First heckling - 5 days in

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

First heckling - 5 days in

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

Hello all - I just need to vent a little and share what happened today.

I was coming out of the grocery store with a bag of groceries and I noticed 3 very distinguished young gentlemen (please read the exact opposite of that description) about to get in their small SUV, probably belonged to one of their mothers. As I approached Tony to disarm and load the groceries, I heard "Hey Lady!" from one of them, followed by Beavis-like snickering.

I ignored them and continued my get-going routine, tempering the heckle by thinking of my $4.20 fill-up yesterday compared to their $80. But it is still a little unnerving. With people willing to shout taunts like that, it would take very little for it to escalate to assault.

I don't understand the mindset, maybe they never had to face any consequences or anything. But where I grew up (rural Alaska), we had to assume everyone was carrying a shotgun and were correct about 50% of the time. Don't mess with people's stuff, don't go on their property, don't taunt them. You don't know what they'll do.

I am timid. I am open-minded. Picking a fight is not my idea of something good to pass the time. Just don't understand. I've seen little taunts become serious altercations in half a second. Weird. We are apparently still apes protecting our food and status.

Also, I get a little satisfaction in thinking that it took very little (just a guy getting on a scooter) to threaten them. they have ISSUES! OR are maybe just stupid and need a hug.

That is all. Going to play with my awesome kids now...

~SITR
sikken

Post by sikken »

don't feel bad about it. like you said, 3 young a-holes driving mommy's SUV... what is there to get upset about? i was actually surpised yesterday i got my first scooter, my vespa gts. i used to own a ninja and well I was part of the "real" motorcycle crowd, and i didn't expect to get any "real" motorcycle "waves" while riding yesterday, but I actually got two...
Some people get it...
ScootingInTheRain

sikken wrote:don't feel bad about it. like you said, 3 young a-holes driving mommy's SUV... what is there to get upset about? i was actually surpised yesterday i got my first scooter, my vespa gts. i used to own a ninja and well I was part of the "real" motorcycle crowd, and i didn't expect to get any "real" motorcycle "waves" while riding yesterday, but I actually got two...
Some people get it...
Yeah - thanks for reminding me. I get waves all the time! I even got a wave from a big wide low flat triker today! I tried to wave at a pair of girls on a scooter the other day, but they were riding 2-up with half-helmets, shorts, tanks, sandals on a very dangerous road. I'm glad they didn't wave back, they looked like they could barely hold the scoot upright.

Anyway - waving make me happy. I try to mix it up - the Geek, the low palm out, the quick 2-finger up, the wide 2-finger down, etc.

And a good heckle - a young dood in a utility truck yesterday pulled up alongside and said - "niiccceee...". I smiled and nodded.

~SITR
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

when someone tries to push my buttons I always have to remember...

They are MY buttons!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

I was at a city park a while back (before I was a scooterist) and there was this guy probly in his 40's getting on his scooter to leave the parking lot (it was an older vespa) and these kids (probly middleschool or so) yelling out at him things like "your gay" and "nice scooter fag!" and to my suprise the guy was real calm. he put his helmet on and just ignored them untill they started throwing gravel at him (I was totaly appauled that some one would do such a thing). Did he jump up and chase them down and beat some tail....no. He just started his scoot and got ready to leave. The kids were too stupid to realize that he was parked on gravel and his rear tire was facing them...

The effect when he hit his throttle was something of a cross between a shotgun and machine gun.... needless to say, after being pelted by rocks, the kids learned their lesson....I think one of them took a piece in the eye...

I am not condoning what the guy did, hey maybe he was a new rider and just gave it too much throttle...

I don't think that retribution is the answer, SITR what you did by ignoring them was the bigger and more mature thing to do....I wish I had that kind of self controll.

I still think it was funny seing the look on those kids faces right as the torrent of gravel came their way.....
brandon75173

Post by brandon75173 »

I was expecting to get alot more idiotic feedback from people, but for the most part its pretty good. Had a few guys yell fag and things of that nature, but not much. What these folks dont realize is that we are all good shape working class type guys that could tie them in a knot. I try to be past that point of fighting in my life, but it isnt entirely gone. If someone threw rocks or something aggressive like that...........they wouldnt like the end result.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I understand how you feel, people at where I work used to make fun of me, but I think me going on my scooter there alot kinda grew on them. People will always say nasty things, you just started scooting recently, you'll soon see there is more good things, than bad about what people think and say about your bike.
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

I took my share of s**t from morons when I rode my 49cc Honda Ruckus. It does get tiresome.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

I just smile and wave. Play nice... :lol:
Last edited by chokepuppy on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tenchi

Ignore those morons.....

