Replaced turn signals with LED, how to make them blink?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lokky

Replaced turn signals with LED, how to make them blink?

Post by Lokky »

So the stock turn signals on my Buell Blast were falling apart (rubber design with lots of shake, not very smart) so I went ahead and bought some cheap LED indicators.

I hooked them up alright (not a perfect match for the connectors but I made it work) however I must have fallen into the low resistance trap and now they simply stay on all the time.

I understand that my options are either to change the flasher relay or put some resistors inline to the turn signals. So the question is, which is the easiest option?
Assume no knowledge of electrical systems in real life (I have a year of college level physics but nothing practical), how do I figure out how much resistance to add or which relay to purchase?

Cheers!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Switching to a universal (incandescent and/or LED) probably makes more sense, as adding load resistors to a LED circuit, in order to provide the load to the conventional relay, may compromise the brightness of the LEDs.

I know superbrightleds.com carries an inexpensive universal relay, but their website seems to be down at this hour.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Found one:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... asher/788/

Actually, there are two more on their site (search for "flasher relay"), but this one has bare wires rather than crimped lugs or a molex connector. If there's a connector match with the scoot, all the better, but the bare-wire model is probably easiest to retrofit.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Hey thanks a lot, while looking through what you showed me I also found a forum showing how to modify the relay already in the bike to ignore the minimum resistance so I will try that first and order one of those if it doesn't work. Cheers!