NSR: Any musicians on MB?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

madtolive

NSR: Any musicians on MB?

Post by madtolive »

(i would like a pat on the head for putting NSR in my title. see? i can be a good girl when i wanna be)

Pretty self explanatory, just wondering if any of you wonderful people also happen to be musicians. Just out of curiosity. I'm not a musician myself, yet, have just always found myself surrounded by them is all. So if you are, what do you play and how long have you played and what is your favorite song to play? And has anyone ever learned to play a Radiohead song that ISN'T "creep"? Thats a sorta random question, but I'm just curious. That's all.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
Orange Guy

Re: NSR: Any musicians on MB?

Post by Orange Guy »

madtolive wrote:(i would like a pat on the head for putting NSR in my title. see? i can be a good girl when i wanna be)
I thought we were patting you on the booty?

I am so confused.

Anyway, the only instruments I play are of the torture variety.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

Orange Guy wrote:
madtolive wrote:(i would like a pat on the head for putting NSR in my title. see? i can be a good girl when i wanna be)
I thought we were patting you on the booty?

I am so confused.

Anyway, the only instruments I play are of the torture variety.
orange guy, we are absolutely not patting me on the booty. a pat to my booty gets my fist though your face.
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yup. My whole life. Only job I've ever had. I've played guitar since I was a kid and have done everything from teach guitar lessons to snotty little kids in the corner music store to play on really big stages in countries I'd never previously been to (that's how I developed my love for México D.F.) and everything in between.

hard to say what my favorite song to play is... it's kind of one of the bummers of doing the "musician for hire" thing... you kind of learn to like (and dislike) a lot of different kinds of music equally.

Oh and I've learned to play a lot of Radiohead that isn't Creep!!! :P
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

tell me about playing in D.F, the greatest city in the entire big fat world.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

madtolive wrote:a pat to my booty gets my fist though your face.
booty patting, bum grabbing ...

Mikie gets away with anything.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

madtolive wrote:tell me about playing in D.F, the greatest city in the entire big fat world.
Sort of embarrassed to say but I was playing guitar for Chayanne for a while... please say you haven't heard of him. Anyway, this was kind of at his height and we'd play everywhere in Mexico and then each year end with a week at this theatre near the football field with the really really really big flag. Probably a lot of those but it's the only landmark I can think of. So we'd be there for over a week at a time. It was such a blast.

During one of the tours there I had just started dating my (now) wife and so I played super smooth guy and flew her there to see a show. Nice, huh?? 8) She loved that city too.
scooterinvasion

Post by scooterinvasion »

I mess around on the guitar a bit. Several of the neighborhood dad's and I recaptured some of our youthful dreams and put together a band. We played out quite often. Even did a summer festival. It got old after a couple of years.
The 3:00 AM Saturday night bedtimes got to be a bit too much for an old man like me. I need something new to obsess over, and scooting seems to be just the ticket.
standup

Post by standup »

Yup, musician here. I have a day job, but have always been in bands since I was a teenager in Athens GA a long time ago. "Standup", the screen name, refers to the fact that I play standup bass. Though lately it's been all electric. I play guitar too, a little lap steel (cuz it's fun, not cuz I'm good), and write songs.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

oh, did i fail to put my fist through mikie's face? i'll have to remember to do that next time.
Sort of embarrassed to say but I was playing guitar for Chayanne for a while... please say you haven't heard of him.
what in the world about me being mexican american would EVER give you the idea that i DON'T know who Chayanne is?!??! that is so crazy that you played with him!! thats pretty damn cool, actually. sweet! i wonder, whatever did become of that hunka hunka burning love...?

and yeah, flying your lady out there is pretty damn smooth. good work, sir.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

standup wrote: I play guitar too, a little lap steel (cuz it's fun, not cuz I'm good),
I hear you. Lap steel is awesome. I had never played one until I found an Oahu Tonemaster from the 40's or 50's in a used shop for $200. I picked it up and fell in love with it. I've gotten decent on it but I mostly just slide around to different chords. Such cool instruments.

