NBR: Office coffee drinkers

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Kurzer

NBR: Office coffee drinkers

Post by Kurzer »

If you're office is anything like mine, your coffee maker is in another room or otherwise away from your desk. Have you ever noticed when returning to your desk after killing a coffee that if you don't look at the cup while your walking you're fine... but if you look at the cup trying not to spill it's noticably harder to not spill the coffee?

I only bring this up after managing to get a nice spot on my jeans that looks like I just peed myself. I was tired and wasn't thinking to not concentrate on the cup, staring intently at the coffee swishing from side to side with every dainty step I tried to take until just into my cube and BAM! spilled coffee.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
bunny

Post by bunny »

YES!

I try hard not to look at the coffee cup...but have you ever noticed that if you try NOT to look at it, your eyes are magnetically attracted to it anyway?
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Oh my goodness!!! I am f-ing livid! So we have two big coffee servers… easily 24-30 cups each. Why is it, that everytime I go in there to get coffee… they are both totally empty? Then while I am in the middle of cleaning them, making more coffee etc… people come in and complain that there is no coffee, and I know for a fact… they have never made a pot of coffee for the office in their lives! Its not hard… filter into tray, coffee into filter, hit the brew button… not hard! GRRRRR…. Not only that… I was in the middle of brewing the first pot, and we have the kind where you can get hot water out of a spout… one of the Property Managers comes in, and fills her huge mug with hot water for her tea!!! So now that first pot is luke warm brown, coffee flavored grossness!!!! AHHHH!!!!!! Does anyone else have this problem at their office? :evil:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

MikieTaps wrote:Oh my goodness!!! I am f-ing livid! So we have two big coffee servers… easily 24-30 cups each. Why is it, that everytime I go in there to get coffee… they are both totally empty? Then while I am in the middle of cleaning them, making more coffee etc… people come in and complain that there is no coffee, and I know for a fact… they have never made a pot of coffee for the office in their lives! Its not hard… filter into tray, coffee into filter, hit the brew button… not hard! GRRRRR…. Not only that… I was in the middle of brewing the first pot, and we have the kind where you can get hot water out of a spout… one of the Property Managers comes in, and fills her huge mug with hot water for her tea!!! So now that first pot is luke warm brown, coffee flavored grossness!!!! AHHHH!!!!!! Does anyone else have this problem at their office? :evil:
Just as bad are the ones that drink the most coffee and NEVER put money into the coffee donation jar. Grrrrr.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

our office at least buys us the coffee....

but grrrrrr.... i always get the bottom of the old coffee then make new coffee, and it is gone when i go for a refill.... the nerve of some people!
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I'm a freak in that I've never tried walking with a cup of hot coffee without watching it to make sure I don't spill hahaha

I got an insulated cup with a sealed lid so after I add cream and sugar I can just shake it. So spilling on the way back to desk became a non-issue :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

It always drives me nuts when people use MY personal coffee without asking. I'm a huge coffee snob. I won't touch the office luke warm brown water. I have a french press, a grinder and a pound of fresh beans in my office. People will come into MY office, grab my grinder and beans and walk out like I won't care! I buy freakin $10 beans! Its not ok to drink all my coffee for me!
Maybe I need to cut back.....
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

MikieTaps wrote:Oh my goodness!!! I am f-ing livid! So we have two big coffee servers… easily 24-30 cups each. Why is it, that everytime I go in there to get coffee… they are both totally empty? Then while I am in the middle of cleaning them, making more coffee etc… people come in and complain that there is no coffee, and I know for a fact… they have never made a pot of coffee for the office in their lives! Its not hard… filter into tray, coffee into filter, hit the brew button… not hard! GRRRRR…. Not only that… I was in the middle of brewing the first pot, and we have the kind where you can get hot water out of a spout… one of the Property Managers comes in, and fills her huge mug with hot water for her tea!!! So now that first pot is luke warm brown, coffee flavored grossness!!!! AHHHH!!!!!! Does anyone else have this problem at their office? :evil:
You guys need Terry Tate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94
bunny

Post by bunny »

I would like to try George Carlin's kamikaze on coffee jerks...

Brew decaf for a whole month, then brew espresso.

WOOT!

