2-wheeler tally on morning commute

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MrNatural

2-wheeler tally on morning commute

Post by MrNatural »

On this morning's commute I counted 12 bicyclists; 2 motorcyclists; and 2 scooterists (including myself).
Weather was clear (not sunny since it was pre-dawn), calm and 35 degrees.
I thought that was pretty impressive......
DO3

Post by DO3 »

I was seriously debating it this morning, but without a windshield and the majority of my commute being 45-60 MPH I chickened out and took the Subaru.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Wow, warmer in MN than right here on the Mason-Dixon Line this morning.

28 degrees here for this mornings commute.

Maybe I should move North for more temperate commuting weather. :P
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Yes, it wasn't that bad this morning. I see a guy scoomuting on a Silverwing from time to time, and I did see him today. That's my tally.

-The other Kevin
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

lobsterman wrote:Maybe I should move North for more temperate commuting weather. :P
Say that again in January.....
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Kevin K,

Believe me, I am well aware of the harsh realities of the more northern states. :roll:

My dad and mom both grew up in MN (Lake Benton). I have been oft regaled with tales of the MN winters, though I have only been there in summer myself. My dad retired, left NJ where I grew up, and built a house in northern VT. It gets cold there too. Real cold.

We actually get some pretty cold weather (single digit F) and real snow here in southwestern OH once in a while, it just doesn't last for long.

I don't think I'll be riding if it dips much below the mid 20's but we'll see. So far my bus ride eradication system (Orange Buddy 125) is working out pretty well for me despite the way below average temps we've been having. I realized yesterday that out of the 150 miles I have put on the Buddy so far, only about 10 miles was done in temps above 50 degrees.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GREAT scootering weather here this week (60s in the mornings, highs in upper 70s). So, of course, I still cannot ride due to an injury and waiting on a new helmet. Hopefully it'll be this way for a few more weeks.

Saw 4 scoots on the way to work today: Honda Elite, 2 Vespas (LX and ET), one something else. I have yet to see a Buddy on the road during the commute.
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Sheesh, it was 32 on Monday, 30 on Tuesday and 29 this morning here in the ATL. I still scooted though!
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Okay, now I feel like a wuss. This morning I debated about taking the Buddy out in the high 40's. :? Ultimately... the car came out instead. I really need a windshield. I need to get more "die-hard". :D
It's Scooter-rific!!!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

High 40's is great scootering weather! I don't even need the sweatshirt underneath my textile jacket at that temperature.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
tam

Post by tam »

well i counted this morning (50F, 20 mile commute, no highway) and i counted exactly one scooter (including myself :D). I was running a little late, so it's possible all the other twowheelers were at work already...

I found that staying close (but not dangerously close) behind an SUV really helps to deflect the wind. Also helps keep the speed up since there's less headwind.

Gotta admit though, it was pretty chilly. I wear a motorcycle winter-jacket, and snowboard gloves, but also just jeans and sneakers. Feet were fine, but my knees and nuts were freezing :(
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

One sportbike this morning in the pre-dawn darkness. Five sportbikes and two Harleys this afternoon. It was in the fifties both ways. Of the guys on the Harleys, one didn't wave, neither were wearing helmets.

No scoots. Where are you guys?

ECS
RunRun

Post by RunRun »

lobsterman wrote:High 40's is great scootering weather! I don't even need the sweatshirt underneath my textile jacket at that temperature.
I guess I'm just a california guy at heart. I would FREEZE MY BALLS off at 40 degrees :shock: .
Don Cobb
Genuine Blur 150
Run 2006 Model
Keys

Post by Keys »

Coming home tonight (Friday night at 11:45) I saw three motorcycles going the opposite direction over a 5 miles distance. And it was only 39 degrees out.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

RunRun wrote:I guess I'm just a california guy at heart. I would FREEZE MY BALLS off at 40 degrees :shock: .
It's just what you're used to. If you lived in a cooler climate I guarantee you would find yourself out in < 40 degrees when you had the opportunity.

It's been really rainy here in Cleveland. We had a break Wednesday night into Thursday, so I scooted my 25 mile commute. However, it was about 31 when I left the house (I definitely need some warmer gloves - but I knew that before I left the house).

I saw a few motorcycles, but mostly on my way home when it had warmed up to the high 40s. When I get to ride daily I usually see one scooter who whizzes by in the opposite direction about the same time every morning.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Saw four scoots on the way home last night... All Vespas, all probably going to the Reflections Scooter Society Halloween ride. One passenger was wearing big pink fairy wings. I'd have gone to the ride but am working all day and night all weekend. And STILL waiting on my new helmet.