jmazza

Post by jmazza »

madtolive wrote:
Sort of embarrassed to say but I was playing guitar for Chayanne for a while... please say you haven't heard of him.
what in the world about me being mexican american would EVER give you the idea that i DON'T know who Chayanne is?!??! that is so crazy that you played with him!! thats pretty damn cool, actually. sweet! i wonder, whatever did become of that hunka hunka burning love...?

and yeah, flying your lady out there is pretty damn smooth. good work, sir.
Yeah, I figured you'd know, haha. It was pretty goofy but a hell of a lot of fun, especially cuz I'm 100% gringo. I don't know what happened to him... he tried to break into the States (did a small tour here but that was right after I left) but it didn't really work. He's probably still singing and doing his thing.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ohh, yes. Musician here. I started out with the Saxophone and it was all downhill from there. I now play the Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, Drums, Bass, some Guitar, some Piano, and I just got a Cello.
I've played in several Ska bands that nobody has ever heard of over the years, as well as having produced albums for other bands that nobody has ever heard of either :)
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

madtolive wrote:

oh, did i fail to put my fist through mikie's face? i'll have to remember to do that next time.
Its my dimples... I can get away with ANYTHING! :D

I am a musician too! I have played the drums, and various other percussive instruments since I was about 10 or so. 13 years :D
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i have to say, i love music, period, but my two favorite instruments, the two that really get to my soul, are the lap steel and the accordion. gawd. kudos to you, standup.

scooterinvasion, how'd your kids and spouse feel about your gigs? that sounds like something i'd be all for - my (as of yet nonexistent) husband to do.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

what, no lady musicians here? we need to get crackin!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Okay, well my husband was the 'professional' musician for many years and he has had scooters, but I can represent the ladies here with moderately passable guitar playing, and I have a singing background and some piano. I also have an African drum and a few other miscellaneous musical doo-dads.

I keep asking my husband if I can play the triangle or a cow-bell if he ever thinks about a recreational band. . . :wink:
Last edited by runtotorun121 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Celebrate~
standup

Post by standup »

That's funny. I own an accordion, but it terrifies me. All those buttons and keys. My ex-wife played pretty well when we were in bands together. I love the sound of accordion and guitar together, electric or acoustic.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Heh, I've dabbled in the accordion, it really wasn't as hard as it looked. I love the sound too.
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

Guitar, slide national, melobar lap. harmonica. I played and taught many radiohead tunes to and with my sons bands when he was in high school a couple of yrs back. Bends, Karma police, Fake Plastic watering can.
Chokepuppy reference to Bob Marley tune. Diggin everyone from Skatalites, Flaming lips,Dean Martin ,Stan Getz, Muddy Waters, Mescaleros, ect. and the list goes on.

Looks like if you shake a tree in the Modern Buddy forum a musician will fall out! :lol:
rablack

Post by rablack »

It's not my main gig but I've been a guitarist or bassist and singer in various bands pretty much continuously for 32 years (Jeez, that hurt to realize). I also do percussion and wind instruments for grins. I've played art rock, big band jazz and swing, rock/pop/blues/reggae bar bands, wedding bands (rent money), folk, singer-songwriter stuff. All in Texas - clubs, festivals etc... Currently in an all-original Carole King/Bonnie Raitt/Nora Jones-ish band. Working on our 3rd CD.

No favorite song to play - that's like saying what's your favorite food/color. It depends on my mood.

Radiohead - cool stuff, but not in my repertoire
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

chokepuppy wrote: Looks like if you shake a tree in the Modern Buddy forum a musician will fall out! :lol:
we should write an MB theme song.

Or not.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

runtotorun121 wrote:
I keep asking my husband if I can play the triangle or a cow-bell if he ever thinks about a recreational band. . . :wink:

thats what I always say to my friends in bands! :( i personally don't think one can ever go wrong with the triangle or cowbell, but my offers are always declined. sad panda.

how'd you pick up african drumming? my friends at the beach i just got back from all do african drumming, and saving their pennies to move to senegal to hone their craft...
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Does karaoke count?

