Oil Change - Torque Wrench - Zombies

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sotied

Oil Change - Torque Wrench - Zombies

Post by sotied »

Just a quick story and a question. Changed the topic name to include oil and Zombies to blatantly get more advice. I need a little reassurance here from my Buddy buddies. Thanks.

Changed my oil for the first time MYSELF. Have had the original service.

Changed both oil and oil filter.

SEEMED to go without a hitch.

Was a little frazzled by the end so I didn't change the gear oil. Will do that the next oil change.

Here are the specifics and then my question. (If you just came here for the question, it's: How do I know with a torque wrench if I've torqued enough? My wrench doesn't ratchet and release - I think all it gives is one solid click, then it allows you to tighten more if you so choose. Is that possible? Craftsman - Sears).

1 - took off bolt with screen and spring. 17MM socket.

2 - drained oil.

3 - Unscrewed oil dipstick, more oil came out.

4 - removed oil filter. 21MM socket.

5 - some oil came out.

ALL OIL WAS DIRTY. I have 1530 on the scoot. Oil was first changed at 500.

6 - tipped Scootle back and forth and let oil drain for about five more minutes. Drips stopped.

7 - Wiped all parts down.

8 - Made sure screen was clear (had a sharp object in it the size of the very very very end of a toothpick. Couldn't tell if it was metal or not. Got rid of that.

9 - Put bolt back in. Twisted in reverse to seat, then forward by hand. Smooth and not cross-threaded. YAY.

10 - Tightened with regular ratchet, didn't use torque wrench.

11 - Unsealed new filter, poured Mobil 1 into measuring cup. 0W-40 Synthetic.

12 - Wiped filter seal with a little bit of oil. Then a little more.

13 - Threaded oil filter on by hand.

(all the while Scootle is in center stand which gets in the way a little, but not horribly)

14 - Tightened with torque wrench until the click. Then tightened a little more. Then tested it, got another single click and gave a tiny bit more tightening. (horror stories of filters falling off are getting to me).

15 - Then put 500ml of oil in via funnel.

16 - Put another 300ml in measuring cup and added that too.

17 - made sure nothing was dripping and started her up.

18 - Ran Scootle for two minutes. Checked oil, almost to the top and CLEAR as can be.

19 - Started her again and ran her longer - until the revs got low. Then revved the engine to distribute oil everywhere and get it flowing through the filter a lot.

20 - Checked oil again. Right to the top of the graduated marks on the stick.

Put all stuff away and came up to the computer.

Am going for a ride in a little bit to see how she runs. Some people have been saying that the scoot runs better when it's not TOTALLY full of oil. I think I made the right choice by not putting an entire 900 in the beast.

And now for the question (also asked above)...

How do I know with a torque wrench if I've torqued enough? My wrench doesn't ratchet and release - I think all it gives is one solid click, then it allows you to tighten more if you so choose. Is that possible? Craftsman - Sears

Thanks!
Last edited by sotied on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

not sure on the torque wrench part, but I know you arent supposed to eat the used oil... :?
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

The click wrenches work like that. When it clicks, that means you have hit the torque setting you have dialed in. Yes, it will also you to turn it more, but you should stop when you feel the click.

With a big torque wrench dialed in at 10-12 ft/pounds, it feels like nothing. So yeah, you will think it's not tight. Remember how long that handle is, that's a lot of leverage.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Racenut wrote:The click wrenches work like that. When it clicks, that means you have hit the torque setting you have dialed in. Yes, it will also you to turn it more, but you should stop when you feel the click.

With a big torque wrench dialed in at 10-12 ft/pounds, it feels like nothing. So yeah, you will think it's not tight. Remember how long that handle is, that's a lot of leverage.
By tightening a little more do you think I caused an issue?

I let it sit for 35 minutes with newspaper under it (no drips, runs, errors) and just moved it from the basement to the street. Am going for a ride in about 10 minutes just to get the oil fully in the system and get a ride into my system.

