Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pineconeMN

Re: Fatality

Post by pineconeMN »

jlnoko wrote:Rider down, yesterday in St. Paul, MN. Don't know whether it was a Buddy, but the color fits (see photo in article - link below).

I'll be sending good thoughts to the deceased's loved ones.

And good vibes to all riders.

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/268454532.html
I'm a friend of Kim's, in fact I'm the one who was waiting for her to arrive at my house yesterday morning. We are all heartbroken. She was not a member here but was a huge scooter enthusiast.

Kim bought the Buddy 125 used this spring ("Mango Tango"). She was a new rider, took the BRC as soon as the snow melted and had been riding all over the Twin Cities this summer.

We don't know exactly what happened, but this was a stretch she took regularly, it was just a mile or so from her home.

Just want to put a face to this terrible tragedy.
jlnoko

Post by jlnoko »

pineconeMN: My deepest sympathies. From what I learned about your friend, she was one of the good ones.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to Kimberly's family and friends.
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

jrstone wrote:
skully93 wrote:Hey now, Camrys are good, reliable cars....

My heart goes out to everyone involved though, that is terrible no matter what the cause.
I have no doubt about that. But I tend to agree with Jeremy Clarkson. People who buy bland cars tend to not be very interested in driving and therefore are not as good at it. My experience with other motorists would appear to confirm this. That said, I shouldn't make a judgment like that. I've seen plenty of people on scooters who are no better.
In my experience, the more expensive the car, the more likely the driver is to be bad. At the other end of the spectrum, poorly maintained cars tend to have bad drivers, also. Better drivers tend to drive practical cars.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

My deepest sympathy for your loss (and anyone else who knew her).
TVB

Re: Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Post by TVB »

This isn't much of a "crash", but it's instructive, so I'll add it.

At not-yet-the-end of a very long day of riding (stopping for dinner after more than 200 miles), I made a left turn into the parking lot of a restaurant. In the middle of the turn, I noticed that the curb cut-outs weren't where I expected them to be. (The lot was all cement right up to the curb, so there were no patches of grass or other landmarks to make it obvious where the cut-outs started and stopped.) I turned harder to avoid hitting the curb, and the small camera bag I was carrying (on my lap) got in the way of my maneuvering. (I know this because it pushed the horn button.) I went down, cut the engine, got back up and pushed the bike out of the street. The bag was on my lap because with all the gear I was carrying, there was no room for it on the seat behind me.

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color?
Red Buddy 125
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Yes.
Around 5pm Central, 6pm Eastern (the time zone I'd started the day in).

3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Totally avoidable.
Almost certainly the result of rider fatigue, with the bag a contributing factor.
So: 1) Don't ride so far, at least not without more rest, 2) Keep any bags out of the space between me and the handlebars. (e.g. on seat behind me), and of course 3) Be more observant of where I'm going.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Injured base of thumb upon hitting pavement. 24 hours later, it still hurts but a lot less, so not serious.
Leather/mesh gloves, 3/4 helmet, mesh armored jacket, jeans, hiking boots.

5. What was the damage to the scooter?
A few scratches. Some of them might be old.*
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
None.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Over 5 years, over 25K miles.
Motorcycle license.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
No.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yes.
10. How fast was the rider going?
1-2mph?
11. How far was the rider from home?
Hundreds of miles. And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.

*This is a new bike, but it has the old bike's panels.
SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

From a Noob, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who bothered to contribute their stories in this thread. Safety is always a concern to me, but this thread gives me so many good pointers and so much to think about.

I have only been scooting for a month now, but I have a background as a road bike racer since 2002. This would put me squarely in the overconfident category. As a young bike racer, I once crashed my bicycle 7 times in one year. In fact, I earned the nickname "Crash Ferguson" for my efforts.

I've had broken bones, bruises, and more road rash than one human should ever have to endure. I should own stock in Tegaderm. However, as I've aged I've always gotten much smarter. Despite riding my bicycle 200 miles per week on average, I've had zero incidents now since 2007.

That said, a scooter and a road bike are NOT the same. The feel and handling are simply different, and tricks you may get away with on one medium will not suit you very well on the other.

