[NBR] For $3500 I got a (slightly) bigger scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

[NBR] For $3500 I got a (slightly) bigger scooter

Post by jrsjr »

...which looks like this. I'm a traitor, I know. I still think the sub-$3000 new scooter market is the most interesting, vibrant, dynamic, growing market on the face of the earth. My problem is that it seems like everywhere I want to go is a long ways away. I got on Craig's List and saw that I could get a used Honda Silverwing 600 in near perfect condition with a nice topcase for about the same OTD price as a Buddy SI and that was it for me.

I still love you guys (well, most of you guys :roll: ) and I hope you still love me.
Attachments
SilverwingSmall.jpg
SilverwingSmall.jpg (170.71 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
sotied

Post by sotied »

Is that the new BarkaScooter? Where's the pet carrier? Where's the cute color? Where's the Prima pipe?

WAHHHHHHH!!!!!

:cry:
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Not to worry!!! this is a SILVER wing, not a silly GOLD wing. :D

If you were wondering... a SILVER wing is the Scooter that thinks it is a Motorcycle.... and the GOLD wing is the Motorcycle that thinks it is a SUV. :P
sotied

Post by sotied »

*need to bump this so it travels down with the other Goldwing post*

BUMP!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

sotied wrote:*need to bump this so it travels down with the other Goldwing post*

BUMP!

Woah there!!

Goldwings and Silverwings are very different creatures, as are their riders. :wink:

John's a particularly rad guy, and I think the Silverwing sounds like it was a bargain. :D
Huh? What just happened?
sotied

Post by sotied »

AxeYrCat wrote:
sotied wrote:*need to bump this so it travels down with the other Goldwing post*

BUMP!

Woah there!!

Goldwings and Silverwings are very different creatures, as are their riders. :wink:

John's a particularly rad guy, and I think the Silverwing sounds like it was a bargain. :D
My bad. I get a little tunnel-visioned when I try to comprehend anything outside of the Buddy universe.

Wing this, wing that. Might be a bucket of sauceless hot-wings from KFC for all I know. I just know it's not a Tangerine Buddy 125, one of the most powerful and attractive vehicles known to all of man- and womankind.

You know what comes close though? The dark pink buddy. I think their signature is RBC for some reason. But I still know them all as slow and dark pink.

8)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

If you were wondering... a SILVER wing is the Scooter that thinks it is a Motorcycle.... and the GOLD wing is the Motorcycle that thinks it is a SUV.
Yeah, I often refer to Gold Wing's as 2-wheeled Winnabago's.
Drumwoulf

Re: [NBR] For $3500 I got a (slightly) bigger scooter

Post by Drumwoulf »

jrsjr wrote:...which looks like this. I'm a traitor, I know. I still think the sub-$3000 new scooter market is the most interesting, vibrant, dynamic, growing market on the face of the earth. My problem is that it seems like everywhere I want to go is a long ways away. I got on Craig's List and saw that I could get a used Honda Silverwing 600 in near perfect condition with a nice topcase for about the same OTD price as a Buddy SI and that was it for me.

I still love you guys (well, most of you guys :roll: ) and I hope you still love me.
Good luck with it. Be sure and practice your tight U-turns with it...
About 35 MPG's I do hear... (-Iffen you take it easy, that is...) :twisted:

Anyway, I never really loved you.
And now I don't love yer scoot either!
So there..! :P
(But I'm sure you'll enjoy the Wing anyway...) :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

AxeYrCat wrote:

BUMP!

Woah there!!

:D
No, they ain't. Ones just got more $$ than the other, thas all... :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
MAJensen

Post by MAJensen »

I want one too!! I love Silverwings :D sounds like you gota great deal on it..
ringdoc

Post by ringdoc »

to each his own, I understand that, but I cant see a big scooter, why not a motorcycle?? but then I dont also understand 3 wheeled motorcycles, or the mp3 scooter. looks like I dont understand a lot of stuff hahahahaha
rick in kc
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Congrats on the new scoot, John! It seems like a pretty great deal as well.

From everything I've read these are really great machines. We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb. :P
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

jmazza wrote: We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb.
Ohhh, jmazza, I'm just not going to comment... nope, keepin the comment to myself... but I have just found a new addition to my sig line! :twisted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronin_000/

"We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb." - jmazza
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Ronin wrote:
jmazza wrote: We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb.
Ohhh, jmazza, I'm just not going to comment... nope, keepin the comment to myself... but I have just found a new addition to my sig line! :twisted:
Excellent!!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ringdoc wrote:...why not a motorcycle??
Well, in 30 years of riding, I'd had 9 motorcycles and only 4 scooters, so I figure I have some catching up to do. :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:...

Welcome to the world of the Maxiscooter!

That sounds like an excellent score! I almost picked up an Swing before purchasing the Burgman Ex (the true Goldwing of scooters!)

Now you just need to join another forum!
http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/index.php
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Sweet! I call shotgun. :wink:
ModBud #442
GFridrich3

Post by GFridrich3 »

Who did you have to kill for that deal? If I had found a Silverwing for $3500 I never would have bought the Blur... Congrats on the purchase, enjoy it!
Pete1ks

Post by Pete1ks »

jrsjr wrote:...which looks like this. I'm a traitor, I know. I still think the sub-$3000 new scooter market is the most interesting, vibrant, dynamic, growing market on the face of the earth. My problem is that it seems like everywhere I want to go is a long ways away. I got on Craig's List and saw that I could get a used Honda Silverwing 600 in near perfect condition with a nice topcase for about the same OTD price as a Buddy SI and that was it for me.

Honest question....

What is the functional difference in riding experience between that and a traditional motorcycle? I have never ridden a big dawg like that.
louie

Post by louie »

congrates on the new scoot. you're in good company. a ittle ot but i'm so happy to have this guy still with us, a friend who will be putting a voyager kit on his silverwing, converting it into a needed trike for his new body.
purromaniac

Post by purromaniac »

My hubby and I owned a SilverWing motorcycle back in the 1980s - early 90s. I find it funny that they turned it into a scooter. It weighs twice as much as a Buddy and the wheelbase is 14 inches longer! You got a great deal, though.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Pete1ks wrote:Honest question....

What is the functional difference in riding experience between that and a traditional motorcycle? I have never ridden a big dawg like that.
That's actually a really good question, because "functional" is the operant word here, IMHO. Straight up, riding a motorcycle in traffic is less fun and more work than riding a scooter because of clutching/shifting (maybe add foot braking to this list, too) It's just no fun to work a clutch and shift in stop-and-go traffic. On a scoot, in that kind of traffic, I can can keep it really simple by just working the rear brake with my left hand and the throttle with my right. It's easy enough to still be enjoyable, while doing that on a motorcycle is just tiresome.

Once you get out of traffic and start comparing the road manners of the big scooter vs a motorcycle, the motorcycle has some advantages, especially as you push the performance envelope. One big difference is the riding position. On a motorcycle, you can "hug the bike;" grip the tank with your knees and manipulate your weight by using the footpegs. Another big difference is that you have somewhat finer control of the power on a motorcycle because you can work the clutch and the gears. Also, a motorcycle has the advantage of larger wheels which are better for dealing with road obstacles like potholes and debris. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference for the "sitting on a chair" posture of a scooter vs the "horseback" riding posture of a motorcycle. I like both.

So, for me, the difference is all about functionality and not at all about horsepower or appearance. Excellent question!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
Pete1ks wrote:Honest question....

That's actually a really good question, because "functional" is the operant word here, IMHO. Straight up, riding a motorcycle in traffic is less fun and more work than riding a scooter because of clutching/shifting (maybe add foot braking to this list, too) It's just no fun to work a clutch and shift in stop-and-go traffic. On a scoot, in that kind of traffic, I can can keep it really simple by just working the rear brake with my left hand and the throttle with my right. It's easy enough to still be enjoyable, while doing that on a motorcycle is just tiresome.

Once you get out of traffic and start comparing the road manners of the big scooter vs a motorcycle, the motorcycle has some advantages, especially as you push the performance envelope. One big difference is the riding position. On a motorcycle, you can "hug the bike;" grip the tank with your knees and manipulate your weight by using the footpegs. Another big difference is that you have somewhat finer control of the power on a motorcycle because you can work the clutch and the gears. Also, a motorcycle has the advantage of larger wheels which are better for dealing with road obstacles like potholes and debris. Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference for the "sitting on a chair" posture of a scooter vs the "horseback" riding posture of a motorcycle. I like both.

So, for me, the difference is all about functionality and not at all about horsepower or appearance. Excellent question!
I agree about not having to shift in traffic, I have had times when riding my Vespas that I get home and my left hand is really tired!

As far as gripping the tank with your knees, well...how much grip do you get with your knees? I have found that when you tuck your knees together...as on a maxi scooter...all you need to do is press on the floorboard..same as pressing the peg. Also the Burgman 650 and Swing handle closer to sports bikes than cruisers. A very light counterstearing touch is all thats needed to lean it into a turn. I am not convinced that "smaller" wheels are a minus, but I will admit that the Burgman suspension could use some beefing up. I really don't know about the Swing suspension.

Power control...perhaps on the Swing. The Burgman 650 has an electronic CVT, no variator, no weights. The funny looking "power" button is just that. It kicks it into a sport mode that is very quick and responsive. There is also a "manual" mode with preselected CVT ratios shifted by left hand paddles...no clutch...heck.sometimes I dont even back off the throttle (makes the Harley riders weep leaving the lights!)

Anti Power? Both the Swing (as an option) and Burgman 650 Executive have true ABS...not those dangerous dump valves called ABS on some of the China crap. True ABS has generally only been available on BMW motorcycles.

Handling on both is, in my opinion (no...I am not humble!) far superior than almost any motorcycle. Even though the Swing is a swingarm mounted (I believe...but could be mistaken) engine (Burgman 650 is frame mounted) they are MUCH lower than a motorcycle engine. Lower center of gravity = much better handling.

My opinion is that the Swing is abit more nimble a low speeds, the Burgman more stable at high speeds (80+)

Then there is the storage. Two full face helmets fit under the Burgman 650 seat. I opten make a 330 mile round trip for work. I fit a 17" laptop widebrim hardhat and rain gear under the seat. Oh yeah ... I also get 58 cents a mile from the company :P

The Swing is a hot scooter! (But it's no Burgman! :mrgreen: ) In my opinion the handling, storage and braking of the high end maxiscooters make them much more useful...and fun..than a motorcycle.

But then again...I am a scooter kind of guy!

See you at the next Burger and Wings rally!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BuddyRaton wrote:The Swing is a hot scooter! (But it's no Burgman!)
Some would say that's a good thing... :wink: Seriously, thanks for the info. Good post!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr

Are the rear (left lever) brakes linked to the front? I think some Swings had that like the pre 2007 Burgman 400s had. It is not necisarilly bad but something to be aware ofif they are.
www.teamscootertrash.com

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BuddyRaton wrote:jrsjr

Are the rear (left lever) brakes linked to the front?
Well, I couldn't find a definitive answer so I took it out and grabbed a big ol' handful of rear brake. I didn't feel or see any front end dive, so I don't think they're linked.