Watch your nuts, or it can ruin the mood

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alix B

Watch your nuts, or it can ruin the mood

Post by Alix B »

If you torque this to spec: (nut on clutch)

You can avoid the clutch coming loose and sounding like a robotic hamster is running amuck in the engine

Tightening the nut will also help you avoid the panic that your engine is blown and eliminate little metal shards from getting everywhere.

A situation like that leads to this:

Yesterday I broke down. I was cruising along about 55 and suddenly the scoot JUMPS in speed. For a split second I think WOW awesome. Until I hear the sound. Like suddenly I was riding a vacuum cleaner that just sucked up a pair of panty hose. And then the grinding. Horrible, horrible noise.

I will say that I am so glad I chose to approach Genuine Scooter Company as a sponsor. My roadside assistance expired last week and besides, I broke down in Medina, North Dakota. No dealership here in ND. And I was 150 miles from Fargo, on a Sunday.

I got a "tow" -which consisted of a piece of chipped plywood attached to a trailer. And two ratchets. Until I insisted that was impossible and someone brought us more. I was able to knock the scooter over with their two frayed ratchets.

Today I talked to Genuine and the next thing I know, the MidWest representative drove 120 miles to get me, take me into Fargo, and secured a local mechanic to look at the scooter.

I didn't know what to do-I just couldn't handle the excessive action of replacing another engine. Turns out just the clutch is ruined and Genuine is overnighting a new one.

What really meant the most to me was when Greg relayed to me his conversation with Philip McCaleb. Greg said, why don't I put her scooter on the truck and carry it over to Minnesota-they can work on it there.

And Philip says, oh no man. That would defeat her whole mission. She has to scoot the whole thing.

That is awesome. They totally looked out for me. Rock on!
Tighten your nuts with a vengenance or beware
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Like suddenly I was riding a vacuum cleaner that just sucked up a pair of panty hose.
I cannot relate. You lost me. Don't know what-the-heck you're talking about. What is this "vacuum cleaner" thing of which you speak?

Glad you're good Alix! Keep scootin'! :D

As an aside, if you need to adjust your nuts it is not a good idea to do it while sitting in traffic at a red light. Took me about a week to realize this after I bought my Buddy (hey, I didn't make an "adjustment" every time I got on the bike)! :oops:
Last edited by pugbuddy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
louie

Post by louie »

"Watch your nuts, or it can ruin the mood"

excellent advice in so many circumstances.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

pugbuddy wrote:
Like suddenly I was riding a vacuum cleaner that just sucked up a pair of panty hose.
I cannot relate. You lost me. Don't know what-the-heck you're talking about. What is this "vacuum cleaner" thing of which you speak?

Glad you're good Alix! Keep scootin'! :D
I believe it is the sound before something goes horribly wrong. Probably the sound of everything slipping when I'm going at such a high speed.

Don't you wear panty hose? Geez.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Genuine is awesome!!! Im glad they hooked you up! :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Alix, sorry your mood got ruined... again. How many miles have you travelled at this point?
Jake

Post by Jake »

Wow, that's awesome. The service part, anyway.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Oh, no grand adventure is truly complete without adversity.... :)

There are 20,500 miles on the odometer and only 2,000 left to D.C.

I was thinking afterwards I would come down to RVA to see my friends and my moms before scooting home to Maine. On the way I want to visit my other home in Cville, for the ladies arm wrestling tournament on the 12th.

Sounds like a potential celebration in RVA, where we fizzle drizzle champagne on Audre.....

Yes?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Alix,

Same thing happened to me once. The nut thing. NOT the pantyhose thing.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Alix B wrote:Oh, no grand adventure is truly complete without adversity.... :)
Well and enough said.
Alix B wrote:Sounds like a potential celebration in RVA, where we fizzle drizzle champagne on Audre.....

Yes?
Yes!
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

Sorry about the...er, nut problem. But at least Genuine came through. Keep on Peace Scootin'!
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Don't you wear panty hose? Geez.
I hear it helps keep you from chafing in the saddle but I have yet to try it! :P
Sounds like a potential celebration in RVA, where we fizzle drizzle champagne on Audre.....

