what top case?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

j490p

what top case?

Post by j490p »

i am looking for opinions on top cases.
i am looking at getting either the givi e30 or the givi e370. i am basically going to us the case for "extra" storage as opposed to putting my helmet in it. also, i plan on wiring and mounting some lights (another post) to it to go along with the light already available for the cases.
one is obvioulsy a bit largerthan the other. i guess i am looking to get the smaller of two because i really don't want something "huge" siiting on the back of my scoot. also, if i'm right, the smaller one would look a little more "sporty" (lack of a better term) than the larger one.
other than space, are there any cons to getting the smaller size top case?
has anybody had any real problems with the cases?
thanks again.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I don't have the Givi, but they are pretty much a top line piece of equipment so can't imagine any major problems.

I have a matching Genuine case and it serves its purpose well, but without the lights that are available for the Givi.

Smaller might be better unless you are conscientious about not putting a lot of weight in the larger one. It changes handling some but is ok if you're prepared for it.
Between the hooks to hang bags, the underseat storage, and a top box without a helmet stored in it, I can't see a reason for the larger box other than just in case...
bruiteur

Post by bruiteur »

I love my E370 on my SportCity 250. It's an excellent case. I wouldn't put it on my Buddy, however. Way too big. Quality-wise all of Givi's products that I've seen are superb.
docutech

Post by docutech »

The E30 fits my buddy perfectly.

j490p

Post by j490p »

thanks for help.
thanks for the pic too. it would seem the 30 would be great.
judging from the pic...and thanks a million for that.....it looks great.
now that i was able to get my back rack, i will be able to get the accessories that i wanted, like the top case and the cowel protectors.
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

And to add to docutech, another angle:

It is awesome. Just got the light kit, will be installing it this weekend.

~SITR
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

I am getting the E30, but be aware, unless you are buying local and it is IN STOCK on the shelf at the store you are buying from, it is on a nation-wide backorder waiting for a shipment to come in from the manufacturing plant in Italy. I was estimated another 2-3 weeks until the shipment comes in, then however long it takes for them to fill the drop-ship orders that they have waiting. Keep in mind that I ordered mine several weeks ago already and I "might" not even get one from this shipment because the backorder list is so long. If you havent even ordered yet, i wish you luck in getting yours, its going to be a LONG wait.
j490p

Post by j490p »

i figured the there was gonna be a back order. i'm just glad that i was able to get the back rack. the back rack was the one piece i wanted the most. it's seems that without the back rack, everything else is moot.
i'll just have to see what other things i can get. actually, my next purchase is going to be the cowel protectors. i think those are available??
one question though...when you hook up the brake light to the case, is it easily disconnected in order to remove the case from time to time?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

you should be able to just design that into your electrical plans with a quick hookup disconenct type connection in the bottom of your top case, or under your seat whereever you run the wires.
j490p

Post by j490p »

cool. now i should have asked this in the first place...
...i have looked at the givi site and saw numerous cases.
do they have a smaller case, than the e30, that has the brake light and that someone has used successfully on the buddy?
MarkTur

Genuine Trunk

Post by MarkTur »

Does anyone know if it will fit an XL Fullface helmet?

If not, I'll look at the Givi - I have the Light Blue Buddy 125, and the pic looked nice with the black trunk. The Genuine trunk is on backorder from my dealer...maybe next week.
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
j490p

Post by j490p »

oh...and does someone have a rear pic of the top case on their buddy?
docutech

Post by docutech »

BAM!

GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

As far as electrical connection, if you buy the Givi OEM brake light kit, it comes with a pair of surface contact connectors. One fastens to the mounting plate, the other fastens to the bottom of the topcase. When you remove the topcase, you just screw a plastic cover over the bare receptacle on the mounting plate to protect it from the elements. A minor modification is required to install the connectors, but its a matter of just punching out a pre-formed round blank on each piece. Very innovative and creative design to make the brake like truly "quick-connect" once it has been installed.
j490p

Post by j490p »

thanks so much guys. everything helped out.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

Does anyone know if the Genuine trunk will "really" fit a XL Full-face?

If not, what is the smallest GIVI to get that will fit one?
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

MarkTur wrote:Does anyone know if the Genuine trunk will "really" fit a XL Full-face?

If not, what is the smallest GIVI to get that will fit one?
The only way to really find out if your XL helmet fits is to try it. I really dont think any two helmets are exactly the same, so one XL that does fit doesnt mean that another will.

Since the Givi E30 will normally fit a Large FF helmet, "most" XL helmets are usually just the same shell as a large, with slighly thinner padding inside, but again, you would have to check into this.

