Full face flip up helmet with glasses

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sbebenelli

Full face flip up helmet with glasses

Post by sbebenelli »

I have a full face helmet I use now, I also wear glasses and find it a pain to have to remove my glasses every time I take my helmet on and off, especially during short trips to businesses like I tend to do. With a full face flip up helmet does that allow a person to keep their glasses on while putting the helmet on and off?
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

With my modular Full Face I do not have to take my glasses off any more to put it on. I can also smoke while I ride.
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

If you are going to go with something for the convenience of not having to remove your glasses each time, do yourself a favor and get a 3/4" helmet with a full face shield. The modular will provide only a "minimal" increase in protection over a 3/4 helmet if any at all. Add that to the fact that modulars cost easily 2-4 times that of a comparable 3/4 helmet.

I had a hard time at first dealing with glasses, but now I have just gotten used to it and its part of my routine each time i take the scooter out. I say just stick with what you have now, youll get used to it soon.

If its the helmet itself that is giving you a hard time with your glasses, and you want the security of a full face, i suggest looking at some HJC helmets, they are very comfortable for us riders with glasses, as you will see many people admit to on the forum here with enough looking around.
apetit

Post by apetit »

I have to take my glasses off when I put on/take off my modular FF helmet. I suspect the "cut" of the helmet will determine if you need to.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It really varies by the fit of the helmet. My Vega Summit II (which is less than $150 and has received great reviews, BTW) has the most interior space of any modular. I can get it on & off without removing my sunglasses. i haven't been able to do this with every 3/4 helmet I've tried.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sotied

Post by sotied »

Are you serious about the safety of modular helmets?

I have two helmets. One is a yellow FF modular that allows me to leave my glasses on, drink from a bottle of coke or other beverage, talk into my phone (and be heard) and so many other things. I wear it for short trips where I'm only gonna be scooting for less than five or ten minutes.

The FF standard is a little tighter and requires snaking the arms of my glasses in beside my cheeks. I wear that for anything longer AND I use different glasses with that helmet too because my regular glasses are Prada design (but from www.39dollarglasses.com ) and they're almost too square to fit in the reg. FF.

I have toyed with contact lenses, but that means keeping the face shield most of the way or all the way down.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

I have a KBC modular, the FFR. No problem on and off with my glasses. My glasses are the frameless thin titanium ones. Really nice and light, but a total pain to put on with a helmet because the flex too easy. The KBC works just how I needed it.
MarkTur

Post by MarkTur »

I was just shopping for full face helmets last week - same problem here, I wear glasses and the regular glasses are pretty fragile. Sun glasses (perscription) can take the abuse, but my ears can't.

If you're willing to spend $250 there's full face helmets that fold up that will work, but I went a bit cheaper ($175) and just got a regular full face.

My little "ritual" now:
  • Jacket
    glasses off - put on seat
    Helmet
    glasses on
    gloves
At first, I was annoyed...now I'm very comfy with all the gear, and feel naked without it. I also realized I could start the bike and let it warm up for the 30-60 seconds it takes to get ready.

From everything I'm reading, it comes back to patience if you want to be safe, so swallowing the little inconvenience of the glasses is a good start each time before I ride. Forces me to take a second and think about what I'm about to do.

Good luck!
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
sotied

Post by sotied »

MarkTur wrote:
My little "ritual" now:
  • Jacket
    Helmet
    glasses on
    gloves
My ritual WAS like that. Jacket, glasses off - put on seat, start Scootle, put on helmet, look for glasses because vibrations shook them to the ground, step on glasses, thank stars that they don't break, lean over Scootle to pick them up, tip Scootle backward so FAST-SPINNING rear tire starts to grab on cellar floor, hop up quickly so Scootle doesn't catch and take off across basement, breathe sigh of relief, stuff glasses into helmet, gloves on, hop on Scootle, ride away happy - mostly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MarkTur wrote:If you're willing to spend $250 there's full face helmets that fold up that will work, but I went a bit cheaper ($175) and just got a regular full face.
A good modular can be had for less! Under $150!

review
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
schlagle

Post by schlagle »

I'm very sensitive to bright light so I wear sunglasses almost religiously. My Nolan N102 modular allows me to wear them without taking them on and off when I flip up or remove the helmet.

