I've had my Buddy 2 hours and SERIOUSLY!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MalindaKay

I've had my Buddy 2 hours and SERIOUSLY!

Post by MalindaKay »

I went driving around the neighborhood and what do I do at the end of my street? I CRASH. My buddy is literally 2 hours old and it's scratched up already. Not to mention that I scraped the crap out of my right hand and it triggered some sort of chain reaction and my whole arm hurts. Oh I'm so mad. I mean, SO ANGRY.

Someone please tell me again, besides gas prices, why do I want to do this?
Scootalicious.
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

epic fail
MalindaKay

Post by MalindaKay »

bjj4287 wrote:epic fail
Sorry?
Scootalicious.
apetit

Post by apetit »

I'm sorry to hear about your fall and subsequent anger. Why do this? Because when it goes well, it goes REALLY well. Outside of sailing I think there are very few things more satisfying.

But, unfortunately, the extreme satisfaction can have extreme dissatisfaction at the opposite pole...

Practice, be patient, be intent on enjoying the experience.
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

The Good thing is your o.k., if your arm still hurts get it checked out and although I have never crashed I have had close calls and they can be scary but we learn from our mistakes and my guess is you will be a better rider going forward, now dust off that scoot, figure out which panels are damaged which are fairly cheap and easy to replace and I believe you will find a thread on here with prices and links on where you can buy them and how to remove them.
MalindaKay

Post by MalindaKay »

apetit wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your fall and subsequent anger. Why do this? Because when it goes well, it goes REALLY well. Outside of sailing I think there are very few things more satisfying.

But, unfortunately, the extreme satisfaction can have extreme dissatisfaction at the opposite pole...

Practice, be patient, be intent on enjoying the experience.
Thanks, apetit. That actually makes me feel a lot better. Ok. Deep breath. tomorrow is a new day.
Scootalicious.
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

My hubby dropped his the first time we rode because he wasn't paying attention during the "don't warm up your scoot on the sidestand" part of the lecture. The big advantage to the black Buddy is that it's Sharpie-colored, as we found out with his. I have to be extra-careful because they don't make Tangerine Sharpies :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Malinda, I'm sorry to hear about your crash. Get your hand and arm looked after. A couple Ibuprofen are probably in order to keep swelling down for now. The Buddy can always be repaired/replaced, so take care of yourself first. When you're up to riding again, I would strongly suggest a riding course where a live instructor can work with you. I'm trying to picture your crash and my best guess is that you tried to steer and use the front brake at the same time, but that's just a guess, I could be way off. The quickest way to get up to speed is to learn from an MSF instructor. If there's no way to get that done, maybe you could start a thread on here and ask if there's an experienced rider from Modern Buddy near you who could work with you to get you going.

Last, but not least, I would appreciate it if you would go back to the Who's Crashed? thread and copy the list of questions from the first post and answer those. We're accumulating a lot of data in that thread, and every bit helps. Thanks! P.S. here is the list of questions I'm looking for.
ericalm wrote:1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
4. Was the rider injured?
5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
10. How fast was the rider going?
11. How far was the rider from home?
Last edited by jrsjr on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
beagldog

Post by beagldog »

Riding the Buddy "linus" is very relaxing to me. I had a crappy day at work and hopped on Linus and by the time I got home I was happy again. Just being alert and not thinking about the crap day at work eased all the tension. Why do we do it? Because we can!
maribell

Post by maribell »

It take a few scratch marks to make your scoot legit anyways. :wink:

So..
1. Let your arm heal.
2. Take the MSF. If they have scoots available, I would use one of theirs. Many bikes get dropped in MSF, and you don't want it to be yours. (And this statement is not meant to stress you out further).
3. Take getting back on your scoot at your own speed. Don't feel like you have to hop back on right away. You need to feel comfortable on your Bud, or else it's going to stand in the way of you enjoying riding.
docutech

Post by docutech »

4. Wear safety gear
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Always wear leather gloves with extra protection in the palms. If you go down at slower speeds you are almost always going to put your hands out in front of you to break the fall.

Don't get too upset but just remember this isn't a toy and always wear all of your gear. Even on heavier motorcycles I practice leaning the bike over while stopped to get a good feel for how best to leverage my body to keep it from falling. Even a 200 pound Buddy will feel like a thousand pounds when it's tipping over.

Hang in there and get that arm checked out.
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

Scootalicious, sorry you had such a bad experience. I took the MSF Basic Rider Course before I bought my Buddy 125, and I am VERY glad I did. They had Vespa 150s for the scooterists in the class. The first riding day I was very nervous and wobbly, but the second day I was so excited I couldn't wait to ride! The instructors teach you things you won't learn on your own, some of which can save your life. I completed the course last Friday and got my Buddy today. If it wasn't 100 degrees and humid I'd be out riding right now. I highly recommend a basic riding course. You'll soon be smiling too!

-Purromaniac
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

+100 for an MSF course. I paid for mine (took the motorcycle course) and my wife is going to take the $225 scooter one in a couple weekends. The money we paid is equal to the cost crashing my own scooter alone, not to mention potential medical bills. I can't imagine getting on any powered two-wheeler in traffic without having taken it.

I've raved about my local paid MSF course a bunch of times already, so I'll leave it at that, but don't give up the ship!
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Your an idiot :wink:
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Who can't spell the name of his scooter apparently. 8)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

greencountry wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:
Who can't spell the name of his scooter apparently. 8)
OK, as a fail fanboy, I have to confess this gave me a chuckle. As a scooterist in what I view as a support group for an addictive lifestyle, I'm a little disappointed.

All that aside, it's just a random fail, not even close to epic. There were no cyclops involved, no armies of unrelenting assault, no Darwin award type ramifications, nothing that inspired self mutilation at having copulated with ones own matri/patriarchs. There weren't even rocket boosters attached with bungee cords. A scuff on ones first attempt at something with many nuances such as two wheeled riding is far short of an "epic fail" tag. I *do* enjoy the humor behind that none the less, and being the type to assume that humanity isn't a completely lost cause, I'll assume that this was a misunderstood attempt at a friendly ribbing.

All that aside, I'd just say, find a parking lot and go VERY slowly. Learn how it handles at low speeds and medium speeds. Wear the gear. Shed it later if that's what you want to do, but at least start off in the right gear; it starts good habits. Try various maneuvers in the parking lot. Wait till it's not rush hour to have your first on road ride. I learned through trial by fire. I don't recommend this to others, it was a personal choice for me. When I first got my scooter, I spent an hour or two in the lot behind my dealer learning and observing how the scoot reacted to various maneuvers that I thought I'd use on the 10 mile trip home. I started off with both brakes, and I still do that to this day. Scooters inspire over-confident riding, which is both great and bad. I've read and heard horror stories about when someone rides out of their comfort zone.

You have to know your personal limits as far as how you handle/balance before you should attempt to ride the scooter in any unknown environments. Take the MSF course, it's highly recommended. Go to the "New Owners" sticky and scroll down to the MSF scooter PDF. Read it, understand it, go to your local cheap-O store and buy some soccer cones. Lay them out in a parking lot and practice the exercises in the back of that booklet. Master them. Even if you don't take the course. Know yourself and your vehicle, ride alert, and wear the minimum gear (Helmet and Gloves at the *Very* least). Once the handling is understood, then you'll understand why we all rant and rave about the Buddies. The ride is a terrific experience, but only after you understand how to ride.

Basic rule of thumb, if you're not comfortable doing it, don't. Life's easy, don't fret about the small stuff. Control what you can, flow with the rest.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I *do* enjoy the humor behind that none the less
I don't "fail" may not have been played out on MB but everywhere else it has
greencountry wrote: Who can't spell the name of his scooter apparently. 8)
haha pomplona :clap:
Drumwoulf

Re: I've had my Buddy 2 hours and SERIOUSLY!

Post by Drumwoulf »

MalindaKay wrote:I went driving around the neighborhood and what do I do at the end of my street? I CRASH. My buddy is literally 2 hours old and it's scratched up already. Not to mention that I scraped the crap out of my right hand and it triggered some sort of chain reaction and my whole arm hurts. Oh I'm so mad. I mean, SO ANGRY.

I'm curious... What did you know about riding, what previous experience did you have on two wheels,
before you went "driving around the neighborhood"?

If you haven't done so yet, get hold of David Hough's "Profficient Motorcycling" and read it from cover to cover
before you take the scoot out again! It could save you from lots more serious consequences...
And then take a MSF beginning riders course as soon as you can.

Scooters are great for saving $$ on gas, true. But they are small motorcycles, not bicycles, and can be extremely
DANGEROUS if you don't know much about how to operate them..!