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

BOTH ARE GREAT SUGGESTIONS!!!!! :D :twisted:
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I don't drink coffee because I don't like the way it tastes, I do however like the way it smells. :?: Of course I hate it whenever someone leaves about 1/8 inch in the bottom of the pot and it burns smelling up the whole office. Burnt popcorn in the microwave is pretty bad too.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Ooooo! That Terry Tate is funny stuff!
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

Filling up huge cups after someone else has done the dirty work should be a bannable office offense! I hate cleaning out the old stuff, waiting for our no pressure water to fill the pot in just under 4 minutes then go take a phone call only to come back to an almost empty pot :evil: :evil: :evil:
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

I am very happy that I am not a coffee drinker for the very reasons listed by many of you. We have a coffee maker in our room at work and it amazes me how often people take the last of the coffee and then come back later and complain that someone hasn't made more. This is in addition to all the people in between that come in and complain but then do not bother making any themselves! It once got on my nerves so much that I went and made some just so I could have som peace.
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
charltons

Post by charltons »

I keep several coffee pots in my classroom and sell it in the mornings for a fundraiser to buy equipment for my TV class. I'm kinda like a caffiene pusher...

I think the coffee spilling thing is like riding a scooter or MC- if you look down while you are turning you will mess up. Do the same thing while carrying the coffee

S- slow
L-look THROUGH the office towards your desk
P- press on handlebars (or coffee equivalent)
R- roll on the throttle (or coffee equivalent)
" You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought " - Leia
piceloni

Post by piceloni »

Kaos wrote:It always drives me nuts when people use MY personal coffee without asking. I'm a huge coffee snob. I won't touch the office luke warm brown water. I have a french press, a grinder and a pound of fresh beans in my office. People will come into MY office, grab my grinder and beans and walk out like I won't care! I buy freakin $10 beans! Its not ok to drink all my coffee for me!
Maybe I need to cut back.....
Dude, heads would roll!!! The idiots in my office just never fill the water in our single cup brewers. I'm convinced these are he same people who don't replace the toilet paper rolls when they're empty. :x
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

No problems. I have my own pot on my desk. No one else uses it but me. If its empty I did it. If its dirty I did it. If its hot I did it. If the switch is on and its empty over the weekend I did it.

Life is good. :D
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

DennisD wrote:No problems. I have my own pot on my desk. No one else uses it but me. If its empty I did it. If its dirty I did it. If its hot I did it. If the switch is on and its empty over the weekend I did it.

I knew someone who used to do that. Other people would poach his coffee when he wasn't around. If the coffee machine in the break room was empty, people would walk over and see if he was in his cubicle. If he wasn't, they'd help themselves. Even his friends thought it was real funny to empty his pot. He gave up after a couple months.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Why is it that flights of stairs are no problem but walking a straight line on a level surface causes me to spill coffee?

With having a French press at home, using the coffee maker at work is actually kinda fun. We've got one of those big "institutional" coffee makers like they have in restaurants. Filter, grounds, hit START. WHOOSH! And is starts making coffee. I always make more coffee when I cash out a pot.

Granted, the resulting liquid only loosely resembles what I consider to be coffee...
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

DennisD wrote:No problems. I have my own pot on my desk. No one else uses it but me. If its empty I did it. If its dirty I did it. If its hot I did it. If the switch is on and its empty over the weekend I did it.

I think I may need to look into that 8)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i would do that... but without a doubt... all the month end financials i push out every month would have coffee stains on them... and I would probably mess them up because i would drink EVEN MORE coffee than i do now. I am allready a 6-cup kinda guy... :?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

MikieTaps wrote:i would do that... but without a doubt... all the month end financials i push out every month would have coffee stains on them... and I would probably mess them up because i would drink EVEN MORE coffee than i do now. I am allready a 6-cup kinda guy... :?
Coffee stains are good. At least no one will steal credit for your work. It could become a signature.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hahaha a 3/4 circular brown stain next to my signature on the last page of the financials??? hahahahaha that would be awesome!! :lol:

Maybe i will do that during my last month of employment here
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

It's an epidemic! Our coffee is painfully easy to make:

