Anyone Riding While Pregnant? :o

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

runtotorun121

Anyone Riding While Pregnant? :o

Post by runtotorun121 »

Yes, I tried not to say 'pregnant' in the thread subject line, but I didn't want a vague title that might be an unpleasant surprise for anyone who actually read it. :shock:

I just bought some raffle tickets to try to perk me up a little, but after tomorrow I will be off my scooter for at least two weeks, and if things go as we hope then it will be nine months-ish. :? I must admit that I have tried to rationalize that it will be 'perfectly okay' to ride when you are pregnant, and there is no way I could stay off my scooter for that long. Surely it would be okay to just run to the store. . .or what about that back road to the town across the way?. . .or nice little neighborhoods would be okay. . .right??? *sigh* And then I think about that one time I might hit a slick spot, or run into some newly scattered gravel, or have soccer mom pull out from a side street in front of me, or meet the "texter" head-on. :shock: So now I am thinking it would be a bad idea.

Or would it? I mean, really. NINE MONTHS??? Miss the entire fall riding season??? *sigh*
~Celebrate~
addictionriot

Post by addictionriot »

Too bad you couldnt plan it to be over the winter ;)

Congrats btw
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Yes CONGRATS! The risk of riding is always there so you have to decide when riding is ok for you. I mean lets think about the fact that after 9 months you will now have a little one(s) :twisted: who are totally dependent on you and what happens if you get in an accident then?
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Big congratulations!

Man, that's a tough one.

I read up on it a little, and it seems like doctors don't recommend riding in the first trimester because of vibration risk, or close to term just because the physical risks in a crash are higher. Maybe set a couple days in the middle of your term to take one ride in conditions that are as safe as possible. Just to have something to look forward to in the middle of the wait…

Newslinky's right, the danger doesn't stop after 9 months, sadly. I made a lot of changes in my safety habits and rode a lot less after my daughter was born, and it's a lot harder to go on spontaneous rides, or to find time to do road trips or rallies. We still ride a decent amount, but we hardly ever get to ride together. I can't bike commute anymore because I have to drop her off at daycare. I'm counting the months until my daughter grows into her helmet. She's 4.5 now. When she starts school next year, I'll be able to ride to work again. : )

The good news is that kids are awesome.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Hey Congratulations!

Yeah, that is a tough one. I had a co-worker who was really into riding four-wheelers off road and her doc let her ride through part of her pregnancy but I don't know that I really think that was all that wise. :shock: I'd stick with your doc's recommendation.

Sounds like you need to think about your scooting future though....might be a good excuse to get a Stella with a sidecar. :D A couple that belongs to the local scooter club have one and their two little kids LOVE riding in it.

My friend and his wife are Harley folks and she was pregnant with their son until his birth last month. She was bumbing that she couldn't ride too...but one day I'm sitting at a coffee shop downtown and they rode by, him riding with her very pregnant on back! On a Road King no less!!! Little Jake came out just fine but when you burp him he makes this funny noise like a Harley accelerating.

I offered to put some miles on her Sportster for her but it never quite worked out. I guess he is seriously thinking about a sidecar for a few years in the future.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

No I am not.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Tenchi

Not on a scoot...

Post by Tenchi »

But my wife was about 7 months along when we took a 100 mile round trip ride on my Gold Wing from San Jose to Monterrey, CA. She's still alive and kicking....and so is my 25 year old daughter, none the worst for wear...except she's still at home.... :D Just avoid the potholes and pepperoni pizzas (old wive's tale).
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

oh congrats! you're preggers now :lol:

i know its hard to hear that you CAN'T ride your scoot in the next 9 months or so, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep YOU and your little one safe.

if i were to see a pregnant woman on a scoot out on the road, it sure will definitely turn my head, but in my mind, i will think "what the hell is she thinking? she must not love her baby" but the hell to what people think.

if scooting is a MUST and you'll die if you dont' ride, you should ride in an empty lot or just stroll around the neighborhood where less cars are out, just my opinion.

and again! congrats on having a baby on the way!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Tenchi's got a point, I'm sure people do it all the time, especially in other cultures. It just comes down to the amount of risk you want to take. Odds are high it wouldn't be a problem, but most of us probably wouldn't risk it, because we couldn't live with ourselves if something happened.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Sell it cuz your riding days are over. Can't put a car seat on a scooter! :P
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Black, Red, Orange, Green, or Blue.

Maybe its name will be predicated on its color?
zuman

Pregnant

Post by zuman »

My wife was chief flight nurse for a helicopter medical program and flew until she was 7-1/2 months pregnant with our first. With our second, she didn't fly after the first three months.
With the first, she felt that she could continue her life as "normal" for as long as she was physically able. For the second, she wasn't just concerned about the unborn child, but for the baby we already had at home.
As far as scooting goes, our position is that we have responsibility to others as well as ourselves, so we won't push the envelope. You might want to consider stopping when you feel you're doing that.
Tenchi

Well, we were all young and foolish once....

Post by Tenchi »

....if my daughter was in an extreme family way and her hubbie was about to take her on a 100 mile motorcycle trip, I'd probably tell him he was nuts and to get a Prius and to grow up.....oh, how the years change our attitudes. :( Of course, I'd still take my wife of 28 years on a 100 mile trip, even today....wouldn't need such a big bike as the Gold Wing to move her mass now..... :)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

My sister won't ride with me now that she is toting a little alien in her stomach. :( Dang that motherly instinct dealio!!!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

sbebenelli wrote:Sell it cuz your riding days are over. Can't put a car seat on a scooter! :P
Not true at all!

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=3820

It's not a joke, it's real. Things are different in Europe and Asia.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Congrats, Runtotorun121!!! I know a good childcare that would be convenient for you (my wife and I toured it Thursday).

Well, my wife is 14 weeks pregnant and doesn't currently ride. We've talked about her getting a Buddy, but agreed to put it off until after January when the baby comes. Maybe she'll never get into riding, and whatever her decision, that's okay. So, it's easy for us, because she's not missing out on something she enjoys.

I have been thinking a lot about this with the coming of our first child. With that in mind, I would like to comment on some of the discussion here. I'm not calling anyone out and I would never question somebody's decision to ride or not to ride, but I do want to put in my two cents worth.

Riding for me is more than a hobby or a passtime. It's a lifestyle. I commute on my bike. I go for rides to restore my mental health after a stressful day. I ride rather than drive my 1980 320i BMW because 1) it's more fun, and 2) I save money. It's allowed us to have essentially survive with one car for everyday use. (The BMW only comes out when I need to borrow her car for work and she need to drive something or - most often - because I feel the need to start it once a week and drive it to keep it in running order).

I know a little bit about losing a loved one. We all do, but my story is that my first wife died after 14 months of marriage from ovarian cancer. She was diagnosed and gone in six months. Your life can turn on a dime, which is a lesson I'm glad I learned before taking up riding. (In general, I'm glad I'm doing this at 40, not 20, because I'd be a heck of alot more restless).

Riding is dangerous. How dangerous? From the research I've read, it's about as dangerous as riding a road bicycle, which is to say, more dangerous than driving a car and less dangerous than riding a larger displacement motorcycle. (Search if you are interested, because there are plenty of threads about this). If you want to be really safe, take up flying, because it's a heck of a lot safer than climbing behind the wheel of your SUV.

Also, when riding, there are a lot of things that decrease your chances of getting into an accident. The MSF has good information on this, and although I'm taking the course later this year, I've read it enough to know that drinking is at the top of the list.

I guess my point is, if having a child would change your riding habits or even your decision whether or not to ride, get off the bike now. You need to ride every day (and go through life in general) knowing that today could be your last day on this earth. Generally if you are careful in what you do and don't take uneeded risks, you are going to be alright. It's the things you don't worry about or have no way of anticipating that tend to get you in end.

Being pregnant is a special circumstance. Follow your doctor's advice and do what you are comfortable with. I think a lot of people would offer the advice to stay off the bike if there is something going on in your life that would be a distraction. If worrying about your baby is a distraction, than by all means park your Buddy.
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

Whew, I'm glad it's still legal to decide for ourselves whether we wish to do "dangerous" activities or not.... As a woman, a mother, a scooter rider, and a former hunter/jumper rider (that's riding a horse over jumps of varying size), it irritates me no end to think that I would be judged a bad mother who doesn't care about her child because of my activities!

I'll keep my soapbox speaking limited to the above, but boy, I could go on!

Use your best judgement based on your doctors advice and your own physical health. Ride, don't ride - either way, be happy and congrats!
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KCScooterDude wrote:I guess my point is, if having a child would change your riding habits or even your decision whether or not to ride, get off the bike now. You need to ride every day (and go through life in general) knowing that today could be your last day on this earth.
You don't think that there are circumstances or life changes under which individuals might want to reassess their responsibilities and the risks that they choose to take?

I don't have kids but can't say that my attitudes about riding would be the same if I did. I just don't know. Yeah, riding is part of my lifestyle—an important part, obviously—but it's not my life. I think there are times when it's appropriate or necessary to change your lifestyle to suit changes in your life. Having kids, I assume, results in all sorts of lifestyle changes. Or should. I don't see why the possibility of such a change would mean someone shouldn't be scootering now.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lanni

Post by lanni »

I was wondering the same thing. I just passed my driving test a couple of weeks ago to move up from the permit to endorsement and got to drive one whole day. :) I hadn't even thought of the constant vibration...only the larger bumps. I am sad to miss out on the riding time (and go back to paying so much for gas), but I'll get back on it next year I suppose.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:shock: Congrats runtotorun121!!!

Have you taken a look at the most excellent Scooter Diva forums? Ellen, the site admin of http://www.scooterdiva.com/ was a ModBud moderator, and her website is chock full of female-oriented scooter information. I've found the forums to be particularly useful.
ModBud #442
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

sbebenelli wrote:Sell it cuz your riding days are over. Can't put a car seat on a scooter! :P
Yes you can! I found one on the sidewalk one day and attached it with cable ties. I rode it around for a laugh and to watch the faces on other motorist. The sad thing is that only a few even noticed or cared. It did draw laugh from a gang of power rangers on the corner.

