Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peabody99

Re: Who's Crashed?

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:
pesqueeb wrote:I am expected to make a full recovery and am doing well. The good news is is now I can get a Red one since it was not an option when I purchased mine. My wife continues to ride hers and I look forward to cruising through town with her again.
Wow. That's definitely looking at the bright side!
that is horrific, I am glad you made it through. I cannot believe such a low speed crash could result in such injuries. Other than a full face helmet preventing broken teeth and not sure what else could have been done. I am not one to promote lawsuits, but jeez, these fools making left turns in front of us and and ignoring 4 way stop signs when a scooter is there are a big problem. For our part we really need to be mindful of our speed. It is much harder to judge how fast a two wheeler is going vs a car. Plus some 2 wheelers are going way over the speed limit and the cagers misjudge and change lanes or turn in front of a 2 wheeler when there is not enough time to stop.
brat

Post by brat »

I hope you all recover quickly, with no lasting aches or pains.

This low speed accident is a perfect example why you ALWAYS need to wear protective gear!!!!!

Susan
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

I must say that some of these stories have been cause for pause. I admit i was part of the school that thought that a helmet alone would always suffice for all scooter riding, I ride on mostly 2 lane 25-25 mph roads and always look ahead but some of these tales are downright frightening. Plus my wife told me she saw a car vs scoot accident on the eastside of cleveland today, thankfully she said the person was up walking and seemed okay.... But perhaps these stories of woe and whoa will serve to make me a more vigilant rider, which I think they already have. I am going to size up a Corazzo jacket this weekend.. and some sturdier gloves.... take care all
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

peabody99 wrote:[
that is horrific, I am glad you made it through. I cannot believe such a low speed crash could result in such injuries. Other than a full face helmet preventing broken teeth and not sure what else could have been done. I am not one to promote lawsuits, but jeez, these fools making left turns in front of us and and ignoring 4 way stop signs when a scooter is there are a big problem. For our part we really need to be mindful of our speed. It is much harder to judge how fast a two wheeler is going vs a car. Plus some 2 wheelers are going way over the speed limit and the cagers misjudge and change lanes or turn in front of a 2 wheeler when there is not enough time to stop.
Well I guess I should actually clarify that it wasn't exactly the crash, so much as that the cager actually ran me and the scooter over after impact. The cager told the on scene officer she thought she "had hit the curb".
I do think a Full face helmet would have helped with the teeth, but to my knowledge there is no armour that is built to withstand the weight of a mid-sized German sedan.
I too generally disagree with lawsuits, but I'm going to make an exception in this case.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

scooterstud wrote:I can think of a few other questions to add since there are new posts most likely to be added to this thread.

12. What were the medical costs?
13. What gear did you have on and do you think it helped minimize your injuries in this case?
14. What if anything would you do differently? (have more gear on, take the MSF course, get a licence, slowed down etc.)

This is such a great thread and I think it ought to be a sticky as it will always be relevant.
12. Last I checked rapidly approaching a cool Million. Pacificare cannot be happy.
13. Helmet, gloves, orange reflective jacket, carhartt bibs and leather hiking boots, and no, I'm not sure a suit of medieval armor would have helped in my case. Sometimes sh*t just happens.
14. Make my own damn coffee at work and avoid Starbucks
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Redrider wrote:I must say that some of these stories have been cause for pause. I admit i was part of the school that thought that a helmet alone would always suffice for all scooter riding, I ride on mostly 2 lane 25-25 mph roads and always look ahead but some of these tales are downright frightening. Plus my wife told me she saw a car vs scoot accident on the eastside of cleveland today, thankfully she said the person was up walking and seemed okay.... But perhaps these stories of woe and whoa will serve to make me a more vigilant rider, which I think they already have. I am going to size up a Corazzo jacket this weekend.. and some sturdier gloves.... take care all
oh no. Any details (male/female? scooter type/ color?). I am worrying about friends and local fellow scooters
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

per my wife and he coworkers the rider was fine, happened on euclid hts blvd which is a pretty scary hill to be on even in a car during rush hour.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pesqueeb, I sure am glad you're expected to make a full recovery. All that sounds just plain awful!