We Asians take our karaoke very seriously you know...
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

madtolive wrote: thats what I always say to my friends in bands! :( i personally don't think one can ever go wrong with the triangle or cowbell, but my offers are always declined. sad panda.
:rofl:

Exactly! I figure triangle or cowbell pretty much puts me in the band without too much damage. :lol: Of course he loves me so he just nods and smiles, but I suspect that I would be officially "declined" when push came to shove. . . :wink:

madtolive wrote:how'd you pick up african drumming? my friends at the beach i just got back from all do african drumming, and saving their pennies to move to senegal to hone their craft...
It is actually sort of retarded, but I got into it from being at a two day workshop and part of the workshop had a percussion guy there who did some exercises with us. It sounded scary when he informed us that we would be playing but ended up very very addictive. I immediately was hooked when I realized that I don't think most people (which included me!) can actually suck at it. I always have had a difficult time maintaining a super-repetitive rhythm for long periods of time, but this was different. It is an amazing activity to do with others, and now I am more aware of people doing it all over. Last summer when we were in Montreal there were drummers in a lot of the parks, and people would just join walk up and join in. Really great feeling with the sound and the rhythm. Did you try it?

Wow. Are your friends seriously thinking of moving? That would be fabulous!
~Celebrate~
chokepuppy

Post by chokepuppy »

runtotorun121 wrote: I also have an African drum and a few other miscellaneous musical doo-dads.
Any Websites about African Drums and Drumming?
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

ahh, very good question.

There must be tons, but I will take a peek and see if I have the website from the instructor we had that talked about it. He had research on how the drumming has been shown to help with healing in cancer groups and such. Very interesting stuff.
~Celebrate~
BM

Post by BM »

I teach music at a community college and I write music but I'm not sure I'm a musician anymore. I spend so much time teaching the stuff it seems like I don't actually have time to make any music! And now that I ride a scooter to work I don't listen to music on the way...
standup

Post by standup »

BM wrote:I teach music at a community college and I write music but I'm not sure I'm a musician anymore.
This kind of thing confuses me. Guess I have a reeaalll broad definition of what makes a musician, and my definition fits my experience and skills.

I sight read notation like a first grader struggling with "See Spot Run". If you put a chart in front of me, I can make a part. By ear I can figure out a tune and invent a bass part pretty easily, lock in with other musicians and make music.

But I can't do some of the very basic things your students do. When friends who can sit down at a piano and sight read Bach or Chopin say they're not musicians I always look at them quizzically.
Scottycap

Post by Scottycap »

Well..I'm new to MB..but I play the drums and the bagpipes. I play the bagpipes much better than the drums (sad to admit) some people make fun of me for playing the bagpipes but I love it.

I just finished "Long way to the top" by AC/DC a few weeks ago...I never learned to play that one even though it's so simple.

I did learn to play some Van Halen (not Van Hagar) recently and I'm loving it.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Scottycap wrote:Well..I'm new to MB..but I play the drums and the bagpipes. I play the bagpipes much better than the drums (sad to admit) some people make fun of me for playing the bagpipes but I love it.

I just finished "Long way to the top" by AC/DC a few weeks ago...I never learned to play that one even though it's so simple.

you are learning those songs.... on the bagpipes? :shock:

THAT IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

I was just at the Enumclaw Highland Games and Clan Gathering... they have like 35 drum and bagpipe bands... its was pretty sweet :D
Scottycap

Post by Scottycap »

MikieTaps wrote:
Scottycap wrote:Well..I'm new to MB..but I play the drums and the bagpipes. I play the bagpipes much better than the drums (sad to admit) some people make fun of me for playing the bagpipes but I love it.

you are learning those songs.... on the bagpipes? :shock:

THAT IS FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

I was just at the Enumclaw Highland Games and Clan Gathering... they have like 35 drum and bagpipe bands... its was pretty sweet :D

I'm trying to learn as many as possible. My roomie is my judge as to how well I play those songs.

It's a lot of fun to play along with those songs that I've downloaded as MP3's!

I played with a pipe band a few weeks ago as a guest member and it was a blast! Most people there knew all the same songs (scottish/irish songs) and we played together pretty well. I've yet to ride with my kilt as of yet. Not sure when that's going to happen.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

K my serious answer now. Though I am a marathon karaoke-er... but that's beside the point.

