Are Vespas for Snobs?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MarkTur

Are Vespas for Snobs?

Post by MarkTur »

I'm getting that feeling...they cost twice as much as other comparable scooters...but I'm not quite sure why. I've only been into scoots for about 3 months now. But jeez, I don't feel welcome with my Buddy when I crack open a mag called "Scootering".

Why don't they change the name of "Scootering" magazine to "England's Vintage Vespas"? I picked up an issue without looking through it...paid $12.95 + tax...and nothing modern at all...in fact, pretty snooty if you ask me.

I wish Scoot! would cover more other brands (ours) or maybe someone can start a "Buddy" mag???

How about posting links to Buddy websites since there's no dedicated publications?

PS. Please pardon my ignorance about the Vespas...I wouldn't ask if I didn't want to know. :)
Cya!
Mark Turkel
http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com
http://www.BeGreenSaveTheWorld.com

Genuine Buddy 125cc
Powder Blue - (Yes, I picked "that" color cause I likes it!)

Like someone else said "Saving Gas and Sticking it to the Man!"
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Sure, some Vespa owners are snobs, they think they are an elite race of beings. However, we're all people. I'm sure there are pretty snobby modern non-Vespa folks... If you pay twice as much for a scoot that does the same thing (regardless of brand), sure you may have a chip on your shoulder. Any way you slice it, it comes down to the individual.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

EriC is DEFINATELY a Vespa Snob... :wink: Its the only way to explain how jealous he is of my rapidly growing post count.
Last edited by MikieTaps on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Snobs are everywhere. Its not just Vespas. There are a few Vespa snobs, at least one on this forum.
Then there are post snobs, demonstrated by MTs announcement of his high post count. :roll:
I myself am a snob. I used to try to be a victim, but never could really pull it off, so now I'm looking to become a snob. Perhaps a Sunset Orange Buddy Snob. It is the best you know, regardless of all the special logos and loud pronouncements of the red buddy bunch. Losers. :P
Last edited by DennisD on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BadWolf

Re: Are Vespas for Snobs?

Post by BadWolf »

MarkTur wrote:I'm getting that feeling...they cost twice as much as other comparable scooters...but I'm not quite sure why. I've only been into scoots for about 3 months now. But jeez, I don't feel welcome with my Buddy when I crack open a mag called "Scootering".

Why don't they change the name of "Scootering" magazine to "England's Vintage Vespas"? I picked up an issue without looking through it...paid $12.95 + tax...and nothing modern at all...in fact, pretty snooty if you ask me.

I wish Scoot! would cover more other brands (ours) or maybe someone can start a "Buddy" mag???

How about posting links to Buddy websites since there's no dedicated publications?

PS. Please pardon my ignorance about the Vespas...I wouldn't ask if I didn't want to know. :)

I mean in relation to scootering magazine scoot has a ton more modern bikes. Scootering does some nice reviews of modern bikes sometimes but that magazine was created for the sole purpose of show casing vintage builds and giving people tips on how to keep their bikes goin. There is a mag called TAG or twist and go that is geared to modern scooters nowadays. most scooter shops will sell this magazine
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

Its mostly a perception thing, heck if I could justify the cost I would own a vespa in a heart beat, and I have no complaints with my Buddy 125, Vespas are cool, and the vintage ones are really cool, like any vintage two wheeler, just flip through a few photos of the pre-unit construction motorcycles from the 1950's and back, its all about the history of two wheel cool. and modern scoots although cool don't have the history, it does not make them bad but different, and if the buddy and it's decendents are around fifty years from now our 50's, 125's, and 150's will be totally retro and very cool till then we must just enjoy our scoots no matter their origin for we are the trend setters.
"Social graces, got any"
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

DennisD wrote:regardless of all the special logos and loud pronouncements of the red buddy bunch. Losers. :P

Still no Red buddies in the CRASH thread. Eat dirt Orange Buddy. :P *knock knock*

I haven't met any Scooter snobs... of course I haven't met any Vespa owners either. ;)
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

7eregrine wrote:
DennisD wrote:regardless of all the special logos and loud pronouncements of the red buddy bunch. Losers. :P

Still no Red buddies in the CRASH thread. Eat dirt Orange Buddy. :P *knock knock*

I haven't met any Scooter snobs... of course I haven't met any Vespa owners either. ;)

:rofl:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

MarkTur wrote:Why don't they change the name of "Scootering" magazine to "England's Vintage Vespas"?
Scootering's been around for 25 or 30 years, it's the only scooter magazine that's ever lasted that long. they can call it whatever they want.

They have a sister publication called TAG (Twist and Go).

Scoot! is very Genuine- and modern-scooter friendly, but the kind of people who buy scooter magazines just want to see a lot of Vespas and custom bikes and rally pictures, so they give their audience what they want.

Scooter World is mostly about modern twist-and-gos.

Chinese bike owners post about how snobby Genuine riders are.
Some Vespa people are snobby, some aren't. Some of the people that have been riding modern Vespas for two years are even snobbier, but most scooterists of any type are a lot of fun.

Here's my full rant on that:
viewtopic.php?t=3829#42391

I felt like an outcast when I got into scootering 12 years ago, so I started my own magazine. If I made friends, anyone can.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

DennisD wrote: Perhaps a Sunset Orange Buddy Snob. It is the best you know, regardless of all the special logos and loud pronouncements of the red buddy bunch. Losers. :P
LOL Sounds like the perfect name for an Orange scooter club... S.O.B.S Dennis, you may be a snob, but I don't think you've hit being a S.O.B. quite yet! :P :D :P
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

There are snobs everywhere about everything.

No, Vespa owners are not categorically snobs. Not at all. Many of them are the most supportive, knowledgeable, and friendliest people you'll ever meet. But there are a few that give the rest of them a bad rep.

Just like with anything else... :wink:
Huh? What just happened?
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

If you check the modernvespa site, you will find that many Vespa owners are also Buddy owners. I've heard only good comments about Buddys on that site. I've been to events that were essentially all Vespa with my Buddy and felt welcomed. Sometimes the vintage Vespa owners get a little snobbish even with modern Vespa owners.

Talk about snobs, I belong to a car club that is not only a specific make (MG) but a specific model, "The TC Motoring Guild". Even other "T" types are frowned upon other than the TA and TB both made back in the 1930's.
maribell

Post by maribell »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Sure, some Vespa owners are snobs, they think they are an elite race of beings. However, we're all people. I'm sure there are pretty snobby modern non-Vespa folks... If you pay twice as much for a scoot that does the same thing (regardless of brand), sure you may have a chip on your shoulder. Any way you slice it, it comes down to the individual.
The modern scooter club I am with met at the same place as the vintage vespa club. They told us not so nicely to find a new hangout. We just wanted to ride. And we wanted them to ride too. :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MarkTur wrote:I'm getting that feeling...they cost twice as much as other comparable scooters...but I'm not quite sure why.
It's not that Vespas are for snobs, it's that some Vespa owners are snobs. Some Vespa owners own popular Genuine scooter forums. Well, one does. :)

A lot of people question whether a Vespa is worth the expense. I'll go to the not-always-apt car analogy here. A Mercedes coupe may not outperform a Toyota, but may cost much more. People seldom walk around asking, "Why do people drive Mercedes? They cost more than other cars and don't go any faster!" Part of the premium for buying a Vespa is in better materials, build quality. It's got a steel body (this has its plusses and minuses). It's pretty obvious when sitting next to a Buddy that much more time went into designing and building a Vespa. A Vespa will retain its value much better than any other new scooter. Used ET4s in good shape will often sell for the price of a new Buddy or more. And, on average, it's going to last longer simply because it's harder to total a Vespa. I've seen totaled Buddys with damage that would not have totaled a Vespa, though it would have cost a hell of a lot to fix. This is the double-edged sword of the steel body. Tough, but expensive to repair.

Are Vespa owners also paying for style and for the brand? Yeah, there is some of that, too. But I don't think that's anything shameful. For many of us, our years of pining away for a scooter were years spent lusting after Vespas. So there's a nostalgic/emotional payoff for some of us as well.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I've run into very few real Vespa snobs. Most of them are just like you and me, except for their enlarged brain capacity and extraordinary physical endurance. I have run into a few ignorant Vespa owners but they're usually new to scootering (don't get defensive newbies) and can't fathom that another scooter might be a better value than their precious Vespa. They paid more so they must have a better scooter. As they gain more experience, most begin to appreciate other brands as well.

But, you know what? For the most part, they do have a better scooter. Anyone can park a Buddy next to a Vespa and, after a few minutes of casual comparison, come to the conclusion that the Buddy is a fine little scoot and a great value but the Vespa is almost jewel-like in its build quality and attention to detail. Sure, Piaggio cuts corners just like Ducati. But, overall, Vespas are really very nice machines. Not perfect, but if you appreciate them, nothing else currently on the market will do.

Are they worth the price premium? That's a personal decision. Even though I don't own a Vespa, I could justify paying the extra money.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Are Vespas for Snobs?

Hey!!!!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

MikieTaps wrote:Eris is DEFINATELY a Vespa Snob... :wink: Its the only way to explain how jealous he is of my rapidly growing post count.
Posting snob :lol:
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
Dee

Post by Dee »

I own a 2005 Vespa ET4 150cc. I am totaly new to scooters. I bought a Vespa because that is what I was attracted to, probably because I am old, and that is what a "classic" scooter was, and the ET4 looks like the classice scooters (read as Vespa). Now, are they better? I will let the experts decide that, but I have seen the Buddy and I think it is every bit as "cute" as the Vespa, and perhaps if I had been aware of Buddys before I paid as much for a used Vespa as I could have gotten a new Buddy for, I would have bought the Buddy.

I bought for "cute" and style, and nostalgia, and childhood. Not for a steel body, power, linkage (whatever that is), suspension, (you get the idea). I am not a Vespa snob, just fell in love with scooters, and for me, at my age, that was a Vespa.

Glad to see new well made scooters of any brand, make or model that are safe and relatively maintanence free. Oh, and cute.

Dee
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dee wrote:I bought a Vespa because that is what I was attracted to, probably because I am old, and that is what a "classic" scooter was, and the ET4 looks like the classice scooters (read as Vespa).
This is sort of the "nut" here. I think that even with the current boom, when most people go into a dealer for the first time, what they're looking for is something vaguely Vespa-like in appearance if not an actual Vespa. And as much as we want to dissect all the differences, for many new scooter buyers, they're all kind of the same thing.

Dee, you had me confused for a second because you used to have that avatar on MV under your name there! :)
I've started seeing an ET the same color as yours in the Valley (N. Hollywood) recently. Is it yours?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dee

Post by Dee »

Ah, yes, same Avatar, same ET4.

No, I live in Lake Elsinore. Wish there were more scooters out this way. Someday, I may have to spend MORE money on a hitch receiver and a versa-hauler so I can go to some group rides. Does it ever end? $$$$

Dee
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Ronin wrote:
DennisD wrote: Perhaps a Sunset Orange Buddy Snob. It is the best you know, regardless of all the special logos and loud pronouncements of the red buddy bunch. Losers. :P
LOL Sounds like the perfect name for an Orange scooter club... S.O.B.S Dennis, you may be a snob, but I don't think you've hit being a S.O.B. quite yet! :P :D :P
Some would disagree. :lol:
Kentiki

Similar snob problems in other realms

Post by Kentiki »

My wife and I own two MINI Coopers, and the same type of snobbery is sometimes felt from owners of original Minis. I love the old and new ones, so I have no issue with either being "better." But whenever they give me the "oh, yours isn't a REAL MINI" attitude, I just remind them that yeah, yours is old, but MINE ACTUALLY RUNS! And every day, too!

Ken :lol:
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Vespas are for snobs. So are Harleys. And Ducatis. The worst offenders of all are Buddy owners! "OOOOOH!! I LOVE my Buddy! It gets a million miles to tha gallon and nothing EVER goes wrong with it!" You can't find anyone who will say anything bad about them.

The difference is Buddy owners don't say anything bad about owners of other rides (most of the time). :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

MikieTaps wrote:Eris is DEFINATELY a Vespa Snob... :wink: Its the only way to explain how jealous he is of my rapidly growing post count.
Speaking of post count. I just took a look and you're almost in second place.

I'm still deep in 19th spot but climbing fast.

Eric has everyone demolished by at least 2.5 times.

And BadWolf is posting an average of 7+ per day in his quest to be tops...unfortunately he only joined on August 4 so he's got a ways to go.

