Cold Weather Woes

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NarMeowZippy

Cold Weather Woes

Post by NarMeowZippy »

So yesterday I had the very unpleasant task of driving over an hour on the scoot in the 30 degree cold. At first it was fine, but I've ran into some crappy cold weather woes I need help fixing.

First, my helmet won't stop fogging up. I have a flip up type and I had to continually flip it up so I could see. Incredibly annoying, and unsafe. :x Any ideas on good fixes for this?

Second, my scoot took almost ten minutes to start in the cold. Any ways to combat this? I even tried to kick start the thing, but eventually gave up and tried again later.

Thanks everyone!!! :)
It's Scooter-rific!!!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I haven't had any trouble starting, even at 28 degrees, so no advice there.

I just got a Fog City visor insert, and that works great. The instructions for installation suck so be careful putting it in or you'll waste the $23 or so it costs (I nearly ruined the insert before I finally figured it out).
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Starting issues would indicate the electric choke needs some dealer attention. As for the fogging...can't help you. I wear a half-helmet and goggles.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

No trouble starting, but then it doesn't really get below 50 here...

I heard someone recommend dishsoap on the visor to battle fogging.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

What about buying an anti-fog visor? Mine works great.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Since we're all on our first winter with the Buddy we don't really know how this scooter will handle harsh weather. But, in the last two days here my 125 has been outside for 8 or 9 hours straight in 20-40 degree weather and started on the first crank every time. I'm guessing yours needs adjustment.

As for helmet fogging, some helmets fog, some don't. I think fit plays an important role but so does helmet design. Does yours fog while you're moving or only when you're stopped? If it fogs while you're moving you do have a serious issue and you should try the inserts or some other remedy ASAP. You didn't say what kind of helmet you have but you can also experiment with adjusting your vents or cracking your visor open a bit. Some full face helmets have shrouds over the nose and those help minimize fogging. If you can't find a remedy for your helmet, you may have to consider a new one.

The other issue is climate. Denver is arid so fogging is less of an issue than in a humid climate like yours. But, in cold weather, my sunglasses can and do fog under my visor if I'm not careful.

Anyway, experiment with your helmet a bit and let us know if it helps at all.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Fog.
City.
Insert.

5 years experience riding with one.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
sparty

Post by sparty »

I live in new york so it's been fairly cold for the past few weeks. Never had a problem starting in the morning. I don;t have the luxury of garage, so I ordered a bike cover to (hopefully) protect it from the elements. I do notice that it takes longer to start in the mroning though...
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

I live in MN and I have had no trouble starting my Buddy at all. In fact it seems to start better in this cold weather. I have more trouble getting me going when it is 30 out than getting my Buddy to run.

MNBuddy
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Slightly open your helmet's visor when you're stopped. If there's a vent, you can open that as well.

A lot of people like the Fog City insert, but I'm sure you've already noticed. :lol:

I haven't had starting issues, except when I forgot to turn the key to off for two days. :oops:
Huh? What just happened?
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

Not sure why anyone would bother paying the $$ and spending the time w/inserts when you can just get an antifog visor. Maybe they aren't available south of the Mason-Dixon....

Unfortunatly here in MN my glasses just fog up inside the visor....
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

MrNatural,

I ordered the Fog City insert just prior to finding out an antifog visor was available for my helmet for $35. Had I known, I would have spent the extra $15 and gotten that instead. I might still get one after the accessory shock has worn off for my wife. :)

The Fog City insert is doing a pretty good job so far.
Kevin
AYPWIP?