I took piano for 10 years starting at age 3 (yes, 3) and hated most of it. All that remains is the ability to read music, like a 1st grader reads text.

But I got into Korean drumming (poongmul / pungmul / samulnori) in college, ran a Korean drum group, and have been doing it on and off since then.

Since there's some drummers on here, I'll share some sample clips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz1IiPlGa-0
(I never took myself as seriously as these guys do -- then again, they're hell of a lot tighter than any of the groups I've been part of lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ2SYeyzJso
(I never learned how to do the tassel thing, but that's on my bucket list :) )
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I had a brief and not all that productive "guy in a band" period. The label "musician" would downplay the talents of those that better applies to. Anyways, back in the '90s I played bass for a band in Texas called "My Friend the Atom." We played around Ft. Worth, Dallas and Denton and were on the micro-indie Sandwich Records label with Transona 5, Vena Cava and the 7% Solution. We were sort of footnotes to the whole North TX spacerock scene. We broke up shortly before we were supposed to start recording our full length. Apparently, our one single (only available on vinyl, ltd. edition on green vinyl) was still getting occasional radio play in Austin (KOOP) and Lawrence, KS as recently as a few years ago. FWIW, it did win "single of the year" in the local FW Weekly music awards. It also sold very well in Japan, so there's that.

I also played very briefly in the last incarnation of the band Go Metric USA!, which I know at least one MBer has heard of. By that time I could play reasonably well and had pulled together what would have been the best band of all with a couple friends. Then I moved to CA. Those friends are both in the Theater Fire, which still plays in TX and around the country. Go see 'em!

And while my bass playing skills have never been more than meager, my real talent is playing the harmonica. I just haven't done so in front of people (with the exception of drunken parties in the college days).
Last edited by ericalm on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
standup

Post by standup »

Is it possible to play "Kashmir" on bagpipes? That might really, really rock.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I've been a professional keyboardist for 30-odd years. Hence the name "Keys". Primarily blues and classic rock.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
olivemusic

Post by olivemusic »

[quote="madtolive I'm not a musician myself, yet, have just always found myself surrounded by them is all. And has anyone ever learned to play a Radiohead song that ISN'T "creep"? Thats a sorta random question, but I'm just curious. That's all.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not a musician either, but have always been surrounded also. Actually, I married a guitar player. And since Radiohead has been brought up, I just want to put it out there that I'm going to see them on Friday at Lollapalooza! Pretty excited about that!
Owl you need is love.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Yep professional composer/audio engineer/musician. It's the only thing I've ever done. I did a lot of touring in the 90's with various bands I'm sure none of you have heard of. I've owned a few recording studios and currently have a sweet gig as head composer/engineer at an advertising agency. I write music for radio and TV commercials as well as a ton of online and corporate videos. I built a brand new home studio this year and do freelance stuff for toy companies and produce audio loops for loop libraries. I also end up doing a lot of mixing of songs for various artists.

My main instrument is bass (upright and electric) but I also play a lot of guitar drums and keys (not the forum member, the instrument. :D ) and program a ton of MIDI stuff. If anyone else has a home studio we should start a cross country MB collaboration.

Dustin
Attachments
on stage a few years ago at the York Street in KY.
on stage a few years ago at the York Street in KY.
DJ_Doghouse.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

madtolive wrote:
thats what I always say to my friends in bands! :( i personally don't think one can ever go wrong with the triangle or cowbell, but my offers are always declined. sad panda.
One of the best SNL lines ever: "That.. that doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell!" Christopher Walkin just cracks me up....

I've dabbled with the guitar and played clarinet quite a long time ago, but the only instruments that I seem to play anymore are ones that plug into my PS3... I can never seem to pick the guitar up and stay with it for a long time. I need some inspiration I guess!
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

I've played in quite a few bands since i was in high school.

Nothing i am too proud of, except a comedy band that i still play with sometimes.

