Now this looks fun!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vitaminC

Now this looks fun!

Post by vitaminC »

But the question is, is it a scooter or a motorcycle? I guess it's the latter, but it does have a CVT... too bad we are unlikely ever to see it here in the US :cry: I love naked motorcycles, even if they make huge sacrifices in useability :wink:

2007 Aprilia NA 850 Mana

Aprilia's booth at the EICMA show in Milan, Italy was bursting with new models today, as the company debuted two completely new machines, a variation of an existing model, and the motor which will power a future superbike.

First up is the NA 850 Mana, an interesting naked bike featuring a computer-controlled CVT automatic transmission. The rider can choose from fully automatic operation (with three different modes - touring, sport, and rain) or manual (push-button or foot-actuated) shifting using seven speeds. Power comes from a 850cc, 90 degree V-Twin engine, featuring electronic fuel injection and dual spark ignition. The motor is wrapped in a tubular steel trellis frame that carries a single-piece aluminum swingarm; damping comes from 43mm USD forks up front and a side-mounted shock at the rear, and braking duties are handled by dual radial-mounted brake calipers in the front. By locating the tank under the seat, Aprilia was able to install a large storage compartment (capable of holding a full-face helmet) in the traditional tank location. From all appearances, the Mana is an innovative combination of utility and sportiness.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Neat-o!

I'd rock one. :D
Huh? What just happened?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I'd have to argue that they sacrifice nothing but comfort and convenience. I survived 35 years of motorcycling on what would be called a "naked bike" today. Everything from Yamaha RD's that I roadraced, to Harley choppers I built, to big Yamaha and BSA singles to Vespas. I've owned over 60 over the years and the only one that had a fairing was a Goldwing 1100 with a sidecar. I don't recall any of them being less than useable... except that old Suzuki Titan that I fragged the piston on...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Keys wrote:I'd have to argue that they sacrifice nothing but comfort and convenience.
True, but to me those two items add up to "useability." If a bike is not comfortable or convenient to use, then I am less likely to ride it- no matter how cool it looks or how fast it goes :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Definitely a motorcycle. There are several motorcycles with CVTs these days, with more apparently coming on the market. But I think the running definition for a scooter is that it has a "step-through" design. Some scoots, including the Blur, uh, blur that distinction with "step-through and over" designs. There was some recent discussion of this on ModernVespa when someone questioned whether the Piaggio 3-wheeled MP3 and its Gilera cousin are scooters.

The engine for the 850 Mana was originally developed by Piaggio (aka Vespa, Aprilia, Gilera, etc.) for use in what would be their biggest scooter ever. This originally turned up as the Gilera Ferro 850, which was never produced. Good to see it in the Aprilia, and still kinda hope for an 850 scooter because, well, that's just nuts.

Same bike, as the Ferro 850:
Mumu

Post by Mumu »

That one looks like it could be a Transformer. ...I'm thinking Autobot.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mumu wrote:That one looks like it could be a Transformer. ...I'm thinking Autobot.
Could be...
Attachments
vm7.jpg
vm7.jpg (17.15 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

vitaminC wrote:
Keys wrote:I'd have to argue that they sacrifice nothing but comfort and convenience.
True, but to me those two items add up to "useability." If a bike is not comfortable or convenient to use, then I am less likely to ride it- no matter how cool it looks or how fast it goes :wink:
Scooters, in general, are more convenient than motorcycles. But, there are all kinds of bags and cases that can be added to all kinds of motorcycles, dramatically increasing that convenience factor.

However, I'd argue that (generally) motorcycles are more comfortable than many scooters, especially for longer rides. Scooters tend to have a very upright riding position which can be hard on the spine. I much prefer having some of my weight on my arms. It's also relatively easy to change handlebars and footpegs on a motorcycle, effectively allowing you to custom fit the bike to your body.

