Ran into a know it all today!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

apierce

Ran into a know it all today!

Post by apierce »

You know...I don't mind if people come up to me and ask about my scoot, but I really hate it when they come up to you and say...be careful on that thing! I said...you think? He said why did you get a scooter, is it because of gas prices? I said...I've always wanted one. He said...well be careful on that thing!

Duuuuuhhhhhhh!!!! I'm not some recklace driver. I know that it could be dangerous! Does he think we are idiots or something????
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Are you sure it wasn't your mother wearing a fake beard?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT, KID! :mrgreen:
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Take it easy on the guy. Some people are just like that. Im sure it wasnt meant to be condescending or anything negative like that. The lady that works the register at my local 7-11 convenience store always makes that "be careful out there" comment anytime i run in at lunch break on days I have my scooter, and walk in wearing my mesh jacket and carrying my helmet.

You also dont know what the person knows from personal experience. He may have had a bad accident in the past and is just concerned, passing on some bit of false security back to you thinking it will prevent you from making the same mistake he made in the past.

I'd honestly rather have that kind of comment, then "Idiot, why the hell did you buy a stupid scooter for? Get a real bike loser..."
apierce

Post by apierce »

Yeah...no doubt!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Ummm, gosh, I really saw nothing wrong with it. Somebody is reading a lot between the lines or missed something. Must be me.
apierce

Post by apierce »

I hear stuff like that all the time, especially at work, and I guess sometimes it makes me think...should I have gotten this scooter? Maybe I am headed for disaster.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, motorcylists and scooter drivers probably get this all the time out there.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

apierce wrote:I hear stuff like that all the time, especially at work, and I guess sometimes it makes me think...should I have gotten this scooter? Maybe I am headed for disaster.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, motorcylists and scooter drivers probably get this all the time out there.
Just nod and say I will and go on. There are people out there who are afraid of everything and would probably find something dangerous about breathing if it were voluntary.

You are on two wheels. You have stepped away from the herd. Expect it. Be glad.
apierce

Post by apierce »

Thanks that makes me feel better. :wink:
scullyfu

Re: Ran into a know it all today!

Post by scullyfu »

apierce wrote:You know...I don't mind if people come up to me and ask about my scoot, but I really hate it when they come up to you and say...be careful on that thing! I said...you think? He said why did you get a scooter, is it because of gas prices? I said...I've always wanted one. He said...well be careful on that thing!

Duuuuuhhhhhhh!!!! I'm not some recklace driver. I know that it could be dangerous! Does he think we are idiots or something????
maybe the warning was because he knows that mc's and scooters are virtually invisible to some drivers. he wasn't implying you were going to be reckless, but that others are sometimes less than observant. you know, some people do actually care about others well-being.

hell, i tell the fedex, ups and dhl drivers to be careful. why? because i think they're reckless in those big old boxes? no. because i know how people drive and think they can cut off anyone on the road.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I say "Be Careful" or "Ride Safe" (or SafeLY if I'm being grammatically correct) to strangers AND friends, it's just force of habit, I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm just trying to show I care about them. It's like "Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up," it's just a salutation, I think most people are aware that you're supposed to keep the rubber side down.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Last night I came out of pub and there was a gritty Biker guy checking out my scooter. I had a great chat with him. He thought the buddy was cool and was impressed when I told him how well it performs. Throughout our conversation he made many mentions of "be careful out there" or "you take care of yourself on these roads" and "ride safe brother". Are you kidding me? Coming from him I felt honored. Here's a leather chaps wearing handle bar mustached life long biker totally accepting me and my little safety orange scoot. What a great guy. I hope I run into him again.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think it's because he saw you pop that wheelie in the parking lot before sliding into your parking space doing a stoppie. Cutting off the old lady (his wife) in the wheelchair when you pulled those maneuvers didn't help. Then again, maybe it was your "EAT ME" personalized license plate. :wink:
Last edited by k1dude on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Smiziley

Post by Smiziley »

DennisD wrote:Ummm, gosh, I really saw nothing wrong with it. Somebody is reading a lot between the lines or missed something. Must be me.
Same here..but then again tone of voice and body language don't really make it to the internets.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

the internets
There's more than one?!? Al Gore's been busy!!! :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

[quote="DennisD"]
You are on two wheels. You have stepped away from the herd. Expect it. Be glad.[/quoe]

Well said.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Artisan

Post by Artisan »

Look on it as someone wishing you well, not as a put down. It sounds like you are younger than this person.This person may have kids your age and worries about them on the road and transfered it over to you. And I rather have a stranger care about what happens to me than be taunting me from his big SUV.

The older, hardcore bikers I know go around all the time wishing a "ride safe" to one another. They seem to use it like a vocalized talisman or charm against anything on the road that might harm them.
Tenchi

I've been there, and wished I had listened.....

Post by Tenchi »

Eight years ago, wrecked a pristine Honda GL650 by locking up the front brakes at speed, flipped over the bars, and ended up in the emergency room. Even with a thick jacket, got a nasty road rash. I tell youngsters the same thing when I meet up with them on my scoot. I am not being a busy body, just don't want anyone to end up like I did. Consider it good advice!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

apierce wrote:You know...I don't mind if people come up to me and ask about my scoot, but I really hate it when they come up to you and say...be careful on that thing! I said...you think? He said why did you get a scooter, is it because of gas prices? I said...I've always wanted one. He said...well be careful on that thing!

You know, it kind of reminds me of another thread here recently. hehehe
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

ScooterDave wrote:

You know, it kind of reminds me of another thread here recently. hehehe
Yeah, my thinking exactly. Sort of drips with irony. And, as Illnoise said, this type of remark is a common salutation among riders. Most riders, no matter what they're riding, care about each other because they understand the risks. That's why, when someone approaches me with some sort of comment, my first question to them is "what do your ride?" If they're riders, I'll listen, if not I'll move on. But, this guy's comments were completely inoffensive so I probably would've just smiled and said thanks for your concern.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

yeah that thread on how the n00bs should be corrected for not riding their scooter the proper way.

everyones going to have a different reaction on those 'be careful out there' comments, nobody has stressed me that except for my mother, who freaks out even more now ever since my accident 2 months ago.

but if someone were to walk up to me and tell me to be careful, i wouldn't be offended, its always good to be reminded, right? it makes you think twice before doing something unsafe
Glen G

DUDE``!!

Post by Glen G »

CLEARLY, he was Obi-Wan Kenobi doing the Jedi Mind trick on you BRO.... Don't fall for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I'd take a "be careful out there" any day over a "What are you? Crazy?" or the like. People show concern in different ways but a be careful and ride safe are definitely positive well wishes :)

Have Fun and Ride Safe
- Corsair
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I reply with a cheerful, "Thank! You too!" because dude...I know at LEAST three pedestrians who have recently been hit by cars. Walkers, pshaw! What a bunch of show-off risk takers. :shock:
ModBud #442
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

Call me heartless, but I always ass-u-me that people that ride scooters or motorcycles, trains, jetplanes (or packs), cars, trucks, boats, waterskiis, suvs, or shoes :wink: know the risk before going out into the concrete jungle.

If not, tough luck, should've known better :shock:
scooterdyke

Post by scooterdyke »

now we can add "recklace" into the "spelling scoots" thread!! :lol:
Xena

Post by Xena »

scooterdyke wrote:now we can add "recklace" into the "spelling scoots" thread!! :lol:
LMAO :P