I play the guitar(resonator, hollow body, acoustic) bass, cello, mandolin, banjo and keyboards(if i have too, can just play chords on that).

so does anyone transport their gear on the scoot?

I wonder if i could strap my bass cab to my buddy.... that would end well.. :D
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Played Tenor Sax for 12 years, little bit of guitar and bass, got half decent at drums in my last band. Mainly I do Vocals though, sang for a couple Hardcore bands (One with Eazy) and I was in the top choir in my school which won the northwest festival of the Gold
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Ronin wrote:
madtolive wrote:
One of the best SNL lines ever: "That.. that doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell!" Christopher Walkin just cracks me up....

I've dabbled with the guitar and played clarinet quite a long time ago, but the only instruments that I seem to play anymore are ones that plug into my PS3... I can never seem to pick the guitar up and stay with it for a long time. I need some inspiration I guess!
"I got a fever baby! And the only medicine is... more cowbell!"
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I don't know that I'd consider myself a musician, but I abuse guitars and sing along.

And my favorite Radiohead song to play is 'How Can You Be Sure'. :lol: :D
Huh? What just happened?
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

I was hesitant to post because of what I thought a musician truly is, so I looked up the dictionary.com definition. Here's what it says:

mu·si·cian
–noun
1. a person who makes music a profession, esp. as a performer of music.
2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

I'm definitely not (1) and perhaps not even (2), but it is really dependent of what the definition of "skilled" is.

So I'll just say that I picked up the guitar when I was young (about 12 yrs old) but didn't do anything with it until many, many years later when I took a class in college. I was inspired to play because of a foreign song and the acoustic version of Everlong by the Foo Fighters. Eventually I was able to learn both, and I have dabbled with other pieces as well, both foreign and domestic. I bought a cheap, starter electric guitar and I have a harmonica because I wanted to learn Spokey Dokey (Cowboy Bebop anime soundtrack), but I have yet to really play it... because it's freakin' hard. I also want to learn the drums and the piano. But if I can pick my bread-and-butter musical talent, that would be my singing - I tend to favor singing Mo-Town groups (like the temptations) and crooners (e.g. Frank Sinatra, Jamie Cullum).

And I dabble with playing High and Dry by Radiohead.
butero

Post by butero »

I got my first instrument, a Fender jazz bass, nearly 20 years ago. Then I moved on to guitar, then drums. Then they all pretty much became dust collectors until a couple years ago. Since then I've bought or been given as a gift, a banjo, a theremin, a musical saw, a mandolin, and just yesterday I received a lap steel that I ordered nearly 2 months ago. I try to spend time with each of them. By the way, the only Radiohead song I can play is Creep. Sorry. But that one part, you know the part, is pretty fun.
treblecrush

Post by treblecrush »

madtolive wrote:what, no lady musicians here? we need to get crackin!

oh, yes..........i play bass mainly, but i can play at least a little bit of most instruments----play trumpet in a mardi gras band, but that's only once a year....so, yeah, bass....and lots of it :)
goodbluegrass

Post by goodbluegrass »

whats the gig with so many upright bass players on this list???
who woulda thunk it!
I have played professionally for the last 5 years...
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

Musician here... myspace.com/tropoganda
I play Violin Guitar Keys and I write a tune now and then. Check out my band on Myspace...
oh and BTW, I take a violin a guitar and my pedalboard on my buddy at once. I love it!
Scooting is ZEN....
treblecrush

Post by treblecrush »

oh, sorry......... myspace.com/treblecrush ......my hands are too small to play upright, but i do play a vintage pbass :)
Jake

Post by Jake »

I'm a self-taught guitarist. I basically got together with another guy and we both learned to play, knowing pretty much nothing from the start. We still jam, that's been going on for maybe 5 years. Never could find a drummer or bassist to play along/give structure to our stuff.

My setup is a '72 Telecaster reissue, '64 Fender Princeton amp, and a handfull of pedals (distortion, looper, wah, etc), and I also have an earley '70's Maestro Echoplex that I pull out once in a while.

Visit http://www.myspace.com/fatavril1 for a taste of some old stuff. We never update that. And comments are welcome. :)