And you, too codemonkey. Hope you're healing up right quick.
ModBud #442
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

pesqueeb wrote: 12. Last I checked rapidly approaching a cool Million. Pacificare cannot be happy.
Wow!!!
davel

Post by davel »

From these accounts, I'm getting the impression that the Buddy's front brake locks up easily and with no warning. I'd love to hear opinions about this from Buddy owners that have a lot of two-wheeled experience.
EBee

Post by EBee »

davel wrote:From these accounts, I'm getting the impression that the Buddy's front brake locks up easily and with no warning. I'd love to hear opinions about this from Buddy owners that have a lot of two-wheeled experience.
I've been riding for less than a year and this is my first scooter...but for what it's worth, in the panic stop portion of the MSF class my instructor noted I had "really nice sticky brakes" because I could stop short really fast. I don't think I've ever had them lock up 'without warning'. Just something you have to practice and get familiar with. He also told us we should go to an empty parking lot from time to time and practice, even the experienced riders in the class agreed.

Just last night my husband and I had a close call, with a speed trap of all things...we were doubled up on his Helix, riding a four lane highway with a speed limit of 45, (to other Cincinnatians, Columbia Pkwy in Terrace Park) and a cop decided he wanted to go after a car going in the opposite direction. He leapt from his spot at the side of the road and cut across 3 lanes of traffic right in front of us and a truck in the lane next to us, just missing us both!! Thank g-- my hub has good reflexes and lots of experience or we would have been an interesting article in the paper. (How would you write THAT headline??) The truck driver next to us looked over at us and we exchanged WTF! glances.

Not a mile further down the road, two teenagers with the driver on the cell phone started weaving over into our lane. When we warned them they looked at us like WE were the ones with the problem. Geez. Where was the cop when we need him? Chasing someone going over 45?

In the UK and abroad the cops are all about catching dumbass drivers, not speeders. I think it would behoove the US to rethink their priorities.

Sorry about the rant. I'm still steamed about last night. :livid:
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

davel wrote:From these accounts, I'm getting the impression that the Buddy's front brake locks up easily and with no warning. I'd love to hear opinions about this from Buddy owners that have a lot of two-wheeled experience.
I can only tell you about the 1400 or so miles I have put on my Buddy 125 so far.

The front brake is good at slowing and stopping. That's what it is supposed to do. I have never locked it up, ever. Not deliberately, not by accident. Lots of instances where I had to slow/stop abruptly, but no drama, they are great brakes.

The only way I could see it happening "without warning" is if you aren't clear about what happens when you grab the brake lever hard, rather than squeezing like you are supposed to. Take the MSF Basic Rider class and learn how to brake properly in multiple situations.

You'll be glad you did and you won't lock up without warning. Can't say it's impossible (wierd stuff happens sometimes), but the Buddy isn't done easily.
Last edited by lobsterman on Sat May 26, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

EBee wrote:
In the UK and abroad the cops are all about catching dumbass drivers, not speeders. I think it would behoove the US to rethink their priorities.

Sorry about the rant. I'm still steamed about last night. :livid:
That sounds like an excellent idea! Perhaps that is why scooter riding is more common elsewhere? Perhaps its actually safer because idiot drivers are taken out of the equation! :)
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

good lawdy, pesqueeb! the pregnant women's delivery room mantra comes through loud and clear here, 'drugs, give me drugs NOW!!!' glad to hear you're on the mend.

oh, and codemonkey, try not to self-destruct anymore. ;) keep well.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
louie

Post by louie »

pesqueeb, holy moly, good to read your thoughts. good your still having them :shock: ...and your ready to ride again :)

davel, i've only ridden one other bike it was at the BRC and i locked those brakes up...right in front of the instructor, he said quick and my first try i locked them as i stopped so it didn't kick me off, the instructor looked like :shock: and said don't do that again and i didn't.

i never locked up the buddys and i practice quick stops most days before leaving.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not necessarily "easily and without warning." It's more a matter of "easily without adequate experience and practice." When I crashed, I locked up, pulled a stoppie, went over the front and basically flipped the scoot over. But that was my first time riding the Buddy in full traffic, real-world riding. I had confronted similar circumstances many times on the Vespa without crashing, simply because I am much more familiar with it, had better instinctual knowledge of how it handles and stops, and had adjusted the brake lever tension to my liking.