1. remove old filter

2. place in new filter

3. rip open pre-measured idiot proof package of coffee

4. Dump in filter

5. Press start

That's it! They even include those directions right above the machine for the extremely inept. Still we have hardcore coffee drinkers that openly refuse to make the coffee. Often with the uppity comment "It's not my job to make the coffee around this place, don't we have someone who does that". It makes want to punch them in the face and say "I guess it's not your job to protect your face when a fist is flying at it either". ARRRGGG I need more coffee! Wait, maybe I don't. wOOt

DJE

Disclaimer: I would never really punch someone over coffee and neither should you.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
bunny

Post by bunny »

djelliott wrote:Often with the uppity comment "It's not my job to make the coffee around this place, don't we have someone who does that"
Why, yes, yes we do...the person who makes coffee is the one who drinks it. And look pointedly at them.

Or we could go back to kindergarten and use a chore chart with star stickers and all...

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

djelliott wrote:
Disclaimer: I would never really punch someone over coffee and neither should you.

I would.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

I would too :shock: . Is that bad?
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
bunny

Post by bunny »

I imagine after a bad morning ride, I would probably be ready to punch someone too for coffee...I have been known to give the hairy eyeball for lesser infractions.

iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Actually this thread should be labeled as "ISR" (is scooter related) because this same thing also happens to me when I'm riding. If I see a small piece of debris ahead and I stare at it and think " do not hit, do not hit" of course I always hit it. Same goes for potholes.
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

IT HAPPENED TO ME AGAIN!!!!! :livid:

Two of our HR employees walked out of the break room happy as S$*@ smiling, and talking with their hot steaming mugs of morning goodness.

I immedeatly thought of this post and thought naaah, they're HR, THEY KNOW BETTER!!!

On the bright side, at least they left enough coffee to tease my lips. I actually timed how long it took me to make more coffee. 14seconds. Thats like 150 seconds shorter than it took me to type this.

freakin' HR....where's terry tate?
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i am not at the office yet... i am having a slow morning...

but i am sure i will have something to complain about once i get there... :livid:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

So I thought today was going to be different…. We have two big commercial sized coffee pots and when I got my first cup I finished the bottom of one, and the other one was full. I made a new pot in the empty one and went back to the box they call my cubicle. Now I go back and there are property managers… read overpaid underworked a-holes that somehow have the favor of the president of the company… anyway, a group of PM’s standing around sipping their coffee talking about how great the “company” gold outing yesterday was. Except… no one in accounting was invited. In fact, the only people in the office yesterday were Accountants, and the Front desk people… The president has no respect for the people here that actually do the work. Anyway, I can let that all slide, until I get in to the coffee pots and they are both BONE DRY! Im gonna F-ing RAGE in this place!!! WTF?!?!?! :evil: :livid:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

NO WAY!!! As I was typing the previous post, I was waiting on the pot of Coffee that I had just set to brew. When I finished typing, I grabbed my mug and walked to the break room. On the way, I passed one of our conference room where the President, VP, and division heads were having a meeting with a new client. One of the Division Heads… knows I am the only one if the office that makes coffee… Gets up from the metting, empty coffee mug in hand… and follows me to the break room. You think if he wanted coffee so bad he could have made some for himself BEFORE the meeting with the NEW CLIENT… some people…. :roll:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Mikietaps: You should just suffer and NOT make coffee for a day or two. See if you can outlast all the people who won't make coffee. Give them a taste of how it feels.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Consider this your gift to yourself...

spend the money and pick up some really good coffee at one of the bean joints on your way to work. DO NOT MAKE COFFEE AT THE OFFICE! Everyone will smell your wonderful java and want to know where theirs is...point them to the coffeemaker and smile.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

bunny wrote:Consider this your gift to yourself...

spend the money and pick up some really good coffee at one of the bean joints on your way to work. DO NOT MAKE COFFEE AT THE OFFICE! Everyone will smell your wonderful java and want to know where theirs is...point them to the coffeemaker and smile.
I remember the responsible coffee drinkers in one office I worked at did that one time. They talked amongst themselves and agreed to not make coffee to FORCE the coffee jerks to break down and make a pot. They each brought their own thermos full of coffee to get through the day.

