Genuine Seatcovers

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootin_in_MS

Genuine Seatcovers

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Have you all seen these ugly seatcovers Genuine is trying to sell? Go to the bottom of the accessories page. Yechh! Crystal does a much better job!

http://www.genuinescooters.com/buddy_access.html :bleh:

Jody
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Maybe they're just to put on if you leave your scoot out in the elements.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I have to agree... they are a little off. I wonder how much those handle bar cover thing cost... not that I would buy them fro Genuine, because they are yucky.
scootie

Post by scootie »

those seatcovers are a site :(

Genuine has it right with the scooter, but these accessories sure leave a bit to be desired.., ill fitting and looks as though they are just plain cotton material as well.

Jody- Crystal's leopard seatcover on your Minnie Pearl is the utlimate in class. :)
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
03 Yamaha Vino 50 -adopted by a foster family
sparty

Post by sparty »

I wanted to get a cover from Crystal, but I can't figure out what pattern I should get, so now I am coverless....
scootie

Post by scootie »

Sparty -
IMO
the bengal tiger pattern would look awesome on an orange Buddy...

brown leopard would look cool, too
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

eewwww :shock: I have a Pink Cammo one on order from Crystal for my pink Buddy.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Uh, yeah, these look pretty darn cheap. Plus, who wants mass produced, generic ones when Crystal will do a custom job?

I have also seen some other nice homemade seat covers, including some with tassels and poms around the edges (see image below). Not for ME, mind you, but for those wanting to get crafty with their scoots. There's a scooter craft thread over on craftster.org, but it's mostly people saying they'd like to do something with their scoots but haven't.

Seems like anyone with rudimentary sewing skills could make those hand covers, but I'm not sure they're such a good idea. Is it really safe to use something which makes it hard to see your handlebars or remove your hands from them in an emergency?
Attachments
Now THAT's a seat cover!
Now THAT's a seat cover!
seatcover.jpg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

OH WHEW, I'm so glad someone else said something, since I'm a little biased when it comes to seat covers for scooters. ;-) Thank you for all the good words.

Ericalm, that is an awesome cover that belongs to (and was made by) one of the Baltimore Bombshells. She's won best-in-show at rallies with her scooter, if memory serves - it's awesome and one of the inspirations for me when I first made seat covers for myself. It's cool to see it again.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Crystal wrote:Ericalm, that is an awesome cover that belongs to (and was made by) one of the Baltimore Bombshells. She's won best-in-show at rallies with her scooter, if memory serves - it's awesome and one of the inspirations for me when I first made seat covers for myself. It's cool to see it again.
Yup, I linked to the Bombshells gallery, but here's their site: http://baltimorebombshells.actiongirlart.com/

They have some of the most awesome mods on their scoots, including one with a horse saddle for a seat, several topcase "cozies" and another with a bowling girl figure from a trophy mounted on her fender crest.
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

mittens? :wtf:
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

i've been looking for some hand covers for winter riding, and actually like the orange plaid. i just wish the pictures were better and there was some description of the products so that you could see what they are made from.

Crystal, any chance you're going to break into making hand covers?
weebl

Post by weebl »

Sunshien- why hand covers? Why not just get some gloves?
Riding gloves have the added bonus of protecting your hands in the event of an accident.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

weebl wrote:Sunshien- why hand covers? Why not just get some gloves?
Riding gloves have the added bonus of protecting your hands in the event of an accident.
well, mid-weight riding gloves are part of my daily riding gear, and i have the tall windshield that covers your hands from the wind. i'm just one of those people who is cold if it isn't 80 degrees, and twice a week i have an hour-long ride home late at night. so when the night time temps are around freezing, I need more protection. i've thought about buying mittens or trying to buy snowski gloves big enough to go over my riding gloves, but would rather have something that leaves my hands more nimble for adjusting controls and reaching the brakes. i also have really tiny hands with long fingers, so finding gloves that fit tightly enough and that allow me to close my fist without running out of room in the fingers is hard to do without trying on umpteen billion pairs of gloves. i've exhausted the selection at the dealership. from other scooterists descriptions of hand covers, they seem like a good option for me.
weebl

Post by weebl »

How are you with a sewing machine? I could probably write up some quick instructions on how to make some if you know which end of the needle to use :P
scootie

Post by scootie »

how about some of these handlebar mitts? I have a similar pair in blue and they are warm

they look warmer then the genuine ones & probably much less expensive, too

http://www.scootertherapy.com/barmittspage.html
Sooznd

03 Honda Metropolitan
06 Yamaha Vino 125
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

weebl wrote:How are you with a sewing machine? I could probably write up some quick instructions on how to make some if you know which end of the needle to use :P
Well, I have a machine and have so far managed to hem some pants... So instructions would be great! I can at least give it a whirl and see what happens.