OT: Dayton Apartments

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

addictionriot

OT: Dayton Apartments

Post by addictionriot »

We are considering moving acouple different places in the US Dayton, OH being one of them. Just wondered if there are any areas we should stay away from. I would prefer something in the country but I have no idea where that would be. Any info would be great :)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

If you wanna move to seattle I work at an Real Estate Management Company, I could find you a great place here... we dont manage buildings in Ohio tho... its too far to go if something goes wrong :P
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

:lol: I do have relatives there..

We have alot of options. Pretty much where ever there is another store I can transfer to. I would like to stay close to my family though.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

MikieTaps wrote:If you wanna move to seattle I work at an Real Estate Management Company, I could find you a great place here... we dont manage buildings in Ohio tho... its too far to go if something goes wrong :P
Prices for two bedroom places in West Seattle, maybe on the "beach," or on Bainbridge Island? I'm not looking for luxury, but would prefer not to live in a slum or "sketchy" area. We are considering moving to Seattle after I retire for the second time, so don't spend a ton of time on this, okay?

Thanks.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Move to englewood, or west milton, nice small towns. West milton is country, while englewood is semi country, but mostly small town areas. Lots of apartments in englewood. Stay away from trotwood though, the people there screwed themselves and closed every shop there is, it's a ghost town now. 70% of the buildings in trotwood are for sale or empty. But englewood is nice, everything you need in a 1-2 mile radius, we got krogers, meijers, rite aid, post office, kfc, mcdonalds, everything in a 5 minute commute. Perfect for scooting!
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

I may be working closer to Troy, are the winters horrible? I'm scared to drive in the snow :oops: I've actually been to Englewood, it was pretty from what I remember.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Having lived in Dayton for a good portion of my life, I feel pretty qualified to comment on this one. :lol:

You will not find a friendlier, nicer community than the village of Yellow Springs, but it's a bit out there.

I suppose it sort of depends on where you will [potentially/presumably] be working.

There are a lot of really nice areas, and you can definitely find a very reasonably priced apartment in many of them, but it'd help me make a recommendation if I knew where you wanted to be. :D
Huh? What just happened?
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

addictionriot wrote:I may be working closer to Troy, are the winters horrible? I'm scared to drive in the snow :oops: I've actually been to Englewood, it was pretty from what I remember.
Dayton (Columbus, Cincinnati, etc) that's not Winter. Cleveland has WINTER.

Front wheel drive (4wd not necessary) and take your time. You'll be fine.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

addictionriot wrote:I may be working closer to Troy, are the winters horrible? I'm scared to drive in the snow :oops: I've actually been to Englewood, it was pretty from what I remember.
Depends on what you are looking for. If you really want to live in the country and are working in Troy I'd probably look at Greenville. There are a lot of little towns out amongst the corn fields north of Dayton (Arcanum, Versailles, West Milton...) Like mentioned earlier Yellow Springs is a very cool place, (although not too close to Troy). If you want something a little closer to the city then Troy, Tip City, Englewood and Vandalia are decent.

Places I'd avoid, almost anyplace in the city of Dayton (other than a few downtown ares which I've heard have gotten a lot better over the last few years), anything north of Dayton but South of I70.
hammer down
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

This is so strange to me to hear people speaking fondly of the I75 corridor north of Dayton. I can't stand those areas. :( :?

The only thing worth visiting up there (IMO, obviously) is Aullwood Audubon Center in Vandalia/Englewood. 8)
Huh? What just happened?
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

AxeYrCat wrote:This is so strange to me to hear people speaking fondly of the I75 corridor north of Dayton. I can't stand those areas. :( :?

The only thing worth visiting up there (IMO, obviously) is Aullwood Audubon Center in Vandalia/Englewood. 8)
But if you're working in Troy you don't have much of a choice unless you want to commute through downtown. Personally in the Dayton area I'd much rather be south in Middletown, Springboro, Bellbrook, Centerville...

Don't get me wrong, it's not somewhere I'd want to live. My real advice would be to take MikieTaps up on his offer, screw Dayton, and move to the Seattle area (I moved from the Dayton area, New Lebanon to be exact, to Seattle about 9 years ago).
hammer down
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Having spoken with the OP, there are many other cities around Dayton that would be equally viable from a job standpoint, and considerably better (again, IMO) from every other one. :lol: :D

I actually think of Dayton fairly fondly, but it always treated me pretty well. And there's a very substantial grassroots effort to improve the local art scene (you may want to replace 'improve' with 'create', depending on your opinion of how it was when you left or last visited). :lol:

Granted, I'd much rather be in Seattle or the like, but the cost of living in SW Ohio is a pretty big plus. :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

irishtim wrote:
addictionriot wrote:
Dayton (Columbus, Cincinnati, etc) that's not Winter. Cleveland has WINTER.

Front wheel drive (4wd not necessary) and take your time. You'll be fine.
What he said. We get colders temps and twice the snowfall compared to pretty much every non-coastal area in Ohio. But the trade-off is this big beautifull Lake we have access to. ;) Winters in MOST of Ohio are scarily mild.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
ItalianBoy

Post by ItalianBoy »

Since I actually live in Troy, I'm likely the most qualified to comment. We live right in "downtown" Troy in the historic area. We really love it. The SouthWest historic disctrict has a real sense of community (somewhat similar to Yellow Springs) There's lots of places to walk to from my house, Deli's, bookstores, the library, etc. I've seen lots of places up for rent around here recently.

Prior to living in Troy I have lived in New Lebanon, Huber Heights, Beavercreek, Downtown Dayton (The Cannery Building); and I have to say that I think I enjoy Troy the most. This is the first place that my whole neighborhood gets together and has block parties, talks to eachother, shares food, the list goes on and on.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you better details about pretty much any place in the Dayton area.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Winter in englewood isnt too bad. There are plenty of days you could ride as long as you have the right gear for the cold. But days it snows, or rains during the winter, you want to drive. Then usually once or twice a year in the winter, there is the big storm where everyone is stranded and cant drive, but that goes away after a day or two after the snow trucks clear the roads.

My dealer told me they ride year round, as long as there is no snow or ice on the roads, they wait a few days after the snow trucks come just to be safe.