What does this part do?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

katiejonezy

What does this part do?

Post by katiejonezy »

It's a 2007 Genuine Buddy 50
I left town for a week, and before I did the buddy was working perfectly! It didn't rain at all while I was gone.
I get back and the electric start won't work. After a few kicks, I'm able to get it started. BUT there is a buzzing noise coming from inside the leg shield.
Gas gauge doesn't work. Blinkers or Hazards don't work, but the buzzing noise almost completely stops when I turn them on. Horn works but it's really week.
When I give it a little gas the noise will quit. As long as the RPMs are up, the noise doesn't happen, but still no blinker or hazards and the horn is very week.

I charged the batter for a day just in case it was the problem, it didn't help.
Had the battery tested at Battery Plus, and they said the batter was in healthy condition.

Took the front panel off again tonight and finally figured out where the noise was coming from...

What is that thing. It's pretty much right below where the key ignition is at. To the right of it, the screw on the very right side of the picture is where the horn is mounted. I can't find a parts catalog for the buddy online. I really don't know if it is broken or if something else is loose or broke to make that thing make noise. Suggestions?
2007 Buddy 50
2005 Stella
1973 Pontiac Catalina
1973 El Dorado
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Here's a link to the service manual:

http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy50_service_manual.pdf

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
apetit

Post by apetit »

I think that is the part that makes the clicking sounds when the turn signals or hazards are on. When I did the dead light mod, I remember hearing the clicks from it.
katiejonezy

Post by katiejonezy »

djelliott wrote:Here's a link to the service manual:

Dustin
I want a PARTS MANUAL. I have a parts and service manual for my Stella, I'd like to see both for the buddy!
2007 Buddy 50
2005 Stella
1973 Pontiac Catalina
1973 El Dorado
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I looked at your picture and the wiring diagram. Looks like your starting relay might be shorting out. I'll keep looking.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

Yeah that's the thing that makes the turn signal click noise.. Not sure why its buzzing!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

apetit wrote:I think that is the part that makes the clicking sounds when the turn signals or hazards are on. When I did the dead light mod, I remember hearing the clicks from it.
The signal flasher has different colored wires going to it. Good guess though.

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

djelliott wrote:
apetit wrote:I think that is the part that makes the clicking sounds when the turn signals or hazards are on. When I did the dead light mod, I remember hearing the clicks from it.

DJE
It is the thing that makes the click noise..

EDIT: no worries dj :P
Last edited by jmsmith802 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

djelliott wrote:

DJE
Screeeeeetch!!!! I'm wrong. The color on my laptop was off. When I looked at it on my other monitor I could see the one wire was Blue and White not Green and white. Sorry, My bad. That IS the signal flaser

DJE :oops:
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Failure to start with a good battery does sound like a relay problem and they are known to make funny noises when they go bad.
katiejonezy

Post by katiejonezy »

SO, would the signal flasher also be causing the blinkers to not work and the electric start to not work. I doubt it, but I'm not an expert. In that wiring diagram, what is there leading up to the signal flasher that could cause the electric start, blinkers, hazards, and gas gauge, to quit?
2007 Buddy 50
2005 Stella
1973 Pontiac Catalina
1973 El Dorado
katiejonezy

Post by katiejonezy »

katiejonezy wrote:SO, would the signal flasher also be causing the blinkers to not work and the electric start to not work. I doubt it, but I'm not an expert. In that wiring diagram, what is there leading up to the signal flasher that could cause the electric start, blinkers, hazards, and gas gauge, to quit?

I'm trying to figure out the wiring diagram. So the gas gauge also has the Blue & white wire to it. Hmmmm
2007 Buddy 50
2005 Stella
1973 Pontiac Catalina
1973 El Dorado
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

katiejonezy wrote:

Dustin
I want a PARTS MANUAL. I have a parts and service manual for my Stella, I'd like to see both for the buddy!
I have a parts manual. It doesn't have much of a key, but shows all the parts. I don't remember where I got it. I'll try to host it somewhere and link...
ScootingInTheRain
Location: Just North of Seattle, Just South of Mulletsylvania

Post by ScootingInTheRain »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
katiejonezy wrote:

