My baby's dying!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScooterLibby

My baby's dying!

Post by ScooterLibby »

So I'm in the process of trying to get my scoot to the shop, but in the mean time, I was hoping someone could give me some insight.
So a few times while I was out riding, my engine would cut out while idleing. At first I thought maybe I hit the switch, but after it happened again I knew that wasn't it. I just ignored it and kept riding, not a good idea i'm sure. Well it happened again a few days ago, just once though, and I gave it some gas and no more problems.
Cut to this morning. I start up the engine and let it run as per usual, and after about five minutes it cuts out. So I start it back up, and again, kachunk. I give it some gas, kachunk. I tried it about five more times, not wanting to believe it was true.
We're not cute, we're dangerous!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'm suspecting you have some jetsom and flotsom in your tank which has migrated to some spot in either the gas line or in the carburetor, thereby preventing the accumulation of gas in the carburetor bowl. In other words, I think you have some crap in the carb blocking the jets. If you are mechanically inclined, the carb is an easy removal, if not, I recommend a short dealer visit.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

I had a similar problem and it was due to some crap in my idle jet. I took it to my dealer here in Mpls and they cleaned it out for me. They don't know what was in there it could have even been a fleck of metal as the scooter only had about 30 miles on it at the time.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Keys wrote:I'm suspecting you have some jetsom and flotsom in your tank which has migrated to some spot in either the gas line or in the carburetor...
It's unanimous. If it had happened just the once, I would have said to wait and see, but it sounds like you've got some junk in your gas tank that's getting into your carb and causing you grief. Your dealer should be able to straighten that out for you, no problem.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

It's true. There have been a few Buddys that have needed their idle jets cleaned out. Luckily, most dealers can do this on the spot. Just make sure that you ride it before you leave the dealer. Susan's 125 needed the idle reset twice. Now it's running like a top.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
ScooterLibby

Post by ScooterLibby »

Thanks guys. I got it out today, finally. Genuine's road side assistance wasn't the best experience, but I got it worked out. Hopefully it can get cleaned out and we can get right back out on the road.
Does anyone know how to avoid having this happen again?
We're not cute, we're dangerous!
Keys

Post by Keys »

I believe there is an inline fuel filter on the fuel line. If there IS, ask the dealer to change it. If there is NOT, ask him to install one. That should help immensely

--Keys 8)

P.S. I must admit, my experience with the roadside assistance was as painless an operation as I've experienced. I called them. They called the local towing company, set it up, called me back within minutes and within 40 minutes the truck was there and I was on my way. The only thing that threw me for a loop was the $150.00 ceiling on assistance. I wasn't aware of that. My trip, however was well within the $150.00.
"Life without music would Bb"
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

My experience was good with the Roadside assistance once I got them to understand the coverage limits. When we first called they were under the impression that there was a 15 mile limit for transport. Once they realized the limit is higher for the Genuine program everything went great. It only took a few minutes for them to figure out they were blowing smoke about the distance limit.

It always pays to keep all of the paperwork so you can read them all of the terms of service. 8)