Best thing to do? Take the MSF to practice the hard stopping drills. Or, at the very least, get a book (Proficient Motorcycling) or video and practice on your own.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kris Pistofferson

Post by Kris Pistofferson »

Haven't crashed yet, (I just got my Buddy today,) but the "It's just like riding a bicycle" -crowd has it wrong. I'm an enviro-kook, so I've spent the last 7 years or so riding bicycles as my only means of transportation, and I can tell you, the Buddy handles a bit differently, and I'll probably either take a motorcycle course or get a book.

The weirdest thing to get used to is turns. On a bicycle, you slow down to get more control in tight turns, with a scooter ( this is my first scooter,) it seems you want to give it gas for effective turns. I dunno, I'm still getting used to it.

I needed motorized transportation for school, and because I didn't want the (shudder) specter of Al Gore haunting my dreams, I decided to go with the cleanest, most efficient transportation possible. I did a ton of research online, and got some help from my local dealership (Scenic City Scooters-great people, and fellow Ohioans,) which led me to choose the Buddy. I'm glad I did. The thing is drop-dead gorgeous, (it got a lot of admiration from the folks at work,) and it is extremely comfortable, (I am used to a bicycle saddle, keep in mind.)

Oops, I ranted a little there. Anyway, long story short, I need to work on my skillz so I don't crash and have to post that I did in this thread. :shock:
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

Pisstofferson,
I couldn't agree more that there is a learning curve to riding a scooter, the old saying 'it's just like riding a bike' only builds to the misconception about scootering.
If you just hop on and twist without forethought and some realistic apprehension you could get hurt. Going 55mph via any vehicle is potentially dangerous, no matter how cool or cutesy it is... Gotta be careful out there.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kris Pistofferson wrote:Haven't crashed yet, (I just got my Buddy today,) but the "It's just like riding a bicycle" -crowd has it wrong. I'm an enviro-kook, so I've spent the last 7 years or so riding bicycles as my only means of transportation, and I can tell you, the Buddy handles a bit differently, and I'll probably either take a motorcycle course or get a book.

The weirdest thing to get used to is turns. On a bicycle, you slow down to get more control in tight turns, with a scooter ( this is my first scooter,) it seems you want to give it gas for effective turns. I dunno, I'm still getting used to it.
It does take some getting used to... Basic Buddy riding is very easy to master, though—I have seen neophytes take to it immediately. What often happens then is the overconfidence factor. Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=509

The MSF Basic Rider Course course is a good idea for any new rider. I have 7K+ miles under my belt and still plan on taking it... the damn things fill up fast but I'm finally registered for the end of July. I don't know anyone who has regretted taking it or has said it's a waste of money.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

One word of advice I have for all new riders is to get your speed set that you want BEFORE you enter a corner. I have ridden hundreds of scooters and the Buddy had more of a tendency than most to try to "stand up" in the corner if you apply brakes...and if it stands up, you are no longer making the corner. I learned this roadracing years ago that you scrub your speed before entering the corner and at the apex then apply throttle.

