldog

Post by beagldog »

I think we should all put a bubble sticker on our Buddies in memory of Bubbles-kind of like the sports teams do. Very glad to hear you're OK though. :(
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

DIE HUMMER!

Image Image
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

djelliott wrote:DIE HUMMER!

Image Image
:rofl:
~Celebrate~
OKBubbles

Post by OKBubbles »

djelliott wrote:DIE HUMMER!

Image Image
This is the absolute best laugh I have had in days! And I certainly need it right now.

Thanks, dj -- you're the best!
aerogirl7

Post by aerogirl7 »

weaseltamer wrote:
rajron wrote:OMG!
Glad that you are OK.

thats what i'm wondering. the dealership didn't get to look at my first bud, so i'll never really know if it was really totaled or not.
In my experience the frame is pretty strong, it's how you attack it that makes the difference. I had a full on collision with a minivan last year at about 35-40 mph and only ended up with some cracked panels. Of course I had the chrome front rack that took the brunt of the impact, preventing crushing of the front-end. In the case of Bubbles, the strange angle of force from the Hummer-Wheel friction probably created no alternative than for the frame to buckle.
At midnight, I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper. ~Roman Holiday
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

any engineers wanna chime in on this? :nerd:
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Whoa! Sorry to hear about Bubbles misfortune. :(

Sure hope the Cream Buddy works out for you. Wait on painting it, you may find you like the Cream Buddy. Maybe someone has some panels they want to swap with you.
pdxer

Post by pdxer »

I'm gonna take a bubble bath tonight and think of bubbles. may bubbles rest in peace. glad to hear you're gonna get another buddy. maybe bubbles was manufactured and placed here to teach you a valuable riding lesson. her job here was complete.....she will live on in another buddy yet to be built for sure. i believe in buddy reincarnation.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

pdxer wrote:I'm gonna take a bubble bath tonight and think of bubbles. may bubbles rest in peace. glad to hear you're gonna get another buddy. maybe bubbles was manufactured and placed here to teach you a valuable riding lesson. her job here was complete.....she will live on in another buddy yet to be built for sure. i believe in buddy reincarnation.
Awww.... :)
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

Really sorry about that. I would wear black for about a month. Any chance on pics of the damage, I'm having trouble visualizing it. Also someone should submit an image of bubbles beating the hummer for the new buttons, I'd wear one.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

+1 on the button idea!
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

While at the shop earlier, I took at look at Bubbles.

I swear it does not look that bad. The casing for the headlight and such is broken, etc. But it doesn't look horribly mangled by any means.

Just goes to show you what you don't see is sometimes worse than what you do see.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
pdxer

Post by pdxer »

in memorium
Attachments
P1000148.JPG
P1000148.JPG (84.26 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Sorry to hear about your beloved Bubbles. Are you sure there's no way to turn her into a Frankenscooter? :twisted:
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

pdxer wrote:I'm gonna take a bubble bath tonight and think of bubbles. may bubbles rest in peace. glad to hear you're gonna get another buddy. maybe bubbles was manufactured and placed here to teach you a valuable riding lesson. her job here was complete.....she will live on in another buddy yet to be built for sure. i believe in buddy reincarnation.
Ah, grasshopper! You may yet become a true Buddyist. "Praise to Buddy!" and "Shall We Scoot" - From The King and I

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
OScoot!

Post by OScoot! »

Oh, so sorry to hear about this. Glad you're OK though. This too shall pass and you will once again be "Bubbly"....
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

bummer
:(

i guess your second love is never the same as your first. hang in there! let me know when youre ready to roll and we'll have a meet-up.