Post by Tenchi »

Haven't had that experience yet (being called infantile names) but I can assure you that a swung full-faced helmet would leave a mark....not that I would do such a thing. :D But then, I am 53 (today) and take the mature, high road....and why mess up a good helmet?
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Every once in a while, I wish I had a rocket launcher :D
ay pablo

Post by ay pablo »

Those of you who are able to shake it off and let it go as you do are honorable and I really am trying to be able to do the same thing. I've had a few run-ins lately with both young guys and an old man and I tell ya, my temper just explodes with shit like that and I allow myself to react and things escalate. I really am trying to be cooler and to not play along.
If driving a Hummer says "my penis is small",
.......then what does riding a scooter say?

I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.....
ishi

Re: First heckling - 5 days in

Post by ishi »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:... But it is still a little unnerving. With people willing to shout taunts like that, it would take very little for it to escalate to assault.
That may be true, and that's why I never "feed the flames" when somebody gets aggressive. I'm 120 pounds, I don't know martial arts and I have a bad right foot so I can't run. Absolute non-aggression works on 99% of the asswipes you encounter. It can hurt the pride a little, but that's all.

As for actual fear of serious bodily harm or death, that is a different story. In my state, if you are being threatened in a way that constitutes a real risk to life or limb you are authorized to use whatever force is necessary to protect yourself. (somewhat similar to alaska I gather)

Sorry if I'm going off topic here.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I LOVE THE HECKLERS! Occasionally I'll run up on one at a light but most have been people I know from work or at least from seeing often in passing. They don't bother me any more. Its usually a girly comment that they think will bother me but I always go into a very loud high girly voice and wave real big and ask when they are going to ride with me on their big manly chrome bikes. I try to really go overboard. Now they say absolutely NOTHING derogatory about my scooters. They go the other way when I come through the gate. Most of them think I'm nuts and they might be right! Roll with it! Embrace it! Make them uncomfortable! Ohh, it is so much fun.
johnre

Post by johnre »

That's the nice thing about living in Arizona. Just get off the scoot, unbutton your shirt and let them see your pearl handled 45 in it's holster. Retuck your shirt in and drive away.
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

johnre wrote:That's the nice thing about living in Arizona. Just get off the scoot, unbutton your shirt and let them see your pearl handled 45 in it's holster. Retuck your shirt in and drive away.
Yes, an armed society is a more polite society.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:As I approached Tony to disarm and load the groceries, I heard "Hey Lady!" from one of them, followed by Beavis-like snickering.
Oh my. How awful that someone said "Hey Lady".

I had a couple guys on Harleys the other day roll up next to me and one of the guys made a smart ass comment about my "moped". I turned to him and told him No worries. It is paid for and it gets me laid.

They chuckled and it was all good.

You want to get some good comments try riding around like this:

It is even better when I rode like that on my pink Buddy.

Dave
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

Racenut wrote:Every once in a while, I wish I had a rocket launcher :D
i wish that so often... (but i wouldn't ever really get one, unless it was *the* zombie apocalypse)
ishi

Post by ishi »

johnre wrote:That's the nice thing about living in Arizona. Just get off the scoot, unbutton your shirt and let them see your pearl handled 45 in it's holster. Retuck your shirt in and drive away.
This is a joke, yes...? People who are licensed to carry should know that flashing a weapon to intimidate is a felony. When you scoot off, Mr. Heckler can call the five-o and then your new Buddy will be Bubba McArsePounder instead of your foxy Pamplona.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

As a driver of my Mother's SUV, I take offense to the original poster's comments. :wink:
Seriously though, some of your responses are a bit disturbing. You honestly want to violently confront someone (or threaten them with violence) because they hurt your feelings?!
There are better things to be upset about - such as when some dummy on a cell phone almost plows into you because they are not paying attention. Now THAT is a good reason to open up a can of whupass.
I mean, we ride scooters. You have to expect alot of attention - both good and bad.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Johnny wrote:As a driver of my Mother's SUV, I take offense to the original poster's comments. :wink:
:rofl:
brandon75173