Keeps you from being able to show off your new road-rash, but that's okay...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Kris Pistofferson

Post by Kris Pistofferson »

ericalm wrote:
The MSF Basic Rider Course course is a good idea for any new rider. I have 7K+ miles under my belt and still plan on taking it... the damn things fill up fast but I'm finally registered for the end of July. I don't know anyone who has regretted taking it or has said it's a waste of money.
What's cool is they have one at my school, and I can get financial aid to pay for it. The gub'ment rocks. :clap: I just registered for it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kris Pistofferson wrote:
ericalm wrote: The MSF Basic Rider Course course is a good idea for any new rider. I have 7K+ miles under my belt and still plan on taking it... the damn things fill up fast but I'm finally registered for the end of July. I don't know anyone who has regretted taking it or has said it's a waste of money.
What's cool is they have one at my school, and I can get financial aid to pay for it. The gub'ment rocks. :clap: I just registered for it.
Awesome. If I ever become a scooter lobbyist, my first push will be for better subsidies for MSF classes in CA. It's $235 here!
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

Kris Pistofferson wrote:The weirdest thing to get used to is turns. On a bicycle, you slow down to get more control in tight turns, with a scooter ( this is my first scooter,) it seems you want to give it gas for effective turns. I dunno, I'm still getting used to it.
In Proficient Motorcycling he says you want to slow enough so you can lean and give the bike throttle through the turn. So you slow first, then lean the bike as you accelerate. He says if you have to apply breaks during the turn then you entered the turn too fast. He also says you want to 'look through the turn,' in other words look where you want to go.

Great book BTW, I recommend it for trying to pick up good riding habbits from the get go. As he says, when you are faced with an emergency you don't have a seperate set of emergency skills available, you just have what you have engraned in yourself as habbit, and that is what will come out in a panic. Its good to get used to applying both breaks with gradual pressure to slow, stuff like that.

Anyway, good luck!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Well here is my story:

Scooter Accident

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
3. Could the crash have been avoided?
4. Was the rider injured?
5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
10. How fast was the rider going?
11. How far was the rider from home?
13. What gear did you have on and do you think it helped minimize your injuries in this case?
14. What if anything would you do differently? (Have more gear on, take the MSF course, get a license, slowed down etc.)

1. Buddy 125 Series Italia.
2. Have no recall. I may have been trying to avoid a collision at an intersection in a residential area on a Thursday at 1:30 pm.
3. See 2. above.
4. Yes, abrasions to both knees and lower arms, cuts in upper lip and chin and broken bone in left hand.
5. Minor scrapes to front fender, left front inner cover, left rear cover, air cleaner cover, left mirror, headlamp, left front DOT turn signal and left grip. Major damage to headlight rim and upper and lower handle bar covers.
6. Don’t know yet.
7. Have the California 1 year permit.
8. Completed first two sessions of the MSF course. Now I will have to figure out how to get restarted when the cast is off in about 6 weeks.
9. I am the scooter’s owner.
10. Since I was still carefully breaking in the Buddy with less than 150 miles, I would not have been over 25 mph in the area where the accident occurred.
11. I was about six miles from home.
12. Don’t know what the total will be but probably under $100 out of pocket for co-pay, pain killers and antibiotics since I’m with Kaiser.
13. I was wearing the gear required by the MFS course which I felt was minimum. Jeans, long sleeve jean shirt, leather gloves, Frank Thomas boots, and a Bell ¾ helmet with face shield.
14. The next time I ride it will be with a full face helmet and armor gloves, pants and jacket.
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

Tazio wrote:Well here is my story:

Scooter Accident

14. What if anything would you do differently? (Have more gear on, take the MSF course, get a license, slowed down etc.)

1. Buddy 125 Series Italia.
2. Have no recall. I may have been trying to avoid a collision at an intersection in a residential area on a Thursday at 1:30 pm.
3. See 2. above.
4. Yes, abrasions to both knees and lower arms, cuts in upper lip and chin and broken bone in left hand.
5. Minor scrapes to front fender, left front inner cover, left rear cover, air cleaner cover, left mirror, headlamp, left front DOT turn signal and left grip. Major damage to headlight rim and upper and lower handle bar covers.
6. Don’t know yet.
7. Have the California 1 year permit.
8. Completed first two sessions of the MSF course. Now I will have to figure out how to get restarted when the cast is off in about 6 weeks.
9. I am the scooter’s owner.
10. Since I was still carefully breaking in the Buddy with less than 150 miles, I would not have been over 25 mph in the area where the accident occurred.
11. I was about six miles from home.
12. Don’t know what the total will be but probably under $100 out of pocket for co-pay, pain killers and antibiotics since I’m with Kaiser.
13. I was wearing the gear required by the MFS course which I felt was minimum. Jeans, long sleeve jean shirt, leather gloves, Frank Thomas boots, and a Bell ¾ helmet with face shield.
14. The next time I ride it will be with a full face helmet and armor gloves, pants and jacket.
Its amazing and scary to me that you can't remember the incident! The mind is a funny thing. Hope you and your buddy make a full recovery so you can get back to riding soon.
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

Bummer dude,
I wonder how difficult it will be to parts replace all that fancy green stuff. Hope your not left handed. Take it easy and heal soon!
Cheers
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

Tazio wrote: 12. Don’t know what the total will be but probably under $100 out of pocket for co-pay, pain killers and antibiotics since I’m with Kaiser.
tazio, do you have medical coverage included on your scooter policy? if so, your out-of-pocket medical costs should be covered. i discussed this very thing with my insurer, progressive, cuz like you i have medical insurance (through my work).

the agent said they would become the 'secondary' insurance and pick up costs not covered by my primary insurance. i specifically asked if that would include any out-of-pockets medical costs i may incur before my primary insurance kicked in and she said a definite 'yes'. so, something to think about.

get well soon.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Thanks for all of the kind words.

I'm right handed so with the left in a cast, I can get by, though it takes twice as long to do anything.

I am a little worried about getting the replacement parts for the Italia when I hear even the other color parts are hard to get. I'll just tape everything up until I can get them.

My insurance would pick up the additional expenses, but unless it gets to be excessive I won't bother.

Not remembering what happened is common with any kind of head trauma that results in a concussion. When my wife and I got hit by a car running a red light while riding our tandem bicycle last year, she went down hard and split her helmet. She never lost conciousness and was walking and talking normally but remembers nothing about the accident or events that preceeded it by an hour or so.

For me, the worst thing about waiting to heal, is getting out of condition for the hard cycling that I do. Best estimates are that it takes twice as long to get back into shape as the time missed and bicycle riders are a heartless bunch when it comes down to dropping other riders. I know that I never show any pity when someone's in trouble. It all goes back to my racing days in the 70's I guess.

Life is a risky endeavor but never trying things is really no life either. I've retired from mountain climbing, bike racing, auto racing and gun fighting and though I have had injuries and losses in these sports, the memories of the great times made it all worthwhile.
louie

Post by louie »

several people have insisted i "went down". so...i think i misjudged my speed and direction. i went off the black top turning into a rest stop down about 4 inches into some gravel and probly hit my front brake. sorry ray and thanks for being understanding, especially since it shouldn't have happened. :(

1. Which Buddy /125) was crashed? orange
2. Was the crash due to rider error? yes
What time of day did it occur? noonish
3. Could the crash have been avoided? oh yea.
4. Was the rider injured? a little bruise on the lower calf
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? a scrach on the front brake lever and :oops: a scratch on an old scratched up (thank goodness :roll: ) vespa p200
6. Cost of repairs, if any? none
7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neiher? gotta license
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? yea
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? yea
10. How fast was the rider going? 5ish mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 150ish miles on the beautiful Nachez Trace.

All i can say is for all those out there that say it's not if but when. OK it's done! i've dropped a bike and spilled my scooter(i sound like a bad cocktail waitress).
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

glad youre ok! it is amazing how even at slow speeds you can get knocked around quite a bit. I am not sure if i like the common philosophy that you will eventually wreck. Lets hope not. I know people that have been riding for years that have never had an accident and some have had a few... :(
Last edited by peabody99 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
louie

Post by louie »

peabody99 wrote:glad youre ok! it is amazing how even at slow speeds you can get knocked around quite a bit. I am not sure if i like the common philosophy that you will eventually wreck. Let hope not. I know people that have been riding for years that have never had an accident and some have had a few... :(
i've never believed in it, as a matter of fact it's pissed me off. just thought about it and mentioned it.

you've replaced the first cream buddy?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

POC my dealer and Genuine concluded it needed to be put out to pasture at no expense to me. While they were trying to figure the problem out, they gave me a 2007 to borrow. Now I am keeping it. I should have borrowed an SI :lol: I didnt though b/c I was afraid they would have to pry me off it kicking and screaming. I am thrilled anyway though and I sure won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I may have the first double on this thread

Black 125.

Nope. Around 5 pm.

Yes. I could have stayed home. I could have been more careful since there were cagers on the road. I was in the left lane passing a SUV just ahead of me in the right lane. A pickup truck pulled up to the stop sign coming out of the ANG base, and the SUV swerved like the driver thought the pickup wasn't stopping. I let off the gas and swerved to avoid contact and got too close to the curb on the median. The center stand whacked the curb, and the Budd kinda ejected me. I rolled along the median while the Budd slid to a stop down the road a bit. The pickup driver, an ANG Lt. Col., stopped in the left lane behind me (Thank you, sir!) which kept anyone else from smacking me or the Budd, and asked me if I was all right. I was mostly pissed off, but I thanked him, shut off the Budd and stood it up, looked for and found my face shield, checked my scoot, then fired it up, and rode home.

Minor bruises and muscle stiffness. My helmet's face shield got scratched up, and I'd like to thank FirstGear for their terrific Venom mesh tex jacket that I got from NewEnough.com. The armor in the shoulder and elbow prevented worse injuries, and the jacket is undamaged. There is a stone bruise on the inside of my left shin.

Scratched plastic on the left side this time and the front fender, and the center stand lever is kinda gouged and silvery now.

Repairs? Nah!

7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neiher?

Yes.

A long time ago.

Yes.

About 35 since I let off the throttle shortly before impact.

Four and a half miles.

ECS
[/i]
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

phew -glad youre ok. you make my point exactly you can have more that
one accident! P.s I love how louie admitted error-hardly anyone does that!
louie

Post by louie »

peabody99 wrote: you make my point exactly you can have more that
one accident! P.s I love how louie admitted error-hardly anyone does that!
thanks, but i'm still not havin another :twisted:
Janine
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

louie wrote:I'm keeping up mainly with #8. So far, I think, 13 of 16 crashes took place before the rider took the BRC.
I understand where you're going with this, but I don't see how the MSC could have prevented my crash. I was wearing old glasses (needed a new Rx) that had a major role in my crash.

I chalk it up to rider error but not one the MSC would have prevented.

Also, I WOULD HAVE taken the course if they let me ride my own scoot and not the motorcycles they have.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

ericalm wrote:
Awesome. If I ever become a scooter lobbyist, my first push will be for better subsidies for MSF classes in CA. It's $235 here![/quote]

1st step, move to Sacramento. Next step talk to my wife or I on how to register as a lobbyst. Next step, get funding from general scooter community. Also will need to build some sort of association... :wink:
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
weaseltamer

i joined the crash club today

Post by weaseltamer »

orange 125

no rider error, occured at 12:30 pm

if the lady behind me had noticed my brakelight and blinkers

some bruises, minor road rash. nothing broken or sprained

i haven't seen her yet :*( :cry:

see above

full M license

yes

yes

approx. 30-40

prob. 20-30 miles

i suppose i'll find out soon enough

full face helmet, cortech armored jacket, ankle covering boots

i wish i had flashed my brake lights, i do this sometimes, but for unknown reason didn't at this turn today. may or may not have averted.

rundown: i was turning of a state highway in a smallish town. as i was turning a van behind me didnt notice my brake/blinkies and hit my rear right side. i was already in the turn at that tie, so what seemed to happen was she just hit the scoot out from under me. when i landed i rolled a few times, but i don't know how i was oriented when i landed. i didn't get up or anything. the lady that hit me was pretty upset. the emts pretty much insisted that i go to the hospital. :cry: :cry:
brat

Post by brat »

That sucks!! We are all glad you are not hurt more than you are. Please let us know how you are doing and how you scooter is!!

I remember that feeling after I stopped moving. Just wanted to be left alone for a little bit to get my bearings.

BTW she should be upset. She was way to close to you if she hit you!!!!

Susan
louie

Post by louie »

KidDynomite wrote:
louie wrote:I'm keeping up mainly with #8. So far, I think, 13 of 16 crashes took place before the rider took the BRC.
I understand where you're going with this, but I don't see how the MSC could have prevented my crash. I was wearing old glasses (needed a new Rx) that had a major role in my crash.

I chalk it up to rider error but not one the MSC would have prevented.

Also, I WOULD HAVE taken the course if they let me ride my own scoot and not the motorcycles they have.
i think part of taking the course envolves believing in its ability to give you info you need; including, crashes are caused by mixing many factors (listning to music while riding, bad vision, new or unusual riding conditions, rush hour are all factors), the more factors you eliminate the less likelihood of crashing.

i can't see without my glasses so to me you added a huge risk factor to the alignment of your crash. the course taught me that 8) .

take the course on one of their bikes. i did and it was fun, big fat fun :twisted:
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

louie wrote: i think part of taking the course envolves believing in its ability to give you info you need; including, crashes are caused by mixing many factors (listning to music while riding, bad vision, new or unusual riding conditions, rush hour are all factors), the more factors you eliminate the less likelihood of crashing.

take the course on one of their bikes. i did and it was fun, big fat fun :twisted:
agreed. to me it seems no differant that knowing how to drive a manual car. might as well learn in the event you need it. there have been times when several of our family cars aren't working or available for any of life's many reasons. When we tally who needs what to get their errands done my two sisters can only use the automatic vehicles, and it may have just been plainly easier if they could have taken a different one.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

O NOOOOO y'all! :( I am so glad you three latest crashers are (mostly?) okeh! Here are some internet {{{hugs}}} and well wishes.
ModBud #442
louie

Post by louie »

polianarchy wrote:O NOOOOO y'all! :( I am so glad you three latest crashers are (mostly?) okeh! Here are some internet {{{hugs}}} and well wishes.
hmmm group hugs :) , thanks polianarchy, only a bruise that's gone and a scratch that's hard to see.
not easy to fess up but data collection is my religion :? .

is that your tatoo in your avatar?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

louie wrote:hmmm group hugs :) , thanks polianarchy, only a bruise that's gone and a scratch that's hard to see.

Data collection is your religion? Thou must be-eth a LIBRARIAN!!! (or not)

Yes, that is my latest tattoo. It is the light of knowledge. Traditionally, this has been symbolized by an oil lamp, but uh, I've never used an oil lamp. My studying has been all electric, woo.

So, do you recognize that lightbulb?! :twisted:
ModBud #442
louie

Post by louie »

polianarchy wrote:
louie wrote:hmmm group hugs :) , thanks polianarchy, only a bruise that's gone and a scratch that's hard to see.

Data collection is your religion? Thou must be-eth a LIBRARIAN!!! (or not)

Yes, that is my latest tattoo. It is the light of knowledge. Traditionally, this has been symbolized by an oil lamp, but uh, I've never used an oil lamp. My studying has been all electric, woo.

So, do you recognize that lightbulb?! :twisted:
do tell.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Crap. Am I the only one old enough to have used an oil lamp?

--Keys :(
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Keys wrote:Crap. Am I the only one old enough to have used an oil lamp?
Uh, no. I have two kerosene lanterns, four "oil lamps" (they look like old oil lamps to me), and three oil "candles." They work just fine when the power goes out (not very often).

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

When we used to have storm power outages my mom would light up one of our couple oil lamps. the "special-ness" had a soothing effect on us kids. and we had to be uber careful not to break that shit.
louie

Post by louie »

Keys wrote:Crap. Am I the only one old enough to have used an oil lamp?

no

and what kind of racer is that on your avatar :lol:
Keys

Post by Keys »

I believe it says "cooter". I've been wondering about that myself...

--Keys 8)