NSR: The Dark Knight

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

maribell

NSR: The Dark Knight

Post by maribell »

Just returned home from a midnight screening of The Dark Knight.

Great movie! Especially if you love special effects!
If y'all want something fun to do this weekend, this is it [you know...aside from group rides and various forms of debauchery].
Last edited by maribell on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shahdhch

Post by shahdhch »

I want to see this movie. I'll try to drag the fiance out this or next weekend to see it.
I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted and missed it.
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

I'm usually not a super hero movie fan.

I went last night with no expectations.

it was fantastic!
Last edited by kmetta on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Being a superhero myself, I always like to check out the competition.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I've always been a big Christian Bale fan ever since he played the little kid in Empire of the Sun. He was great in American Psycho and The Machinist too.
hackett

Post by hackett »

I want to see it eventually, but I'm more interested in catching <a href=http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/ ... />Gonzo</a> while it's still here...
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Great avatar Hackett.
BadBrains

Re: NSR: The Dark Knight

Post by BadBrains »

maribell wrote:Just returned home from a midnight screening of The Dark Night.

Great movie! Especially if you love special effects!
If y'all want something fun to do this weekend, this is it [you know...aside from group rides and various forms of debauchery].
Where did you see it at? I went to the Village Drafthouse to witness the glorious biography that was the Dark Knight.
theasg

Post by theasg »

I'm sitting in the theater right now waiting for Dark Knight to start.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'll be seeing it this weekend, but for now, I got the DVD of the Gotham knight, it's an award winning animated "mini movie" made by 6 directors in their own art styles. It's just 6 little episodes that are all related, but look and sound different.

About an hour long, it was very good. Takes place between batman begins and the dark knight.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

I heard the special effects were NOT all that mind blowing and CGI-ish?!? The reviewer said it as a GOOD THING. ;)
Does sound great. Getting tons of good reviews.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I like how bruce wayne looks in the new movie according to the trailer, but in gotham knight, the artist gave him this HUGE Jay Leno like chin in the last segment.

KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

7eregrine wrote:I heard the special effects were NOT all that mind blowing and CGI-ish?!? The reviewer said it as a GOOD THING. ;)
Does sound great. Getting tons of good reviews.
That's because almost all of the crazy action (like the semi truck crashing and stuff) ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!! They recreated almost everything and filmed it instead of producing it with CG! I love that... I wish I could go see it, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Returns are two of the graphic novels I actually read all the way through, and I am NOT A READER!!!
maribell

Post by maribell »

They actually blew all that $#!^ up???!! :shock:

Brains, I went to Alamo Lake Creek. Did you get any of the "Dark Pints"?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah I saw alot of it being filmed in chicago... helicopter chase scenes, explosions... very impressive, I cant wait to see the movie.

p.s. The city apparently bent over backwards to help accomodate the filming... I saw parts of batman begins being filmed also, the scene where he is racing back to his bat cave through lower wacker drive, then the two lane highway part was actually filmed in waukegan/north chicago... that was awesome watching them film that!!!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Returns are two of the graphic novels I actually read all the way through, and I am NOT A READER!!!
Graphic Novels don't count as actual "reading". As entertaining as they can be (I'm a geek; I read a few comics), they are not actual books! :wink: :P
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

pugbuddy wrote:
The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Returns are two of the graphic novels I actually read all the way through, and I am NOT A READER!!!
Graphic Novels don't count as actual "reading". As entertaining as they can be (I'm a geek; I read a few comics), they are not actual books! :wink: :P
But they IS literature!
Seriously, I think of graphic novels (expensive comic books) as a different art form all their own. Because of comics, I learned to read before I ever hit grade school. If only I had been able to grow up since then...
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
ScooterMcGee

Post by ScooterMcGee »

The dark knight blew my damn mind..
And if the county we invented will fall from grace
I guess we'll have to fly away in our own space...Think Locally ..F*ck Globally
I was once asked If I were a tattoo what would I be?... I responded Id be a teardrop Tattoo under a bloodshot eye.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

ooooooh dark knight vs. scooter meet and nice mountain ride, I was posed with this very question tonight, sorry batman I gotta ride.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Holy scooter Batman! I do want to see this movie, but it just aiiinn''tt gonna happen this weekend. More than likely I'll wait until it's out on DVD... cause I'm always out fighting crime in spandex myself and going to the theater may keep me away from that!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

ScooterMcGee wrote:The dark knight blew my damn mind..
+1 in a big way
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Scooting to the theater for the Dark Knight today was the first time I rode double on Buddy. It's a bit different with someone on the seat behind you.

I enjoyed DK immensely ... but I wonder if I enjoyed Iron Man even more. I'm still sorting that one out.