Post by brandon75173 »

Simple words shouldnt ever bring about a fight...........unless they insult your woman or horse, LOL. Seriously though, its easy to see to not do do shit, but when some moron is in arms reach trashing you, its hard to not do anything. Most people in general are cowards though. They throw a few insults and then drive off. So I just pity them and the fact they go home to a wife that probably beats them in the ground.
cruzzer

Post by cruzzer »

this is wat helps me with heckers in life
(Ecclesiastes 7:21-22) 21 Also, do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak, that you may not hear your servant calling down evil upon you. 22 For your own heart well knows even many times that you, even you, have called down evil upon others.
keep this in mind , and no matter what someone says you got a cool scoot :P
no matter where you go there you are. Image Image
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Unfortunately, we live in a society that protects the antagonist. If you retaliate in any way, YOU are charged with an offense, not the instigator. You can't beat them up or brandish a weapon without going to jail. If you respond in any way, or do not immediately leave the scene without provoking a response, you will be deemed equally at fault if an altercation results.

In other words, if you do not back down like a coward, and if you stand up for yourself and a fight breaks out, you will be found at fault and likely go to jail. You will most likely be sued as well. It just isn't worth it. The bullies always win. The only time they don't is if regardless of your attempts to escape, they start a fight. Then they will be charged with assault. But you better have witnesses on your side and be willing to spend a long time dealing with it in the legal system. And you usually have to deal with their crazy family members trying to get back at you should their relative be put away for assaulting you.

This isn't your grandfathers USA or even your fathers USA. Way back when, you could take care of the problem on your own. It lead to a very respectful and polite society. For better or worse, those days are gone. All it has done is encourage more bullies, delinquents and criminals because there are almost no consequences for anti-social behavior, yet there are severe penalties for defending your honor and property.
Last edited by k1dude on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

ishi wrote: This is a joke, yes...? People who are licensed to carry should know that flashing a weapon to intimidate is a felony. When you scoot off, Mr. Heckler can call the five-o and then your new Buddy will be Bubba McArsePounder instead of your foxy Pamplona.
I know politics are a no-no here, but just as a non-political piece of information people who are licensed to carry already know that if they feel intimidated or that their life is in danger then they are within their carry permit parameters to let their weapon be known. Sometimes it is the people who are not licensed to carry who don't know what they "should know."

Now, I will agree that what you can prove in court and which way the ruling will be is a whole other issue, and I expect people who are licensed to carry are fully aware of this and make their decisions accordingly.

Maybe we could just shock them into silence by flashing our breasts. . . :rofl: I am giggling just thinking about the look on their faces. How about carrying bubbles and blowing a few their way? Or some other "crazy" behavior? I seriously have heard of women getting away from attempted abduction situations by doing crazy loony things! Or how about pretending as though you are signing back to them? That might give them pause. Of course, now that I am getting creative I might turn and say, "When my mother died last month she left me this scooter of hers". . .hmmm. . .maybe we could have a thread of interesting non-violent (and humorous to us) techniques that wouldn't agitate those aggressive freaks further. :)
~Celebrate~
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I tried flashing my breasts. It seemed to work but then I kinda got into it and kept going. My wife was really pissed when she bailed me out and refused to go to court with me. :mrgreen:
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

DennisD wrote:I tried flashing my breasts. It seemed to work but then I kinda got into it and kept going. My wife was really pissed when she bailed me out and refused to go to court with me. :mrgreen:

Poor wife! :mrgreen:
~Celebrate~
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

I like where this thread is headed.

I for one, am convinced that the world would be a better place if more females showed me their breasts.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

ishi wrote: Of course, now that I am getting creative I might turn and say, "When my mother died last month she left me this scooter of hers". . .hmmm. . .maybe we could have a thread of interesting non-violent (and humorous to us) techniques that wouldn't agitate those aggressive freaks further. :)
I asked a couple of guys at a light once that had seriously screwed up in traffic and almost ran me over if they had been born that stupid or if they had worked really really hard at it!
It was obvious they thought it was a test by the slack jawed blank look. Finally the words filtered through the haze to their brains and they very simply stated, "F*** you, man!" The light changed and they attempted to race away to their next adventure but stalled the junker out. The car behind them laid on the horn. I just shook my head and smiled. Ohh, it was good.
Last edited by DennisD on Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

ScooterDave wrote:I like where this thread is headed.