AND, any danger in me not doing the gear oil this time around? I'll change both gear and engine oil when I hit 3000-4000.

Jeff
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

You really shouldn't need a torque wrench for tightening your oil screw...unless you are worried about overtightening and are attempting to prevent that.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i opened this thread to read about zombies. what a gyp.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Ah my torque wrench didnt help me much at all on the oil filter, I tightened to 8nm (6 foot pounds), seemed tight, but with a ratchet, I still had much more to tighten by hand. I tightened it pretty good, even my dealer said I did it correctly.

I had fears of the oil filter coming lose or off too, but it hasnt yet, and if it does, usually within 10-20 miles of the change it comes off or lose.
sotied

Post by sotied »

jfrost2 wrote:Ah my torque wrench didnt help me much at all on the oil filter, I tightened to 8nm (6 foot pounds), seemed tight, but with a ratchet, I still had much more to tighten by hand. I tightened it pretty good, even my dealer said I did it correctly.

I had fears of the oil filter coming lose or off too, but it hasnt yet, and if it does, usually within 10-20 miles of the change it comes off or lose.
I just went for a ride to the beach (no surfers, fish, fishing poles or inflatable toys - see week #9 Scavenger Hunt for more info), then across town to a sub shop. Then to get gas and now home. Rode it about 10 miles probably.

It's cooling off now and I'll go check to see if the filter is still tight and if there's any sign of oil anywhere underneath Scootle.

Thanks!

BTW, if a Zombie eats your brains then you won't be aware enough to be all freaked out about damaging your scooter during an oil change or any other mechanical adjustment. There. Zombies.

And no, I didn't use the torque wrench on the oil plug. That was pure and simple tighten it down so it stops moving without being too brutish.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

its already much too late. i'm already disappointed with the false promise of zombie information in this thread. FIE on your torque wrenches.
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
sotied

Post by sotied »

madtolive wrote:its already much too late. i'm already disappointed with the false promise of zombie information in this thread. FIE on your torque wrenches.
What is FIE?
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

sotied wrote:By tightening a little more do you think I caused an issue?
As long as you didn't go crazy, no. About he worst that might be is it will be difficult to remove next time.

I'm not sure what's up with scooter oil filters and torquing them down, but every other oil filter I've ever done on cars and trucks, using a rubber ring gasket, the general rule is spin it till the gasket makes contact, then 3/4 turn tighter. I can usually twist the filter on my car and truck off by hand, though it requires a lot of effort they will be come off. My cars filter is barely bigger than the scooters and my trucks filter is ginormous. Doesn't seem to matter, 3/4 turn tight and never had a problem.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

sotied wrote:
madtolive wrote:its already much too late. i'm already disappointed with the false promise of zombie information in this thread. FIE on your torque wrenches.
What is FIE?
you know, like in shakespeare and stuff. duh. :roll: i think it's supposed to denote like, contempt or something. who knows what the crazy loon was thinking anyway.

sweet validation:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fie

suckers.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Racenut wrote: I'm not sure what's up with scooter oil filters and torquing them down, but every other oil filter I've ever done on cars and trucks, using a rubber ring gasket, the general rule is spin it till the gasket makes contact, then 3/4 turn tighter. I can usually twist the filter on my car and truck off by hand, though it requires a lot of effort they will be come off. My cars filter is barely bigger than the scooters and my trucks filter is ginormous. Doesn't seem to matter, 3/4 turn tight and never had a problem.
In general that's great practice. But not on a Buddy. There have been many a filter spin off and many an engine ground up due to under tightening. I'm not sure of the exact spec (maybe what sotied posted above is it) but it needs to be tightened down pretty hard.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

sotied wrote:
What is FIE?
International Fencing Association - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIE

Might be handy in fighting off zombies. I'd recommend the rapier or saber over the epee.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
rondothemidget

Oil Changes + Zombies

Post by rondothemidget »