Honestly, I would just use the pegs under the seat, or take the helmet with you when you walk away from the scooter and not base your top case selection on whether it will fit a helmet or not.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

I have 2 sccoters with Givi topcases. I have the Flow which is now an E350 and my wife has a Micro 2 which is now a E260.

I got the larger case because it was only like 10 bux more and was a better fir for some of my bulky stuff. I personally love having the bit of extra room for sweatshirts and the like. My wife thought it looked too big on the bike and she opted for the smaller case.

The smaller case will fit my XL FF if its was ever empty, but it always has a bit of stuff that collects in it.

Now as for the usefulness of the smaller case. Most of the time when we are both out riding I end up with some of her stuff in my case because it is easier to throw something in the larger case then stuffing the smaller full.
j490p

Post by j490p »

i really want a smaller case just to put small things in. i don't plan on using to make large hauls and i don't intend to put my helmet in it. more than likely, i will carry a back pack for most of my personal stuff.
i just wanted to make sure that the smaller case has the same availability as the larger ones that have the working brake light.
j490p

Post by j490p »

nevermind. i found the link.
thanks for the help
lcstatema

Post by lcstatema »

I have the Coocase Fusion V28 and it fits my helmet with faceshield (along with my rainpants and vest liner underneath). It came with built in lights and it was fairly straightforward to install (just attach the yellow wire from the case to the light blue wire on your buddy). I really like it. It has a nice, soft liner top and bottom inside and the lid stays open when you open it. The case seals up very tight.

I got it from twisted throttle and it ended up being cheaper than the givi with the light kit.

I recommend it.

-Loren
Attachments
P1060513.jpg
P1060513.jpg (62.01 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
P1060514.jpg
P1060514.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
P1060512.jpg
P1060512.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Former Buddy rider, now I'm on a '09 Kymco People S 250
lcstatema

Post by lcstatema »

One more thing... You can order one and have it shipped out immediately! Another nice feature.
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

If you want to carry something specific then make sure that it will actually fit in the case you are looking at. My backpack won't fit in a smaller case then the one I got.

The smaller case holds a sweatshirt,light jacket and a small purse. It is just a bit smaller then the pet carrier.
j490p

Post by j490p »

thaks a lot for the pic and info. i will have to look into that case.
like i said, my main purpose for the case is "small" hauling. i do not intend to fill it with a lot of stuff
bulldog1967

Post by bulldog1967 »

lcstatema wrote:I have the Coocase Fusion V28 and it fits my helmet with faceshield (along with my rainpants and vest liner underneath). It came with built in lights and it was fairly straightforward to install (just attach the yellow wire from the case to the light blue wire on your buddy). I really like it. It has a nice, soft liner top and bottom inside and the lid stays open when you open it. The case seals up very tight.

I got it from twisted throttle and it ended up being cheaper than the givi with the light kit.

I recommend it.

-Loren
I like that, do you think the v36 would be too big?
lcstatema

Post by lcstatema »

the Coocase is 28 liters, the Givi 36 is 36 liters. It's a pretty big difference.

Like I said, I can fit my helmet with my rainpants & vest in the coocase. It's plenty of space for me without being too big.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

The coocase looks nice, but where are you getting that it costs less than the E30? The E30 is $90, back rest is $45, and light kit is $48, and they all ship free direct from Givi USA. The Coocase with built-in light costs $199 (plus shipping depending on where you buy) without a backrest. A fully decked out Givi E30 is still cheaper when you do the math.

Im not going to get into whether one is "better" than the other, I dont have that experience, but from everything I could find, no one has had anything bad to say about their Givi cases, and I even know a couple people with various Givi accessories that have nothing but good things to say about them. The only bad thing right now is the stupid backorder and having to wait several weeks for shipments to come in, but you cant really blame Givi for the scooter boom that is literally draining every little piece of product off the shelves... I dont think ANYONE was anticipating how good scooter sales would be this year.
j490p

Post by j490p »

i tried to find the demensions of the coocase 28. having difficulty though.
does anyone have the demensions (in inches) so i can have a comparison to the givi?
lcstatema

Post by lcstatema »

The Coocase is actually cheaper because it has free shipping!