Dustin
I have a parts manual. It doesn't have much of a key, but shows all the parts. I don't remember where I got it. I'll try to host it somewhere and link...
Here's a link:
<a href=http://donpfeifer.googlepages.com/BUDDY ... .pdf>Parts Manual</a>
katiejonezy

Post by katiejonezy »

ScootingInTheRain wrote:
ScootingInTheRain wrote:
katiejonezy wrote: I want a PARTS MANUAL. I have a parts and service manual for my Stella, I'd like to see both for the buddy!
Here's a link:
<a href=http://donpfeifer.googlepages.com/BUDDY ... .pdf>Parts Manual</a>
Thanks!
2007 Buddy 50
2005 Stella
1973 Pontiac Catalina
1973 El Dorado
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I'm going to stick with starting relay as a place to begin your troubleshooting. Based on the wiring diagram it is directly connected to your battery as well as your starting switch and headlamp switch. It also appears to share a ground with your lights. If it's shorting out it could cause a slow drain of power from your battery by being constantly stuck in the on position. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
katiejonezy

Post by katiejonezy »

djelliott wrote:I'm going to stick with starting relay as a place to begin your troubleshooting. Based on the wiring diagram it is directly connected to your battery as well as your starting switch and headlamp switch. It also appears to share a ground with your lights. If it's shorting out it could cause a slow drain of power from your battery by being constantly stuck in the on position. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Dustin

Where would I find the relay on the bike, and how can I test it?
2007 Buddy 50
2005 Stella
1973 Pontiac Catalina
1973 El Dorado
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

katiejonezy wrote:
djelliott wrote:I'm going to stick with starting relay as a place to begin your troubleshooting. Based on the wiring diagram it is directly connected to your battery as well as your starting switch and headlamp switch. It also appears to share a ground with your lights. If it's shorting out it could cause a slow drain of power from your battery by being constantly stuck in the on position. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Dustin

Where would I find the relay on the bike, and how can I test it?
Read page 96 in the repair manual for how to check the starting relay, main switch, and brake switch. It's pretty easy. I'm still trying to find the relay.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
bikebuda

Post by bikebuda »

your battery is dead

the turn signals wont work with a dead battery they just make a eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise out of the turn signal relay (pictured)

step 1 cancle turn signal operation
#2 kick start bike
#3 ride bike until battery is charged
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

bikebuda wrote:your battery is dead

the turn signals wont work with a dead battery they just make a eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise out of the turn signal relay (pictured)

step 1 cancle turn signal operation
#2 kick start bike
#3 ride bike until battery is charged
Read the previous posts. She already had the battery check out and was told it's fine.

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

I think this is the part. Looks like the picture in the repair manual. See if you can do a visual inspection.

I found it at this sight:

http://www.scootusa.com/213.htm

Remember, I'm not saying for sure that yours is bad, I'm just saying it's a place to begin troubleshooting.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

That's the warp field generator. If the plasma relays aren't fluxed properly it can cause the generator to decouple. That can result in a deterioration of the dilithium crystals, restricting you to emergency impulse power only and limiting power to auxiliary systems.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I have had the same problem and it still sounds like the battery. On my scoot replaceing the battery was the only resolution. Small ATV/motorcycle/scooter batteries seem to be tempermental. Thats why many scoot shops sell battery tenders.

Although I can't figure out why it was tested as good. The sound is the clicker starving for power. Reving the engine seems to solve that but doesn't produce enough juice to power the lights. Scooters can produce enough power to replace the power used but they can't recharge a fully dead battery. At least mine can't.

My two cents, good luck

Or it might be the dilithium crystals, or a plasma relay. great stuff number one.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bigbropgo wrote: Small ATV/motorcycle/scooter batteries seem to be tempermental.
Very true. Battery tenders should come with every new scoot. They could just tell people they're plug-in hybrids. "See? Gets NINETY miles per gallon!"
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:That's the warp field generator. If the plasma relays aren't fluxed properly it can cause the generator to decouple. That can result in a deterioration of the dilithium crystals, restricting you to emergency impulse power only and limiting power to auxiliary systems.
Tsk tsk. Don't you know it's powered by a Fusion Reactor using a Tylium Energizer? You don't know a Tylium Energizer when you see one? Sheesh.