I have three gripes with DK. First, I think the music came in too heavy at times. If the music is important, then at least give me the opportunity to read lips. On more than one occasion, a character begins speaking, the music ramps up and it cuts to action ... leaving the viewer to wonder what is being said. Second, Batman is one of the more uninteresting characters in the film. Alfred, Lucius, Harvey, Bruce and Gordon all held my interest much more. Third, I'm a bit bummed that Two Face got the Venom treatment.

I suppose that the woe-is-me superhero is a necessary evil for the genius that is the Joker. Holy sh!t and wow indeed. I really doubt we will ever see a more interesting and terrifying villain.
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

It was awesome. My bf actually wanted to go see it again the same day. Best movie I've seen in awhile.. would love to tell you why but I dont want to ruin it for those who havent seen it yet. :D :D :D
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Saw it last night.
It's going to be in my collection when it's released to dvd. That's one of the best Jokers I've seen. Practically archetype-of-chaos dark trickster! :clap:
olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

I just saw it today at the IMAX theater in Chicago. It was awesome!
Owl you need is love.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I just got back from seeing it for the second time this weekend. It holds up pretty well on the second viewing. The truth is, what's memorable about The Dark Knight is Heath Leger's performance as The Joker. One other thing that I'll remember is that there were seven, count 'em, seven trailers before the movie -

The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
The Spirit
Body of Lies
Watchman
Quantum of Solace
Terminator Salvation

That's more than 15 minutes of trailers. Whew!
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

I saw it twice and I noticed a Bajaj looking scooter both times. It made me exited.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

I saw it but didn't like the 4+ hours in the packed theater. Should have waited till I could watch it in the home theater
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

jrsjr wrote:I just got back from seeing it for the second time this weekend. It holds up pretty well on the second viewing. The truth is, what's memorable about The Dark Knight is Heath Leger's performance as The Joker. One other thing that I'll remember is that there were seven, count 'em, seven trailers before the movie -

The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
The Spirit
Body of Lies
Watchman
Quantum of Solace
Terminator Salvation

That's more than 15 minutes of trailers. Whew!

Did you say new terminator movie!?!?!?! :shock:

<-----(drooly face)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Twentyfourskys wrote:I saw it twice and I noticed a Bajaj looking scooter both times. It made me exited.
That was when Bruce Wayne parked his MV Augsta on the sidewalk. The Bajaj was parked about 20 feet in front of his MV, right?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pugbuddy wrote:Graphic Novels don't count as actual "reading". As entertaining as they can be (I'm a geek; I read a few comics), they are not actual books! :wink: :P
I hope those wink & tongue-out smilies at the end of your post indicate that you're just joking!

As for Dark Knight, I loved all the motorcycle chase scenes. But of course, had he been on a scooter, the movie would have been even better. :D
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

:shock:

I avoided this thread until I could see the movie. Finally got to the IMAX today. Wow.

Aside from all the action stuff, I'm just amazed and pleased that we have gotten to a point where a director like Nolan can be give carte blanche to make an over two and a half hour metaphor for terrorism and the difficult choices we're faced with post-9/11. Using Batman. And somehow remaining true to all the characters. Huh. There's my thesis! Maybe I'm reading too much into it. :)

Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart were both great.

Maybe we're all ready for a much more serious comic book movie. Hopefully that means good things for Watchmen.
pugbuddy wrote:
I hope that's sarcasm!

Frank Miller & David Mazzuchelli's "Batman: Year One" was a huge influence on Batman Begins. It also has a lot on the early relationships between Gordon, Dent & Batman. Not as sensationalistic as the Dark Knight comics (which have little to do with the movies).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Twentyfourskys

Post by Twentyfourskys »

jrsjr wrote:
Twentyfourskys wrote:I saw it twice and I noticed a Bajaj looking scooter both times. It made me exited.
That was when Bruce Wayne parked his MV Augsta on the sidewalk. The Bajaj was parked about 20 feet in front of his MV, right?
Yea that was it. I asked myself, why was he not riding that? I figure that bat mobile must burn gas like a semi.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

First, I think the music came in too heavy at times. If the music is important, then at least give me the opportunity to read lips. On more than one occasion, a character begins speaking, the music ramps up and it cuts to action ... leaving the viewer to wonder what is being said.
Very true. I liked the movie but it didn't live up to the hype for me (although Ledger's performance did). Music was too loud and it seemed to lose its focus on the main theme too often. Very good though.
I hope that's sarcasm!

Frank Miller & David Mazzuchelli's "Batman: Year One" was a huge influence on Batman Begins. It also has a lot on the early relationships between Gordon, Dent & Batman. Not as sensationalistic as the Dark Knight comics (which have little to do with the movies).
Yes, I've read that one, Who Watches the Watchmen and countless others. I just don't consider them great reading. They're not literature to me; too dependent on the art.