What was the question? Oh. Yes, some Vespa people are snobs but so are some people who drive Hyundais. There's no accounting for what's going to motivate a person to exclude others or to behave like an idiot.

I would venture to guess that I'm a Buddy snob when I pull up next to the guy who's all stoked about his Roketa. And I definitely put on airs when I'm around Vino's.

And actually, I'm snobby around Vespa's too. But that's because if we started out with the same bag of money, mine would still have $3000 in it and we'd be riding scooters that are similar in performance and build quality.

So I'd be able to take that money and buy some parts and then wait a couple months for delivery.

Or I could take a jet to Seattle and take Mikie out to lunch at the all-we-can-eat buffet. I'm thinking together we could put a few places out of business.

What? Who's rambling? Oh, sorry.

Jeff
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Oh, did you mean me? I thought you meant her.

I am a snob about a lot of things, I'll admit that (uh, "extreme posting diarrhea" isn't one of them, Mikie). But I love scootering so much that I'm nothing but happy that there are so many quality options available at different price points and that buyers now have a variety of options from which to choose. This isn't a one scooter fits all world. Hell, I'm pretty sure I need at least 5 or so.
sotied wrote:And actually, I'm snobby around Vespa's too. But that's because if we started out with the same bag of money, mine would still have $3000 in it and we'd be riding scooters that are similar in performance and build quality.
$3000? Did you rob a liquor store on your Buddy? The price difference between a Vespa LX and a Buddy 150 is $1300.
MPA

Post by MPA »

maribell wrote:
The modern scooter club I am with met at the same place as the vintage vespa club. They told us not so nicely to find a new hangout. We just wanted to ride. And we wanted them to ride too. :(
I'd have told them to stuff it regarding finding a new location :)
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

I'd love to have a Vespa! If someone wants to give me a 2008 Vespa GTS 250, I'd take it. I'd ride it. I'd love it. :D I bought a Buddy in the hopes I would get some bang for my buck.

I own two Toyotas and not Lexus for the same reason as I own a Buddy. I want a great vehicle, I can live without super.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, I think it' fair to say that Vespas *are* better than Buddies, though part of the price difference is certainly going to the brand name.

But there's something to the brand name, too, to be honest. Piaggio's been around for many years and has dealers and mechanics all over the world, parts are easy to get, the bikes use standardized engines across the range, etc.

Sadly, their U.S. operation sucks, so it doesn't help us much here. But the truth is, the Vespas will probably keep their value longer, and the international body of knowldge and experience will help keep them on the road longer than the Buddy. PGO and Genuine just don't have the customer base or international infrastructure that Piaggio has. I think Genuine/Scooterworks will do a good job of supporting the Buddy for years to come, but farther down the road, the parts support is always going to be better for the Vespa. Eventually, Scooterworks will have a better supply of modern vespa/piaggio parts than Piaggio USA (If PUSA is even still around.)
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

In my town, San Luis Obispo, CA, there are few real Vespa snobs. They are a respectable bunch that always show up to bike night on their vintage rides and some look like thugs and others like euros. These Vespa snobs don't bother me at all.

There is a new breed that has quickly surpassed the old in the last few months. These are the snobs who just happen to ride Vespas. The people who traded in their BMWs and Lotus's for Vespas because they are the most expensive looking scooters they can find. I presume these people don't actually care about saving gas, they just love to cool factor of it... These new Vespa riding snobs I cannot stand!!!! (and they drive too f'n slow)

For the record, I'll keep my Buddy any day over an LX150. I love the Buddy Buzz at 60 MPH. If I were to ever enter the realm of 250cc I might look at Vespas, but would still probably go Taiwan.
Scooting is ZEN....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tysonviolin wrote:In my town, San Luis Obispo, CA, there are few real Vespa snobs. They are a respectable bunch that always show up to bike night on their vintage rides and some look like thugs and others like euros. These Vespa snobs don't bother me at all.

There is a new breed that has quickly surpassed the old in the last few months. These are the snobs who just happen to ride Vespas. The people who traded in their BMWs and Lotus's for Vespas because they are the most expensive looking scooters they can find. I presume these people don't actually care about saving gas, they just love to cool factor of it... These new Vespa riding snobs I cannot stand!!!! (and they drive too f'n slow)
I have to say, the overwhelming majority of people who bought scooters prior to 2008, and many of those who did this year, did not do so to save gas. Also, if someone owns a Lotus, they can probably afford a $6k GTS without having to trade their car in.

You're making all kinds of assumptions about people based on what they look like and how fast they ride. It sounds as if you're stereotyping them as much as they may be riders of other scooters. Isn't that snobbery as well?

I'm willing to bet that if I took the time to search ModernBuddy, I could find many more anti-Vespa statements and stereotyping of Vespa riders than snobby statements about Buddys and Buddy riders on ModernVespa.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

add to subject: [NBS] thats, No Buddy Snobbery
Last edited by kazoo on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Are Vespas for snobs?

YES!

and to quote the Elm City Scooter Club http://www.elmcityscooterclub.com/index ... e&Itemid=1

YOUR SCOOTER SUCKS

Now I am such a snob that I changed my avitar!

But seriously...everyone thinks that their scooter is the best...mine just happen to be.

Vintage don't like TNG. Lammy vs. Vespa, Mods vs. Rockers. On Burgman USA one guy even thought that people bought the Executive model to "impress" other people. 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of people don't know that a Burgman 650 is a scooter...much less the difference between a standard and an Ex.

I ride a Buddy, Vintage and Maxi Scooters. I like talking, forums working on all of them.

Ride what you like...like what you ride.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

(OT) Buddy Raton, no more MST3K bots?! :shock: (/OT)
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

polianarchy wrote:(OT) Buddy Raton, no more MST3K bots?! :shock: (/OT)
And yes...I do have the elusive Season 1 on DVD!
Attachments
franks TV.jpg
franks TV.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Who really gives a rat's butt what scooter is best? I pick on Ericalm because he has a Vespa LX150.

It comes down to, if you drive 2 cars from LA to SF at the speed limit which one will make it? The Toyota or the Lotus?

The answer is both. The utility is the same. The aesthetics are different.

If someone wants to spend $2K more than someone else, let them. It will take that much longer to get a return on their purchase (saving gas). BTW a scooter is NOT an investment regardless of what anyone says. It is a depreciating asset.

BTW Ericalm, the best use for a LX is a "rat bike". :P :rofl:
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

ericalm wrote:
Tysonviolin wrote:In my town, San Luis Obispo, CA, there are few real Vespa snobs. They are a respectable bunch that always show up to bike night on their vintage rides and some look like thugs and others like euros. These Vespa snobs don't bother me at all.

I have to say, the overwhelming majority of people who bought scooters prior to 2008, and many of those who did this year, did not do so to save gas. Also, if someone owns a Lotus, they can probably afford a $6k GTS without having to trade their car in.

You're making all kinds of assumptions about people based on what they look like and how fast they ride. It sounds as if you're stereotyping them as much as they may be riders of other scooters. Isn't that snobbery as well?

I'm willing to bet that if I took the time to search ModernBuddy, I could find many more anti-Vespa statements and stereotyping of Vespa riders than snobby statements about Buddys and Buddy riders on ModernVespa.
Why can I not make assumed statements and generalizations? Try it sometime, it's fun...
Scooting is ZEN....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tysonviolin wrote:Why can I not make assumed statements and generalizations? Try it sometime, it's fun...
You can make them all you want. I'm just saying that making these sorts in the course of accusing others of snobbery is the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Some of my best friends ride Vespas :oops:
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

ericalm wrote:
Tysonviolin wrote:Why can I not make assumed statements and generalizations? Try it sometime, it's fun...
You can make them all you want. I'm just saying that making these sorts in the course of accusing others of snobbery is the pot calling the kettle black, so to speak.
I don't think I'm serious enough to be a black kettle...
Scooting is ZEN....
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

illnoise wrote:
MarkTur wrote:Why don't they change the name of "Scootering" magazine to "England's Vintage Vespas"?
Scootering's been around for 25 or 30 years, it's the only scooter magazine that's ever lasted that long. they can call it whatever they want.

They have a sister publication called TAG (Twist and Go).

Scoot! is very Genuine- and modern-scooter friendly, but the kind of people who buy scooter magazines just want to see a lot of Vespas and custom bikes and rally pictures, so they give their audience what they want.

Scooter World is mostly about modern twist-and-gos.

Chinese bike owners post about how snobby Genuine riders are.
Some Vespa people are snobby, some aren't. Some of the people that have been riding modern Vespas for two years are even snobbier, but most scooterists of any type are a lot of fun.

Here's my full rant on that:
viewtopic.php?t=3829#42391

I felt like an outcast when I got into scootering 12 years ago, so I started my own magazine. If I made friends, anyone can.

Bb
I like TAG. I think for us Twist-n-Go types, it's the best magazine. Unfortunately it's not an American magazine, meaning they have reviews of all these cool scooters that never makes it here (although sometimes they do, after quite a while - welcome Yamaha T-Max!). Wait, did I say "unfortunate"? I guess I meant "cool" :)

I have to admit, so far all American mags are either a) overly deferential to the old school crowd (kind of scooter version of "low rider" magazines, it seems to me); and/or 2) so dependent on their advertiser base that all their reviews are unabashedly uncritical and "wow, it's a great ride!" etc. I don't blame the publishers for trying to stay in black, but those two things don't make me feel like buying their magazines.

Good thing is that nowadays we have online scooter magazines that have a modern focus (or at least balance), and don't have to worry about pissing off scooter companies so they can write unbiased reviews. Long live 2strokebuzz and other cool sites! :) We should get a list of people's favorite online scooter news sites - 2strokebuzz is certainly one of mine (despite the name :) )
BeetleGoose

Post by BeetleGoose »

Snobs are everywhere, whether you talk about Vespas, Buddies, HD TVs, coffee, restaurants, cars, etcetera. I say, stick with what you like and enjoy the heck out of it. Sure, I thought at first "Why not go with the Vespa LX150? It's only about a thousand more, plus you get all the cool things associated with it." Monocoque steel frame, classic design and simplicity, and of course, the Vespa name. But then I thought, as a novice at scootering, start with something that has adequate performance, easy to handle (read: lighter weight), and won't hurt your feelings when you drop it. So I chose the Buddy.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

beelzebubbles wrote:Long live 2strokebuzz and other cool sites! :) We should get a list of people's favorite online scooter news sites - 2strokebuzz is certainly one of mine (despite the name :) )
Wow, thanks a bunch, that really means a lot to me.

I've thought many times about adding advertising but it just really does affect what you can say. I've probably pissed off anyone who would advertise with me anyway. On the other hand, after doing it for ten years, it'd be nice to make some money on it. : ) Hopefully I can expand scootmoto.com and turn that into a cash machine. : )

I love Scoot! but it's not for everyone, neither is 2SB, for sure. luckily there's a wide variety of info sources out there. I really like the people who run Scooter World and Scoot!, but I imagine they'd be the first to admit they've had to make some compromises because of advertising. I'm totally at leisure to make up any BS I want, ha.

Bb.

Bb.
Tenchi

The difference between Buddy Owners and Vespa Owners is.....

Post by Tenchi »

Vespa owners hang out at Starbucks. Buddy owners hang at Dunkin' Donuts....any questions? :lol:
jmazza

Re: The difference between Buddy Owners and Vespa Owners is.

Post by jmazza »

Tenchi wrote:Vespa owners hang out at Starbucks. Buddy owners hang at Dunkin' Donuts....any questions? :lol:
:rofl:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tenchi wrote:Vespa owners hang out at Starbucks. Buddy owners hang at Dunkin' Donuts....any questions? :lol:
No Krispy Creme in San Jose?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I HATE Dunkin' Donuts! They put the cream and sugar in the coffee for you, but not in the amounts I want. I have ridden my Vespa to Starbux.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Ummm- Buddy owners hang out at local coffee shops that outlived the Starbutts that opened stores next door.
http://blog.al.com/bblalock/2008/07/luc ... bucks.html
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

LisaLisa wrote: Ummm- Buddy owners hang out at local coffee shops that outlived the Starbutts that opened stores next door.
http://blog.al.com/bblalock/2008/07/luc ... bucks.html
This is true. Lucy's is on my daily route. Que pasa LisaLisa?
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

See you monday.
louie

Post by louie »

LisaLisa wrote:See you monday.
yes but for today it's strawberry cupcakes.

there's no snob like a coffee shop snob.