On the expensive side for a helmet though :(

And yes it has a flip down sun visor, but sunglasses are less distracting than the sharp contrasting line the visor imparts on your vision.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

schlagle wrote:I'm very sensitive to bright light so I wear sunglasses almost religiously. My Nolan N102 modular allows me to wear them without taking them on and off when I flip up or remove the helmet.

On the expensive side for a helmet though :(

And yes it has a flip down sun visor, but sunglasses are less distracting than the sharp contrasting line the visor imparts on your vision.
I had the same kind of flip-down visor on my Nolan N-42 and grew to dislike it. Eventually, I had it up all the time, doing nothing but looking goofy and creating drag. Some helmets now have an interior visor, which may work better because it's closer to the face, but may also cause further fitting problems.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

MarkTur wrote:I was just shopping for full face helmets last week - same problem here, I wear glasses and the regular glasses are pretty fragile. Sun glasses (perscription) can take the abuse, but my ears can't.

If you're willing to spend $250 there's full face helmets that fold up that will work, but I went a bit cheaper ($175) and just got a regular full face.

My little "ritual" now:
  • Jacket
    Helmet
    glasses on
    gloves
At first, I was annoyed...now I'm very comfy with all the gear, and feel naked without it. I also realized I could start the bike and let it warm up for the 30-60 seconds it takes to get ready.

From everything I'm reading, it comes back to patience if you want to be safe, so swallowing the little inconvenience of the glasses is a good start each time before I ride. Forces me to take a second and think about what I'm about to do.

Good luck!
My ritual is about the same as yours, but I never lay my glasses down when donning or removing the helmet. I remove them, place the arm under the helmet and between my teeth, remove helmet, replace glasses. No, not my arm, the glasses arm! It took a few times to get used to the ritual but I've been doing it now for quite a few years and it has become second nature. It was only a pain when first beginning.

If you do a review of different manufacturers sites you will find a few ff helmets that are glasses friendly. Such was the case with my HJC CL14. I was fortunate that their helmets are shaped for my head.
shawnie

Post by shawnie »

I have the same ritual! When trying on helmets I thought I was going to be soooo annoyed by having to remove my glasses each time I put on or removed my helmet. I tried on modular helmets and liked the fact that I didn't have to remove my glasses but felt that they were heavier than the regular full face. I also fell in love with the comfort/fit of the HJC CL15 helmet when I tried it on and was immediately sold on it. Now I find that removing my glasses isn't such a big deal and it doesn't bother me at all.
Good Luck!
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

DennisD wrote: I remove them, place the arm under the helmet and between my teeth, remove helmet, replace glasses. No, not my arm, the glasses arm!
LIES! You are chewing arms! Zombie wannabe (sorry, really not trying to hijack the thread, but I just hadda say it!)

I will get you and your little cat too!
Attachments
zombiecat.jpg
zombiecat.jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

shawnie wrote:I have the same ritual! When trying on helmets I thought I was going to be soooo annoyed by having to remove my glasses each time I put on or removed my helmet. I tried on modular helmets and liked the fact that I didn't have to remove my glasses but felt that they were heavier than the regular full face. I also fell in love with the comfort/fit of the HJC CL15 helmet when I tried it on and was immediately sold on it. Now I find that removing my glasses isn't such a big deal and it doesn't bother me at all.
Good Luck!
Thats my helmet. CL-15. Snell certified, about as light as you can get for a full face helmet (I barely feel mine when Im wearing it), an ENORMOUS eyeport for excellent visibility, and absolutely NO pressure on the sides of my face from the arms of my glasses. They just "fit" my face like I dont have a helmet on at all. I cant sing enough praise about the CL series helmets from HJC.