It didn't work. After a week and a half, not one single coffee pot was made. The jerks won. They absolutely would not make a pot. They would rather go without coffee than break down and make a pot. They were bitching like crazy, but still would not make a pot. The rest couldn't take it anymore and started making it again.
bunny

Post by bunny »

k1dude wrote:
bunny wrote:Consider this your gift to yourself...

I remember the responsible coffee drinkers in one office I worked at did that one time. They talked amongst themselves and agreed to not make coffee to FORCE the coffee jerks to break down and make a pot. They each brought their own thermos full of coffee to get through the day.

It didn't work. After a week and a half, not one single coffee pot was made. The jerks won. They absolutely would not make a pot. They would rather go without coffee than break down and make a pot. They were bitching like crazy, but still would not make a pot. The rest couldn't take it anymore and started making it again.
WOW. :shock: That's some serious passive aggressive stubbornness right there. Glad you're not there anymore...can you imagine what kind of people they were...well hell, are. To go to such great lengths so as not to make coffee

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

bunny wrote:WOW. :shock: That's some serious passive aggressive stubbornness right there. Glad you're not there anymore...can you imagine what kind of people they were...well hell, are. To go to such great lengths so as not to make coffee
LOL! You have no idea. The coffee jerks were all the exec's and some exec wanna bees. It was just part of the culture they fostered at that company. It really did suck to work there. I was an exec there, but did not fit in with the rest. But that's the story of my life.
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

k1dude wrote: LOL! You have no idea. The coffee jerks were all the exec's and some exec wanna bees. It was just part of the culture they fostered at that company. It really did suck to work there. I was an exec there, but did not fit in with the rest. But that's the story of my life.
and that's why you ride a scooter and they suck :D
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

emoboy44 wrote:and that's why you ride a scooter and they suck :D
Right on!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Apparently I'm not the only one at my office that doesn't like an empty pot.
Another guy in my office brewed a big pot of Thai Tea instead of coffee to spite the rest of the office. It looks more or less like black coffee in the pot, and most people in the office don't know the difference. They're in for a surprise today!!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

There was actually coffe in the pots today!!! HOLY CRAP!! :shock:
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

We had a little problem like that at work. It was easy to solve.

Just take the coffee makers out of the room and hide them. If you can't do that hide the coffee.

If that doesn't work then just start brewing tea for everyone. Watch how fast people will start making coffee!

And last but not least remember that bad coffee is a better deterent then no coffee. Run the pot with no filter for a few pots and have instant at your desk.

And last but not least. Put a sheet next to the coffee and everyone that makes some writes it down. If people don't make more then gang up on them.
Signs work wonders!
"If you don't make it don't take it"
bunny

Post by bunny »

And I was just thinking on the way in this morning that if office coffee drama is what we worry about, we scooterists have a leg up on the cagers.

emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

Kaos wrote:Apparently I'm not the only one at my office that doesn't like an empty pot.
Another guy in my office brewed a big pot of Thai Tea instead of coffee to spite the rest of the office. It looks more or less like black coffee in the pot, and most people in the office don't know the difference. They're in for a surprise today!!
Brilliant. You should give him five bucks just for doing that! :rofl: :o :clap:
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

How about making decaf instead?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I really should. I actually love Thai Tea, so its no big deal to me. :) Someone asked a moment ago why their coffee smelled like "pot".
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Has anyone even remotely considered the ancient practice of making coffee at home and bringing it with you in a thermos??

By the way, I called in yesterday and stayed home to watch the last alpine stage in the TdF. Wandered into work at noon and made myself a pot of fresh coffee at my desk. Sure was easy. One of my supervisor's asked if I had had coffee yet when I was passing the control room. He was pouring a cup from his thermos rather than use the Bunn pot because he likes his coffee made his way. I passed on it and made my own.

Anothe teeny tiny aggravation in life defeated.
BGK

Post by BGK »

I can't stand the smell of coffee and hate to even visit an office with a coffee maker. Coffee drinkers are as selfish as smokers when blowing their aromas around.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

BGK wrote:I can't stand the smell of coffee and hate to even visit an office with a coffee maker. Coffee drinkers are as selfish as smokers when blowing their aromas around.
Be thankful you don't have kimchi lovers in the office. :shock: Whenever you think you have it bad, someone else is worse off.