Having first-hand experience with the filter spinning off, I recommend the filter be torqued good and tight so you can successfully escape the zombies. When the zombie invasion hits, I'm heading straight to Costco in a mad sprint. They have block walls and steel doors and have everything there! I've seen the movies (Planet Terror, Bubba HoTep, Shaun of the Dead) and the last thing I want while setting a Buddy speed record in my Costco sprint is for the oil filter to spin off, oil leak all over the back tire and crash my scooter (again) and have the zombies eat my brains.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

But if you have the oil slick after you crash, the zombies will just get on it themselves and they'll just be slipping and sliding and falling to the ground with all the cool sound effects of the Scooby Doo cartoons of yore. I'd buy that for a dollar!
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

This conversatin came up when I googled: What SIZE of torque wrench????
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmazza wrote:
Racenut wrote: I'm not sure what's up with scooter oil filters and torquing them down, but every other oil filter I've ever done on cars and trucks, using a rubber ring gasket, the general rule is spin it till the gasket makes contact, then 3/4 turn tighter. I can usually twist the filter on my car and truck off by hand, though it requires a lot of effort they will be come off. My cars filter is barely bigger than the scooters and my trucks filter is ginormous. Doesn't seem to matter, 3/4 turn tight and never had a problem.
In general that's great practice. But not on a Buddy. There have been many a filter spin off and many an engine ground up due to under tightening. I'm not sure of the exact spec (maybe what sotied posted above is it) but it needs to be tightened down pretty hard.
Not on some other scooters either. I know on my Burg Ex it's get the gasket to land hand tight then two full turns. Check the manual for what ever model you are working on.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Oil Change - Torque Wrench - Zombies

Post by BuddyRaton »

sotied wrote:Changed my oil for the first time MYSELF. Have had the original service.

Sounds like you did a great job. Next time it will take you half the time and you can get the gear oil too!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

What size drive should the torque wrench be????
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Whatever size you have sockets for. Me, I have 3/8" drive sockets that fit the obvious Buddy bolts (17mm, etc.), so I picked up a 3/8" drive torque wrench. It only replaces the ratchet of a standard socket set.

[Edit] I guess I should add that if you don't already own a socket wrench set, get the 3/8" torque wrench and a 3/8" socket set - you'll need these sockets in addition to the wrench itself.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

sotied wrote:
What is FIE?
Comes after Fee and before Foe Fum
www.teamscootertrash.com

JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

avonpirate wrote:This conversatin came up when I googled: What SIZE of torque wrench????
Way to necropost!

So this zombie crap has been around since 2008?
BuddyRaton wrote:
sotied wrote:Changed my oil for the first time MYSELF. Have had the original service.

Sounds like you did a great job. Next time it will take you half the time and you can get the gear oil too!
You do realize the poster changed their oil 5 years ago, right? And sotied hasn't posted to ModernBuddy in over a year, right?
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

BuddyRaton wrote:
sotied wrote:
What is FIE?
Comes after Fee and before Foe Fum
The verse in King Lear makes use of the archaic word "fie", used to express disapproval. The word "fum" has sometimes been interpreted as "fume". Formations such as "fo" and "foh" are perhaps related to the expression "pooh!", which is used by one the giants in Jack the Giant-Killer; such conjectures largely indicate that the phrase is of imitative origin, rooted in the sounds of flustering and anger.

Thank you Wiki. ("Read it on the internet so it must be true.") :P
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

JettaKnight wrote:You do realize the poster changed their oil 5 years ago, right? And sotied hasn't posted to ModernBuddy in over a year, right?
OMG! They do exist!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Torque Wrenches and Zombies FTW!!!

Is necroposting a zombie thread the absolute peak of irony, or what? :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

JettaKnight wrote:You do realize the poster changed their oil 5 years ago, right? And sotied hasn't posted to ModernBuddy in over a year, right?

Yeah...but it's fun to resurect dead threads!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Zombie...crap? :shock:
BLASPHEMER!!! :evil:

:lol: :)