Bugs in face - Myth?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hippybuddy

Bugs in face - Myth?

Post by hippybuddy »

I am currently debating the buddy that I am going to purchase and have been reading a lot of everyone's stories and information here, and had a couple questions.
Do you remember that Scrubs episode where Turk buys scooters for him, Carla and JT? And Carla finally gets mad enough at Turk telling him he had to get a real car because she "was tired of bugs in her face and hair."
Haha well I was wondering how any of you feel on the issue?

I am currently deciding on 125 vs. 150 and have read a lot but would like a little more info. I really like the look of the International model and it only comes in 50cc or 150cc. If I was to get a Genuine I would go for the 125. Just wondering if the extra power and sweet look would be worth the money in the end.

Thanks for any info!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

I'll let others give feedback about what they think regarding the different scooters, but I will confirm that this is no myth. :rofl:
~Celebrate~
hippybuddy

Post by hippybuddy »

Would you say getting a helmet with a shield is worth it?
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Only if you like to see out of both eyes and get enough protein in your diet. :wink:

Seriously, you will find all kinds of personal preferences out there and I have tried them all, but I will say yes, a shield is not only worth it but a safety essential. Some people may ride with just glasses, sunglasses, or goggles, but both I and my husband have been whapped in our faceshields with gigantuan bugs. I think he has told me he has even had the bug-on-bare-face when he didn't have a shield or have it down. :shock:

Once you get really hit by a bug you will know what I am saying. In my opinion, the startle factor, sting, and/or smooshy mess are all obstacles to a safe ride. Even a tiny gnat in the eye is a real distraction, let alone a junebug in the middle of your forehead. :?
~Celebrate~
Davek

Post by Davek »

Yeah definitely.. a full-face helmet ideally, but not just to protect from bugs.
armacham

Post by armacham »

i hit a hornet going 50 mph the first week I had my scooter. Were it not for my full face helmet, i'd be an unhappy camper.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i've had smooshed mosquitoes and love bugs on my chest one night after riding home from friends house
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

r0sa wrote:i've had smooshed mosquitoes and love bugs on my chest one night after riding home from friends house
What's a love bug?
~Celebrate~
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

runtotorun121 wrote:What's a love bug?
A juicy bug that likes to fly in giant swarms in the deep south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Giant palmetto bugs, beetles, bees, flying squirrels, june bugs. All are very real critters. The easiest to avoid is the flying squirrel.

They might be unpleasant but the real worry should be rocks. Yes, some get pretty big. Not the teeny tiny little pieces but those big mamma jammas like in driveways. That car or truck in front of you chunks them out from time to time. There should be a law that only nerf rocks are allowed on roads and driveways.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

k1dude wrote:
runtotorun121 wrote:What's a love bug?
A juicy bug that likes to fly in giant swarms in the deep south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug
They drift along in pairs, mating as they go. Nasty little guys.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

NSR, but love bugs are super annoying. Not only do they fly in swarms, but they seem to not go anywhere and just float there to get hit.

Growing up on MS I can remember learning how to drive on country roads and killing like thousands on a two mile stretch. You only know your killing them from the white streaks they leave on your windshield. It felt like I was going to warp speed on star wars or something.
V4V

Post by V4V »

DennisD wrote:Not the teeny tiny little pieces but those big mamma jammas like in driveways.
:rofl:
This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

DennisD wrote:The easiest to avoid is the flying squirrel.
That is, until they're liquored up.
Xena

Post by Xena »

Eeks Love Bugs and squirrels?

And I complain about the random little bug!
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I have to agree. Bugs = OUCH at speed.

In the chest, it stings, but in the face, well, it freaking hurts.

junebugs/japanese beetles, ARGH, those bast-ds hurt the worst. Seriously, get yourself a helmet with a face shield.