I'm very glad you didn't get more seriously hurt than you did, and am sorry your new scoot got scratched up! :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
MalindaKay

Post by MalindaKay »

ScooterTrash wrote:
It's "you're" an idiot. :wink:
Scootalicious.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

MalindaKay wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:
It's "you're" an idiot. :wink:
I saw that slam-dunk, too, but I didn't want to start another grammar thread, and ScooterTrash was sticking up for you, so I didn't want to slam him for being marginally chivalrous, in his own weird way, ha.

To be honest, I'm a fan of the "FAIL" meme, and it's replaced "Apple-X" (god I'm a loser) as the first thing to pop into my head when I do something stupid (dropping an egg on the floor, bonking my head into something, then getting so angry I kick something else and hurt my foot worse than my head, etc). But self-deprecation and using it to put down other people are two different things.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
MalindaKay

Post by MalindaKay »

Ok someone is just going to have to explain "Fail" to me. This must be some sort of lingo that we don't use in my neck of the woods.

In the meantime, I'm off to take my motorcycle test. Wish me luck!

Do people really start mean grammar threads? That's so weird. No harm meant here, just my copy-editing self showing (and since I'm not familiar with this slang, I didn't know what else to say?).
Scootalicious.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Greencountry,
Where in Chicago is the scooter course? Do you have contact information?
Thanks!
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Kathy wrote:Greencountry,
Where in Chicago is the scooter course? Do you have contact information?
Thanks!
I'm not Greencountry but I'll offer to help out.

http://www.msf-usa.org/scooterschool.cfm
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/

In Chicago, they have their classes across from the United center.

I took scooter school from these folks. Good for the 4 hours, but not to be compared to full MSF. they also offer that. I reserved a class through the state back in march, (cheaper to pay for a hotel for 2 nights in Aurora, than the $400 that they charge). But I imagine the private school has more offerings than the state right now.
sikken

Post by sikken »

ScooterTrash wrote:
I *do* enjoy the humor behind that none the less
I don't "fail" may not have been played out on MB but everywhere else it has
greencountry wrote: Who can't spell the name of his scooter apparently. 8)
haha pomplona :clap:
LMAO...Pomplona...
bunny

Post by bunny »

This has got to be one of the funnier threads I've read in a while..and not because of your accidental fall, MalindaKay.

That was a bad deal, especially the first time you rode the scooter. I remember being terrified I would do the same on my way home from the dealer (13 miles on a busier thoroughfare).

Just get up, get your hand checked out, dust yourself off and get back on that scooter! We ride because it's economical, environmentally friendly, fun, relaxing and thrilling...there is no one reason why you ride, it's that combination that makes it so good.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

MalindaKay, I think a LOLcat can best describe the premise of EPIC FAIL:

Perhaps bjj4287 was trying to point out the humor in wiping out after only two hours of riding. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, using another meme image:

Okeh! In answer to your question, you want your scooter because it's awesome, and you will love it once your arm heals and your anger recedes. Trust me, I've had several moments of frustration where I began to doubt myself for buying such a luxurious "toy." But then I get on Pinky Tuscadero for the routine ride to work, and I remember why I got my scooter. :D
ModBud #442
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Ed Hit wrote:http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/

In Chicago, they have their classes across from the United center.

I took scooter school from these folks. Good for the 4 hours, but not to be compared to full MSF. they also offer that. I reserved a class through the state back in march, (cheaper to pay for a hotel for 2 nights in Aurora, than the $400 that they charge). But I imagine the private school has more offerings than the state right now.
Yup, that's the one. The instructors I had were really good, they took the MSF material very seriously, and were very patient with people whether they learned fast or slow.

I looked at the state course (http://www.mrp.uiuc.edu/), they are booked through October (!!), and as I understand it it is a lot longer than the course I took. I took a basic rider course (for motorcycles) that was 2 days, 7 hrs/day. The state-sponsored course I think is a lot longer, like 5-7 full days, and is *only* motorcycle courses (no scooter courses). Even the MSF's scooterschool page linked above shows only the school I went to for scooter courses in Chicago. My wife is going to take the 4-hr scooter course next weekend.

