Buddy 125 vs. Vino 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lotte

Buddy 125 vs. Vino 125

Post by lotte »

I've been looking around, and found a Yamaha dealer which had Vino 125s. The guy there told me that parts for Vinos are easier to get than those for the Buddys, and down the road, I'd be happier with a Vino.

I've read that one article called "Buddy vs. Vino Review"

http://www.justgottascoot.com/buddy.htm

in which the writer generally praises the Buddy over the Vino.

I do agree with the Yamaha dealer that Yamaha is a trusted name and you can pretty much count on it for dependability. Yet, I've noticed some other things that the writer didn't mention about the Vino:

-The center stand caused a huge struggle for a small person like me. Even the sales guy, who was over 6 feet tall, was fighting with it. Yet the engine cannot be turned on without the scooter being propped up on center stands. The Buddy's center stands, on the other hand, caused me no problem at all.

-There are no additional storage option available for the Vinos other than just a rear basket.

-The side blinkers stick out and look frail; I've read somewhere that one has even seen them broken in a dealer

-I was pretty surprised to learn that Vino 50 has a tank capacity of 1.6 litres vs. 1.2 litres in Vino 125 :shock: The Buddy, I think, has 1.7.

-A petty point: Vino 125s only come in either blue or silver :cry:

On the other hand, I did feel very comfortable on the Vino, and I love its classy looks. I also like the completely flat foot panel.

If there are any of you out there with a Vino 125 or have owned one in the past, which scooter would you recommend, the Buddy 125 or Vino 125? Also, which do you think is better for someone who loves to travel long distance?

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the rather long post!! :D
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

I can give you my impressions of both scooters, since I have had both of them.

Looks: I really loved the looks of my Vino. People used to stop and look and ask me about it all the time. It's a sharp-looking scoot! The Buddy is less attractive to me visually. I just don't care for the plastics.

Fit: If you're small, you'll find the Buddy's seat is a little lower than the Vino. It also has a narrower floorboard which means you should be able to put your feet down more comfortably. It also means you have a little less foot room. As far as the center stand... it's so easy to get up on the stand that I almost sent the Buddy flying backward the first time I did it! I was expecting to have to struggle with it but it just went up so easily!

Performance: I found my Vino was smoother on the throttle and had a quieter sound. However, you can "feel" the power of the Buddy as you twist the throttle. It's more maneuverable, corners better, and stops better. Most important to me.... it will shoot up hills, where the Vino would bog down on steeper hills. You're right about the fuel tank... the Buddy's tank is a little larger (one of the things I was disappointed about with my Vino was the small tank).

Of the two of them, I prefer the Buddy. It's more comfortable for me to ride, and gives me the power I need. I'm happy with my Buddy :) But if you can test ride both (or at least sit on both), please do that. It's the best way to find out which one is the best choice for you. Good luck!

~ Shellee
LDB

Post by LDB »

I own a Vino125. My application is rather unique. I drive a large truck and carry it inside the cargo box to use for getting to a restaurant or store or whatever between jobs. I've only got about 50 miles on it so far. I've never ridden a Buddy but have looked them over at the local dealer.

For the most part I have to give the nod to the Vino for looks. I do not like the stupid giant chromed headlight nacelle though. I have the blue and it looks deeper and richer in color than the orange or pink Buddy I've seen. I like the orange color and think an orange Buddy with black accessories would be fine looking. I just wish the paint looked as upscale as the Vino. To me it's kind of Kia / Mercedes paint price/quality/looks issue. I'm not sure how to explain it other than the Vino paint looks more expensive and makes the Vino look more expensive.

I'm not satisfied with the power of my Vino, mainly because of my application. There are times I want to go an exit or two down the interstate to eat or visit a museum or whatever. I don't go on the interstate because there isn't enough power and in some places there are signs saying minimum 150cc as well. The Buddy has more power and is good for several mph higher top speed than a Vino according to all the reviews I've seen. The guy from Pride of Cleveland Scooters rode a Buddy on the Lake Erie Loop. It's once around the lake stopping only for fuel and facilities. He did 653 miles in 11:49 of moving time for a moving average speed of 55.2mph. He hit a max speed of 70.9mph, I'm sure with a tailwind and/or downhill. I'm impressed with the 55.2mph overall average and since you mentioned distance riding that's something to consider.

