Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KooK wrote:So, yay for me I made this post unfortunately!!
Glad to hear that injury and damage were minor. There is actually a series of 11 questions for you to answer when posting on this thread. Look at page 1 of the thread.
KooK

Post by KooK »

Whoops. Next accident will be reported correctly!
tysondav

Post by tysondav »

I just ordered my first scooter but you guys are scaring me. Does everyone that owns a scooter eventually get involved in an accident?
Tyson
Lexington KY
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

tysondav, did you ever fall off of a bicycle? Skateboard? Roller skates? Fender bender in a car? Your obviously still here so if you have ever gotten hurt doing anything, your still alive! Buy properly fitting gear and take your time learning to ride. Take a safety class. Overall, enjoy your new scoot!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

tysondav wrote:I just ordered my first scooter but you guys are scaring me. Does everyone that owns a scooter eventually get involved in an accident?
Don't let this thread scare you, instead think of it as a learning opportunity!

Also, keep in mind that this thread has been around since 2006 - 35 pages, and perhaps half or less (I haven't gone through to count) would be actual crash reports.

Read through the posts, learn how to avoid the mistakes other have made (if they have made any), and enjoy your new scoot!
tysondav

Post by tysondav »

sc00ter wrote:tysondav, did you ever fall off of a bicycle? Skateboard? Roller skates? Fender bender in a car? Your obviously still here so if you have ever gotten hurt doing anything, your still alive! Buy properly fitting gear and take your time learning to ride. Take a safety class. Overall, enjoy your new scoot!
Yes to all of those but I never ended up in the hospital for any of them.

Point taken though. My scoot should be here next week. I've already bought 2 helmets, a jacket and gloves. Can't wait!
Tyson
Lexington KY
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tysondav wrote:My scoot should be here next week. I've already bought 2 helmets, a jacket and gloves. Can't wait!
You haven't said whether you have taken the MSF basic course or equivalent. If you haven't, you should. You didn't buy your first car and just drive off with no previous training or experience, did you?
tysondav

Post by tysondav »

Dooglas wrote:
tysondav wrote:My scoot should be here next week. I've already bought 2 helmets, a jacket and gloves. Can't wait!
You haven't said whether you have taken the MSF basic course or equivalent. If you haven't, you should. You didn't buy your first car and just drive off with no previous training or experience, did you?
I checked into it but the next class is not offered until March in my city. I will be signing up for it.
Tyson
Lexington KY
Lambert146

Post by Lambert146 »

Genuine has a great two year warranty which is one of the best around for scooters. I don't know why anyone would want to do something that even arguably voids the warranty. :roll:
Galaxy J5 cases casesam
Cheap casesam
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

Genuine Buddy 125

Driver in front braked suddenly forcing me to do the same in wet conditions.

Injuries were bad road rash along the right side of my body, including my arm and leg, along with a bruised rib. A helmet was being worn at the time but no other protective gear.

No known damage aside from some cosmetic scuffs. I'm taking the bike in on Saturday for an oil change and will have the mechanic give it a good once-over.

I have two years of riding experience.

I have completed the Florida Motorcycle Safety Course

I am the owner of the scooter.

I was traveling at approximately 35 mph.

I was approximately one to one and a half miles from my home.

After riding my scooter every single day for the last two years, I had my first crash yesterday. It had begun to rain as I was leaving work and the roads were slick. A car in front of me slammed on his brakes, and I had to brake quickly to avoid hitting him and my my back wheel locked up. My bike slid out from underneath me to the left and I fell over it and then slid about fifteen to twenty feet, according to two folks who stopped to help. It's the oddest sensation to be sliding down the road. One minute you're on your bike and then the next minute your sliding uncontrollably across the blacktop, wondering if you're ever going to stop. My entire right side is eaten up with road-rash and pretty nasty cuts. It shredded the pants I was wearing and my short sleeve shirt. Remarkably, my Buddy 125 started right back up. Well, it took one or two tries, but then it ran fine. I'm taking it to the shop on Saturday for an oil change and will have them check it out them.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry to hear of the accident, LS. I even managed to lock the rear wheel of my 50cc 4T once, though I was more lucky than you.

Heal up quick (and stay further back, maybe?)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
mike932

Post by mike932 »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color?

125cc 1988 Yamaha Riva

2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?

Yes I was following the car in front of me too closely. The car stopped suddenly and I hit their rear bumper.

3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?

Yes. I now always leave a HUGE gap between me and car in front of me.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?

I was not injured because I managed to keep the bike upright. There was no damage to either vehicle. I was wearing a full face helmet, arm pads, knee pads, and boots, like I always do.

5. What was the damage to the scooter?

None.

6. Cost of repairs, if any?

None.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have?

This accident happened over year ago when I only had a couple months of scooter experience.

Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?

License.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?

No. I passed the California skills test on the first try.

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?

Yes.

10. How fast was the rider going?

I impacted at 15mph or so.

11. How far was the rider from home?

Five miles.
scooterdance

Post by scooterdance »

It’s been a while since I’ve lurked, never posted. I got my 150 back in November ’13 (terrible timing in mile high country) but due to my accident in June ’14 and then a medical issue resulting in doctor’s orders not to drive beginning in April ’15 my riding seasons have been short to say the least. I’ve only clocked a total of about 2,000 miles all in all. Finally got back in the saddle the other day and getting it dusted off from a long dormancy brought me back to the forum.

So here’s the deets on my crash...

Buddy 150 Italia

My fault, I was distracted by something off to my left (way too far left) in traffic, turned back and saw cars slammed on breaks. Luckily I just barely managed not to hit anyone else, but after slamming on my own breaks I did have a nasty collision with the pavement. This happened in the afternoon.

Certainly. Lesson learned never to take eyes off traffic. (Obvious enough.) Probably hang back a bit more too.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
I watched as my foot got caught up under the scooter, contorted in ways I never thought possible, and scraped the pavement for a dose of road rash and was so stunned by the sight I had no awareness of what was happening with my left arm. All I remember now is getting right up and finding my foot surprisingly usable while my arm gradually began throbbing. Ended up with a fractured wrist and nothing but scrapes and swelling on my foot. Later discovered a real beauty of a bruise on my thigh. I was wearing a helmet that went unscathed but only sneakers and jeans otherwise.

Mainly the headlamp area with a couple other minor scrapes.

Around $240 to replace the headlamp with cover and “beauty ring” (plastic chrome).

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
At that point I’d only had a few months of experience. My odometer read 1770 at the time. I had a license.

Yes, before buying.

9. Was the rider the scooter’s owner?
Yes.

Maybe about 35mph before hitting the breaks.

20 miles

ETA: I just noticed the date I joined the forum happened to be only 6 days before the crash. :shock:
Camperdog

Post by Camperdog »

Lavish_Squalor wrote:Genuine Buddy 125

Driver in front braked suddenly forcing me to do the same in wet conditions.

Injuries were bad road rash along the right side of my body, including my arm and leg, along with a bruised rib. A helmet was being worn at the time but no other protective gear.

No known damage aside from some cosmetic scuffs. I'm taking the bike in on Saturday for an oil change and will have the mechanic give it a good once-over.

I have two years of riding experience.

I have completed the Florida Motorcycle Safety Course

I am the owner of the scooter.

I was traveling at approximately 35 mph.

I was approximately one to one and a half miles from my home.

After riding my scooter every single day for the last two years, I had my first crash yesterday. It had begun to rain as I was leaving work and the roads were slick. A car in front of me slammed on his brakes, and I had to brake quickly to avoid hitting him and my my back wheel locked up. My bike slid out from underneath me to the left and I fell over it and then slid about fifteen to twenty feet, according to two folks who stopped to help. It's the oddest sensation to be sliding down the road. One minute you're on your bike and then the next minute your sliding uncontrollably across the blacktop, wondering if you're ever going to stop. My entire right side is eaten up with road-rash and pretty nasty cuts. It shredded the pants I was wearing and my short sleeve shirt. Remarkably, my Buddy 125 started right back up. Well, it took one or two tries, but then it ran fine. I'm taking it to the shop on Saturday for an oil change and will have them check it out them.
I don't remember where I read this, you want to have enough protection for 4 seconds of sliding. Wear/ buy stuff that will last for that length of time. It's better to let some artificial skin be erased than your own.
gtlover

I'm now the first kind of rider.

Post by gtlover »

Bought a 2007 Buddy 125 Italia back on July 22nd. Now that I have a job where I don't have to drive a cage every day, I figured I'd try riding the scoot when the Seattle weather is amenable (wife won't let me commute on her Blackjack).
So on the second day of this, (last Wednesday) I try a different route home. Missed a turn, wound up going down a residential street, and at an uncontrolled intersection, I locked up the tires stopping to avoid a bright red Mustang that definitely wasn't looking for me. Went down fast but the scoot never stopped running! Picked myself up, dusted myself off, and rode home. Got a bit of rash, but I've gotten worse riding a mountain bike. More deets below.

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? 2007 Buddy 125 Italia
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? I suppose I could have treated it as if it did have a stop sign, and while I was prepared to stop (levers covered) I wasn't ready to stop that fast. Evening commute in the summer, Seattle drivers are easily distracted by the mysterious fireball in the sky.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? See above. Not going down that street again by mistake.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? Minor rash on left forearm and right knee, moderate rash on left knee. Joe Rocket convertible jacket (outer shell off), Lucky Brand jeans (ironic), smartphone compatible work gloves, steel toe oxfords, modular helmet, sunglasses. And my riding pants were under the seat, doing me loads of good there.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? Cracked headlight ring, cracked upper handlebar cover, rashed mirror, brake lever, centerstand.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Going to pick up a parts scoot for $300 and hopefully that will be that.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither Learned to ride dirt bikes in '96, got my endorsement in '05.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes.
10. How fast was the rider going? 15-20 MPH
11. How far was the rider from home? 24 miles.

I look at the positives - no major damage to me or the scoot, I didn't hit or get hit by the car. After 11 years of riding on the street and thousands of miles, this was my first time going down. And as they say, there are only two kinds of riders.
125cclemon

Re: Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]c

Post by 125cclemon »

ericalm wrote:Quite a few crash reports for the still-fairly-new Buddy have been posted on the forum. This has made me kind of curious about who has crashed and what the circumstances and results have been. So, an informal, non-judgmental survey for those with crashed Buddies (or those who live with somone with a crashed Buddy), with my own answers in the following post.

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? 125cc buddy riot
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Rider error/city construction. Morning.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? Sort of, should have gone slower. Should not have touched my breaks.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? No protective gear, road rash on both arms and legs and side of head left side 30mph.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? Busted out head light and scratches
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Repaired myself for $350
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? It was at the 2500 mile mark
Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? M endorsement
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Owner
10. How fast was the rider going? 30mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 3 blocks

[EDIT: Many questions have been altered or added since the initial post, so some of the subsequent posts may not have answers to all of them.]
[EDIT: Questions updated on 2/13/11]
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

Had a bit of a spill on Friday...

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? Seafoam Buddy 50
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Partially rider error, partially weather conditions. I was riding in the middle of the lane, went to stop at a stop sign and my back tire slid in some oil, then the rest of my scoot slid out from under me, bounced off my leg, and then slid on its side through the intersection. This was mid-afternoon, around 3ish, if I remember right.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? I should probably not ride in the middle of the lane where all the oil drips out of cars. I've been more careful to ride either to the right or left side of the lane.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? I've got some bruises to my left leg where the Buddy bounced off of it when we went down, and some pulled muscles in my left leg as well. I was wearing a helmet, which thankfully wasn't needed - probably shouldn't have been wearing shorts, but given how I got my injuries, I probably still would've ended up bruised even with jeans instead of shorts.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? There was a fair bit of damage to the crash bar on the left side, and there's a small scratch on the front left side where the seafoam plastic meets the black plastic. Scraped up the end of my left brake handle, and also tore up the left side of my headlight bezel. I was able to ride away from the scene and to my local scooter shop, where my friendly shop tech checked out my scooter and said that aside from the cosmetic damage, my Buddy was fine.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Not sure yet, as the repairs are all cosmetic and aside from wrapping the scraped up crash bar in some fabric so I don't scrape my leg on it, I haven't done any work to fix the issues.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? I've only got a learner's permit for car-driving - but have been riding scooters for nearly 5 years now.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? No, I probably should do that at some point.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yup. First crash on this scooter, too, and I've owned it nearly 3 years.
10. How fast was the rider going? About 25 mph.
11. How far was the rider from home? Maybe two miles from home.

I consider myself VERY lucky I didn't end up hurt more than I did. However, it would've been nice if the car behind me at the stop sign actually, yanno, stopped to make sure I was okay instead of driving around me and my scoot after my poor scoot slid through the intersection. Jerk.
Benney

Re: Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Post by Benney »

Please Please wear a helmet! My crash happened on Aug 3 and today is my second day home from the hospital. I was traveling in the left lane on a 4 lane road (two lanes each dir.) getting ready to go into a left hand turn lane. The car that was on my right apparently slowed down to let a van (on the right) make a left hand turn into traffic. So as i passed this slowing car the van was right there and accelerated into me broadside and ran me over.

My injuries are 8 ribs broken in multiple places on the left side, 1 fractured vertebra, lacerated kidney, bruised lung, multiple bruises, burns, road rash and punctures. That said, my recovery is going very well and I hope to be back at work in a couple of weeks.

My helmet has a spot on it that shows an impact and It also has a section that was ground flat by the pavement. If that had been my head I don't thing I would be hear typing this. Please wear a helmet no matter what the speed. Also anything that is in your pocket, like a pen or a set of keys and make one heck of a puncture wound if you go down.

50 cc Roughhouse Titanium
No, the van accelerated into me. Time 3:40 afternoon, warm and sunny
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? Maybe but it would be better to avoid that area altogether.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? Yes, helmet, work boots, heavy cotton work pants, leather gloves, t-shirt.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? Totaled
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Scooter is totaled. I'm out 2500
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Twentyfive years riding MC license.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? 26 years ago
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 25mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 15 Miles

ericalm wrote:

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
[/b]
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Geez, Benny! So glad you survived it!! Best wishes for full and speedy recovery. Van driver have good insurance?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Sorry to hear! Godspeed on your healing.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Benney

Post by Benney »

Dage'sVew wrote:Geez, Benny! So glad you survived it!! Best wishes for full and speedy recovery. Van driver have good insurance?
Thanks for the kind thoughts. Healing is going well. Every day is better than the one before.

The person who hit me has pretty good insurance and I am fortunate enough to have good health insurance through my work. Most of the expenses should be covered.
Benney

Post by Benney »

RoaringTodd wrote:Sorry to hear! Godspeed on your healing.

Thanks so much!
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm glad you're feeling better, Benny, but wow, what a crash report! I hope the guy that hit you AND the guy that slowed to let him on the road stopped and waited for the police to show.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Time to post (again) in this thread. :(

2007 Italia, 161 cc, ATGATT

It was cold, but dry a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to ride. So, start her up, jump on and go...

I hit the roundabout that's within a mile of my house at top speed like I would in July.

Low sided her on the cold tires (Michelin S1).

My corduroy's were ruined, my hip was bruised, the left grip was shredded a bit and I was embarrassed. :oops:
skully93

Post by skully93 »

JettaKnight wrote:
My corduroy's were ruined, my hip was bruised, the left grip was shredded a bit and I was embarrassed. :oops:
Boo!

So hard not to ride when it's livable in the cold!
scooterbro

Post by scooterbro »

2016 Buddy 125

I was riding back at night after hanging out with a buddy in Montrose (Houston, TX) I took the back way to try to avoid drunk drivers and such because it was around 2AM. I was on this street called Fairway heading into Midtown and it curves around before you get there. I take the curve and next thing you know I go from pavement to straight dirt and rocks.
I think I was doomed from the start with the amount of rocks and the tiny 12 inch wheels of the scooter. Slipping was bound to happen and I came in around 25-30mph so I don't think it could have been avoided.
I was wearing a long sleeve Levis button down shirt, think burly woodsman but green. Long pants that are made out of denim and I was wearing my helmet.

Cracked headlight ring, broken break lever on the left side, scratched scooter side, my mirrors were okay. Helmet is done.
Parts for the essential repairs are probably around $175 break lever and exhaust (which I am upgrading :0)

Been riding for about 8 months now.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes.
10. How fast was the rider going? 20-30 MPH
11. How far was the rider from home? 4 miles.
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

2015 Buddy 125 in Glossy Titanium

No - vehicle changed lanes right in front of me. 5:30PM.

No - he changed lanes when I was pretty much next to him. Take a different route.

Yes - road rash on chin, hip, shin, and knees. Modular helmet, armored jacket, leather gloves, and hiking boots.

Scuffed body panels, bent left brake lever, and possible bent forks.

Estimated $1500, if forks included.

2.25 years. Licensed.

Yes.

Yes.

Unknown, but almost certainly over the speed limit.

2.2 miles, per Google Maps.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

This report isn't a "crash", but just wanted to report a boneheaded thing I did that could've gotten me hurt.

'64 Vespa 177. Teal/ white
Absolutely. 12:30 in the afternoon.
Absolutely, see below.
No, 3/4 helmet.
None
A little over a year, licensed.
No
Yes
<5 MPH
8 1/2 miles (straight line)

I was heading out from a friend's house across town to explore some towns I hadn't been to yet. Pulled over to confirm my directions on Google Maps and the gnats started dive- bombing me. I pulled the key out of the steering lock to open the glove box. On a '64 Vespa this locks the steering.
I removed my bottle of Absorbine Jr (miracle gnat repellant) from the glove box, checked my map, put it all back, locked the glovebox, but did not unlock the steering.
When I went to pull out, I nearly low-sided the bike because I could not steer right. Thankfully, there was no traffic coming and I stopped before crossing the center line.

Since then, I have made it a habit to sweep check my steering before pulling out. Some bikes are capable of having the key removed with the key in the lock position, but the steering won't actually lock until the steering is deflected far enough.

Boneheaded mistake, but something to be aware of...

Best,
-Slashy
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? 2007 Buddy 125 Color? Creme

2. Was the crash due to rider error? no, she had the right of way and the other driver was trying to beat her thru the intersection. What time of day did it occur? 1:32pm CST

3. Could the crash have been avoided? yes,if the other driver would have followed traffic laws. What will you do differently next time? I am not sure what could have been done differently, she was just under the speed limit of 30 mph (25 mph was the speed she was going) the other driver was just was in a hurry.

4. Was the rider injured? yes, road rash on LH of arm, leg, and face. Rh wrist What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? bell pit boss helmet and gloves.

5. What was the damage to the scooter? scraps on the LH side, steering stem tweeked, LH part of the handle bar bent,brake lever broken, headlamp, headlamp cowl, and front fender.

6. Cost of repairs, if any? we are thinking it is totaled.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? 5 years. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? yes, a minnesota motorcycle licence.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? nope

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? yes

10. How fast was the rider going? 25mph

11. How far was the rider from home?1.5 miles
Aerialviolin

Now what?

Post by Aerialviolin »

I know this thread is self-selecting, but has anyone here been through a devasting crash and decided it just wasn’t worth riding again?

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? 2012 Buddy 50 Italia

2. Was the crash due to rider error? No.

3. Could the crash have been avoided? Not by the rider

4. Was the rider injured? Very. Shattered clavicle, broken scapula, 11 ribs two places, compound fracture requiring surgery on R middle finger, lightly broken femur and fibula, bruised lung, significant road rash and stitches on knees, ankles, entire belly. Taken unconscious to ER, spent 8 days in hospital.

5. What was the damage to the scooter? Mainly smashed front end

6. Cost of repairs, if any? Totaled

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? 5 years without incident. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Car license only

7A. Protective gear? Helmet with face shield, otherwise street shoes and sweater.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? no

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? yes

10. How fast was the rider going? 5?

11. How far was the rider from home?7 miles

This post is about my husband, not me. I came to this thread looking for reassurance this was a freak thing, but it’s not helping much! We have loved this little green Buddy, even though we only put 4,000 miles on it in 5 years. My husband was riding in the far right lane of a three lane road (one way). He was first on a green light and a driver ran the red to T-bone him. He then hit the car in the middle lane, and then the one in the far left lane, his body coming to rest right before the tires of the fourth car.

He’s only been home a week and a half, and we are just beginning the hours on the phone and pounds of paperwork for various insurances and arraignment. The at fault driver in uninsured, and we only have $25,000 in Uninsured/underinsured coverage. As a musician, he will be out of work for at least 2months, maybe much more.

Who here has been through something like this as could still justify getting on a scooter? My husband may never even be able to think about it, but I miss it! Reading up on stats is only making it harder to justify.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

It's all a matter of risk and a person's ability to tolerate it. If your husband had been driving a semi, he probably would have walked away without a scratch. A car? Banged up, but not to the extent he was. Just crossing the street on foot? Most likely DOA.

So, there is no pat answer. I wiped out within the first few weeks of my owning a scooter, but was in no way injured to the degree your husband suffered. Still, it was probably the most frightened I have ever been in my adult life. I chose to continue riding for reasons that I cannot even articulate. Had the accident been as severe as the one experienced by your husband, I probably would have stopped, and no argument to the contrary would have changed my mind.

Personally, I don't think logical or emotional arguments (and by 'arguments' I mean discussions, reasoning, etc.) help very much. I think it is much better to just let people reach their own conclusions based upon their own tolerances. They'll usually reach the right answer for themselves. Also imagine the guilt if you (and I mean the rhetorical 'you') unintentionally convince someone to "get back on the horse" and they, God forbid, have another bad incident. In my own life, I do all the wrenching on my ride and accept the fact that I'm not a professional and might screw up. But I absolutely refuse to work on anyone else's. I just don't need the angst.
Aerialviolin

Post by Aerialviolin »

@Charlie55. Thanks so much for your reply. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone to do anything, and I hope it didn’t come across that way. I was more asking about riding again myself. He has said aloud that he’s not sure how he feels, and I don’t either. I was hoping some people would share their experiences (as you did). Thanks again.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Aerialviolin wrote:@Charlie55. Thanks so much for your reply. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone to do anything, and I hope it didn’t come across that way. I was more asking about riding again myself. He has said aloud that he’s not sure how he feels, and I don’t either. I was hoping some people would share their experiences (as you did). Thanks again.
No, you didn't come across that way at all.

A few suggestions going forward.....

- As time passes and you find yourself feeling the itch but still having reservations, give the MSF course a shot. I don't know if you can take it on a scooter in your area (I couldn't), but it'll give you a chance to saddle up in a controlled environment and learn a lot of useful stuff with a bunch of people who are probably just as apprehensive as you.

- While it probably would not have helped that much in the type of accident your husband had, you may want to consider doing a little more in terms of riding gear. It's strictly a personal choice of course, but I feel butt-naked without a helmet, armored jacket, gloves and boots.

- Also consider upping your insurance coverage. There are more uninsured, unlicensed schmucks driving (and riding) around than one would think. Until we get a law that allows you to beat them to death and sell their organs to cover your bills, you really have to (over) protect yourself.

Finally, please pass along the MB community's best wishes for a speedy and total recovery to your husband.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Aerialviolin wrote:@Charlie55. Thanks so much for your reply. I have no intention of trying to convince anyone to do anything, and I hope it didn’t come across that way. I was more asking about riding again myself. He has said aloud that he’s not sure how he feels, and I don’t either. I was hoping some people would share their experiences (as you did). Thanks again.
First, let me say that I'm extremely sorry to hear of your husband's accident and the extent and severity of his injuries. I hope he heals well and quickly and that the guilty party will make you whole as much as possible as soon as possible.

About the riding thing - all I can say is that I ride because I have a deep and abiding passion for motorbikes of all kinds and sizes. I've been that way since I was a little boy. If that passion ever cools, I will stop riding immediately because riding is dangerous and perhaps the least practical means of transportation ever devised by man.

If you all decide to ride again, we will be happy to welcome you back. If you don't, we won't judge because it's an aspect of riding with which we all struggle.

Again, most importantly, I wish your husband a full and speedy recovery.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I think it might help to share my justification for riding two wheels?

I have seen a friend paralyzed from just diving into a wave at the beach, my sister saw her best friend killed just by crossing the street, and heard first hand of a person severely injured from tripping over a dog.

To me, life is so fragile, so instantaneous in it's ability to totally change the course you were on. I could play it safe by not doing anything dangerous, however everything around us, controlled or not, has the ability to hurt or harm us. Our own bodies sometimes just goes haywire.

This justifies the risk for me. If not by two wheels, it'd probably be by something else.

I'm so sorry for your husband, and I pray his recovery is speedy.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I can't say for certain if I would have quit riding if my injuries were as bad as your husband's, but I think that decision is months away anyway. I hope he heals well and quickly, and I am so sorry he has to go through this.
aremyers

Crash Report 10/18/17

Post by aremyers »

Crashed two weeks ago on my morning commute...

Genuine Buddy 150, Pamplona
Partially. Approximately 9:00 am.
A woman turned right sharply in front of me after I had already started to turn behind her. I should never have started turning before she was completely clear of the intersection we were passing, even if she didn't have her turn signal on and had already passed most of the intersecting road.
Yes. I had helmet & armored jacket, but no leg protection to speak of besides boots - I was wearing a skirt and leggings and on my way to work. I should have been wearing leg protection, but since I wasn't, my knees were badly scraped and bruised.
None specifically - it was a low speed crash. It has been knocked over several times while parked by drivers who didn't see it, and this slightly worsened some looseness on the left side panel of the body.
N/A
First started riding fall 2009 - 8 years experience. I have a motorcycle license.
Yes.
Yes.
Approx 15-20 mph.
Four blocks. :cry:
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

No one's crashed this year?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

JettaKnight wrote:No one's crashed this year?
Yeah... I mean, it's just that we're all that good!
The Modern Buddy crowd is pretty experienced collection of veteran riders!!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Not me but my DH did! Last month.

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed?
2009 KYMCO Grand Vista 250cc

2. Was the crash due to rider error?
No. Young woman had a strong hankering for a Wendy burger and whipped a left turn across traffic to enter the lot. Husband was in the oncoming slow lane with no time to avoid. He braked but T-boned anyway.

3. Could the crash have been avoided?
If he'd left work a minute sooner or a minute later!!

4. Was the rider injured?
Separated shoulder, wrist fx, neck sprain. Bruises

So smashed it hurt to look at.

Totaled

8 years.

8. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Motorcycle license

9. Protective gear? FF helmet, armored jacket, armored overpants, gloves and hightops. His summer work "uniform" is shorts and a polo shirt so I was anal about the armor to and from work. Sooo glad I was, I think it's what kept him from really serious injury!

Yes, plus an advanced rider course.

Yes

30-35

7-8 miles

He called me from the ambulance to let me know. Not an experience either of us wants to repeat. You can do everything right but you can't make your self visible to a driver that just isn't looking!!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Dage'sVew wrote:Not me but my DH did! Last month.
Yikes. Always especially sobering when the accident involves an experienced rider. At least this is a success story for good riding gear.
WKYRIDER

Post by WKYRIDER »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Roughhouse Sport 50cc Color? Titanium
2. Was the crash due to rider error? 50/50 What time of day did it occur? 8AM
3. Could the crash have been avoided? Yes, trying to avoid NYC traffic jams i cut into a turn lane to go through an instersection. A Prius tried to avoid the traffic as well and decided to take a right turn just as i was going past. His bumper slammed into my rear and sent me flying. Got hit at the entrance of an intersection and got off the ground at the other side of the intersection. What will you do differently next time? Use correct lanes!
4. Was the rider injured? sore all over. nothing serious. What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? helmet and gloves. Helmet had a huge scratch on the back. Thankful i wear a helmet at all times.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? small scratches. nothing serious.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? New mirror.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? over 10 years. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Motorcycle
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? No, but scheduled next month.
10. How fast was the rider going? 25ish
11. How far was the rider from home? 3 blocks
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Certainly glad to hear that rider injury and bike damage were minor. Curious why you think getting hit while trying to use a turn lane to go straight through an intersection was 50% your fault. Okay, I'm being snarky, but surely you understand you own this one. Good to hear you are pointed toward the MSF course.

(Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement)
WKYRIDER

Post by WKYRIDER »

Dooglas wrote:Certainly glad to hear that rider injury and bike damage were minor. Curious why you think getting hit while trying to use a turn lane to go straight through an intersection was 50% your fault. Okay, I'm being snarky, but surely you understand you own this one. Good to hear you are pointed toward the MSF course.

(Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement)
50/50

i was in the turn lane going straight. he was in the go straight lane turning... 50/50
FourLegsGood

Post by FourLegsGood »

Crashed today (again!)

Stella's wheels got caught in the trolley tracks and threw me off. Road rash on my hand and a** (though I was wearing gloves so it could be a lot worse). Oh, and I hit my head against a parked car but the helmet did its job. Somehow my scoot walked away with no noticeable scratches. The brake lever is completely bent, however, and the flywheel cover looks like it got knocked a little. Hopefully no other scoot problems.

I think I maybe bruised my hip bone though as it hurts like hell to sit or lay down.
crcfailed

Post by crcfailed »

Took a minor tumble this afternoon in the parking lot at work. It was raining and there were wet fallen leaves all over the lot. Although I felt I was being careful, due to (probably) lack of experience I was not able to accurately anticipate the reaction of the scooter to the leaves and rain (and whatever mud & funk I could not see) on the blacktop. While navigating a rather obtuse turn, The bike slipped out from under me and landed on its right side. I landed on my left butt cheek. I think I am OK, but a little shaken and "what ifs" running through my mind now... the circumstances of the accident could have been a lot worse.

I felt more or less uninjured, and the bike was ridable, so I rode it home...very, very slowly.

Co-worker witnessed the whole thing and drove right past me without even stopping to ask if I was OK. After all the things I do for these people... What a piece of trash.

Buddy 50, Lavender
Probably. A little after 5pm.
Yes - apparently I shouldn't have been riding. Need a backup plan in case of poor conditions. Will speak with safety coordinator at work to find out if I can store my buddy indoors or in the shed in case I can't ride it home.
Landed on my left butt cheek which is quite sore right now, otherwise OK. Not too worried about it, other than possibly the ugly bruise to come. Wearing a helmet and thick layered winter clothing. Clothes undamaged, as I didn't slide at all; just landed bluntly on my butt.
Throttle was let wide open when the bike landed, and I promptly cut it with the killswitch and picked the bike up.
-Some scraping on the muffler.
-Mud on the right side silver footrest and on the colored panel just below it. Mud required a slightly abrasive sponge to remove, but cleaned up to reveal a single scratch on the footrest. Edge of the panel below it is a bit chewed up but not noticable.
Edit: Just found minor scraping on edge of right mirror.
As far as I can tell the only damage is only cosmetic... I'm really hoping that's the case, but I'm not sure what the effects could be of tipping the poor thing on its side and bumping the muffler.

None, I hope.
Riding since roughly June, I believe. I have a Class B endorsement.

No, none available locally...
Yes
Probably 5-15mph
One mile
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Aw man. Sorry to hear, especially the part about your co-worker driving right past without even asking if you were okay. That sucks.

You definitely need to have a Plan B when you ride for transportation (as opposed to riding for fun), if not just for icy conditions and the like. Wet leaves are dangerous to riders as you've discovered for yourself. I avoid them as much as I can and I never use the front brake on wet leaves. That's asking for a trip to the ER.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:Aw man. Sorry to hear, especially the part about your co-worker driving right past without even asking if you were okay. That sucks.
Really, that's cold. Glad you're OK.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Have to agree about the front brake - you didn't mention if you were braking at that time, but whenever there is gravel, wet leaves, or just a slippery condition, avoid the front brake. (experience speaking here).

Glad you and your buddy aren't that hurt. Experience is the best teacher.
crcfailed

Post by crcfailed »

RoaringTodd wrote:Have to agree about the front brake - you didn't mention if you were braking at that time, but whenever there is gravel, wet leaves, or just a slippery condition, avoid the front brake. (experience speaking here).

Glad you and your buddy aren't that hurt. Experience is the best teacher.
Good point about braking. Wish I could clarify; unfortunately I honestly can't remember if I was braking or how. It happened so quickly---the scoot just slid out from under my bottom and it's all a blur now. However I will say it's very possible that I was braking, and/or that I was doing it incorrectly.

I'll also add that since the tumble, the throttle has hiccuped a few times. I am not mechanically inclined, but if I had to guess what is going on, I'd say it's almost like there are bubbles in the fuel line or something. Hoping it will flush out and clear up on its own after running the tank down a bit.

Thanks guys for the kind thoughts.