Highly highly recommended (no I am not affiliated with them). I loved them so much I raved about them on Yelp. http://www.yelp.com/biz/motorcycle-ridi ... ol-chicago

And btw, for anyone reading these posts about MSF-ing and thinking "I've been riding since I could walk" or "I can figure it out, that stuff is for people who can barely ride a bicycle" -- FYI the basic course I took had a couple guys who had been riding motorcycles for years, but it was a long time ago and now getting back into it they wanted to learn properly. And the school also offers an experienced rider course.
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

lol pomplona
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

MalindaKay wrote:I went driving around the neighborhood and what do I do at the end of my street? I CRASH. My buddy is literally 2 hours old and it's scratched up already.
I'm glad to hear that you are okay but I think it is time to reassess how you are going about this. A scooter is not a toy. It is a motor vehicle that requires some level of skill to ride safely and successfully. You need to take the MSF course and you need to spend some time practicing in a safe place. Wait until your skills and self confidence develop before you venture out into riding situations where you can get yourself in trouble. Scooting is a lot of fun and pretty therapeutic to boot. As you found out, falling isn't.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Glad to hear you are alright, ignore some of the negative comments being posted. All you need to do is take it easy and ride only what you feel you can do, dont go over your comfort zone. Practice in your neighborhood some more, remember to use both brakes evenly, dont just grab them, you'll lock them up.

Try to accelerate slowly and smoothly, then stop smoothly too. Dont forget to slow down when you turn, brake some, and then lean into the turn.

Hope you have fun on the buddy and ride safe 8)

jfrost2
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

bjj4287 wrote:lol pomplona
I see your point. Well spoken, bjj4287. Thanks for adding more to this discussion. I'm sure the OP is reassured.
audrey

Post by audrey »

MelindaKay, don't let the crash get you down. I did the same thing with Vera. First day I had her and I laid her down trying to take a corner too quickly. Luckily I had all my gear on. I came away with a few bruises, but nothing worse since I had on a jacket, gloves, helmet, etc. It certainly cemented the concept of "All the gear, All the time" into my mind. Unfortunately Vera ended up with some scratches on her topcase and headlight trim. But I think of them as battle scars. It gives her character :).

The wreck did make me more cautious on turns after that. Plus I went through the phase of cursing myself for not slowing down enough. But a few weeks later I can tell there is a difference in my control of the scooter. All of it certainly didn't sway my love of riding. I just feel it woke me up to be more cautious.

Hope your arms heals quickly and you hop back on your scoot soon.

-Audrey
armacham

Post by armacham »

polianarchy wrote:
oh my god I've time-traveled back to 2001. I have to warn everyone about the world trade center!
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

MalindaKay wrote:Ok someone is just going to have to explain "Fail" to me. This must be some sort of lingo that we don't use in my neck of the woods.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

This could be called a failure.

emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

bulldog1967 wrote:
MalindaKay wrote:Ok someone is just going to have to explain "Fail" to me. This must be some sort of lingo that we don't use in my neck of the woods.
+1
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
bjj4287

Post by bjj4287 »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
bjj4287 wrote:lol pomplona
I see your point. Well spoken, bjj4287. Thanks for adding more to this discussion. I'm sure the OP is reassured.
surething
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

http://failblog.org/

Is the official repository for this stuff.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

illnoise wrote:http://failblog.org/

Is the official repository for this stuff.

Bb.
this had me totally laughing really loud at my cubicle...

you guys are gonna get me fired!
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

jfrost2 wrote: Dont forget to slow down when you turn, brake some, and then lean into the turn.
jfrost2
And then also don't forget to RELEASE the brakes after you slow down enough and BEFORE you lean into a turn! Except for the race track experts, it's imperative not to be ~braking~ while in a turn! And then after you get 1/2 way thru the turn, you even want to throttle smoothly out of it...

Like I said, read David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" ASAP, before you get too much conflicting advice............ :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

How is it conflicting advice? I never said "brake during the turn"

I also remember braking during a turn is sometimes alright if done properly and within your comfort zone. Remember drumwolf, if you read the book, you dont want to brake during swerving, two different things :wink:
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Try not to let it rattle you too much. Scratches suck, but at least you're ok. Find a big empty parking lot and just get really comfortable with it in a controlled environment.
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
benawabe896

Post by benawabe896 »

This thread = hilarious.

So I was brushing my teeth the other day and the toothpaste wasn't coming out of the tube. So I put it on the floor and jumped on it. Now there's toothpaste all over the place. I'm so angry. Can someone tell me again, apart from clean teeth, why am I doing this again? ;)
ItalianBoy

Post by ItalianBoy »

MalindaKay wrote:I went driving around the neighborhood and what do I do at the end of my street? I CRASH. My buddy is literally 2 hours old and it's scratched up already. Not to mention that I scraped the crap out of my right hand and it triggered some sort of chain reaction and my whole arm hurts. Oh I'm so mad. I mean, SO ANGRY.

I crashed mine after only 14 hours of owning it. I still ride because I love it.