Yamaha has a much larger dealer network so you are often closer to service than with the Buddy. The Buddy seems very well built and reliable so you probably rarely need service. If you have a Buddy dealer reasonably close to home that's probably all you need unless you're going to duplicate the run in the book "I See by my Outfit".

If I'd known about the Buddy125 about 10 weeks ago I'd probably have bought it since it's the same price as the Vino and includes 2 yrs warranty and 1 yr roadside. It still wouldn't be what I now know I need but would be closer to it than my Vino. For my application I'm going to switch to a Vespa LX150 and add the 190cc kit to it. I like their GT/GTS but those are several inches wider and lots heavier so less appropriate for my application. Good luck to you. I don't think you go wrong with either of these choices.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Thanks, Shellee, JDB!!

You both bring up very good points. I'd have to agree with you both when you say that the Vino is more aesthetically pleasing and looks more refined. I don't care for the tupperware plastic look of the Buddy (and it's a really, REALLY petty point, but I don't like the rubberish jelly sticker emblem that looks as if it would peel/crack off under exposed weather) although I love its sporty feel. I agree with JDB that the Buddy lacks the depth and richness in its paint job as well (to make it match better with its plastic parts?) Also, years down the road, I wonder if the parts for the Buddy will be readily available.

But I love the idea of having more power and being able to drive up hills without having have to worry all the time (trust me, I drive a car that can't handle uphill climbs, and I know how frustrating it is!) The fact you bring up about it having higher max mph is a real winner too. I'd like to be able to drive comfortably along in the traffic without ending up in a grill of a MAC truck. And after reading Shellee's reply, I think that a smaller person would be more comfortable on a Buddy than the Vino.

Oh, so much to consider!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Buddy 125 vs. Vino 125

Post by jrsjr »

lotte wrote:I've been looking around, and found a Yamaha dealer which had Vino 125s. The guy there told me that parts for Vinos are easier to get than those for the Buddys, and down the road, I'd be happier with a Vino.
Really, if you think about it, what would you expect a Yamaha dealer to tell you? If you think Yamaha parts are easier to get down the road, go back and ask him for a head gasket for a 1981 XS650 Heritage motorcycle and see what he says. :wink:
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

jrsjr wrote:
lotte wrote:I've been looking around, and found a Yamaha dealer which had Vino 125s. The guy there told me that parts for Vinos are easier to get than those for the Buddys, and down the road, I'd be happier with a Vino.
Really, if you think about it, what would you expect a Yamaha dealer to tell you? If you think Yamaha parts are easier to get down the road, go back and ask him for a head gasket for a 1981 XS650 Heritage motorcycle and see what he says. :wink:
Hello try getting parts for a 2001 Vino.

Its been sitting in the garage for over 2 weeks now becuase the local Yamaha dealer is still trying to get the gasket for the carb. To only be told by the dealership there is no such thing as a two stroke version of that scooter only a 4 stroke. Its been a two month ordeal to get the battery for the scooter also.

Looks like alot of the parts on the Buddy will be easy to cross ref with other brands, plus I have sent stuff off to Martin Racing and they are in the works for performance parts.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

xkennx wrote:plus I have sent stuff off to Martin Racing and they are in the works for performance parts.
Nice!!
ellen

Post by ellen »

xkennx wrote:plus I have sent stuff off to Martin Racing and they are in the works for performance parts.

Great! I like the Vino 125. (If you have a decent dealer) But thats one problem with it. The lack of performance parts.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Thanks, guys!!

After extensive research and reading all your reviews, I've finally bought my very own cream Buddy!! It's supposed to come tomorrow... I'm SO psyched!!! :lol:

Again, thanks a lot for all your comments!
castleton

new buddy

Post by castleton »

Congratulations!!

If my experience is anything to go by, you are going to LOVE it!!! The Buddy fits me like a glove.

Safe scooting! :D
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

lotte wrote:Thanks, guys!!

After extensive research and reading all your reviews, I've finally bought my very own cream Buddy!! It's supposed to come tomorrow... I'm SO psyched!!! :lol:

Again, thanks a lot for all your comments!

How has you Buddy experience been so far?