Okay, so who is actually selling these, and where?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jess

Okay, so who is actually selling these, and where?

Post by jess »

I know that SCOMO has the Buddy in stock on the East Coast, and I know that Sportique Scooters in Colorado is selling the Buddy as well. Who else? Any sightings on the West Coast?
jess

Post by jess »

Add Scooterville in Minnesota to that list.
pdxvespa

Post by pdxvespa »

I saw several yesterday [8 June 06] at the mechanics' shop at Vespa Portland, here in Portland, Oregon-- a row of several new Buddy 125's, mostly the orange model. They're not listed on the VespaPDX website, and I don't know yet if they're at the retail show room.

One of the mechanics has a Genuine Stella as his daily driver (pink!)-- so he's maybe already biased in favor of the Buddy, but he gave it a thumbs up.

--Deborah

p.s. Jess, you kook! Did you tell Rachel you were starting another scooter forum...? :!:
streetlightpoet

Post by streetlightpoet »

Nod @ Fayette Moped here in KY is looking at picking up Genuine, but needs to clear the floor first so he has a place to put some more scooters, he has already amassed quite the collection :D

I was telling him today that I hoped he got some in soon so I could test one out.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

streetlightpoet wrote:Nod @ Fayette Moped here in KY is looking at picking up Genuine, but needs to clear the floor first so he has a place to put some more scooters, he has already amassed quite the collection :D

I was telling him today that I hoped he got some in soon so I could test one out.
Hey Streelighpoet,

Welcome to the MB! I'm the same jrsjr as the BBS, except Jess makes me behave myself here. :wink:

I think you'll be happy with the Buddy. I know you've had your trails and tribulations with your little Kymco. I think the Buddy will suit you perfectly. I just hope they turn out to be super reliable.
ellen

Post by ellen »

ScooterCentrale (Vespa Hartford) in Connecticut has the Pink, Black and Orange in stock. Sat on them. But didnt get a chance to try them out yet.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

In Chattanooga TN, Scenic City Scooters has the Buddy in stock. Well, they did a week and a half ago when I was there dropping off my Stella for service.
-Mike

We could plan a murder, or start a religion -JM
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

ellen wrote:ScooterCentrale (Vespa Hartford) in Connecticut has the Pink, Black and Orange in stock.

That's where I saw them also. And nope, I'm really not thrilled with the looks of the plastic, but I'm most interested in the reports I've heard & read so far about handling and speed. I try to have an open mind when it comes to a good product at a reasonable price. It sounds so far like the Buddy might fit that bill. It'll be interesting to see how it does.

~ Shellee
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

MikeS wrote:In Chattanooga TN, Scenic City Scooters has the Buddy in stock. Well, they did a week and a half ago when I was there dropping off my Stella for service.

Hey Mike, ya think the Buddy would qualify as that new cruiser you want? Auto, 70 mph, lower seat (maybe). I would recommend the pink but I think that might offend you.... :lol: :evil:
esoognom

Post by esoognom »

I'll have to check Vespa Milwaukee. They sell Stellas, so they'll probably sell Buddys, too.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Since the 125 is a 4-stroke, can I assume it'll be available in California? I may start calling local dealers to see if anyone plans on carrying them, but I don't think anyone's even selling the Stellas in this area yet.
LDB

Excellent dealer experience

Post by LDB »

Scootersmith in Houston has the Buddy in stock. It's a great shop in the Heights and the folks in there are very knowledgeable and completely into scooters. It's a great place to visit to talk scooters and their prices are very competitive and best of all they don't add in a ton of extra charges and fees. A+ shop.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
paige

Post by paige »

Just talked to Barry at San Francisco Scooter Centre, he is getting a group on June 16. There are a couple of orange ones not spoken for. :roll: Might need to check one out, for scooter website evaluation purposes.
jaded

Post by jaded »

paige wrote:Just talked to Barry at San Francisco Scooter Centre, he is getting a group on June 16. There are a couple of orange ones not spoken for. :roll: Might need to check one out, for scooter website evaluation purposes.
Yes, but is orange the fastest color? :roll:

I know, I know, did it really need to be started over here too? :twisted:
jess

Post by jess »

jaded wrote:Yes, but is orange the fastest color? :roll:

I know, I know, did it really need to be started over here too? :twisted:
Well, since none of us actually own one yet... ;)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jess wrote:yet... :wink:
Heh.
jess

Post by jess »

jrsjr wrote:Heh.
We've put one on reserve through Barry at SF Scooter Centre. Orange. Heh.
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

Ducati of Seattle has them too.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Scooter for Who???

Post by jrsjr »

jess wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Heh.
We've put one on reserve through Barry at SF Scooter Centre. Orange.
I totally predict that you will not be disappointed. So, whose scooter is this going to be, hmmm? :wink:
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Orange is definitely the coolest, I can already tell that. I would rather be on the coolest scooter as opposed to the fastest.
jess

Re: Scooter for Who???

Post by jess »

jrsjr wrote:I totally predict that you will not be disappointed. So, whose scooter is this going to be, hmmm? :wink:
It's going to be mostly my wife's, as she wants to keep a scooter at home in Oakland and a scooter in San Francisco, where her best friend lives (and scoots). Plus, she's a member of San Francisco Scooter Girls, and attends weekly meetings there. The Bay Bridge is a bit intimidating for her on the LX, so going back and forth is not an everyday kind of option.

Myself, I would like to have a scooter around that I can park on the street when I run errands and not worry so much about it getting knocked over. The price and composition of the Buddy is such that we won't feel too bad giving it a bit of abuse. Worst case scenario, I break out the Krylon.

So it'll really be both of ours, more or less. And thus, I've had to talk her out of getting a pink one.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jess wrote:So it'll really be both of ours, more or less. And thus, I've had to talk her out of getting a pink one.
I hope the pink isn't nearly as Peopt Bismol ugly as it looks on the Genuine site. The photos there look as if they were all the same colored scoot, recolored in Photoshop.
I say "I hope" not for myself, but because availability in a nice shade of pink always helps sways my wife towards a purchase. :wink:
jess

Post by jess »

ericalm wrote:I hope the pink isn't nearly as Peopt Bismol ugly as it looks on the Genuine site
Well, here's a picture of the pink ones being assembled at PGO:

Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Shellee wrote:
ellen wrote:ScooterCentrale (Vespa Hartford) in Connecticut has the Pink, Black and Orange in stock.

That's where I saw them also. And nope, I'm really not thrilled with the looks of the plastic, but I'm most interested in the reports I've heard & read so far about handling and speed. I try to have an open mind when it comes to a good product at a reasonable price. It sounds so far like the Buddy might fit that bill. It'll be interesting to see how it does.

~ Shellee

Anyone interested in going to Vespa of Hartford in Plainville, CT can get $100 off (any scooter they carry) if I send you a referral card. Just get me a message and I'd be happy to oblige.
ellen

Post by ellen »

Beamie wrote:Anyone interested in going to Vespa of Hartford in Plainville, CT can get $100 off (any scooter they carry) if I send you a referral card. Just get me a message and I'd be happy to oblige.
Me too!!! :rofl:

Seriously though.. Scooter Centrale/Vespa Hartford seems to be selling a lot of Buddy's.
I wonder if other dealers are seeing this.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

ericalm wrote: I hope the pink isn't nearly as Peopt Bismol ugly as it looks on the Genuine site. The photos there look as if they were all the same colored scoot, recolored in Photoshop.
I say "I hope" not for myself, but because availability in a nice shade of pink always helps sways my wife towards a purchase. :wink:
It is more like Barbie pink. It looks better in person than on the Genuine site, if you like pink.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

ellen wrote: Seriously though.. Scooter Centrale/Vespa Hartford seems to be selling a lot of Buddy's.
I wonder if other dealers are seeing this.
I contacted other NE dealers,; I was refferred back to Hartford.
Apparently other dealers in the area have not jumped on the bandwagon.
dahuffy

Got a Pink One For My 27th Anniversary

Post by dahuffy »

I'm soo excited!! This is my first scooter and it's a PINK BUDDY 125.

I haven't ridden it yet, waiting for my better half to take me to an open parking lot so I can try it out. Planning on taking a class next month. :D
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
LDB

Post by LDB »

I went by Scootersmith again and had a really nice visit with them. What a great shop. They are the nicest people you could ask for. They are selling Buddys about as fast as they can get allotment and selling them at a fair price without a bunch of bogus fees and charges.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
Beamie

Re: Got a Pink One For My 27th Anniversary

Post by Beamie »

dahuffy wrote:I'm soo excited!! This is my first scooter and it's a PINK BUDDY 125.

I haven't ridden it yet, waiting for my better half to take me to an open parking lot so I can try it out. Planning on taking a class next month. :D
My wife drove for the first time this morning.....big parking lot.....I heard a "YIPPIE".
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have emailed Genuine and asked about L.A./So Cal dealerships. No reply yet, but eagerly waiting...
jess

Re: Got a Pink One For My 27th Anniversary

Post by jess »

dahuffy wrote:I'm soo excited!! This is my first scooter and it's a PINK BUDDY 125.

Congratulations, dahuffy!
smorris

Post by smorris »

I saw my fisrt Buddy 125 today. It was the pink one that Phil Waters from POC had ridden around Lake Erie last week in the Lake Erie Loop (as linked somewhere else on here.) Michelle from the POC shop was riding it for the MSF Experienced Rider Course.

I certainly was pink! I think someone got it right when they said Barbie Pink. Looks like a lot of the toys around the house here at home.

Anyway, the Buddy seemed to move right along, and was very maneuverable through the course. It seems like a nice scooter, although I think I'd get black.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
ellen

Post by ellen »

Beamie wrote:I contacted other NE dealers,; I was refferred back to Hartford. Apparently other dealers in the area have not jumped on the bandwagon.
Well, you made a great choice in dealers. Doug, Julie, Sue, Jamie, Dave and the gang in Hartford are great.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I forgot to mention where I got mine at:
Atomic Brown Scooters in Oklahoma City. Wonderful people to deal with. Very helpful and they know their scoots! :)
dahuffy

Turn signals

Post by dahuffy »

Just a quick question for any one who knows more than I (which isn't that tough),... :oops:
According to the owners manual, the front turn signals are the lights in the lower fairing(?), if this is the case, how come they don't work? The signals that came on our scooter (and the ones that actually work) are just under the hand grips on both sides of the handle bars. :cry:
ALSO, what good is the headlight on/off switch (right side controls) if the headlight is on all the time anyway? I have yet to figure out how to shut it off without turning the engine off. :cry:
I'm not sure if these are rhetorical questions or not, but I figured "what the heck, some one else may know these answers"?! :?:

Kevin - Dahuffy's other half.
ellen

Re: Turn signals

Post by ellen »

dahuffy wrote:Just a quick question for any one who knows more than I (which isn't that tough),... :oops:

As you can tell by the Engrish in the manual, it was written in Taiwan by PGO. So it hasn't been edited for the US market.

According to the owners manual, the front turn signals are the lights in the lower fairing(?), if this is the case, how come they don't work? The signals that came on our scooter (and the ones that actually work) are just under the hand grips on both sides of the handle bars. :cry:

DOT requires the signals to be a certain distance apart. (Think its 16" or so). That's why most scooters in the US (Even Vespa, Honda and Yamaha) have those funky dongle signals added on.

ALSO, what good is the headlight on/off switch (right side controls) if the headlight is on all the time anyway? I have yet to figure out how to shut it off without turning the engine off. :cry:

DOT also requires that all motorcycles and scooters have their headlights on constantly. Ala day time running lights. This is a good thing... So PGO rigged them so they can't be turned off.
I flipped that headlight switch a few times. It does absolutely nothing. Guess it was just easier leaving the switch there.

mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

I bought my Black Buddy 125 at Garners Classic Scooters in Cleburne, TX. Tell Randolph I sent you - he's one of the best.

Mike
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Thank you Ellen. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ericalm wrote:I have emailed Genuine and asked about L.A./So Cal dealerships. No reply yet, but eagerly waiting...
I got a reply from the gentleman at Genuine responsible for "Dealer Development," Brett Ratner. Maybe this moonlighting explains why X-Men: The Last Stand was such a piece of junk. More likely, someone else with the same name.

ANYWAY, no dealers lined up in SoCal/LA area yet. He actually asked for some suggestions for possible locations. I emphasized that demand for Buddies could be huge given the few options available in what's probably the most scooter-friendly major metropolitan area in the country.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Scooter World Kansas City has them here in the heartland. They had a decent sized order (maybe 7 or 8) and they are down to 3. They weren't in stock very long.
- Bryce
robotribe

Post by robotribe »

ericalm wrote:
ericalm wrote:I have emailed Genuine and asked about L.A./So Cal dealerships. No reply yet, but eagerly waiting...
I got a reply from the gentleman at Genuine responsible for "Dealer Development," Brett Ratner. Maybe this moonlighting explains why X-Men: The Last Stand was such a piece of junk. More likely, someone else with the same name.

ANYWAY, no dealers lined up in SoCal/LA area yet. He actually asked for some suggestions for possible locations. I emphasized that demand for Buddies could be huge given the few options available in what's probably the most scooter-friendly major metropolitan area in the country.
Thanks for inquiring. I was going to do the same. Did you mention NoHo scooters in North Hollywood? Their rep seems solid.

I agree that these could be very popular in SoCal. Set up shop near any of the MANY college campuses in the SoCal area and you could see some serious business, IMHO, especially when you consider our gasoline prices are typically higher here in CA than most of the other states.

I disagree about X3 being junk. It was "acceptable" at best, and mildly "stinky" at worst. But I digress and the naming coincidence and your reference is no less entertaining. :clap:
Scooter t-shirts that don't suck

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - H. Simpson
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

robotribe wrote: Thanks for inquiring. I was going to do the same. Did you mention NoHo scooters in North Hollywood? Their rep seems solid.

I agree that these could be very popular in SoCal. Set up shop near any of the MANY college campuses in the SoCal area and you could see some serious business, IMHO, especially when you consider our gasoline prices are typically higher here in CA than most of the other states.

I disagree about X3 being junk. It was "acceptable" at best, and mildly "stinky" at worst. But I digress and the naming coincidence and your reference is no less entertaining. :clap:
I did mention NoHo, mentioned they carried Kymco and TNGs, and mentioned their proximity to Vespa Sherman Oaks. Honestly, I keep waiting for someone with deep pockets to get wise and open a scooter superstore in a great location (Melrose, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, WeHo, Burbank).

And... well there are a wide range of opinions on X3, from "horrible" to "acceptable." Okay, not such a wide range, really. :)
addicted

Post by addicted »

There's at least one Genuine Scooters Buddy 125cc dealer in NJ:

www.haddonfieldscooters.com
Haddonfield Scooters
134 N. Haddon Ave
Haddonfield, NJ 08033
Take care,
Gary
Anthony Hinegardner

Post by Anthony Hinegardner »

We just picked my wife up a pretty pink buddy today I just put 50 miles on it and it is very very nice :D .We picked ours up at Extreme scooters in Bel air maryland "harford county" across from the harford mall . I cant believe how fast this little buger goes along with that it stops on a dime we are very happy !!!!!!
DeadPatroit

In Michigan

Post by DeadPatroit »

Scoot around Town in Ypsilanti(ypsitucky) Michigan has them. They also restore classic scoots and have a fairly wide line of bikes available from Genuine, Kymco, TGB, and hop up classic cars as well. I called them about three days ago and they said yup, they got them, but that the buddy was a tiny scoot, actually not much bigger than a spree. Any comments?
real friends don't let friends use Windows.
jess

Post by jess »

I haven't been on a Spree in about 20 years (or at least it seems that long) so I can't tell you, size-wize, how it compares, but I can tell you that it's bigger than a Honda Metropolitan, a bit smaller than a Vespa LX, and (I think) about the same size as a Yamaha Vino 125. It's small, but it's also light, maneuverable, and fun to ride.
Chasen

Cimarron Valley Cycle and Small Engine Company

Post by Chasen »

Bill Bradley at CVC in Stillwater Oklahoma is selling these things. I bought mine for $2600 straight up. Was it a bad deal??
Turning Heads, Saving Money and Having Fun!
mlstephens

Re: Cimarron Valley Cycle and Small Engine Company

Post by mlstephens »

Chasen wrote:Bill Bradley at CVC in Stillwater Oklahoma is selling these things. I bought mine for $2600 straight up. Was it a bad deal??
If that includes tax, title, license then you got a fantastic deal.
FormerStella

Cleveland, Ohio Buddies

Post by FormerStella »

Pride of Cleveland Scooters is selling the Buddy here in Northeast Ohio. Phil there is great!

jk