Buddy 150 makes clicking sound-will not start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mjk

Buddy 150 makes clicking sound-will not start

Post by mjk »

I must preface this post, I know nothing about anything mechanical...

I turned on my scooter, didn't give it enough gas and it died. I tried to turn it back on and all I got was the clicking sound. My horn and lights work. This happened last night and I tried it this AM and again this evening.

Same thing happened about two weeks ago, but it started after about 15 mins.
My bike was in for the first maintenance check this past weekend. The guys at my work told me to have them check "relays" and the solenoid. The scooter shop said everything was ok.

I just crossed the 500 mile mark this weekend. At about 300 miles my bike stalled, just like in the "stator" discussion. It only happened once.

Any thoughts on my problem? The scooter shop is closed on Mondays, so I will give them a call tomorrow.
Thank you.
jmsmith802

Post by jmsmith802 »

I don't know about the problem starting... As for the stalling... did you get a new gas cap put on to prevent vapor lock?

Check out these threads:
viewtopic.php?t=6607&highlight=vapor+lock
viewtopic.php?t=6714&highlight=caps
Last edited by jmsmith802 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

When you say "clicking sound", do you mean a single click or a series of clicks for as long as you hold the starter button? I'm assuming the starter isn't cranking at all. I'm also assuming you've got the correct starter sequence down (kill switch, squeezing brake lever) because you did start the bike and then it stalled and wouldn't re-start. Have you tried kick starting?

If it's a single click, my guess is that you're starter isn't receiving enough power to crank, so I'd eliminate the possibility of loose connections before worrying about stators and other such things. Pull the cover off the floorboard first, loosen the 2 screws on the black battery cover and check to make sure the battery terminals are in good condition and nice and tight. If they are, check connections at your starter.

Oh, and if it's a series of clicks, that's a new one for me.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

HAve you tried to kick start it?
mjk

Post by mjk »

I have not tried kick starting since the salesperson at the scooter shop said he has a hard time with the the kick start. I'll give it a shot.

It is one click and not a series of clicks.

I'll follow your suggestion and see what happens.
Thank you.
P.S. I did get a new gas cap.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Check the battery first. You may have power, just not enough to start it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

I was just going to say that. Check the battery. Make sure the connections are good and tight. It could also be dead. If you can start it up with a fresh battery, then there might be something draining your battery. Your dealer can check the battery in a couple of minutes. Or if you are close to a Batteries Plus store, just disconnect the battery and bring it over to have it tested (its free).
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Indeed, it sounds exactly like when my battery was dying on my Buddy back in the day (because I made the mistake of leaving the key in the 'On' position when it was parked in the garage a few times).

I would recommend investing in a Battery Tender Junior or the like to make sure that your battery is staying charged and whatnot...

You'll want one for the off-season anyway (at least, it's incredibly likely that you will). :wink:

They can be picked up at your local auto parts store as well... :D [/url]
Huh? What just happened?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Does the Buddy have a starter solenoid? If so, it's possible it may have gone bad.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:Does the Buddy have a starter solenoid? If so, it's possible it may have gone bad.
I think that's essentially what the stator does, right?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

A starter solenoid is a fancy name for a relay. You don't want all the current that the starter motor draws going through your handlebar switch. The STATOR is the stationary half of your electrical generator. It is the part with the "windings". The ROTOR is the rotating magnet part of the generator. Most modern generators are AC and are called alternators as a result.

If the relay goes bad, it will usually click with no starter movement. Exactly the same symptom as a low battery.
mjk

Post by mjk »

Just an update...it was (drum roll, please) a defective solenoid.

My husband kick started it and brought it in to the shop; they figured out the problem, replaced it, and we were off.

Before we brought it in, we did try charging it and it still would not turn over.

Thank you to everyone who offered up their advice.

An aside, my scooter shop salesperson offered to come over to my house, take a look at the bike, and bring it in to the shop if necessary. I don't know if all scooter shops offer up that service, but I was impressed.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

mjk wrote:An aside, my scooter shop salesperson offered to come over to my house, take a look at the bike, and bring it in to the shop if necessary. I don't know if all scooter shops offer up that service, but I was impressed.
No, they don't all offer that. Good service!