I for one, am convinced that the world would be a better place if more females showed me their breasts.
~Celebrate~
chromebroom

remarks made

Post by chromebroom »

Sending you a cyber Hug !!!!!!!!
Dear SITR, some one smart wrote "People too weak to follow their own dreams will always find a way to discourage yours". I on the other hand wrote " This to shall pass like a bad mexican dinner". With that said, jerks are a dime a dozen and they run in packs. Between the three of them their IQ was the size of our gas tank. You will find jerks like that all over the place. Leave the trash in the bin and walk away. Don't rent space in your head to their remarks. Again, hugs and enjoy the journey, be safe.
Christy

Post by Christy »

so some kids said, "Hey, lady?" and giggled. and you are a boy, right?

sorry if I'm missing the point of your story, i just don't see why you took some impolite kids comments so seriously.

I also want to note here that I am a painfully shy person and it's very difficult for me to talk to all the people who approach me regarding the scoot...and it happens every time.

But I also just wanted to point out that your emotions and feelings are YOURS. and you shouldn't give strangers the right to hurt your feelings. they (people you don't know) aren't people who have influence in your personal life, so don't let them influence your personal feelings.

$0.02
EPSP #76
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

k1dude wrote: In other words, if you do not back down like a coward, and if you stand up for yourself and a fight breaks out, you will be found at fault and likely go to jail. You will most likely be sued as well. It just isn't worth it.

This isn't your grandfathers USA or even your fathers USA. Way back when, you could take care of the problem on your own.
Gosh, all this out pouring in response to a silly remark by 3 snot-nosed kids at a Mini-mart? Some of you sound like you are walking around kind of tightly wound up. I thought riding a scoot was supposed to be low key and fun. I seem to get by week to week without the need for any fist fights in the parking lot. Maybe it's just where I hang out.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Dooglas wrote:
k1dude wrote: In other words, if you do not back down like a coward, and if you stand up for yourself and a fight breaks out, you will be found at fault and likely go to jail. You will most likely be sued as well. It just isn't worth it.

This isn't your grandfathers USA or even your fathers USA. Way back when, you could take care of the problem on your own.
Gosh, all this out pouring in response to a silly remark by 3 snot-nosed kids at a Mini-mart? Some of you sound like you are walking around kind of tightly wound up. I thought riding a scoot was supposed to be low key and fun. I seem to get by week to week without the need for any fist fights in the parking lot. Maybe it's just where I hang out.
Please re-read this entire thread. There are people claiming if they were in a similar situation, they would resort to violence or brandish weapons. Those are not my words. I am responding to them saying it isn't a good idea. I might wish otherwise, but I am advising anyone against rash actions.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Yeah, I'm not really into retaliation. (Although, I do have a great comic book concept for a sort of no-nonsense Dudley Doright kind of gorilla vigilante scooterist in plate-mail armor who is has the law on his side.)

I've not really been intimidated by too many people. Not that I'm a tough guy...I mean they just don't bother me. Much more so on my bike than my scoot oddly enough.

Personally, I'm against doing anything verbally or physically preemptive. You'd never no for certain if it was really needed an/or wise. Personally, I think if I felt threatened I'd just dial *8 or 911 and say "yes, I'm being threatened by a motorist" or whatever. In a large city, that may not get you anything (I don't know...if they see you are on the phone maybe it would be a deterrent) but in a small city like mine you'd probably get a fairly quick response.

I think we are all becoming cooler in general though. Teenagers used to always have a smart comment for me but I passed some coming out of the woods by one of the local swimming holes at about 50mph the other day and they just gave me this "Woah, that dude is cruzin'" kind of look.
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

I still think runtotorun121 had the best idea. I am going to start saying mean things to every female scooterist I see.

Dave
ScootingInTheRain

Wow! This topic is getting way more response that I figured.

I just re-read my original post, and I want to make clear that I did brush it off (but I DO appreciate the cyber-hug!). The thing that bothered me was more about the human propensity to taunt and belittle to achieve and protect status (as "cool" or "tough" or whateva). There was another thread about taunting and name-calling that, while believable, makes me question how humans manage to exist without mile-wide barriers between them. It makes me worry about my childrens' world a little.

The same thoughts run through my head when I think about Rwanda, Darfur, Barbara Bush's response to the Astrodome fiasco, gangs, etc. I get tempted to thicken up and ignore all the evil in the world, and just focus on myself. But then I may become a bigger part of the problem. Yes I am neurotic.

I guess the majority of people know it is important to work together and get along peacefully, and then work hard to do so. But sometimes I just wanna scream my favorite line from George Constanza: "WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY!!!" (I also scream that when a cellphone-glued cager stops in the middle of the road deciding whether to turn or not as other drivers pile up behind them)

Anyway, I'll shaddup now. I'll scoot tomorrow and every day henceforth.

~SITR
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

looks like scooterdave wants to see some boobies :P

anyway, the other day while i was on an FM road (FM 1960, you houstonians know what im talking about), this guy/fag was vroom vrooming his mustang's engine as if i wanted to race him, this kinda ticks me off, can't you see im a girl and i dont want to race you fag. and then at the light, he rolls down his window, i ignored him and pretended i didnt see, THEN he shouts out "hey. you. scooter girl."

he starts asking me all the usual scooter questions, and i answered them in a sarcastic way, maybe if he wasnt' being a jerk back there, i would've been alot more nice to him.

i tell him i get 100 mpg and he was like :shock:

from reading all of these posts, it seems like the gents are getting more negative feedback then the ladies, well hang in there guys, they'll never know just how much fun it is to ride a scoot until their in our position, that's how i see it :lol:
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

ScooterDave wrote:I still think runtotorun121 had the best idea. I am going to start saying mean things to every female scooterist I see.

Dave
Okay, I have been searching and searching. There were quite a few that were cute-ish, but I didn't know how young our youngest members were so even though they seemed "cute" to me and not too vulgar I opted for more caution. . .but I did save the others in case we might need them in the future. :wink:

So here are some boobies for ScooterDave:

(o)(o) perfect
( + )( + ) fake silicone
o o A cups
{ O }{ O } D cups
(oYo) wonder bra
(^)(^) cold
(Q)(Q) pierced
(p)(p) w/hanging tassels
(: o)(o) bitten by a vampire
\o/\o/ Grandma's

and

~Celebrate~
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

hey rosa, let's ease up on the gay slurs, eh? you sound like the people that this thread is complaining about.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

gay slur regarding the guy in the mustang? he wasn't gay, i called him a fag because he was being a jerk :roll:
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

yeah but fag is fag. it's just not a cool word, however you mean it. just like any slur.
jaded

Post by jaded »

fag
Noun
Offensive slang, chiefly US & Canada short for faggot
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i apologize for my use of the word fag.

hopefully my apology is accepted for those who were offended by my use of offensive language.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Apology accepted, r0sa. :)

A little background on the slang, just so you'll understand why it's so offensive:
"Fag" is short for "faggot". (You probably knew that.) In the UK (at least), it's still used to refer to cigarettes. Before that, it was a term used for firewood. When witch burnings were common, discovered homosexuals weren't tied and burned, they were just tossed on the witches' pyres with the firewood to purge their souls. They weren't considered an adversary, just an abomination to God, and so the extra attention of binding them (and setting up their own pyre) was considered a waste.
By calling someone a "fag" or "faggot", you're (in essence) calling them firewood and implying they're a waste of life.

Just FYI.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Imagine how I feel when i pull up on my Raleigh 10 spd loaded with groceries. Well actually I feel pretty good most of the time because I still can ride, and that is most important to me.

No matter what two wheels I might be riding I usually enjoy it more than being caged.

Notice how much I lover her. . . She is parked right beside my bed.
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

Am I too late to the party to post my fun heckling story?

It took slightly over a year and a bit over 6000 miles before I had my first crazy-guy-heckling-me experience.

I was slowing down approaching a red light when this guy on a motorcycle pulled beside me and called out "if you're going to ride, why don't you get a real bike?". (He was on a large non-harley cruiser).