As a lycra-clad dork on a bicycle, protection has never even been an option for me. However, after reading this thread I will most definitely be investing in knee and elbow protection while on my Buddy 150. Similarly, I am going to make sure that the GF, also a new sooterist, is similarly equipped. I am honestly surprised by just how prevalent crashing is in this community. I guess I never dreamed that it could be on par with cycling, but it sure seems that way.

Anyway, stay safe out there my new brethren, and keep the rubber side down.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

SF Pamplona wrote:From a Noob, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who bothered to contribute their stories in this thread. Safety is always a concern to me, but this thread gives me so many good pointers and so much to think about.
I'm no noob and I'm convinced I've learned more from this thread than anybody else. Thanks again to ericalm for the offspring of his brainstorm from all those years ago.
Last edited by jrsjr on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Imabassplayer

Post by Imabassplayer »

1. Genuine buddy 125. Blue
2. Just started raining on the way home from work. Thought I could fight the slick road like I do mud
3. Yeah. Not be stubborn and pull over for a few min
4. Yes.helmet.
5. Basically everything on left side was scratched, mirror broke, break fluid leaked out , headlight busted
6. Not fixing the plastic but if I did probably over $1000
7. 10 years. Nope
8. No but grew up on dirt bikes and atvs
9. My wife's
10. 30mph
11. One mile
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

So sorry for the scoot but, how are you?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

pineconeMN wrote:
jlnoko wrote:Rider down, yesterday in St. Paul, MN. Don't know whether it was a Buddy, but the color fits (see photo in article - link below).

I'm a friend of Kim's, in fact I'm the one who was waiting for her to arrive at my house yesterday morning. We are all heartbroken. She was not a member here but was a huge scooter enthusiast.

Kim bought the Buddy 125 used this spring ("Mango Tango"). She was a new rider, took the BRC as soon as the snow melted and had been riding all over the Twin Cities this summer.

We don't know exactly what happened, but this was a stretch she took regularly, it was just a mile or so from her home.

Thank you for posting. If possible please express condolences from the MB community.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

pineconeMN wrote:

Just saw this. God bless!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

*sigh*

Dammit.

Black Vespa GTS250

Yup. 'bout noon?

Yup. Not allow boredom and frustration let me get distracted.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Meh. Scuffed epidermis on left elbow, not even enough to draw blood. And possibly aggravated an already slightly tweaked left ankle. Wearing HJC SyMax III helmet, Corazzo Brezza jacket, Scorpion gloves, Shift shinguards and TCX X-Street boots.

Slightly scuffed fender, slightly scuffed "chrome" near left-side footboard. The mechanic at the local shop advises she's properly aligned.

UPDATE: brake lever and bar end also have a touch of road rash.

Looks like a touch-up paint kit would be $25.95 from Scooterwest if I can't stand the reminder/shame

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
3 years, 2.5 with the Vespa. 9810 miles with the Vespa. Full endorsement.

Yes, 3 years ago.

Yes.

Too fast, obviously. 20MPH?

Maybe six miles.

Traffic sucked, I got bored/frustrated/white-girl eyerolling
And then distracted. I should have kept in mind that when traffic sucks, it usually results in people having to randomly stop. Sedan in front of me stopped just as I got distracted. I braked, but I suspect I did not fully let off throttle-i've done that before in panic stops. I started evasive maneuvers, but oncoming traffic was too heavy, i didn't dare use the left lane as my last foot of stopping room. so BONK I hit the sedan. Lost balance, couldn't maintain footing, so i did a sort-of controlled fall over of both myself and the bike.

TL;DR-Distraction and a panic-stop issue i was already aware of and struggle with.
Last edited by ravenlore on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Crap, Raven. Glad you're ok though.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Raven, Ouch!

At least once it's been scratched, you can breathe easier about the dings and scrapes to come.

If it helps, my P still has a pranged fender from running out of road when a Buick panic-stopped and swerved when I tried to avoid them. It was powerful motivation to get grip pier tires and spend some time getting the cable-drum brakes to work better.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sorry to hear your scooter got banged up...glad to hear that you came out of it so well.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Thanks guys.

The soreness is really nothing compared to the burning shame. :oops:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ravenlore wrote:Thanks guys.

The soreness is really nothing compared to the burning shame. :oops:
There are 1616 posts in this thread...so you are not alone. What we do has an element of danger. Yes my post is back there somewhere. You were geared up and came out of it in good shape.

As much as we love them remember that it really is just a scooter. You did great!
www.teamscootertrash.com

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

az_slynch wrote:If it helps, my P still has a pranged fender from running out of road when a Buick panic-stopped and swerved when I tried to avoid them. It was powerful motivation to get grip pier tires and spend some time getting the cable-drum brakes to work better.
I hear 'dat. I've been switching back and forth between my Bud150 and the P200E, and they have VERY different braking power. That said, I've locked up the brakes on the P two or three times as a result of miscalculating stopping distances with the old drummies and having to jump hard on the brakes. I need to relax and hang back some more.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ravenlore wrote: Traffic sucked, I got bored/frustrated/white-girl eyerolling
And then distracted.
First off, I'm glad it was no worse. I hate it when this thread bumps up to the top. Hate it.

Second, that's quite an impressive list of gear you were wearing. Good for you!

Third, the distraction thing - I am, like, the world's most easily distracted person. I can't navigate because I can't even stay focused for a few minutes to follow street signs, simple stuff like that. If you (or anybody else) has thoughts about fighting distraction while riding, I would love to hear. GPS helps with the navigation, I know, but not with the distraction thing.

Again, glad to hear that you and your scooter weren't hurt any worse.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
Third, the distraction thing - I am, like, the world's most easily distracted person.
Hey...jrsjr...look over there!

HA HA....made ya look!
www.teamscootertrash.com

SF Pamplona

Post by SF Pamplona »

ravenlore wrote:*sigh*

Traffic sucked, I got bored/frustrated/white-girl eyerolling
And then distracted. I should have kept in mind that when traffic sucks, it usually results in people having to randomly stop. Sedan in front of me stopped just as I got distracted. I braked, but I suspect I did not fully let off throttle-i've done that before in panic stops. I started evasive maneuvers, but oncoming traffic was too heavy, i didn't dare use the left lane as my last foot of stopping room. so BONK I hit the sedan. Lost balance, couldn't maintain footing, so i did a sort-of controlled fall over of both myself and the bike.

TL;DR-Distraction and a panic-stop issue i was already aware of and struggle with.
As an avid road bike rider/racer, I've crashed A LOT on a bicycle, and am not looking forward at all to my first crash on scoots. Glad you are ok and that you were so prepared gear-wise. On a bicycle, all that lyrca does not represent comparable protection unfortunately. Tegaderm has been my best friend. I've had crashes so bad that I look like something from a horror movie, all my skin gone on half my body.

The initial shower post-crash is quite painful as you attempt to pick and scrub all the gravel out of your flesh. However, the worst part by far is the annoyance that comes with bleeding all over your sheets for two or three weeks. No matter how many towels you lay down, you always seem to miss them somehow by morning.
Godio13

Post by Godio13 »

ericalm wrote:
1. Buddy 50cc - Seafoam green
2. Rider error. Honestly and weirdly, this crash was the best thing that ever happened to me. I learned ALOT about the scooter and what I can and cannot do.(see full description below)
3. Yes - see below
4. Minor- Lost a tooth, busted chin and cheek, hands ripped apart, helmet front cracked.
5. Minor scrapes. Nothing cracked on the body.
6. None
7. At that time only three.
8. No
9. Yes
10. Maybe 20mph?
11. Thankfully less than a mile!

It was in October and the ground was a little wet in the AM, around 8ish. I was traveling down a busy main street in South Boston. This was just an ordinary morning for me, nothing special, which is where I first went wrong. The car in front of me slammed on his breaks because a car jetted out into the intersection. I swerved to avoid and landed hard, face first. Lost a tooth, busted chin and cheek, hands ripped apart, helmet front cracked.

Here is what I learned.
1. You are always too close to the car in front of you.
2. Stop only looking at the car in front of you and make sure you can also see the guy in front of him. If not, then you are TOO close.
3. We cannot stop short like a car
4. Front face shields on helmet saved my face. It lifted up a little from the impact of hitting the concrete but only enough to expose my mouth. Without it, I would have had a broken nose.
5. Gloves will really protect your hands, as will a jacket. If it was summer, I would have been wearing a tank top - HELL no, not any more. Always something on my arms. Now I wear a textile jacket.

It really changed the way that I drive and the way I see other cars on the road.

SIDE NOTE- If you are passing a car on his right because he is making a left, make sure that someone in the opposite direction isn't making a left, as well. They wont see you creep up next to the car in front and that's an accident waiting to happen.
Attachments
About two days later
About two days later
155.JPG (126.95 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad no great harm was done. Sounds like you have drawn some good conclusions from your experiences. For what it's worth, here is the helmet I wear.
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
Deweybeachbum

Post by Deweybeachbum »

ericalm wrote:Quite a few crash reports for the still-fairly-new Buddy have been posted on the forum. This has made me kind of curious about who has crashed and what the circumstances and results have been. So, an informal, non-judgmental survey for those with crashed Buddies (or those who live with somone with a crashed Buddy), with my own answers in the following post.

[EDIT: Many questions have been altered or added since the initial post, so some of the subsequent posts may not have answers to all of them.]
[EDIT: Questions updated on 2/13/11]
1. Buddy 50 white
2. crash occured when scoot fell out of the back of a pick up truck, mid afternoon
3. crash could have been avoided if the roads in Delaware were better
4. scooter didnt have a ridder on it when it fell
5. cracked some of the body molding, and one of the deadlight lenses broke
6. lenses were a few bucks and i didnt replace the body piece
7. starting riding at 16 i am now 19, planning on getting a motorcycle permit in the spring,
8. no
9. yes
10. truck was going about 20 MPH
11. about 10 minutes from home
TVB

Post by TVB »

Deweybeachbum wrote:2. crash occured when scoot fell out of the back of a pick up truck, mid afternoon
:(
3. crash could have been avoided if the roads in Delaware were better
Until they fix that, tying down the scoot more securely might also work. :wink:
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Update on my mishap:

Adjuster's estimate was $267. That's replacing scuffed front fender, scuffed plastichrome edging, scuffed bar end and scuffed brake lever.

I'm torn. Part of me thinks I should keep her pristine, and part of me thinks the scrapes we take in life make us who we are.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ravenlore wrote:Update on my mishap:

Adjuster's estimate was $267. That's replacing scuffed front fender, scuffed plastichrome edging, scuffed bar end and scuffed brake lever.

I'm torn. Part of me thinks I should keep her pristine, and part of me thinks the scrapes we take in life make us who we are.
That's pretty affordable, IMHO. I've replaced a few bits on my Yager when she was knocked over off the sidestand in a gravel lot and she got a new front fender after a friend dinged it. I kept the old fender to repair and re-spray if I ever decide to change her color.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you do go through with the claim, consider the possibility that the insurance company might ding you at renewal time.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ravenlore wrote:I... and part of me thinks the scrapes we take in life make us who we are.
And all of me agrees. Plus, as the others have noted, Insurance Companies really do suck as most everybody on every forum says and in direct opposition to what the insurance companies say about themselves in televisions ads. :roll:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

A local here just applied bandaids to her scooter's scrapes and scuffs. And by that, I mean an actual "adhesive bandage", not "temporary fix". Badge of honor, I suppose.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

charlie55 wrote:

If you do go through with the claim, consider the possibility that the insurance company might ding you at renewal time.

Does a claim actually happen if you don't hit your deductible?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

At that point its not worth making a claim, because it potentially dings your record, and they don't pay out.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

skully93 wrote:At that point its not worth making a claim, because it potentially dings your record, and they don't pay out.
If they enter it into their computer system, you can be SURE that they will hold it against you. I'm walking the fine line between sounding negative and being brutally honest here. Trust me on this one, because I know what I'm talking about. :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jrsjr wrote:
skully93 wrote:At that point its not worth making a claim, because it potentially dings your record, and they don't pay out.
If they enter it into their computer system, you can be SURE that they will hold it against you. I'm walking the fine line between sounding negative and being brutally honest here. Trust me on this one, because I know what I'm talking about. :wink:
Now that I think of it, you're absolutely right. Even a police incident report can affect things. I dumped my Blur back in '08 - no other driver involved, no contact made with another vehicle, no major injury, no insurance claim. My scooter insurance never got dinged, but the incident popped up 3 years later when I was taking out an umbrella policy on my house. It was the police report that raised the red flag. Fortunately, it didn't affect anything since it was, thankfully, a one-off event. So, I guess a lot of it has to do with your particular insurance company and how anal their rating policies are.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

For $267, I wouldn't even broach the incident with your insurer. Save your pesos and get it done out of pocket.

My mom pranged up her car while backing into her garage on a dark, rainy night. The bulb on the opener motor had burnt out, which made it infinitely easier to mess up. I talked to a friend who works at a local dealership and he introduced me to the body shop guys. Long story short, I had the car repaired sans insurance involvement with cash. One panel undented and two panels re-sprayed for three Benjamins; it was less than the deductible and I saw no reason for them to jack up her rate over something so trivial.

Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

2009 Buddy Pamplona 150

Most definitely. 6:00 PM.

I think so, it all happened pretty fast. I either panicked and locked up my front wheel, or got stuck on a storm drain. Short answer for lesson learned is to not drive down that alley again. Long answer is to get more experience so that there is no panic.

I might have a fracture of my wrist, road rash on left elbow and right knee. I had a full-face helmet, leather jacket (armored coat is in shipment), thick leather work boots, and long (unarmored) pants.

Scuffs on the side, nothing much more than a battle scar.

None really, cosmetic all the way.

Four freakin days. Yeah. I have my temporary endorsement.

No. My course is in three weeks.

Yes.

5 mph.

1.5 miles

I feel like an idiot. I headed out last night, new license plate affixed to my new (to me) scoot. I headed out onto some back roads of Southwestern Ohio, staying near town. I wanted to get a feel for how the scooter handled at speeds greater than 20.

I was not hot-dogging, obeying the speed limit, and having a great time. Did my first fill up ($1.41) and headed home, heading through the downtown area - about eight blocks of central business district.

I wandered around a bit, because that's what you do on a scooter, right?

Oh look, this alley connects to that parking lot, I never knew that - neat!

I don't like the look of that storm drain...

I'm on my chest - how did I get there?

The alley had a serious dip into the drain and as best as I can figure, I either locked up the front, caught the front in the drain, or a mixture of the two.

Shame hit far worse than any injury and I got the scoot up, started it, and drove very carefully home without incident.

Guess I have a lot to learn.

Four freakin' days...
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

On the plus side, you got your first crash out of the way! No more worrying about when it's going to happen...
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Storm drains can be scary S-O-Bs, it is possible that it was wet and your front wheel just slid on the smooth wet metal. That combined with the "dip into the drain" which transferred slight bit more of your weight to the front wheel created 'the perfect storm' so to speak. Lesson learned, no reason to completely avoid the area, just exercise more caution in said situations.
Your MSF course will teach you ooodles of such tid-bits yet nothing is better than real world expierence.

Glad to hear you were not seriously hurt.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Oh no, Wingscribe. I'm sorry this happened right away to put a damper on your excitement about your new scooter. On the other hand, this was a direct result of inexperience and getting ahead of your plans for the MSF Basic Course, etc. Time to dial back the enthusiasm a bit, and think over what you learned here about safe riding in the future. Accidents aren't inevitable.

I always dread seeing all the posts on this thread that appear every Spring and early Summer. Many new riders revved up about their new rides, but somewhat discouraged when they end up with a bad case of gravel rash or worse. And here I am like old Ishmael, preaching safety gear, MSF courses, taking it easy, and all that other dull stuff. :wink:
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Hyosung MS3-250 250cc's Black

Unknown, Noonish

Yes, Make better choices

Yes, Bilt Helmet, Gloves & Boots, Joe Rocket Jacket, Extra thick Jeans, Heat-out base layer.

Big freaking holes where there used to be plastic :(

Still to be seen, Taking it in Wednesday for the Insurance to inspect it at the shop.

Riding since 2008, Licensed.

Not yet!

Yup!

5MPH? The group was slowing down to turn into a gas station.

50 Miles?

During our clubs 'Fallen Rider Memorial Ride' ride I fell down :(

Howard was leading the group, I was in the middle and Lori was in the rear. Howard was pulling the group into the gas stop when I decided to break out of the pack to go directly to the restroom and the next thing I know I'm on the ground with the bike on top of me still running.

I was able to use my non trapped leg/foot to turn off the bike which was nice, And then a mob of bikers descended on me and helped get the bike off me and me off the ground.

I honestly don't fully remember what happened, I think the rider behind me may have followed me as I broke off and then 'Crossed my T' when they realized I Wasn't headed for the gas pumps with the rest of the group.

My plastics are trashed, You can see through the leg shield and the floor is missing big chunks.
Syd

Post by Syd »

So sorry, John. That sucks big time. Hope you're not hurt too bad.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Syd wrote:So sorry, John. That sucks big time. Hope you're not hurt too bad.
Thanks Syd!

I'm bruised up and I've got some strained tendon thing in my foot but otherwise OK.

Gear works!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

JohnKiniston wrote:
Syd wrote:So sorry, John. That sucks big time. Hope you're not hurt too bad.
Thanks Syd!

I'm bruised up and I've got some strained tendon thing in my foot but otherwise OK.

Gear works!
Glad to hear. there was also something else I liked in your OP.
JohnKiniston wrote:And then a mob of bikers descended on me and helped get the bike off me and me off the ground.
All of us should be so lucky to have a mob of folks come to the rescue when we bite the pavement.

Seriously, I'm glad to hear you are okay. I hope your scooter can be repaired.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

jrsjr wrote: Glad to hear. there was also something else I liked in your OP.
JohnKiniston wrote:And then a mob of bikers descended on me and helped get the bike off me and me off the ground.
All of us should be so lucky to have a mob of folks come to the rescue when we bite the pavement.

There is something to be said about the brotherhood of two wheel riders, I know I stop every time I see a bike on the side of the road no matter what kind it is, If anything I've got a cell phone and usually have water and a minor first aid kit to offer.

Two of the people who helped me up claimed to be Chaplains(!?!?!) thankfully I didn't need their services.

I take the bike to the dealer tomorrow to find out what can be done.
Syd

Post by Syd »

JohnKiniston wrote:
jrsjr wrote: Glad to hear. there was also something else I liked in your OP.

There is something to be said about the brotherhood of two wheel riders, I know I stop every time I see a bike on the side of the road no matter what kind it is, If anything I've got a cell phone and usually have water and a minor first aid kit to offer.

Two of the people who helped me up claimed to be Chaplains(!?!?!) thankfully I didn't need their services.

I take the bike to the dealer tomorrow to find out what can be done.
Is it still rideable? Seriously, we need pics!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:Is it still rideable? Seriously, we need pics!
It's rideable. I took a quick spin on it this evening. Chassis and suspension seem OK. Outer body in the left side is scuffed but complete. The wierd bit is that the inner legshield has large bits of plastic blown out of it on the left side. There's a big hole between the front fairing and the glovebox door, allowing the rider to see the front wheel. Several other chunks of inner legshield and floorboard are missing on the left side too.
Attachments
Note damage to left side leg shield and floorboard.
Note damage to left side leg shield and floorboard.
MS3_Damage.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
Last edited by az_slynch on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

pisser!

I hope the injuries are easily shrugged off and it can be repaired fast.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Note the bonus ventilation in the second photo.

The floor between the two holes is super sketchy feeling, Like it's gonna break off.
Syd

Post by Syd »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow, glad you're OK.