Lighter/Power outlet not working

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sotied

Lighter/Power outlet not working

Post by sotied »

Hey. I just tried to plug in my emergency light (you know, like a flashing tow truck light) into Scootle.

It started every so briefly to spin, but then stopped. And even when I turned her on, the light wouldn't light up or spin.

I tried the plug in many different directions but no go.

Anyone else ever use the power socket? Now I'm afraid that it might not be able to charge my phone or inflate the toy that I bought at that store with the darkened windows and sleazy looking guy at the cash register.

HELP!
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

*continued from other thread...*

I havent tried it out yet... i guess i should first
sotied

Post by sotied »

I thought I had posted it as a new item and then wanted to know what went so horribly wrong that it didn't show up. THEN I thought that I was being censored. THEN I guessed that the lighter/socket/power plug was part of the conspiracy to wipe out all other scooter brands by planting listening devices in each Buddy. But they're placed in the power socket and block the power. SO now the sockets don't work but people don't notice because they're out riding all the time and not texting, talking or charging their phones.

So, if you have a chance, go check your power plug and see if it works. Maybe I need to use a lower-power device. But if it wouldn't even get the light spinning or working when Scootle was running, I fear something is amiss.

Good thing I haven't modified my front lights yet. This could be a warranty issue! YAY!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

you probably blew the fuse. It's only 1amp. If you open up the front and follow the wire from the socket you'll find a little plastic tab that holds the fuse. It's a fuse just for the socket, not for the whole system.

I blew mine trying to use an air compressor. yeah, like that was gonna work. Others have blown it using heated gloves.

It also could be that your gas isn't high enough octane.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i think its the windshield...

and if not that... the weight of his rollers...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As "jmazza" says, check the fuse first. Odds are high that you blew it. Many 12v items beyond small electronics - and many trickle chargers - draw (or produce) more than one amp. You hook one up, you blow the fuse, you're done.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

jmazza wrote:you probably blew the fuse. It's only 1amp. If you open up the front and follow the wire from the socket you'll find a little plastic tab that holds the fuse. It's a fuse just for the socket, not for the whole system.

I blew mine trying to use an air compressor. yeah, like that was gonna work. Others have blown it using heated gloves.

The EXACT same thing happen to me. I went to sooo many auto parts stores and could not find a 1amp fuse so I threw a 2amp in there (I talked it over with my scooter shop and they said it was no problem using a 2 instead of a 1)
Drumwoulf

Re: Lighter/Power outlet not working

Post by Drumwoulf »

sotied wrote:Hey. I just tried to plug in my emergency light (you know, like a flashing tow truck light) into Scootle.

It started every so briefly to spin, but then stopped. And even when I turned her on, the light wouldn't light up or spin.

I tried the plug in many different directions but no go.

Anyone else ever use the power socket? Now I'm afraid that it might not be able to charge my phone or inflate the toy that I bought at that store with the darkened windows and sleazy looking guy at the cash register.

HELP!
You blew the fuse! Those sockets aren't meant for high powered applications! -Work just fine for plugging in a Battery Tender tho... :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

It also could be that your gas isn't high enough octane.
MikieTaps wrote:i think its the windshield...

and if not that... the weight of his rollers...

uhoh. AAAAHHHAAAAAHAHRRRRRGGGGGGGG :goofy:
sotied

Post by sotied »

Talk to me about 1AMP vs. 2AMP fuses. Should I just search everywhere until I find the 1AMP?

And can I run Scootle with no issues and leave the fuse blown for now? I wasn't planning on taking off the front until I modified the dead lights. And that's a project for later this summer.

Finally, I don't have a windshield and I put in a little 89 and a little more 89 octane. SO I'm using 178 Octane. Shouldn't that be enough?
chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

ok, I'm confused, are you guys using the battery to charge the battery with a battery tender? That makes NO sense.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

sotied wrote:Talk to me about 1AMP vs. 2AMP fuses. Should I just search everywhere until I find the 1AMP?

And can I run Scootle with no issues and leave the fuse blown for now? I wasn't planning on taking off the front until I modified the dead lights. And that's a project for later this summer.

Finally, I don't have a windshield and I put in a little 89 and a little more 89 octane. SO I'm using 178 Octane. Shouldn't that be enough?

just to be safe throw some biodiesel in there.... it will burn cleaner

*This is totally a joke... if someone new reads this and actually puts biodiesel in your buddy it will not work, you WILL mess up your buddy! You have been warned
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Sotied- I don't know if you might potentially do damage with a 2 amp fuse. Obviously a 2 amp fuse will obviously let twice as much current through before burning, and also obviously the fuse was put there in the first place to prevent too much current from going through and burning up something else.

However, you could be just fine with a 2 amp fuse. I'm guessing you would be, but I usually go cautious when it comes to electrical systems.

I had to find the 1 amp fuse in a multi pack with lots of different fuses a 1 amp, a couple 2 amps, etc. But you should be able to find it and no you are not doing any damage to the scoot by running with this fuse blown. It's only for the power outlet, so if you don't want to use your outlet (I've NEVER used mine) then you don't even have to worry about it.

chancerbeans13 wrote:ok, I'm confused, are you guys using the battery to charge the battery with a battery tender? That makes NO sense.
No- the Battery Tender can charge the battery via an adapter that plugs into the Buddy's power outlet.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

OK, some of you electrical guys answer this. Is the purpose of the fuse not to protect the wiring, not whatever you are plugging in? If so, could you change to heavier wire and a bigger fuse and be safe? How much wire are we talking about?

Biodiesel has been rated at 1.7 amps. Brazil has been running studies since the 70's. Do not use it in your Buddy, it will really screw it up. The 87 recommendation is due to a lower atmospheric amperage of 0.07 amps which holds true from sea level through about 8,000 feet. Beyond that you might want to think about dinner.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

thanks for clearing that up for me :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

Now I think I've got it. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Biodiesel can be mixed with Miracle Whip to make a solution that will clean up the Buddy's panels before painting.

After putting a new 1AMP fuse in my socket's wiring, I should test it by sticking my tongue in it. The same way we tested 9V batteries when I worked at the factory.

Sushi and ice cream will keep in the pet carrier for only four hours. Don't exceed this.

You can fry an egg on the muffler of a Vino but not a Buddy or Ruckus.

Mikie is so fine...but really, really fat.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

sotied wrote:Now I think I've got it. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Biodiesel can be mixed with Miracle Whip to make a solution that will clean up the Buddy's panels before painting.

After putting a new 1AMP fuse in my socket's wiring, I should test it by sticking my tongue in it. The same way we tested 9V batteries when I worked at the factory.

Sushi and ice cream will keep in the pet carrier for only four hours. Don't exceed this.

You can fry an egg on the muffler of a Vino but not a Buddy or Ruckus.

Mikie is so fine...but really, really fat.
You got it. Nailed it. All except that last part. I don't know who told you Mikie was so fine. His mom?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

You guys better watch it otherwise I will crush you with my fat ass!!!
bunny

Post by bunny »

You're supposed to use your thumb and index finger positioned sideways to crush someone's head...get it right, dude!
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

dfwbill

Post by dfwbill »

jmazza wrote: I had to find the 1 amp fuse in a multi pack with lots of different fuses a 1 amp, a couple 2 amps, etc.
OK where did you find the 1 amp in the multi pack? I've been to 5 auto parts stores and they all give me the "Deer in the headlight" look.
My Buddy is a Hornet!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

there arent any 1 amp fuses left... Sotied ate them all.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

dfwbill wrote:
jmazza wrote: I had to find the 1 amp fuse in a multi pack with lots of different fuses a 1 amp, a couple 2 amps, etc.
OK where did you find the 1 amp in the multi pack? I've been to 5 auto parts stores and they all give me the "Deer in the headlight" look.
I'm pretty certain it was at an AutoZone. Nothing special... I just searched through the massive amounts of fuses they have on their wall o' fuses and found it.

I think another member here recently said he found the same pack at AutoZone.
sotied

Post by sotied »

MikieTaps wrote:there arent any 1 amp fuses left... Sotied ate them all.
I totally missed this comment the first time by. I've gotta set up a regular search for the terms "fat" "sotied" "mikie" and "Modern Buddy Time-out initiated by moderator".

:-)

Fat Chance!
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com