Gas Gauge Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Martha

Gas Gauge Question

Post by Martha »

I was just wondering if my Buddy's gas gage reads a little funny or if it is like it is supposed to be. I have noticed that the last quarter of the tank (the "red zone") drops like a rock. It will take only a couple of miles from the start of the red zone until it is touching the little pin that shows completely empty. But, when you open the tank and look inside, there is actually about 3 inches of gas left. Thoughts? Is this the Buddy's way of warning us to get gas real soon? Thanks.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I've definitely read this before here and I'm sure others will chime in, even though mine doesn't behave that way.

It's just a mechanical float in the gas tank that is giving you the reading, and while it can be adjusted, I think it's like most vehicles- you just kind of have to learn how it acts. I've never had a car where the gas tank went perfectly smoothly down from F to E. It's always been quicker at one end.
BadWolf

Post by BadWolf »

I ould just consider that your reserve. That way once it hits E you know you have some time to find hegas station
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Mine is the exact same way. I've rideen nearly 15 miles with the gas gauge empty, and it was still running. The needle moves SO slowly until the 'red zone'.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It's a little misleading, but that's not really a gas gauge, it's your tachometer. The people who made the owner's manual made the America Dial face as well.

When your tach won't show that the motor is spinning, that means that you need more gas.

Also, it's backwards.... The red line should be on the other end...

:goofy:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Why risk it? If you get to the red zone, and you're in a position to get gas, then get gas. If you're planning a long ride, fill up before you go even if you have half a tank.

With only 1.4 (or so) gallon capacity, there's not a lot of margin for error even at 100mpg, so seems wise to me to play it safe when you get close to the bottom.

You'll get a feel for how it goes on your own bike over time and know when you can push it a couple more miles before you tank up.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I go about 90-100 miles before I am right above E for empty, I think mine read almost accurate. Still looks like I have plently of gas for another 20-30 miles, but like lobsterman said, why risk it, just go get gas. Or else just get gas every 80 miles to be safe.
armacham

Post by armacham »

I always fill up right about at the redzone and I've never put more than a gallon in, so there is almost half a gallon left at that point for me.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

armacham wrote:I always fill up right about at the redzone and I've never put more than a gallon in, so there is almost half a gallon left at that point for me.
Agree. When it's in the red and I think I'm running on fumes, I only manage to fill up a gallon. That means there's a whole lot left in the tank still.
armacham

Post by armacham »

k1dude wrote: Agree. When it's in the red and I think I'm running on fumes, I only manage to fill up a gallon. That means there's a whole lot left in the tank still.
It makes a lot of sense because even though I know I still have gas left my brain gets switched to 'oh shit oh shit gotta get gas' mode.
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

heh, couldn't be too hard to push, someone test it out. :P
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

k1dude wrote:When it's in the red and I think I'm running on fumes, I only manage to fill up a gallon. That means there's a whole lot left in the tank still.
Of course, that is if you fill it all the way to the top and you consider less than half a gallon "a whole lot". Yes, that may get you another 20 to 40 miles, depending on real mileage and how much you really have left. Or it may not.

Me, I'd prefer not to ever have to walk my scooter to a gas station, so I fill up when it's getting close and I pass a gas station.

I've gotten close to the edge once or twice coming home, knowing that there's two gas stations in walking distance from my house, but then I just have to get gas as soon as I leave the house next time.

I'm not preachin' or judgin' here, if you wanna run yer tank dry, that there be yer bidness.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Bob

Post by Bob »

My Buddy has to be pegging the empty pin in order to put in a gallon.
sotied

Post by sotied »

There's another thread here about running out of gas, but I'm terrified of the eventuality.

I say eventuality because right now Scootle is in the basement with a wiff of gas in her tank. I saw the needle go into the red yesterday then I stopped for a meal and forgot to stop and give her a meal too. That was about 10 miles from home.

As I turned onto my street I looked at the needle and saw it was BURIED against the pin. Turning around and going to the gas station seemed prudent, but I was 50 yards from the house and I THOUGHT I had gas in the lawnmower cans.

I didn't and now I think I'll have to take the long walk/scooter push to the station if it's sunny tomorrow.

Station is mostly downhill except for a little 200 yard dirt uphill near my house. Then it's only about .65 of a mile away. But still...it's gonna blow if Scootle gasps for gas tomorrow.

Jeff
sthiers

Post by sthiers »

I've gone 22+ miles after it was pegged on E. I am going to put some gas in a clean soda bottle and run it empty some day. Just so I know, but I feel 20 is easily do-able after E.
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

sthiers wrote:I am going to put some gas in a clean soda bottle and run it empty some day.
You might want to check to make sure that the bottle you put it in is resistant to gasoline; some plastics react with certain organic compounds. My brother once filled up a 2-liter soda bottle and when the gas attendant saw this, he told him that if he knew my brother was dispensing gasoline into the bottle, he would've never sold him the gas.
sthiers

Post by sthiers »

I thought of that, I would do it from my gas can at home. How I fill up anyway. And only when it was close to runnning out so the gas didn't sit in the bottle very long.
Bob

Post by Bob »

When you fill up from empty, how much gas do you typically put in? how about when you go 22 miles beyond the pegging, how much fits in then?
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

BeetleGoose wrote:
sthiers wrote:I am going to put some gas in a clean soda bottle and run it empty some day.
You might want to check to make sure that the bottle you put it in is resistant to gasoline; some plastics react with certain organic compounds. My brother once filled up a 2-liter soda bottle and when the gas attendant saw this, he told him that if he knew my brother was dispensing gasoline into the bottle, he would've never sold him the gas.
Not a good idea....Was your bro smokin' a cig while dispensing the gas too??? Just kidding...
I doubt the attendant was concerned about the containing being resistant because EVERY SINGLE GAS PUMP IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA carries a warning that it's illegal to dispense gas into any container not intended for gasoline. I believe that contain must also be RED.
It's just not a good idea to carry/store gas in a tightly closed container.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sthiers wrote:I've gone 22+ miles after it was pegged on E. I am going to put some gas in a clean soda bottle and run it empty some day. Just so I know, but I feel 20 is easily do-able after E.
There are small metal fuel containers made for this sort of thing. You can get 'em cheap online.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…