Sorry for the crummy picture, it didn't stay on the scooter long.
Attachments
052508_18051.jpg
052508_18051.jpg (83.45 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Last edited by JettaKnight on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

="ericalmYou don't think that there are circumstances or life changes under which individuals might want to reassess their responsibilities and the risks that they choose to take?

I don't have kids but can't say that my attitudes about riding would be the same if I did. I just don't know. Yeah, riding is part of my lifestyle—an important part, obviously—but it's not my life. I think there are times when it's appropriate or necessary to change your lifestyle to suit changes in your life. Having kids, I assume, results in all sorts of lifestyle changes. Or should. I don't see why the possibility of such a change would mean someone shouldn't be scootering now.
A qualified, I agree. I do think it's a personal decision and can see somebody reassessing their decision to ride. Riding is always a personal decision that one has to make for his or her self. Riding while pregnant is certainly something to consider because the health and wellbeing of your baby is also at risk.

My point is, I've seen death up close and I know you can die young. I have seen and experienced what it does to loved ones when somebody dies (rather) suddenly and in the prime of their lives. I took all this into consideration when I began riding.

I would never do anything that I thought would be an undo risk and lead to serious injury or death. For me, whether it's children or siblings or spouses or parents or even close friends, family is family and I wouldn't want anyone to suffer from a decision I made. And at the end of the day, I'm selfish - I don't want to die or even spend some time in the hospital.

My first wife's death had a profound effect on me, which almost goes without saying. It taught me that you can go through life avoiding things that might cause you harm. But in the end you can't run away from that one thing that's going to get you and you certainly can't run away from death. It's better to enjoy life, not put up with the things in life you can't stand (job, that family member that sucks all the energy out of you, etc).

As for risk, for me, I draw the line somewhere between mountain climbing and jumping out of an airplane. Unless you are Army Airborne, I see no need to jump out of an airplane. Skydivers would tell me different. I can see the value of mountain climbing, but I'm not convinced it's a worthwhile pursuit given the risks involved.

I've always wanted to take up flying. I still think someday I will pull the trigger and go out and get my pilot's license. Over the year's it's been something I've dreamed and read and researched a lot. With flying, it's all about managing risks. Flying can be perfectly safe one minute, and unbelievably dangerous the next. You need to know the risk and have the ability (which is no small thing) to ground yourself when conditions are not right for flying.

I think with riding, you can manage the risks to make it nearly as safe as getting behind the wheel of your car. Sure, you can never overcome the fact that a bike doesn't have the protection of an automobile, but you can do the things that reduce risk or injury.

At the end of the day, the circumstances in one's life might change from time to time, but the risks of riding are always the same. It is my personal decision that there is a maximum amount of risk that I will accept regardless of the circumstances in my life. For me, that maximum risk level is at a level that I consider acceptable for whatever the circumstances in my life.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Good post, KC.

Having a family changes things, a lot. I always wanted to try skydiving, just to see what it's like once. My reasoning was that it was risky, but if something went wrong, at least I'd die quickly and interestingly. After I got married, I decided I didn't want to accept that risk. Having a kid now, I'd never even think about it.

Scootering isn't such a clear-cut case to me, but I definitely think differently about it now.

Bb.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

illnoise wrote:Good post, KC.

Having a family changes things, a lot. I always wanted to try skydiving, just to see what it's like once. My reasoning was that it was risky, but if something went wrong, at least I'd die quickly and interestingly. After I got married, I decided I didn't want to accept that risk. Having a kid now, I'd never even think about it.

Scootering isn't such a clear-cut case to me, but I definitely think differently about it now.

Bb.
I do accept that there is danger going out into the world on two wheels, there's no doubt about it. I just don't think the level of risk is unmanagable. If the Hurt Report is to be believed, I also believe riding is not significantly more dangerous than getting behind the wheel of a car if you manage those risks.

I bet I'm not the only one who got an e-mail from somebody (my boss (who is a SCCA racer) and my brother-in-law) when the news broke that Andrea Pininfarina had been killed in a Vespa crash. Well, go to google or yahoo news and enter fatal auto crash and see how many of the results are from the hundreds of auto accidents reported just today.
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

JettaKnight:

Now all you have to do is figure out how to use cable ties to get that keg on the back of your scooter :D [/b]
coffeekittie

Post by coffeekittie »

KCSscooterDude pretty much summed up my thoughts on the subject at hand. I have done many many on-the-edge things and been as careful and skilled as I could. I also worked for years in a hospital/emergency room, seeing first-hand the many injuries and illnesses that occur during daily life. Safety and health is not a sure bet, ever, no matter what you do or avoid doing. Taking care and being smart (and having some luck) are about the only ways to try to stay ok, maybe :)
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
- Albert Schweitzer

See me and my cool cats at www.justcatshotel.com
www.olygeek.com
Drumwoulf

Re: Anyone Riding While Pregnant? :o

Post by Drumwoulf »

No, I never rode when pregnant! Don't intend to either! :evil:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200