170i Fuel Tank Size?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

170i Fuel Tank Size?

Post by skipper20 »

I thought it was 1.8 US gallons but at my last fill-up I could only squeeze 1.025 gallons in even though the fuel gauge needle was at the very bottom of the red mark surrounding "E". It's been about the same with previous fill-ups. Is Genuine Buddy scrimping on their specifications?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia "the Olive Pit"
anthony

Post by anthony »

I just tend to assume the fuel guage is wrong, considering that so many scooter models seem to have inaccurate or unreliable fuel gauges. I've personally never gotten more than 1.2g in my 170, though I also tend to fill before it gets to the bottom of the E just to be on the safe side. That said, I think it's 1.7gal not 1.8.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

my average fill up is just over 1 gallon, though the 150 was supposed to have a 1.6 gallon tank or whatever. I tend to fill up @ 95 miles of travel. ran out of gas once at 111 miles, and I'd like to avoid making that a habit.

since the tank is flat and the tube floats a hair above the tank, it's doubtful you'll get the whole amount.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

A couple of Points:

1. Volume refers to actual physical volume, not usable volume. I have run out of gas only to open the tank and see gas still in there. If the outlet / fuel tap isn't completely covered, then it will start sucking in air, and air bubbles will cause your engine to die and act like you are out of gas.

2. Fuel injection requires a fuel pump and most often it is placed inside the tank, this takes away useable volume. If it isn't in the tank, it still requires that the tap be completely covered by fuel so that it doesn't suck air into the fuel line, this can damage fuel pumps, so there may be a safety system that prevents the fuel level from getting too low.

3. Fuel gauges are best guess estimates, they are not accurate by any means specially if they employ a float.

4. New bikes come with roadside assistance, so there is an incentive to use gauges that are slightly optimistic, ie say empty when you still have 10 miles of range left.

My advice is to completely fill the tank, take note of how much filled. then fill a small reserve container (gas can) and drive till you run out of gas. Then calculate mileage and thus max range. use reserve to get to gas station.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Len

tanks should be larger

Post by Len »

I have always thought it a shame that the manufacturers put in a lawn-mower size gas tank on a scooter designed to be riden on the roads. I mean seriously- is it not possible to squeeze in a 2.5 gal. tank?

I would rather give up some under seat storage for a much larger gas tank.

Just my 2 cents worth !
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I think part of it is weight and part of it is saying "if we give them a 2 gallon tank, they will ride for 4 hours straight and overheat..."

really filling up every 80 miles or so isn't so bad. But, if I had my way, it would have 2 usable gallons for sure!
monnoracing

Post by monnoracing »

its in the manual. 1.5 gallons
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I always carry an extra gallon in the top trunk on all my scooters. If I
run out I am covered. :P
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Tank size of all Buddies is one of the great mysteries of our time. There have been multiple threads on this topic and never has there come a definitive answer.

I have also found, for a fact, that different types (and presumably sizes) of tanks have been used by PGO. I used to read threads about filling the tank and saw many people say something like "fill it only up to the ring that you can see inside the tank." I wondered what this meant as I only had a plain gas tank. There was nothing inside the tank except gas and empty space.

Then I developed a crack in my tank and had to have it replaced. When I looked inside my brand new tank, eureka! some kind of a ring and inch or two down from the top. I don't know for sure, but I think this tank is a tenth of a gallon or two smaller than my original.

Jus' my observation

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com