Dimensions:

15.5" W
15.25" L
11.25" H
lcstatema

Post by lcstatema »

I was comparing shipping from Twisted Throttle. They charge shipping for the Givi, but not the Coocase.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

lcstatema wrote:I was comparing shipping from Twisted Throttle. They charge shipping for the Givi, but not the Coocase.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Its cool, but Twisted Throttle is far from the only Givi source on the net, and at many other sites, you can easily get the entire decked out E30 setup with lights and backrest for around $180 with free shipping. Installing and wiring the light and attaching the backrest would still be up to the customer thou, so I guess there is a little cost saving having those lights pre-wired on the Coocase, but I dont see a backrest option available for the Coocase, so I guess its up to the customer what they want.
lcstatema

Post by lcstatema »

Cool!

I'm going to figure out a back rest situation. Thanks for the feedback.

-Loren
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

OK, my Vespa dealer just called me and told me he's got a Buddy case that matches my scoot, along with a black rack with free installation:
$220 ($140 case + $80 rack). He's obviously building in the "free" installation.

He DID confirm for me that it will fit a full-face helmet, and I believe it comes with the backrest (please correct me if I'm wrong). If this is true, it's the best deal - and I'm supporting the local brick and mortar guy.

(Not to mention it's a KILLER 38 mile ride along the beach to get there.)

So I thinks I'll take a "Mental Health Day" on Friday...pick up the new stuff, and then I'm taking my family to the Linkin Park concert when I get back. Sounds like a great day to me! :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc

sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

GFridrich3 wrote:As far as electrical connection, if you buy the Givi OEM brake light kit, it comes with a pair of surface contact connectors. One fastens to the mounting plate, the other fastens to the bottom of the topcase. When you remove the topcase, you just screw a plastic cover over the bare receptacle on the mounting plate to protect it from the elements. A minor modification is required to install the connectors, but its a matter of just punching out a pre-formed round blank on each piece. Very innovative and creative design to make the brake like truly "quick-connect" once it has been installed.
How do you get the wire from the brake light to the case? Do you have to drill any holes that would be seen if at a later date I want to do away with the case, or if I ever sell or trade it in on another scooter and I remove the rear rack and put the stock handle back on.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

sbebenelli wrote:
GFridrich3 wrote:As far as electrical connection, if you buy the Givi OEM brake light kit, it comes with a pair of surface contact connectors. One fastens to the mounting plate, the other fastens to the bottom of the topcase. When you remove the topcase, you just screw a plastic cover over the bare receptacle on the mounting plate to protect it from the elements. A minor modification is required to install the connectors, but its a matter of just punching out a pre-formed round blank on each piece. Very innovative and creative design to make the brake like truly "quick-connect" once it has been installed.
How do you get the wire from the brake light to the case? Do you have to drill any holes that would be seen if at a later date I want to do away with the case, or if I ever sell or trade it in on another scooter and I remove the rear rack and put the stock handle back on.
You have to run a two conductor wire along the underside of the rear rack, then penetrate (heh heh...) a plastic panel at some place, and run the wire to your brake wires and tap into them. I guess, if you wanted, you could just enlarge one of the holes in a panel where the rear rack bolts to the scooter, and run the wire down at one of those posts, it would be virtually impossible to see you have modified anything that way if you ever do remove the wiring.
j490p

Post by j490p »

well, i got my givi e30 the other day. big easy scooters in town had three of them. the guys are great and put one the side for me.
wasn't hard at all to install it. i'm gonna order the brake light for it next and hopefully wil be able to wire it myself.
does anyone have a link on how to install the brake light system to a buddy?
the scooter is getting closer and closer to making it's forum debut via pics.
oh, and i also got a cuppini short screen too. took a little longer to install, but i got it done. made some minor adjustments to the mirror placement (i didn't like the mirrors sticking out so far, so, i turn the mounting piece inwards). other than that, it makes a real difference in the ride.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I ended up going with an Aprilia trunk once I arrived at the dealer. Like the seat storage area, the full face didn't quite fit. The Aprilia is black, which actually looks nice on the light blue scoot, and works great - you can open and close WITHOUT using the key if you choose which is a nice convenience for quick trips to the store.

Price was the same as the Buddy case...

What I don't like is that there is no lights or reflectors on it, but I think I'll get some reflective tape or mount a couple of reflectors to it, and that will be fine.

No backrest either, but hey, I was reading the instructions for the Buddy Rack, which I did get (of course) and it says maximum of 9 pounds??? This means to me that people should NOT be leaning on them, right???

I was going to get some sort of aftermarket backrest (I'm sure any can be adapted to fit) but now I think that's not too good of an idea. I will occasionally be riding with my wife or son on the back...and falling off would suck.

Did I misunderstand something? I can't imagine why they would sell a backrest with that type of warning!!!???
Cya!
Mark Turkel

Genuine Buddy 125cc