HELP! oil on back tire rim.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JoeyPounds

HELP! oil on back tire rim.

Post by JoeyPounds »

Today I noticed a lot of I believe gear oil on my back rim. I have not noticed any difference in performance, but there really was a significant amount.
I did my own service so is it possible I put too much oil in and it is leaching out? I will go ahead and check and drain all gear oil and refill. H as this happened to anyone else? Is it a major problem should I take my buddy in?
docutech

Post by docutech »

I had the same problem. After my first service I noticed a LOT of gear oil leaking. The dealer replaced the faulty drain plug washer and everything is okee dokie at the moment.
trevo_man

Post by trevo_man »

Nothing to worry about. This has happened to many of us (including myself). Refill the gear oil. Make SURE you only put in 80ml. Much more than that and it will leak out on your rim.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I've had 2 oil leaks in 18 months. The first was a blown front seal caused by an overfilled gear oil. 2nd leak was from the oil drain plug washer-ring.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
JoeyPounds

Post by JoeyPounds »

Drained old gear oil, It was really clean, so I used a turkey baster to suck up oil and refill with about 3 ounces(90cc). the drain pan still had about 3-4 ounces left(whoops). I guess I over filled. hope no permanent damage.
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

I had the same problem after 1st service. The Vespa dealer must have over filled it. This is good to know it's not a big deal.
Scooting is ZEN....
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Yup, same thing happened to me. The dealer overfilled it by about 50cc's... such a mess.

I drained it and put in the proper amount and has leaked nary a drop.
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
spinbud

oil leak

Post by spinbud »

clean it up completely 'cause you'll have drum brake dust on your rim stick to the residual gear oil from previous leak and think its' still leaking.