A lot of people don't spend enough time testing bikes and scooters before they buy. Finding the right fit is pretty important, because spending an hour or two on a bike or scooter that's uncomfortable can turn a fun ride into pure torture.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

gt1000 wrote:However, I'd argue that (generally) motorcycles are more comfortable than many scooters, especially for longer rides. Scooters tend to have a very upright riding position which can be hard on the spine. I much prefer having some of my weight on my arms. It's also relatively easy to change handlebars and footpegs on a motorcycle, effectively allowing you to custom fit the bike to your body.
All depends on the bike and the scooter. A Suzuki Burgman will be immensely more comfortable than a Suzuki GSX-R. The hunched over position of a sport bike doesn't work for me at all, so personal fit and preference has a lot to do with comfort. The ability to change position is also pretty important on a long ride. Some bikes allow that, others don't. Some scoots really do, and others don't.
- Bryce
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bryce gets credit, BTW, for first pointing me to the Ferro/Mana info via a post ModernVespa. He gets all the good info first!

The 850 is going into a scooter, the Gilera GP 800.

Aesthetically, this is the first maxiscoot I've ever seen that I really like. And with the 850cc V Twin, I may not want or need a motorcycle with one of these.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

gt1000 wrote:A lot of people don't spend enough time testing bikes and scooters before they buy. Finding the right fit is pretty important, because spending an hour or two on a bike or scooter that's uncomfortable can turn a fun ride into pure torture.
And I'll contend that it is typically very difficult to get a test ride on a non-European bike, and even with the Euro bikes, sometimes a meaningful test ride is hard to come by. Just sitting on a bike/scoot for 20 min on the showroom really isn't going to tell you much- you've got to ride it. Yes, for many dealers it is a problem with insurance, so they come up with this crazy "buy the bike then test ride it" scheme, saying if you don't like it they'll just tear up the paperwork. Personally, I don't want to spend 1+ hours doing paperwork for a 15 minute test ride!

I test rode my "naked" bike before buying (SV650), but was really too inexperienced to know what I wanted/needed at that point, so in that case any length of test ride would have been too short! :? I did, however, experiment with various bars, windshields, and various other things trying to get the comfort level right for me, and it never worked out. Bummer, as the size and power of the bike was perfect for me.

Like everything, however, comfort is all relative. Some people can (and have) ridden cross country on GSXR-1k's, whlie others would only consider a Goldwing. Just a trick of finding what works for each person. Good thing there are so many options out there! :wink:

Anyway, I am riding a scoot now becuase for my 5 mile commute, it is the ultimate in practicality and convenience. Is it perfect for everything I might like to do on two-wheels? Of course not, but alas I can only have so many vehicles, and have to compromise based on what I do the most :cry:
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

My DH just got a QLink Legacy 250cc at our scooter shop, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting myself one when the new models come out.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

And I'll contend that it is typically very difficult to get a test ride on a non-European bike, and even with the Euro bikes, sometimes a meaningful test ride is hard to come by. Just sitting on a bike/scoot for 20 min on the showroom really isn't going to tell you much- you've got to ride it. Yes, for many dealers it is a problem with insurance, so they come up with this crazy "buy the bike then test ride it" scheme, saying if you don't like it they'll just tear up the paperwork. Personally, I don't want to spend 1+ hours doing paperwork for a 15 minute test ride!
Sad, but true for the most part. And I agree with you about the buy now, ride later idea which I've encountered at a number of dealerships. So, when I'm shopping I just walk away if test rides aren't offered. And it's more than a little cheeky for me to say that you can learn everything about a bike on a test ride, even an extended test ride. Because you can't. You really won't know everything about your bike or scooter until you've spent HOURS in the saddle, in all kinds of conditions, on all kinds of roads.

But, if you take your time and try the ergos on all the bikes you're considering over the course of the same day, you can come to some conclusions about which bike fits you best and which feels most comfortable.

As far as insurance goes, at least in Colorado, my understanding is that you are not covered by anyone when you test ride a motorcycle. You basically sign a waiver at the dealership, so you're not covered there. And my insurance agent tells me that, for two wheelers, they insure the individual machine, not the rider. So, even if you're fully covered for a car and a motorcycle, if you test ride a different bike, you're not covered. So be careful on those test rides!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

dahuffy wrote:My DH just got a QLink Legacy 250cc at our scooter shop, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting myself one when the new models come out.
Gee. :( Then you'll have to leave the board, huh? :shock:

Nah! 8) You're good. :roll:

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."