It wasn't a joking tone either, he was genuinely miffed in some way at my choice of transportation. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish drunk people from stupid people so I'm not sure what I was dealing with exactly. I just smiled and agreed with everything he said. It was clear that even something simple like "I like my scooter because blah blah blah" would be heard by him as "your motorcycle sucks because blah blah blah".

So I just amused myself listening to him till the light turned green. Something like "this is a big bike," and "you'll pick up more chicks on a bike like this". I just laughed "yeah, that's probably true". I was especially amused when he pointed out you could get hurt just as easily on a scooter. I hadn't in any way suggested otherwise. It was like he was imagining this argument in his head, and when I didn't say the things he expected, he just pretended I had and responded to those imaginations of what a stupid person might have said if they were arguing with him.

I wish crazy people would approach me more often. It was downright fun watching him.

I have another more irritating story from back around the 1100 mile mark:

That's when I had my first (and thus far only) premeditated-slushy-throwing incident. I was riding on a 40mph 3-lane road in pretty modest traffic. At the time I liked to ride on the tail of a pack of cars where I can see everybody, so I was going 40mph in the right lane and the last few cars in the pack were making their way in front of me.

Then I noticed an irregularity; the car in the middle lane and two cars in front of me was slowing down drastically and wobbled a tiny bit. So in keeping with what I always do when a car behaves unexpectedly I slowed down and maintained my position 3-4 car lengths behind him. He turned his flashers on and slowed to 25. At first I thought perhaps his oil light had came on and he was going to pull over.. something like that.

But while doing this he was holding a slushy just outside his window in his left hand while driving. I got the impression he might be intending to litter it but didn't put two and two together that he was planning to throw it at me. But by maintaining my position several car lengths behind him, that screwed up his plan so he turned off his flashers and resumed normal driving speed for the road.

At that point I didn't have any strong reason to believe his erratic driving had anything to do with me, although I did have slight suspicions that something was up.

At the next stoplight the middle lane had 4-5 cars in it while the right lane was empty. That was a bit odd all by itself that he hadn't taken the lane. I considered pulling in behind him instead of giving up control by getting in front but figured I didn't really have any good reason to be suspicious; there were still lots of possible explanations for his slightly erratic behavior.

So I continued past him in my lane up to the light, and observed him change lanes and pull in behind me. That definitely upped my suspicion and I decided to watch his distance behind me and was ready to pull off the road very quickly if he decided to tailgate me. But when the light turned green he kept a perfectly normal distance for a couple blocks and I decided perhaps nothing out of the ordinary was going on after all.

Then he pulled back into the middle lane and passed me, and took that opportunity to fling the slushy at me. He missed, but not by much. I found out that when they come from behind like that you really don't get much if any chance to see the slushy coming since he's barely in front at all when he makes the throw.

Interestingly there was a red light just a bit in front of us after he threw the slushy. He pulled into the left turn lane to make his exit and the lane next to him was open. So I changed lanes and pulled along side him and as I started to lean down to look in his opened window he screeched his tires and ran the red light to get away from me.

I wasn't going to confront him physically, or kick a dent in his car or punch a window out or anything, I was just going to confront him verbally, eg "What is your problem?" "Why would you do something like that?" "What's so funny about throwing a drink at someone?" In retrospect I should have pulled behind him not beside him, and concentrated exclusively on getting that license plate.

Times like that a deja-view device would be nice to have. I didn't get his license plate or anything. To me the wosrt part of that encounter was the fact that this guy was obviously experienced. Throwing from a moving object at another moving object and missing by only two inches.. he probably does this all the time.

But overall the DFW area is a great place for scootering I think.

- Mark
Christy

Post by Christy »

jeebus wrote:he pointed out you could get hurt just as easily on a scooter.
most people don't realize that......
EPSP #76
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

jeebus, in your situation, I would hope to remember to get his license plate and get a look at his face. I would then pull over and use my cell to call the cops. All the evidence you need to back up your story is on the road side with his finger prints all over the cup. I would think it would be some serious charges too. He endangered your life.

But like you, I'd probably think of those actions after-the-fact when it was too late. I'd be thinking "Damn! I should've gotten his plate number!"
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Geez. The conversation turns to boobies and ScooterDave shows back up. Welcome back SD!
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club