It will stop bugs, rocks, dust, etc from hitting you in the face. And that is a good thing at 40+ mph.
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
Xena

Post by Xena »

i got hit by a bug on my way to work about a week or so ago and it left a DENT in my chin :(
rajron

Post by rajron »

With a 125cc you can almost dodge the bugs; with a 150cc it will be tougher to dodge them as they come.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Yes, I get bug guts on my FF helmet sometimes, usually the bugs hit me and keep flying, but once in a while, there is the big one that hits and dies, leaving some guts on your visor.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I've only had to stop once and clean my visor off after a particularly nasty and gooey bug hit me. If it had not of been at night, I'd have taken a picture, because the "smear" left looked a lot like Elvis I kid you not. ;D
Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

hippybuddy wrote:Would you say getting a helmet with a shield is worth it?
No matter whether it's a full face helmet or a 3/4 style pilot helmet, eye and face protection is an absolute MUST! (In NJ you cannot pass a PTW state inspection without it!) I prefer a 3/4 with a full coverage plexi face shield; others like full face helmets..

Riding with an open, uncovered and unprotected face is extremely foolish and dangerous. Riders who ride with only shorty helmets should wear at least goggles or glasses to protect their eyes even if their bikes have windshields. -And even then they'll get painful bug smacks in the mouth and nose area; it's like getting hit in the face with a (sometimes) softer rock!!! :shock: (And don't even mention flying rocks flipped from truck tires, and insane birds!)

And I see many FF helmet wearers (who might put down riding with a 3/4 with a full shield?) riding with their face shields flipped open!! -As if this were safer from a flying shite attack than a 3/4 with a lowered shield? -Sheeeesh!! :twisted:

Whatever... :wink: Just protect your eyes and face; I can promise you that you'll regret it if you don't! :cry:
Last edited by Drumwoulf on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
docutech

Post by docutech »

It took exactly one time for me to experience the feeling of a bug hitting my face. That afternoon I purchased a full face helmet. Best thing I ever done.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I get hit in the face shield at least once or twice a week by a sizable bug. It's startling, especially if it's right at my eyes. And every time I just sigh in relief that I'm wearing a proper helmet. The other thing about going full face is that it keeps even just the road grit out of my eyes. Rocks and bugs are bad news, but a piece of grit or dirt churned up by a car that gets in your eyes is really uncomfortable and pretty hazardous also. I've found that I've got to keep my visor shut whenever I'm in motion or I inevitably end up with grit in my eyes.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
n00b4life

n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

Never.

Hmm.

Maybe there is a speed where the bugs become a problem and below that speed, they ride the air current around you. I never have bug issues on the bicycle, either. On the motorcycles, cleaning the helmet was a daily requirement, but I was going 80-90 mph or more. Now, I am going 30-35.

1/2 helmet and motorcycle glasses on the scooter. 1/3 helmet (I guess) and sunglasses on the bicycle. Shoei RF-1000 on the motorcycles.
Last edited by n00b4life on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

NathanielSalzman wrote:It's startling, especially if it's right at my eyes
I know what you mean! You almost try to duck around it as you see it coming! And for a split second, you wonder if it's a bug or a bird.

Very startling fosho.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Funny this has come up today. Just got back from riding around and got smacked in the cheek by a bug that went down into my jacket :? . It felt like I got hit by a small rock.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

n00b4life wrote:Never.

Now, I am going 30-35.
You have very nice bugs in your part of Texas. . .or maybe they are just real sloooooowwwww down there in the south because the bugs up here love to smoosh and goosh at 30-35mph. :shock: :wink:
~Celebrate~
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

runtotorun121 wrote: You have very nice bugs in your part of Texas...
I have no idea. I hadn't really thought about it until now. I was riding through town with my wife the other day and we got behind a cicada, which flew along in front of us for about 1/4 mile. That was interesting.

http://www.texasento.net/Cicada3.htm

The things you see when you get out of the cage.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

n00b4life wrote:
runtotorun121 wrote: You have very nice bugs in your part of Texas...
I have no idea. I hadn't really thought about it until now. I was riding through town with my wife the other day and we got behind a cicada, which flew along in front of us for about 1/4 mile. That was interesting.

http://www.texasento.net/Cicada3.htm

The things you see when you get out of the cage.
Oh, thanks for the link. I am wondering how those are different than the ones I am use to in Oklahoma? I think they are about the same, but maybe not that vibrant green.

