PGO Bubu 2006

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hfs2111

PGO Bubu 2006

Post by hfs2111 »

Hi Everyone,

This is a great forum and it is wonderful having so much information available on genuine buddys.

I recently purchased a used PGO myBubu 2006 model (I live in Hawaii, where they were once widely available), it has seen better days but the mechanics work well so I am currently customizing it to fix prior dents and scratches (Black wheel fenders, white body).

I was hoping you all may be able to help me with understanding what parts from the Genuine Buddy line would fit a 2006 PGO Bubu. I am hoping to get chrome mirrors and white wall tires. I can't seem to find the mirror mm...

The tires on the BUBU are 2.15 by 10, could I put in 3.5 X10 white wall tires?

Does the same front Panel for a Buddy fit on the 2006 BUBU model?

Any differences I should know about when it comes to parts?

I am finding it difficult to find information on this specific model on the web, any tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Mahalo!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Nearly all accessories will fit since the body and frame are 100% the same. The only major difference is the 2006 models had a smaller headlight, so windshields may/may not fit unless they were designed for the smaller headlight, but many designed for the larger headlight fit too.

All body panels are interchangeable so they will work fine if you can get new ones.

Does the front tire have a disc brake? In taiwan and other countries, the bubu actually has front and back drum brakes, not until they came to the USA, they began to add the disc brake to a few bubu models around the world.

If you can provide a picture if your bike, a actual photo, not a internet photo, I can confirm if the 3.5x10 tire will fit, this is because earlier PGO bubu models used a different rim than what is used now.
hfs2111

Post by hfs2111 »

Thank you so much for your help! I have posted shots...

Are the mirrors 10mm on this model?
Attachments
front bubu 06 bw.JPG
front bubu 06 bw.JPG (33.63 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Back bubu 06.JPG
Back bubu 06.JPG (186.39 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Front Bubu 06.JPG
Front Bubu 06.JPG (170.15 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Disc Brake.JPG
Disc Brake.JPG (32.99 KiB) Viewed 322 times
hfs2111

Post by hfs2111 »

Also, any tips please on fixing broken panels?

Some of tabs and screws for the front panel to connect to the storage console are missing...not sure if I need to do a whole front panel replacement or could use some type of connector or body repair glue...

I am super excited about fixing her up, I managed to purchase her for less than 300 dollars...in running condition!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Is that a 50cc or 125cc? You posted 2 pictures of different bikes. *edit* Nevermind, I confirmed it 50cc from looking at more parts of the body.

That looks to be a tubed rim, I'm not sure if 3.5x10 tires will fit on that rim. In the USA here, we have a newer style rim which is mainly tubeless, but also works tubed.

Mirrors, 8mm mirrors will work. Any mirrors, 8mm will work as long as the right mirror is reverse threaded, if not, you can always purchase adapters, but they raise the mirrors up about a inch.

If you know nothing about auto body, I would just get in touch and see if you can purchase the body panels from a dealer in your area. If you do know how to work with auto body, you could just get bondo and apply it on cracked and damaged areas, even spot putty will work for small light areas. Once it cures, it can be sanded to be smooth. (Wear NIOSH approved respirator able to block organic vapors and dust or you'll get caner, no joking) You could then self paint it, or get it professionally done in a car body paint shop. Big cracked areas could be fixed with resin and fiberglass, with bondo on top. But you need experience to do this, not something you want to just experiment with.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Same rims I have on my 06 50. With 90/90-10 tires
hfs2111

Post by hfs2111 »

Its the same bike, I repainted it black and white from the cream yellow color. It is a 50cc.

Are there white wall tires available that will fit the 06 50 rims?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Anything 90/90-10 will fit if you can find one that is a whitewall.
hfs2111

Post by hfs2111 »

would a 3.0 x 10 white wall work? I am finding it hard to find a 90/90 10 white wall tire...

the tires on the bike now are currently tubeless...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

good luck with your bubu! I wonder why they don't have those in Hawaii anymore. At one time they were everywhere and then when I went again in 2007, they were all gone! That stunk b/c I rented one the year before and it was the most awesome 50 I ever rode (better than vespa, sym and gmax). It had 36,000 km on, had never been maintained and still ran like a champ.

would you have parts shipped from the US or Asia? If you go on the genuine website you should be able to get the tire specs. I think the little international have whitewall tires.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

peabody99 wrote:good luck with your bubu! I wonder why they don't have those in Hawaii anymore. At one time they were everywhere and then when I went again in 2007, they were all gone! That stunk b/c I rented one the year before and it was the most awesome 50 I ever rode (better than vespa, sym and gmax). It had 36,000 km on, had never been maintained and still ran like a champ.

would you have parts shipped from the US or Asia? If you go on the genuine website you should be able to get the tire specs. I think the little international have whitewall tires.
Technically if it's 50cc, there isnt much maintenance done since the oil burns with the gasoline, no oil changes besides gear oil, and occasional fuel/air mixture adjustment.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

well that explains it. The scooter rentals in Hawaii are typically 50's since you do not need an endorsement for that size. I would have preferred something more powerful for the mountains, but the next size up in scooter was a Yamama Morphus. When I told the scooter rental place I had a 125 "bubu" they were suprised, they said they had never seen those before. I think there could be a good market in small frames up to 250's, both in rentals and sales. But it just is not happening. a missed biz oppurtunity IMO.