Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Looks like the impact compressed the plastics enough so that chunks of it splintered and blew off. As long as your frame and forks are OK, not the worst thing that could happen. And, there's always duct tape. :D
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color?
2006 Buddy 125 in tangerine
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
I don't feel that it was my error. Tonight a guy threw a substantial bag of trash out of his window and hit my front wheel with it. It happened when he was level with me, so I doubt I could have avoided it. It was around 5:50 pm.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Maybe, if seen it coming out of the window. I may need to start watching traffic in the opposite lane when it's a lifted truck flying an obnoxious flag.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
I have some bruising, but that's all I've foubd so far. I had a 3/4 helmet with face shield, jacket, pants, and gloves.
5. What was the damage to the scooter?
She started rough upon being righted, but since starts fine and made it home ok. Looks like scratches here and there.
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
I haven't taken it in yet.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
5 months of daily riding (no alternative vehicle) I have a motorcycle endorsement.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
Yes!
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yep, all mine!
10. How fast was the rider going?
I was slowing down for a light, so only about 15-20
11. How far was the rider from home?
Around 7 miles
Syd

Post by Syd »

Threw a bag of trash at you (intentionally or not)? Bummer. Glad you're OK so far.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Are we talking a car/truck window or from a building?

I don't think either was a good thing on the other person's part, just curious...

Glad to hear that no serious damage was done to rider or bike.

I guess that "awareness" needed to safely operate a two-wheeled vehicle in a four (or more) wheeled world has just gotten more demanding - not only watch out for sudden, idiotic moves, but debris, loose cargo, and serial littering...

Sorry to hear about the incident, glad it was not worse.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

That just totally sucks. Glad that you were not seriously hurt, but it could have been otherwise.

I would encourage you to file a police report. Someone who would do something like that to you, likely has done something like that before, will likely reoffend, and is a risk to other riders on the road.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wingscribe wrote:Are we talking a car/truck window or from a building?
She said it was thrown from the window of a vehicle which she described as a "lifted truck flying an obnoxious flag" in the opposite lane.

Heck of a thing. I guess it just goes to show that almost any bizarre thing could happen sooner or later. Invisibleanomaly - glad you are mostly okay.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

All that because someone threw trash out the window? Did they stop?

I'd be livid....

Glad you're OK!
Invisibleanomaly

Right out the drivers side window of the moving truck. They were in the lane going the opposite direction and sped up after they threw it, but I'd still like to think that it wasn't thrown at me because that makes it feel so much worse.
I'm mostly ok today, just bruises, sore muscles, and a lot of righteous anger over the behavior of people on the road. A few people who saw it happen stopped to help, but nobody got his plate number so I couldn't report that to the sheriff who insisted that it must have been an accident and therefore I could only report it as littering.
I think that my scooter is ok, but I'm not 100% sure what to look for.
bikerbrewer

Post by bikerbrewer »

Invisibleanomaly wrote:They were in the lane going the opposite direction and sped up after they threw it, but I'd still like to think that it wasn't thrown at me because that makes it feel so much worse.
It'd feel better, but c'mon, east county assholes are all over the place in this city.
bikerbrewer

Camera?

Post by bikerbrewer »

Incidentally, things like this and the mountains of screams, threats, intentional swerves, etc. on my bicycle make me want a decent helmet camera solution for both front AND rear recording. Gopro's seems focused on getting great footage when I want to actually think about it. Is there anything that will just record on a loop constantly without any supervision where all I need to do is charge it once in a while and perhaps push a start button? Ideally it would sense motion and use that to know when to record, but suppose I could get over that.

Basically I just want my heirs to be able to sue whatever jackass murders me.
Invisibleanomaly

bikerbrewer wrote: It'd feel better, but c'mon, east county assholes are all over the place in this city.
I was in Santee, and headed in the direction of Lakeside. That is where we keep most of them. Unfortunately as Santee doesn't have their own police department it's handled through the sheriffs office who said that the only thing to do is to file a littering complaint. I did that, and listed the people who offered up their names and numbers as witnesses, but I doubt that anything will come of it.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Invisibleanomaly wrote:
bikerbrewer wrote: It'd feel better, but c'mon, east county assholes are all over the place in this city.
I was in Santee, and headed in the direction of Lakeside. That is where we keep most of them. Unfortunately as Santee doesn't have their own police department it's handled through the sheriffs office who said that the only thing to do is to file a littering complaint. I did that, and listed the people who offered up their names and numbers as witnesses, but I doubt that anything will come of it.
Whew! That's not very helpful, is it? Here on the East Coast a trucker fell asleep and drove over a group of motorcyclists stopped by the side of I-85 killing two of them, including a much-liked guy from my town. The cops down in North Carolina where this happened tried to let the truck driver off with a misdemeanor charge carrying a $200 fine, about like littering. Folks here are furious. They're trying to get a petition up, talking to the media, starting an online campaign to see if they can get some action. And this is with two dead bodies and a mountain of crushed motorcycles laying on the road.
mfavata

Post by mfavata »

2012 Stella 4t - Creme

No, a large pothole, early morning.

Yes. Don't go so fast on unfamiliar roads.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Yes, broken toe, broken ribs, lots of bruises. Wearing GoGoGear armored hoodie and an open face helmet.

Scrapes on engine cowl, damaged front fender, damage to throttle tube.

None, so far. Was able to ride home. Mostly cosmetic damage.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Several years experience. License.

No.

Yes.

35-40.

Two blocks from work, several miles from home.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Very sorry to hear about your crash - hope you are mending all right.

Good to hear you had gear on.

You mention "early morning," was it dark when everything happened?
mfavata

Post by mfavata »

No, it was daylight out. I went down a road I don't normally go, came up over the top of a hill and as I started to go down the other side there was a very large pothole. Couldn't see it coming up because of the hill, so I wiped out pretty hard. This was about two weeks ago, so I'm feeling a little better now.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

2004 Stella GB

Yep, totally my fault - Noon

Yep totally. I was going too quick on a unfamilar road. This is called the PA version of the Tail of the Dragon. There was this curve that I went into too hot. In that curve, there is a steep bank that suddenly levels while maintaining the curve. The Stella could not handle the transition at that speed and I veered over the curve and the Stella somehow started to "tankslap" and I lost control. I ended up sliding down the road with the Stella.

Bruised and sore all over. Some road rash on my back and left elbow. My butt is all black and blue. I was wearing a mesh jacket, gloves, and a full face. I was wearing boots. I also had shorts on. Amazily not a scratch on my legs.

Crushed fender, clutch side of the handle bent down. Cowl scratched up. Amazingly the windshield remained intact with only a slight scrape.

6. Cost of repairs, if any? TBA

3 years. Licensed.

Yes

Yes

Unknown but it was definitely too fast. I was having too much fun on the twisties and pushed the envelope of what the Stella could handle too far. I also was on a unfamiliar road.

156 miles.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Bummer, hope you heal up quick, Todd. On the bright side the Stella has character now. :D
Clydeo

Insensitive

Post by Clydeo »

I don't mean to be insensitive, and I am sorry about the wreck and all, but I live in PA, too. Where is this PA "tail of the dragon" at? Sounds like fun!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

It is route 125 west of Pottstown and ends in Shamokin. Be careful on those curves! They're tricky.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Todd, you are one of the few I'd thought would post a 'crash report' here. Glad however to hear you weren't badly hurt.

Just to add, I've been thinking of taking that ride myself. Hooking up with that route in Pine Grove and making a two day affair of it with my youngest, he's recently picked up a Paggio Fly 50. (Hence needing two days.)

Be well
Keith
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Not sure if you mean to say you "thought I would be posting a crash report here". gee thanks a lot?

Actually last year friends and I did this route 125 all the way to Centralia from Harrisburg on 50cc scooters in one LONG day.

100 additional cc's does get you in trouble!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

RoaringTodd wrote:Not sure if you mean to say you "thought I would be posting a crash report here". gee thanks a lot?

Actually last year friends and I did this route 125 all the way to Centralia from Harrisburg on 50cc scooters in one LONG day.

Hey Todd, what KABarash said was that, "Todd, you are one of the few I'd thought would post a 'crash report' here." What he means is that he thought it very unlikely that you would ever post in this much-dreaded thread. It's just a little misunderstanding. Everything is cool, okay?

In other news, I'm glad to hear you didn't get hurt any worse than you did. I totally understand what you mean about the curve suddenly flattening out while you are riding through it. That is as bad as the curve suddenly getting sharper. It's really easy to crash when that happens. Again, I'm glad you are (mostly) okay. Hope you are back out riding again soon.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

jrsjr wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:Not sure if you mean to say you "thought I would be posting a crash report here". gee thanks a lot?

Hey Todd, what KABarash said was that, "Todd, you are one of the few I'd thought would post a 'crash report' here." What he means is that he thought it very unlikely that you would ever post in this much-dreaded thread. It's just a little misunderstanding. Everything is cool, okay?

In other news, I'm glad to hear you didn't get hurt any worse than you did. I totally understand what you mean about the curve suddenly flattening out while you are riding through it. That is as bad as the curve suddenly getting sharper. It's really easy to crash when that happens. Again, I'm glad you are (mostly) okay. Hope you are back out riding again soon.
Exactly, I never expected to hear of you going down.
Sorry about the confusion in wording.

I am generally in the Harrisburg area, south of Hershey. I know I can make it to FtIG in roughly 45 mins on my 150, Pine Grove isn't much farther. Son with the 50 is a new-ish rider, I figure if we don't push it we could enjoy a few days out, putting up for the night in a motel somewhere.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
bikerbrewer

Wife crash

Post by bikerbrewer »

My wife rides ten times more than I do (commutes 30 miles a day on the Buddy) but she's not really a forum goer. I thought I'd post here. She won't be riding for a pretty long time, though, given that her arm's in a cast and the Buddy isn't in great shape.

2013 Buddy 170i Oxford green

No. Morning rush hour (around 8 AM). An asshole didn't see her (or if they did they committed attempted murder) and drove right in to her because they thought the lane was open. They hit her, sending her to the ground with her and the scooter hitting the car in front of her. Then they drove off.

Don't share roads with idiots and murderers (i.e. Americans). Wear a helmet camera, or ideally a helmet machine gun. Seriously rethink the decision to move back to the US because hit and runs are apparently part of the culture here.

Three broken wrist bones, possible arm fracture, plenty of road rash, .
Gear: Gloves, Bilt full-face helmet, Heavy leather jacket with padding (really, really glad she was wearing that, it got torn up even going 20ish mph). Work pants (destroyed, of course)

Does anyone here have any experience with palm sliders? I'm wondering if they could've helped prevent wrist injury.

Plastics are pretty much trashed and on the 4 mile ride home from the $245 tow (that's ridiculous for a 3 mile tow and 6 hours of storage, in my view...) it reminded me of a bike where the handlebars don't align with the front wheel, pulling strongly. Started and ran OK, though.

Don't know yet. Might just take off the plastics and turn it into a streetfighter scooter. Concerned about the suspension, front forks, etc. though since it wasn't riding straight.

3 months, 2 of them commuting 30+ miles a day, about 1500ish miles, Full license.

Yes

Yes, it's registered to both of us

Roughly 20mph.

About 3 miles.

I realize my remarks might have bothered people but I think there is something seriously wrong with a morally bankrupt culture where it is so commonplace for people to, for all they know, inflict mortal injury and then drive off. Fortunately some people did stop to help her, but I'm pretty mad at cagers right now.

As a nice little bonus, I stopped at CVS on the way home from the tow company and some jackass at the drug store asked me if "mommy wouldn't let me have a real motorcycle". Mind you it had obviously just been crashed.

I'm pretty mad at San Diegans right now.

Post by 8008135 »

I just moved to San Diego last year from the Bay Area.

I'm sure there are plenty of very nice San Diegans, but seriously, WTF, people drive like shit down here.
bikerbrewer

SD drivers

Post by bikerbrewer »

Yeah, some of my best friends are San Diegan and all that, but honestly even a lot of those friends are crappy drivers. People tailgate, don't signal, go way too fast on small roads, have no lane discipline, text, and don't know what a mirror is.
Invisibleanomaly

I swear, not all San Diegans are terrible people!
I'm so sorry that your wife was injured, that sounds absolutely horrible. I hope that she recovers well, and that someone comes forward with some kind of information about the jerk that hit her. I hate that this kind of thing is considered any kind of normal here (in this country, or this area) and it's awful that you had to have firsthand experience.

Is there any chance that somebody may have seen the person who did this?
bikerbrewer

Witnesses

Post by bikerbrewer »

There were a couple witnesses but nobody got a plate number.

I feel kinda bad for my remarks, obviously there are lots of great people here (and it's not like other places don't have bad ones). I just can't fathom how a person could strike someone with their car and leave, especially someone on a scooter (or motorcycle, bicycle, or just walking etc.) especially. I mean, two sedans hit each other at low speed and the guy runs away? Well, maybe he didn't have insurance, didn't want to explain his lack of a license to the cops, whatever. Hitting a human being's body with your car, and driving off, though? That's pretty callous.
Invisibleanomaly

I know exactly what you mean. The person who threw that bag out his window didn't stop, and a couple of people who stopped to help swear that it must have been intentional because they saw him speed up. It's hard not to be left with a huge sense of "people suck" when things like this happen.
BeefSupreme

Re: Witnesses

Post by BeefSupreme »

bikerbrewer wrote:There were a couple witnesses but nobody got a plate number.

I feel kinda bad for my remarks, obviously there are lots of great people here (and it's not like other places don't have bad ones). I just can't fathom how a person could strike someone with their car and leave, especially someone on a scooter (or motorcycle, bicycle, or just walking etc.) especially. I mean, two sedans hit each other at low speed and the guy runs away? Well, maybe he didn't have insurance, didn't want to explain his lack of a license to the cops, whatever. Hitting a human being's body with your car, and driving off, though? That's pretty callous.
Since the smart phone era, there are no safe roads anymore. On top of that, a person involved in a crash that was using their phone knows that police will most likely check their device to see if they were texting during the crash, that alone will prompt someone to leave the scene more than no insurance these days. It's sad, but I never leave home without my helmet cam, modern roads are a obstacle course of self absorbed, potential murders who are incapable of accepting responsibility.

Wishing a speedy recovery to your wife!
bikerbrewer

Helmet Cam

Post by bikerbrewer »

What helmet cam do you use? I'd like one that just runs all the time (or only requires one button push) and then stays in loop mode, but it seems like all I can find are things like gopro, which aren't as great for "always on, don't make me think about it" operation.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Time to add another crash. You all will like this one. My friend is in front on his slammed Ruckus. I'm behind him on my SYM CityCom and my wife is pulling the rear on her triked Buddy 125. Ruckus is going over wet railroad tracks and has the back end spin 'round tossing him on the ground at 5-10mph. I pull up next to him on the CityCom to block traffic (and give him grief for falling) and next thing I know I'm on the ground next to him watching the City slide down the road! So I get up wondering what hit me and as Im turning around I notice Buddy baby blue panel chunks all over the ground. My wife hit ME on HER scooter, knocking me down. Ruck rider got a banged up knee, I dislocated my thumb and wife got a bruise on her knee from hitting the drink tray. Glad she was not on her Spyder, and also glad no one got seriously hurt!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

sc00ter wrote: So I get up wondering what hit me and as Im turning around I notice Buddy baby blue panel chunks all over the ground. My wife hit ME on HER scooter, knocking me down. Ruck rider got a banged up knee, I dislocated my thumb and wife got a bruise on her knee from hitting the drink tray. Glad she was not on her Spyder, and also glad no one got seriously hurt!
Since no one got hurt, I find this humorous!
skully93

Re: Witnesses

Post by skully93 »

bikerbrewer wrote:There were a couple witnesses but nobody got a plate number.

This is ridiculous. I worry about this daily with us riding. My wife will now not be a daily rider, since her new job is 15 miles away by scooter, and through a much more high speed area. We figured it's cheaper to get her a light rail pass.

But CO drivers also drive terribly. I refuse to give up, but I'm very wary, and use the horn liberally.
BeefSupreme

Re: Helmet Cam

Post by BeefSupreme »

bikerbrewer wrote:What helmet cam do you use? I'd like one that just runs all the time (or only requires one button push) and then stays in loop mode, but it seems like all I can find are things like gopro, which aren't as great for "always on, don't make me think about it" operation.
I've got a contour roam, does exactly what you ask. One big slide button on top starts and stops. No settings to mess with and it's low profile compared to a go pro and waterproof without a case. Battery lasts about 2.5 - 3 hours depending on resolution, some models have removable batteries I have some videos on youtube all recorded with it if you want to check out the quality. EDIT: one thing it doesn't do is loop recording, but with a 32g card in it records around 4 hours, there is a button in the back door that wipes the card if you do fill it up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNMzze ... 4E_kSVOl9w

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-ROAM3-Wat ... b_title_ce
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My friend calls me the "falling reaper". I was riding about a month ago with a friend who fell in the rain on my old Buddy 125 (new tires=slow riding in rain), then I fall off a beach cruiser at work, then my chain reaction fall that I posted here and now Im coming home from work last night and watch a guy fall off a bicycle on the sidewalk (he clipped a bag hanging from his handlebars on a bus stop sign). May look into a GoPro type device so I can share the falls with everyone!
scootERIK

Re: Wife crash

Post by scootERIK »

bikerbrewer wrote:Don't share roads with idiots and murderers (i.e. Americans).
How do you know they were American?

I will keep they rest of my comments to that statement to myself...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Because Obama keeps all the illegal aliens out of our country! You have to come here legally and be registered, duh! Only US citizens live in the USA.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:
scootERIK wrote:
Because Obama keeps all the illegal aliens out of our country! You have to come here legally and be registered, duh! Only US citizens live in the USA.
I think you are all pushing the edge of the posting guidelines fairly hard.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Haven't had my first scooter crash yet. 2 motorcycle crashes; one going way too fast around a corner & hitting a huge water puddle before I could slow down. No injuries, busted up bike. Other time a driver didn't see me & after a long pause he quickly pulled onto the road & I bounced off the front of his truck. He sped away. Bruised shin, sore ankle & busted up bike. Huge believer in hi vis gear, lights & reflective tape now.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

sc00ter wrote:My friend calls me the "falling reaper". I was riding about a month ago with a friend who fell in the rain on my old Buddy 125 (new tires=slow riding in rain), then I fall off a beach cruiser at work, then my chain reaction fall that I posted here and now Im coming home from work last night and watch a guy fall off a bicycle on the sidewalk (he clipped a bag hanging from his handlebars on a bus stop sign). May look into a GoPro type device so I can share the falls with everyone!
Uh, please PM me if you ever plan on coming to NJ. I'll be sure to lock up the scoot and stay in the basement.
bikerbrewer

Post by bikerbrewer »

scootERIK wrote:

As I said, I feel kind of bad for my remarks. And really, I meant "people who grew up with American driving culture". The nation on their passport doesn't matter.

I only recently moved back to the states after 2.5 years abroad (Ireland, with some stints in London). My time in Europe is really the main reason I wanted a scooter - I was envious of them!

I ride a bicycle a lot by most people's standards (a few thousand miles a year) and the degree of courtesy, skill, and awareness on the part of drivers there puts those here in the US to shame. Mind you, Dublin doesn't even have particularly amazing bike infrastructure. I think most people here are simply stunned to see a person walking, much less a vehicle that isn't two tons of steel and might behave differently from an automobile, and they feel like the privileged position of the automobile on our roads (own the road, can kill bicyclists with impunity, etc.) might be threatened. Or they just care more about being 30 seconds early than not murdering people.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

bikerbrewer wrote:As I said, I feel kind of bad for my remarks. ...

... and they feel like the privileged position of the automobile on our roads (own the road, can kill bicyclists with impunity, etc.) might be threatened. Or they just care more about being 30 seconds early than not murdering people.
Aaaaand, you're doing it again.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
bikerbrewer

Post by bikerbrewer »

PeteH wrote:
bikerbrewer wrote:As I said, I feel kind of bad for my remarks. ...

... and they feel like the privileged position of the automobile on our roads (own the road, can kill bicyclists with impunity, etc.) might be threatened. Or they just care more about being 30 seconds early than not murdering people.
Aaaaand, you're doing it again.
Doing what?
bikerbrewer

Post by bikerbrewer »

For some more reasoned thought on the matter:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/opini ... .html?_r=0
Syd

Post by Syd »

This discussion is like a reasoned conversation about oil on a scooter forum. Or gas. It goes nowhere and everyone gets pissed off.

Drivers drive like they own the road. Cyclists ride like the rules don't apply to them. Scooterists are the most reasoned, considerate, law-abiding, best looking people on the planet. Accept those truths and your life will be much happier.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Okay. Okay. Break it up. We've all posted things we regret on the interwebs. Nothing to see here. Move along.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Will do Charlie! May be out your way to go to Tandems East one day. If we (wife and I) take the scoot and/or Spyder then we cant impulse buy a bicycle, only test ride. Oh, and I was just swatting the hornets nest with my reply to the "American" drivers. I ride my scooter everyday and year round. Just be alert, take a safety class to sharpen your skills and ENJOY riding OVERALL. Its that simple. Getting cut off and stuff is just a small part of the experience.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Syd wrote:Drivers drive like they own the road. Cyclists ride like the rules don't apply to them. Scooterists are the most reasoned, considerate, law-abiding, best looking people on the planet. Accept those truths and your life will be much happier.
AGREED WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! (Especially the part about us all being ridiculously good looking. 8) )
KooK

Post by KooK »

Well, I really never wanted to list here(like anybody really does) but today to work, I laid it down. Going through the French Quarter cars are usually stopped, I ride by them on the right. Well today like every other day, I was passing car after car, not fast. But they're stopped. Some (profane words here) opened their door on me. I had no time to react. The door opened and my knee hit the edge of the door got wrapped up and down I went. Thankfully I was only going about 5 or so mph. So I didn't go down hard nor did the RH. Just a very small scratch under the foot rest and that is about all. I got up cussed a bit and headed off to work. Nothing seems off, but gonna take it on for a good overlook to be sure. I, am fine, the left knee is sore, can't wait to see the bruises. The back of my right calf was where the scooter dragged me off it. So there is a knot forming. But hopefully it just bruises up too and that is all. I am usually very careful and observant for stuff like this, but it still happened. I was going slow enough and cautious enough that thankfully I walked away just bruises! The car did not have the tell tale signs of opening their door like slanted into the curb or anything. They just opened the door, tourists!

So, yay for me I made this post unfortunately!!