Yes?
I totally agree! Celebration is in order!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Sorry to hear of your trouble but glad it was taken care of. Do you carry a list of dealers along your route? I should be picking up my new Buddy from Pride of Cleveland next week and riding it home to Nor California.
Smiziley

Post by Smiziley »

Wait I'm confused...you draw a peace symbol driving around the country?
MPA

Post by MPA »

Smiziley wrote:Wait I'm confused...you draw a peace symbol driving around the country?
http://www.peacescooter.com is Alix' site for her journey
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

WTF?! Seriously Alix I love what you're doing and I GREATLY appreciate it but what the @#$% for real... Genuine sends out reps and overnights parts to you but I have to wait for calls (which the tech really seemed to be dodging), approvals, send f@#king pics in, fill out paperwork, wait on more approvals, and Genuine is still trying to f@#k me over by taking the cheap way out and not replacing my engine?!

Maybe this is the wrong place for this and my apologies but hearing about this was definitely one big @ss straw on the camels back. I was trying to make excuses for Genuine and be understanding but that shyt is ridiculous. They no longer have shyt to say to me but "Hey here's your new engine sorry about making you jump through so many hoops." I've been waiting WEEKS and this is getting hella expensive. I've promoted the hell out of this company and now I'm just feeling shyted on!

PISSED!

Sorry again Alix. I am truly glad they came through for you and you can continue such a great mission. Good luck, make great memories, and be safe.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Corsair, what I was sent was a replacement front clutch. I said it sounded like my engine blew but it was just the clutch.
Sorry about your woes.

Our situations are completely different. I don't have paperwork to fill out because the company agreed to let me test their scooter, essentially.

I had a few times myself last week when I called and no one answered, not because they're dodging me, but because 8 people are running the company.

They agreed last year to support this ride- long before the scooter craze ever hit.
When I break down in NOWHERE, North Dakota, I can't be there for two weeks.
That would amount to a motel for $50 multiplied by 14 days.

I'm a long way from home and don't need to fill paperwork, so if they have something they send it to me.

On the day of my breakdown, I sent out an email to everyone at Genuine and said "help!"

Why wouldn't the rep come out to get me? He was 120 miles away, and the closest dealer was 1,000 miles to the West or 400 miles to the East.

I paid $220 for a 30 mile tow just to get me off the road in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday.

Right now, I don't have a home, a local dealer or any one definite person to help take care of me.
The situations are completely different.

You have to look at what I'm doing as though I'm riding for the company, more like an employee than a customer.

Again, I'm sorry about your woes.
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

olhogrider wrote:Sorry to hear of your trouble but glad it was taken care of. Do you carry a list of dealers along your route? I should be picking up my new Buddy from Pride of Cleveland next week and riding it home to Nor California.
Just go to genuinescooters.com and click on "dealers"

PM me if you have more questions.

Have you ever ridden that far?
To you have a planned route to N.California? I might be able to suggest things to avoid.

How long do you have?
How are you carrying your gear?
DO you have protective gear?
WOW!
THat's awesome!

Are you breaking in the scooter on the road? That sucks, in my personal opinion. But, you can do it, you just have to mind the speed demon on your right shoulder.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Alix B wrote: Just go to genuinescooters.com and click on "dealers"

PM me if you have more questions.

Have you ever ridden that far?
To you have a planned route to N.California? I might be able to suggest things to avoid.

How long do you have?
How are you carrying your gear?
DO you have protective gear?
WOW!
THat's awesome!

Are you breaking in the scooter on the road? That sucks, in my personal opinion. But, you can do it, you just have to mind the speed demon on your right shoulder.
I have not ridden that far on a scooter, only on a Harley. I have ridden my GTS from San Francisco to Vegas and back, but that is nowhere near this trip.

I figured a rack on the back would help with carrying. I have never had a rack on the front. Do you recommend one?

Yes I have protective gear.

How long... depends.

There is some debate about break-in and first service. Originally I thought I would put a few miles on and let POC do the first one, then hit the road. Now I think I should head toward Chicago and have it done there.

Thanks, Dan
Buddy_wannabe

Re: Watch your nuts, or it can ruin the mood

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Alix B wrote:
...... Like suddenly I was riding a vacuum cleaner that just sucked up a pair of panty hose. And then the grinding. Horrible, horrible noise.
..... Get your nuts sucked up in a vacuum. Now thers a horrible noise. :oops: ...... ummmm .... or uhhh so I hear. :o
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash