Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks for the bump, Louie!

I remember reading stats (many years ago when I was in one of my "must get a scooter" fevers that did not result in my getting a scooter) regarding the number of MC accidents and riders without endorsements/class M... it was something like 76%. The effect of the MSF course is equally interesting.

And, yes... the class in $200 in CA. Subsidies would be nice.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote:Thanks for the bump, Louie!

I remember reading stats (many years ago when I was in one of my "must get a scooter" fevers that did not result in my getting a scooter) regarding the number of MC accidents and riders without endorsements/class M... it was something like 76%. The effect of the MSF course is equally interesting.

And, yes... the class in $200 in CA. Subsidies would be nice.
If paying $200 reduces your chances of crashing by 76%, I'd say that's one heck of a deal!
casey

Re: Who's Crashed?

Post by casey »

ericalm wrote:
1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
3. Could the crash have been avoided?
4. Was the rider injured?
5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neiher?
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
10. How fast was the rider going?
11. How far was the rider from home?
I wouldn't really call mine a "crash," but I'll give more data for the thread.

1. Pink 125
2. Yes. 7:45am.
3. Yes.
4. Minor. Helmet and jacket made a difference.
5. Minor scratching, brake lever bent, needs replaced.
6. $10. Waiting on brake lever, shouldn't be much.
7. Class M license.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10. Too fast, apparently, but not insanely so. Not sure the speed. Laid it down on a turn on wet brick.
11. Within 2 miles. Possibly a mile.
Every effort for progress, for enlightenment, for science, for religious, political, and economic liberty, emanates from the minority, and not from the mass. - Emma Goldman
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

casey wrote:I wouldn't really call mine a "crash," but I'll give more data for the thread.

1. Pink 125
Oh, that's definitely a crash!

Another pink Buddy goes down. :( Glad you and the Bud are relatively okay, though!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

I've only had my Buddy for 6 weeks now, I DID NOT want to post here.

Orange Buddy 50

No, it was a Moron Cager's fault, and the MP backed me up on that.
About 3ish in the afternoon, I'd have to look at the MP report to remember.

Only if the Moron Cager had obeyed the law and not tried to make a left turn in front of me, when I was going straight, had been at the intersection before him, AND HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY.

Bruise and scrape on right calf, walking funny, but no big deal really. I had snowboots and jeans and heavy socks on, it could have been worse.

Smashed windshield, broken trim around headlight, scrapes on right hand mirror bar, brake lever, down the right hand side, trunk, handlebar cover popped and it won't go back, trunk lid sits a little funny, but still latches, not sure if the front is tweaked or not, maybe it was rolling funny because hubby and I were both pushing differently when we pushed it home.

Don't know yet.

Regular driver's license, I do eventually want to get that nice little M on it though.

Still trying to find out when the next class is, here on base. It isn't mandatory for the 50cc, they're counted as motorized bicycles, but we we're huge safety nuts anyway. WE have insurance even though it isn't required. MP didn't even ask if I'd had the course or not.

Yes

Not sure, I was pulling away from a stopsign, but I was able to step off the bike when it went down. (And then had to fight the urge to hang onto it, you're not suppose to hang onto a bicycle when you go down either, but, with bikes, there are times when it is good to hang on. I gotta break this habit really quickly.)

Between a quarter and a half a mile.

I'm still cheesed about this, I really am. Not only that, I called a neighbor to give me a ride to the commissary, after I got home from the accident, and she almost got hit in the parkinglot at the commissary, and on our way back, we saw another near miss due to stupidity.

I'm going to go call the dealer and cry on him for a bit. :cry:

P.S. The black truck that caused the incident only paused long enough to see me get up and start waving my arms and screaming and cussing at him. He drove off after that. MPs now want his happy a&&.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Did you get the SOB's license plate number?

I took the motorcycle safety course at Fort Carson in 1984 so they'd let me register my Honda. We lived over on Kwajalein, and I worked in 3rd Bde, 4th ID; the Directorate of Plans, Training, and Mobilization; and then I commanded a tank company in 1st Bde, 4th ID, a short time just before we deployed as a company to Germany.

I'm sorry to hear that the cagers there at Fort Carson haven't gotten any smarter or more courteous since I was there last.

Stay safe.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Nope, afraid I didn't get the plate. I use to debate on putting a video camera on my bicycle. If I can get the scooter paid off (and fixed), I'll definitely be looking into something for the scooter. A small camera to stick on the front, radio signal to a recorder stashed in the seat maybe, or in the trunk. Maybe something powered by a small nicad. Have to do some research on it though.

Fort Carson has gone downhill in hte past several months. NutterButter (my youngest daughter 12yrs) and I were almost plowed down in a crosswalk a few months back. We had to step back a step to avoid being hit by the guy. He was still accelerating through the crosswalk, and beyond.

Fort Carson wasn't great in the beginning (out on town is pretty cool though, folks are nice enough) but now...It's like they're getting points for trying to hit folks who aren't driving something the size of a house. :shock:
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Catalyst,

Glad you're OK, it sounds like you'll recover with a little time.

Your Buddy, on the other hand, might be toast. Let us know, and good thing you're insured. Also good to have the MP on your side.

Take that MSF course ASAP. You'll be glad you did.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
EBee

Post by EBee »

talking about being close to home...this happened here in Cincinnati in December. These two guys were best friends, ending a day's ride. Terribly sad:

Motorcycle struck, driver killedBY MARGARET MCGURK |
A 44-year-old Cincinnati man died in Woodlawn Sunday afternoon when his motorcycle was struck from behind by another motorcycle.

Police said Jeffrey L. Williams was stopped in the 300 block of Riddle Road waiting to make a left turn when his 1999 Suzuki GSXR 1300 was hit by a 1998 Honda CVR 900RR driven by Johnny Stewart, 23, of Cincinnati.

Williams was pronounced dead at the scene. Stewart was taken to University Hospital by Aircare; he was listed in stable condition.

Both drivers were wearing helmets, police said.

Police do not believe drugs or alcohol were involved.
EBee

Post by EBee »

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the first guy was turning into his own driveway. His buddy misjudged the timing of his turn. This is just beyond words.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

EBee wrote:Oh, and I forgot to mention, the first guy was turning into his own driveway. His buddy misjudged the timing of his turn. This is just beyond words.
I remember seeing this in the local news when it happened.

I don't know the details, but it sure sounds like the guy who hit him was just plain riding too fast and using poor judgement. I am having a hard time envisioning how this went down otherwise. If they were riding together, and the first guy was stopped for a left turn, how do they collide in such a way that the one in front is killed, wearing a helmet? Unless the cause of death was just freaky, there has to be some crucial information missing from this story.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

What a lot of people don't know is that the smaller the vehicle, doesn't necessarily mean a lesser chance of injury/fatality.

Ever see someone get run over by a bicycle doing less than 5mph? I have, poor child nearly lost her eye. Her sister was riding my bike, in our yard, and wasn't able to stop when her little sister got in the way. Rolled right over her peddle came down on her face and cut her no more than 1/2 inch below her eye.

Another near miss I had on the Buddy the first time I took my daughter out on it. WE were stopped at the top of a hill (Hubby was behind us on his bicycle, he use to be a bike racer, he can keep up in the lower speed zones.), signals on (including hubby's hand signal), in a no passing zone, and I was getting starting to roll into my turn when we heard tires and a horn.

Woman tried to pass us, at the top of a hill, in a no passing zone, while we were making a left turn.

She was screaming and ranting like she had something to scream and rant about. I hadn't seen her because she was too far back.

doesn't help that that stretch of road "appears" unmarked (unmarked on base means 30mph), but in fact it was marked, quite a ways back, and only 20mph. Nobody does that speed on that road.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Catalyst, I'm glad you're relatively okeh! I hope the MPs catch the bum. I hope you're up and scootering about again real soon.
ModBud #442
Catalyst

Post by Catalyst »

Thanks everyone. I've read the entire thread, and I'm really glad that everyone here has come out of scrapes pretty much intact. 8)
BoneGirl

No crash for me

Post by BoneGirl »

Well, I am happy to report my pink Buddy has not crashed since I brought it home June 25th. 4,000 miles and still good to go. The plan is to keep the rubber side down. My husband is convinced I'm an accident waiting to happen, though, because of all the stares and strained necks trying to see the scooter going by. I just keep paying attention and hope for the best. My biggest threat so far has been deer. Three close calls and one actually stopped right at my front tire after jumping over a guardrail on my right. Scariest event yet.
brat

Post by brat »

You might want to think about getting a deer horn placed on your bike. A Friend of mine did the deer vs scooter thing. Deer died, vespa died, she was pretty hurt. She lives in an area with lots of deer. And if you are riding at dawn, dusk or night and seeing deer, you really should get a deer horn. They need no power and you should be able to find them at your local auto parts store.

Susan
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I come from a part of NJ where deer were the number one cause of motor vehicle accidents (and Lyme disease).

Deer horns are pretty controversial, not because of environmental concerns, but over their efficacy.

Assuming the deer can hear it, there is no way to predict how the deer will react to it. The deer has a self-preservation instinct that will make it try to avoid a threat, but it's instincts are not calibrated to avoiding a speeding car or scooter, as these are not natural predators for deer. The deer could run into the road right in front of you in it's efforts to get away, since it has no way to properly judge your speed or size.

The best thing to do if you see a deer in your path is slow down. Swerving probably doesn't help much either, since a deer rarely keeps a single direction for long.

I've personally had plenty of close calls and a couple of actual impacts with deer in a car, witnessed several more, and countless others by people I know well. I don't think the horns help anybody but the people who sell them.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
CRAZEDCOUNTRYREBEL

Post by CRAZEDCOUNTRYREBEL »

Im an insurance appraiser, im not joking when I say AT LEAST 50% of the der hits I see have those little plastic horns on em. My opinion is that those deer whistles are BOGUS.
03 METROPOLITAN & FUTURE BUDDY 125 OWNER
BoneGirl

deer horns

Post by BoneGirl »

I thought about a deer horn for about 30 seconds once. Like all other obstacles that come our way on the scooter, the best protection is just heightened awareness of everyhting around you. I know that when I ride to work in the mornings I just have to ride slower and keep my fingers close to the brakes. Same with dusk. Thanks to all for your input.
Elm Creek Smith

Deer horns? Dude, they're called antlers! Hey! Those might look cool on the Budd! :lol:

Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:Deer horns? Dude, they're called antlers! Hey! Those might look cool on the Budd! :lol:
They might make the pedestrians think twice before stepping out into the road in front of you as well.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

DUDE, GET TEXAN ON THEIR A55E5!!!

Sorry, it's Monday. I never could get the hang of Mondays.
ModBud #442
brat

Post by brat »

You might want to think about getting a deer horn placed on your bike. A Friend of mine did the deer vs scooter thing. Deer died, vespa died, she was pretty hurt. She lives in an area with lots of deer. And if you are riding at dawn, dusk or night and seeing deer, you really should get a deer horn. They need no power and you should be able to find them at your local auto parts store.

Susan
EBee

Post by EBee »

Everything I've read says those things don't work...and you can't predict what the reaction of the animal anyway...we have a LOT of deer here where I live and they behave a lot like squirrels in the road. Run back, run forward, stop dead in their tracks, run back again, bounce all over the place. Best you can do is try to avoid the time of day they are most active, and stay very alert.
Keys

Post by Keys »

It's a lot like using the horn to make 'em move. They look at you as if to say, "What the heck are you making that noise for??" We've been conditioned to know what the sound of a horn means...deer haven't. Same goes for those little deer sounders. Some will run the right way, some will go the wrong way and some will stand there and ask you why you make funny noises. We MUST have better conditioning programs for our wildlife...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Elm Creek Smith

Maybe a horn that sounds like the scream of a hunting mountain lion? I don't think that would confuse the deer!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lou76

Post by lou76 »

EBee wrote:Everything I've read says those things don't work...and you can't predict what the reaction of the animal anyway...we have a LOT of deer here where I live and they behave a lot like squirrels in the road. Run back, run forward, stop dead in their tracks, run back again, bounce all over the place. Best you can do is try to avoid the time of day they are most active, and stay very alert.
in my one nearmiss with a furry thing, i had a coyote run in front of me, less than 6ft, as i was tooling along at 55 on my way home... the scary thing to me, looking back on it, is that if i had done almost anything else but let go of the throttle, which i did, i seriously would have eaten it... i was in the middle of a slightly uphill sweeping RH turn, and any snap reaction could have set me off... i suppose that it is reassuring to know that i reacted properly, but it reaffirmed the neccessity of having that proper reaction ingrained...
brat

Post by brat »

1. 125/ Orange
2. Ride error, about 2pm
3. Sure it could have been avoided... not to ride the scooter
4. yes, Black, Blue and lots of other colors down my right side.
5. small amount. Front end needs to be aligned and not sure if the exhast is toast! No body damage other than minor sratches on my Case.
6. TBD
7. Licensed for over 15 years
8. Nope
9. Yep
10. about 20mph
11. about 6 miles by the way the crow flys, about 12 via streets

It has been pouring rain and I was riding down Market st in SF. I slipped on the tracks in the middle of the road. I slid on my back for about 10 to 15 feet. Bike was on my right ankle, But I was wearing full gear including a scooter skirt. After getting over the shakes and talking to the FD I rode the bike all the way home across town.
I hit my elbow, hip, knee and ankle on my right side and it is techno colored and swelling nicely. Should be fine other than than.

Susan
Keys

Post by Keys »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Susan. The downside; OW! The upside; a perfect excuse to get the new Prima exhaust system...

Glad you're okay and not seriously biffed.

--Keys 8)
Elm Creek Smith

I was hoping never to post in this thread as a subject, but...

Black 125.

I hate to say it, but yes. It happened on my way to work about 7:00 am.

Yes. I could have stayed home. I could have been more careful due to the sand left on the road after the snow and ice melted. The front wheel locked up in sand in the middle of the right turn only lane, and we went down on the right side, hard.

Bruises and muscle stiffness. My helmet never hit, and I'd like to thank Tour Master for their terrific jacket that I got from NewEnough.com. The armor in the shoulder and elbow prevented worse injuries, and the jacket only has a few spots of damage. Unfortunately, my jeans didn't have armor, and I banged my hip rather badly. The bruise is almost halfway down to my knee after 36 hours.

Scratched plastic.

Repairs? Nah!

Yes.

A long time ago.

Yes.

Maybe 5 mph, probably less.

Seven miles as the crow flies, eleven miles on the streets. I was five miles from work. I got to my feet, shakily, I'll admit, and no one stopped or even asked if I was okay. Three guys going to work in a pickup looked at me like, "Why'd you do that?" before leaving when the light turned. I hit the kill switch, lifted the scooter, and rolled it to the curb. Took me two tries to get it on the centerstand while I took stock of my condition and the scoot's. Since sitting on the curb feeling sorry for myself wouldn't have done any good, I fired the Budd up and rode to work.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
jperkins

Sorry

Post by jperkins »

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad your okay. I wrecked for a scond time on Monday. This time I was able to jump off as the bike was going down. The wreck hapened whilecutting across a parking lot. I hit a patch of sand left over by the city from the snow storms a couple weeks ago. The Buddy went down but no damage this time, the mirror came lose but that was about it.
Elm Creek Smith

Mine was yesterday. I rode because it was going to be nice, and we went down at East Admiral and 129th East Avenue. The wife says I need to wait until the city of Tulsa gets the sand out of the streets before I ride to work again.

We'll see.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lylee

Today

Post by lylee »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color? 125 Sunset

I don't think so. It started raining halfway to work. So I kept going. Some guy decides to suddenly turn left--no signal, brakes at last minute. I put on my brakes, and laid it down. Morning.

3. Could the crash have been avoided? I didn't really crash, just braked and slid. I should have checked the weather and made my husband drive me.

4. Was the rider injured? I've got three ouchies. One on my wrists (I haven't been wearing gloves since the weather got nice), one on my forearm--through the jacket, and one my ankle the size of a quarter. I'll scab well.

5. What was the damage to the Buddy? Landed on top of me. Tiny scape on top of headlight.

6. Cost of repairs, if any? None

7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Nope, had one in California ten years ago when I was trying to learn how to tdrive a motorcycle.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Previously took a MSF in California, but never rode regularly afterwards (moved). Been trying to find a full weekend when I could take one here in OKC.

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes

10. How fast was the rider going? 30 before breaking, about 2 feet a minute when I fell. I think I unbalanced it when I went to put my leg down.

11. How far was the rider from home? 1.5 miles. 5 miles is the furthest I've gone.

I was pretty shaky afterwards. Lots of super nice people stopped and asked if I was okay. I said yes, got up, and kept going on my way to work. I felt a little woozy as I rode away and when I got to work. I work at the hospital, so they cleaned up my cuts. I didn't even tear my skirt.

Forced myself to side home today.

L
JuliaGrace

Post by JuliaGrace »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color? 125, Black

2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Nah, I don't think so - but it was raining; occurred on my morning commute to work at about 8am. I choose to blame the "cages" that can't seem to hold onto their oil :wink:

3. Could the crash have been avoided? Not really a crash, but I slid out pretty hard on an oily spot in the road when I braked for the red light. I probably should have been going a BIT slower due to the rain, but this was a huge surprise anyway.

4. Was the rider injured? Nothing broken. I jumped right up, picked up the scoot and wheeled it up onto the sidewalk for inspection. I was wearing an armored jacket and a full-face helmet, but I didn't have the armor in my waterproof pants :( . This happened yesterday, so I'm really feeling it today and have the bruises (physical and mental) to show for it.

5. What was the damage to the Buddy? Nothing noticable (Spike's been laid down previously, so he already has a few scars) other than to the exhaust. But I'm replacing that anyway as soon as my Prima arrives.

6. Cost of repairs, if any? None, as I'm replacing the exhaust shortly anyway.

7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? I have the M1 Permit

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Not yet

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes

10. How fast was the rider going? Probably 15mph when I hit the brakes, but I don't want to know the speed at which I met the pavement

11. How far was the rider from home? About 5 miles

Surprisingly, I wasn't shaky or anything afterwards, and was able to complete my ride to work without difficulty. I guess it was the adrenaline that got me right up and on my way. I'm more tough than my size would indicate, so said the flower vendor on the corner who witnessed this. :)

I rode the bus today due to a mild case of whiplash. I should be back in business tomorrow.

- Julie
paige

Post by paige »

Dude ! Suckage! Hope you and Spike are good to go for Thursday. Take care.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

L & JG,

Glad you're both OK.

Wet pavement can be tricky.

Please forgive me, but may I suggest two things that might help in similar situations in the future?

Take the Basic Rider MSF right away. Walk in if it's full, that's how I got into my class.

Read Proficient Motorcycling (available at most public libraries)
http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/profi ... ycling.htm

I use the lessons I learned from both every time I ride.

I wasn't there on the bikes with you, but both of your stories sound like they could have been handled without drama after some training and experience. I am no expert, but these are common scenarios covered in the class and the book.

I'm not judging you, but as a lot of new owners start riding this spring I think it bears mention. Get trained, practice, be safe.

Again, glad you're both OK.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

This is a rather sobering thread! Thanks for sharing your stories and I'm glad that most people had minor accidents. I hope everyone recovers 100%!

I read this before leaving work, and I'm glad I did. The wind picked up today and I had a couple of situations that could have turned out differently if I hadn't been cautious. A dog on the sidewalk that couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to chase me. A car that didn't quite stop before the intersection because the driver was looking the opposite direction for traffic. Junk in the street from the wind - palm fronds, plastic bags (I HATE plastic bags!!!). And a car that was parked on the north side of the street that pulled a U turn 10 feet from the intersection just before I turned left onto that street.

If I had been thinking about work, instead of being really focused on riding, I might be writing a crash report instead of a "thank you". I admit that I have been less careful on my scoot because I had been riding my bicycle along that route for a few years. But the scoot is faster, and I ride closer to the center of the lane, so I need to be more aware. But this afternoon was just crazy!

Anyway, I did sweep up the sand that had been in front of my driveway. And I'll be paying a lot more attention on my way to and from work. So the crash stories have not been in vain.
jaded

Post by jaded »

Julie,
teh suck.
Hope you and Spike are ok.
Sorry y'all went down.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

orange 125 slid for 15 or 20 feet in vegas, but this wreck was WAY better. and wasn't on a buddy...
yes. i thought it was going to be a sweet jump...i was almost right... broad daylight...
yes. by not hitting that dune going so fast on a polaris 250
bruises on each thigh from hitting the handlebars on the way over them at the start of a complete forward flip. sore all over from landing on my back at the end of that flip, and then somehow scrambling out of the way as the quad imitated my flip...
emotional trauma that i was in mexico cheating on it with a fourwheeled hussy
i mounted a second headlight on the buddy, and she seemed to forgive me... i gave the guys who rented me the quad $60 bucks and they let me go...
yes. but it wasnt a motorcycle. and they dont care in mexico anyway...
what did you call me?
that is a wierd sentence if you start to think about it
purty fast...
3-4 hours? phx-rocky point? a long way?
lou76

Post by lou76 »

btw...
i dont condone anything that i have done, or that anyone else says that i have done, or anything that i might have done, given the chance...
st. patricks day in rocky point is probably a bad day to go riding quads for the first time ever...
its probably good that i dont drink...
and if you want to rent a scooter in rocky point, its schwinn or nothing...
and im pretty sure that a scooter doesnt do well in the dunes, anyway...
lylee

Post by lylee »

lobsterman wrote:L & JG,

Glad you're both OK.

Wet pavement can be tricky.

Please forgive me, but may I suggest two things that might help in similar situations in the future?

Take the Basic Rider MSF right away. Walk in if it's full, that's how I got into my class.

Read Proficient Motorcycling (available at most public libraries)
http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/profi ... ycling.htm

I use the lessons I learned from both every time I ride.

I wasn't there on the bikes with you, but both of your stories sound like they could have been handled without drama after some training and experience. I am no expert, but these are common scenarios covered in the class and the book.

I'm not judging you, but as a lot of new owners start riding this spring I think it bears mention. Get trained, practice, be safe.

Again, glad you're both OK.
Lobsterman,

I totally agree. I figured I was safe to delay taking the MSF course because I'd taken one years ago. I'm a third year medical student and usually work 6 days a week. The one 6 week period when I didn't, it was ice storms here in Oklahoma. So it has been a matter of scheduling as well.

I took yesterday off because I was sore and my back was making me pay for the fall. Today, I'm a bit stiff but otherwise okay.

I too keep having nightmares about the might-have-been. There is a post on here about a woman who smashed up her knee, doesn't have insurance.

So I second the encouragement that everyone should take the MSF and be really careful and wear a helmet.

L
Keys

Post by Keys »

Will you guys quit it!!?? Once is plenty!

--Keys 8)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

lylee wrote: I too keep having nightmares about the might-have-been. There is a post on here about a woman who smashed up her knee, doesn't have insurance.

So I second the encouragement that everyone should take the MSF and be really careful and wear a helmet.

L
And carry insurance.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Has your insurance rate increased after reporting your accident? If so, how much?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bump
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

ericalm wrote:

1. 125, black
2. No, aprox 8:15pm
3. No, cager made a left across my path of travel.
4. Yes, 2 broken teeth, broken right clavicle and shoulder blade, all eight right hand ribs, broken pelvis (3 places!), broken right femur, two collapsed lungs, and a smashed liver resulting in sever internal bleeding. I received a total of 60 units of blood products and several new metal inserts into my body.
5. Totaled.
6. none, see #5
7. Licensed
8. yes
9. yes
10. aprox 20-30 MPH
11. less than 1 mile

I am expected to make a full recovery and am doing well. The good news is is now I can get a Red one since it was not an option when I purchased mine. My wife continues to ride hers and I look forward to cruising through town with her again.
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pesqueeb wrote:I am expected to make a full recovery and am doing well. The good news is is now I can get a Red one since it was not an option when I purchased mine. My wife continues to ride hers and I look forward to cruising through town with her again.
Wow. That's definitely looking at the bright side!
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

I can think of a few other questions to add since there are new posts most likely to be added to this thread.

12. What were the medical costs?
13. What gear did you have on and do you think it helped minimize your injuries in this case?
14. What if anything would you do differently? (have more gear on, take the MSF course, get a licence, slowed down etc.)

This is such a great thread and I think it ought to be a sticky as it will always be relevant.
Last edited by scooterstud on Thu May 24, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

I've posted this before but I'll add it to this thread. I crashed my buddy the same day I bought it. I was still at the scooter shop test driving it in the alley. I'd gotten my learner's permit earlier in the week but I'd never been on anything with two wheels and an engine before. I didn't quite realize how little you have to twist the throttle to make it go. I pretty much turned the throttle all the way and crashed right into the ground. I was only wearing a helmet (stupid me left all my brand new gear at home.) I was scraped up pretty bad on my right side (hand, shoulder, arm, hip, knee, leg) and I was VERY bruised and sore (I was supposed to run a 10K the next morning and I had to skip it :cry: ) After I healed and got my scooter home, I immediately sprained my ankle. I put my foot down at a bad time and tipped the scooter over. I wouldn't count that as a crash though.

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color? 125 Creme
2. Was the crash due to rider error? YES!!! What time of day did it occur? Afternoon
3. Could the crash have been avoided? YES! (If I'd had more than 3 minutes of instruction)
4. Was the rider injured? Lots of big scrapes and bruises, mostly my pride
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? Lost of the plastic panels had to be replaced
6. Cost of repairs, if any? $98 (the super-nice guys at Motorsport Scooters did all the labor for free)
7. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neiher? Had a permit at the time but had never been on a motorcycle or scooter before (I have a full license now)
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Not at the time but I signed up for it later that day
10. How fast was the rider going? About 20 mph
11. How far was the rider from home? I was at the scooter shop (about 20 miles from home)
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I hate to actually have to post on this topic...

Buddy 125 - Series Italia
Friday 1600h
Rider error - panicked and locked brakes
Could have avoided my squeezing brakes slowly as I learned. :roll:

Injuries: scraped knees - wearing full gear.
Damage: Headset, headlight, left front panels, center stand, left brake lever and mirror.
Cost: TBD, insured

Driver has permit
Rider is the scooter's owner
Speed was 30 - 35 mph
5 miles from home