Incidentally, the Watchmen movie was one of the trailers I saw while waiting for the DK to begin. Looks very good (the only story by Alan Moore, aside from the first two League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novels, that I enjoy).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Yes, I've read that one, Who Watches the Watchmen and countless others. I just don't consider them great reading. They're not literature to me; too dependent on the art.
Comics are all about the combination of words and art—one can't be "too" dependent on the other (though one can overwhelm the other, which is not good). I suppose they qualify as "literature" because they are consumed by reading. Even with pictures, this is a much more active process than watching TV or movies. Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" (highly recommended for anyone who reads comics or works in art, design, movies or TV) provides a great dissection of comics, how words and pictures work together, and a much better appreciation of what it takes to write and produce one. I'll go out on limb #1 here and say writing for comics is harder than writing prose. I have a few friends who write comics for the major publishers and I think they'll back me up on this.

If your issue is with the content and not the medium, then maybe you should read something outside the hero/sci fi/fantasy genres. The old standby for "evidence of comics as literature" is Art Spiegelman's "Maus," of course, because it won a Pulitzer. But there are a lot more: indie and alternative comics (Hernandez Brothers, Adrian Tomine); classics (Will Eisner's "Contract with God" and "Heart of the Storm"); foreign (Yoshihiro Tatsumi's books are among the best short stories about postwar Japan); and even contemporary mainstream stuff (I'll go out on limb #2 and say "100 Bullets" is as good as anything written by Dashiell Hammett or Graham Greene).

If your problem is with the medium—that for whatever reason it doesn't work because you believe literature is solely about words—well, I can't help you there. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Alix B

Post by Alix B »

Nathaniel and Kate took me to see this movie. I was loosing my mind with excitement by Wednesday.

It was the best yet. Batman Begins would have been better if he had ACTUALLY delved deeper into the post 9/11 references he was making with the Scarecrow.

My only complaint was that Batman sounds dumb. I understand he wants to alter his voice as to not be identified. But honestly, how many of the people he saves even meet the Bruce Wayne.

I doubt anyone would recognize him by voice. Either way, they didn't have to make it soooo extreme. He sounds like the dude from Inspector Gadget, "I'll get you next time Gadget."
Who's that, the Claw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tS6Y-pX ... re=related
maribell

Post by maribell »

Alix B wrote:
My only complaint was that Batman sounds dumb. I understand he wants to alter his voice as to not be identified. But honestly, how many of the people he saves even meet the Bruce Wayne.

I doubt anyone would recognize him by voice. Either way, they didn't have to make it soooo extreme. He sounds like the dude from Inspector Gadget, "I'll get you next time Gadget."
Who's that, the Claw?
LMAO :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Alix B wrote:My only complaint was that Batman sounds dumb. I understand he wants to alter his voice as to not be identified. But honestly, how many of the people he saves even meet the Bruce Wayne.
Yeah, I actually think the more "realistic" and "dark" these movies get, the more they have issues with suspension of disbelief. That was why, despite how cheesy the movies seem now, Christopher Reeve was so good as Superman/Clark Kent. He played them like two different guys.

And this is why I still maintain they can never make a good movie based on "Thor." He's a Norse god, come to Earth to FIGHT CRIME! Uh, yeah.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

After Heath's performance as the Joker I would star in Brokeback mountain :lol: That was some impressive acting
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScooterTrash wrote:After Heath's performance as the Joker I would star in Brokeback mountain :lol: That was some impressive acting
Yeah, they finally start leaving the villains alive at the end of the movies and… crap. There's no way they could have another actor play the part in a sequel.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

ericalm wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:After Heath's performance as the Joker I would star in Brokeback mountain :lol: That was some impressive acting
Yeah, they finally start leaving the villains alive at the end of the movies and… crap. There's no way they could have another actor play the part in a sequel.
Yeah, I don't know where they are going to go with this......looks like two face will have magically not died
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

If your issue is with the content and not the medium, then maybe you should read something outside the hero/sci fi/fantasy genres.
Hey, I've never said there weren't good stories/comics out there--only that I don't consider them good literature! To be honest, there are way too many books out there that fall into the same catagory IMHO. Most writing is now aimed at the "lowest common denominator" so it will appeal to the broadest range of people and make more money.

There are exceptions at every level--you mentioned a few in your post and there are more. But for every intelligently written comic/graphic novel/book, there are 100 others that are essentially amoral ego-trips for the writer (and/or artist). I think of literature as the exception, not the rule, and graphic novels/comics rarely rise so high to be that exception IMHO.

Anyway, that's another discussion for another thread.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Just got home from seeing the movie! In IMAX too... WHAT A GREAT MOVIE. Probably the best super hero movie ever made. The joker was such an awesome character. Its too bad he died, he would have been the next big thing..