What a great experience to be behind a cicada! :) Were you riding in formation? :wink: That is the exact thing I love the best about riding - being able to be a experience nature and the things around me in a more full way than I experience them in a car. Always makes me smile. :)
~Celebrate~
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

spring and early summer are bad for this
formerly known as robonz23

www.cannonballbuddy.com
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

I've noticed too on particularly quiet back roads with little lighting they are even worse.

When I ride back from my friends, I take 33rd West Avenue and in the southern parts, it's a bug fiesta at night. I have to clean my visor and scoot off every time or it's a bug graveyard.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

No, the cicada was doing it's own thing. It was definitely interesting to watch.

We've had similar experiences with birds and deer, too. You just have to be careful with the deer, because they'll be a few scooter-lengths up on the right and suddenly shoot across the road in front of you, to the woods on the left. Luckily, we're usually the only vehicles on the roads we ride.

We were riding down a street we've been down hundreds of times before. We got to a stop sign and my wife commented "Did you realize that you can see the entire city from their back yards?"

It wasn't a part of town where you would expect a view like that and neither of us had ever noticed before.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bugs?! You should be more worried about dirt, pebbles and rocks!

But, yeah, the bugs can hurt, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I took a bee head on at 70mph once. It hit me right below my eye (open faced helmet). The pain was excruciating, I instantly could not see out of the eye since it was watering like crazy and quickly swelling.

It was all I could do to not crash and get to the side of the road quickly. Had it hit me square in the eyeball I'm not sure I would have any depth perception today.
treblecrush

Post by treblecrush »

ericalm wrote:Bugs?! You should be more worried about dirt, pebbles and rocks!

ok, someone link to the ''attacked by nature'' post from a week or so ago---my ear is still a little itchy from the bee in my ear flap incident :)
MPA

Post by MPA »

The night of July 5th I went to watch fireworks and rode home through some farm area - I got PELTED with bugs. Made me wish I had a jacket on since I ended up w/ alot of dead bugs on my t-shirt and helmet. Could not imagine trying to ride through that crap without a full face helmet..
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

It's no myth: it's breakfast!

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well yeah, a facescreen on your helmet is a must. Some folks also prefer a windshield.

My advice is that you want more than a 50cc scoot. The 125 vs. 150 Buddy is really a matter of personal preference and your specific needs - i.e. weight capacity, top speed, etc. The differences in the two scoots are not large.

I gather you have little experience with scooters or motorcycles. Seriously consider an MSF course as a first step. You'll dramatically increase your skill level and get some experience about the kind of bike you may prefer.
Syd

Post by Syd »

There's no flying bugs in the Valley! But I rode home one day in a light drizzle with a half helmet and goggles - it felt like millions of little pins sticking my face all the way. I had been thinking of a fullface just for cutting down on the wind noise, but that 5 mile ride convinced me.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Pekabou

Post by Pekabou »

hippybuddy wrote:Would you say getting a helmet with a shield is worth it?

yes. oh my ever-loving gods and goddesses of scooters, yes.

I had a 3/4 helmet at first - then a week into scooting ordered a FF.
Sparky

Rain!

Post by Sparky »

Fun fact: rain pelting in your face at anywhere above 35 mph hurts. A *lot*. I used to ride in a dirtbike helmet and goggles for the "wind in my face" After a couple years of eating bugs, dust, rocks and raindrops I went back to a full face.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I just noticed hippybuddy is in Phoenix. That means he gets to get pelted by the occasional giant Palo Verde Beetle. Yoikes!

olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

The most annoying part of not wearing a full face helmet is when the gnats and smaller bugs get stuck in your lip gloss. :wink:
Owl you need is love.
hippybuddy

Post by hippybuddy »

Thanks k1dude....

That is about the most frightening thing ever. I hope to never have one of those in my face.
Thanks for the info on helmets everyone! It's a start to a very promising future with my scooter
armacham

Post by armacham »

ericalm wrote:Bugs?! You should be more worried about dirt, pebbles and rocks!

A piece of gravel scratched a brand new faceshield of mine within 30 minutes of having put it on my helmet. :evil:

Then I realized how much fun that would have been without the faceshield :shock: