My First Test Drive!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

taile84

My First Test Drive!!!

Post by taile84 »

I have been "lurking" on here for days (12 days to be exact), finally went to test drive one today and was so scared I almost ran into a dumpster! LOL I think my biggest problem is not starting off fast enough, so I keep wobbling since I don't gain enough speed.

The first spin around the lot, the sales guy was like "that was great Tai! now try and put your feet on your bike while you are going instead of dangling it and dragging it beside you".. LOL.. I did not even realize I didn't put my feet on the bike the whole time!

But My Fiance put a down payment on one for me anyway because I have fallen in love with the Buddy. But like any great love, it will take a lot of time and patience I'm sure :o)

Oh me oh my, I am so excited I couldn't barely sleep for the past few days. They didn't have red, so I am in line for the next red one.

Does anyone on here remember their first time driving a scooter? Tell me about your experience. I hope I will get better at it soon, I know I will love driving it, and I would prefer to have a Buddy that's intact than one that is in pieces.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

welcome to the forum! congrats on the test ride! :D
taile84

Post by taile84 »

MikieTaps wrote:welcome to the forum! congrats on the test ride! :D
Thanks! By the way, I have been reading alot of your posts and Love the "Ride it like you stole it" quote. Makes me smile a little every time.

I WILL ride it like I stole it! LOL

Vroom Vroom, here I come! riding it like I stole it.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

thank you, see eric, some people enjoy my witty banter :P
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

MikieTaps wrote:thank you, see eric, some people enjoy my witty banter :P
"Some".....point another person out :goofy:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

She's only read you for 12 days. It will pass. :P

Welcome Tai! Glad you stopped lurking!

My first ride on a scooter was just kind of "well, here goes, I might as well hit the throttle, put my feet up and go." Nothing timid about it. It was a blast and I'll never go back to a cage!!
taile84

Post by taile84 »

jmazza wrote:

My first ride on a scooter was just kind of "well, here goes, I might as well hit the throttle, put my feet up and go." Nothing timid about it. It was a blast and I'll never go back to a cage!!
Wow, Wish I was as brave as you :o) I am such chicken, especially when there is a potential of falling/tripping/bruising (input anything else here that sounds like it would hurt?

louie

Post by louie »

i had just learned to ride a motorcycle a week before in a very controlled environment. i took an lx150 vespa for a test ride at the dealership with the salesman in the lead. i was scared to be on the road but it went well enough to buy the buddy that day.
it only gets better.
take care and have fun.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

taile84 wrote:
jmazza wrote:

Wow, Wish I was as brave as you :o) I am such chicken, especially when there is a potential of falling/tripping/bruising (input anything else here that sounds like it would hurt?
Well the other half of the story is that I hadn't ridden any two wheeled motorized vehicle in a lot of years... like maybe 15... but of course I told the shop "oh yeah I know what I'm doing" when I asked for a test ride, so I figured I'd better look like it. And I didn't exactly open the throttle wide but I gave it a solid amount of gas and just took off. I also knew it was much easier to ride at a faster speed than a slow speed. ANYONE can keep their balance going fast!! You have much more of a chance of falling/tripping/bruising trying to balance with your feet dragging at 5 mph.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:Well the other half of the story is that I hadn't ridden any two wheeled motorized vehicle in a lot of years... like maybe 15
I was in the same boat. I'd ridden motorcycles and a Vespa P but it had been many, many years.

My first ride, the throttle caught me by surprise. I'd never ridden anything with an automatic transmission and it just took off, sending me into a wide arc across 3 lanes of a busy 6 lane street.

Tai, if no one's suggested it yet, check out the MSF Basic Rider Course. It's really the best way for new riders to get familiar with the basics. A lot of new riders crashed this summer–most had not taken the course. (The crashes were mostly minor, but it's still not worth the bruises and damaging a new scooter!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Welcome Tai! I hope you enjoy the newfound (or soon to be found) freedom that the Buddy will provide! :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronin_000/

"We're just all jealous that you will be able to ride for more than 45 minutes without your butt going numb." - jmazza
taile84

Post by taile84 »

Ronin wrote:Welcome Tai! I hope you enjoy the newfound (or soon to be found) freedom that the Buddy will provide! :)
Thank you :o)

I will definitely be driving around the parking lot alot before I go on the road.

verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

I think my wife and i both had similar experiences for the first few minutes of our first ride. We didn't get an opportunity to ride again for a few weeks. When that time came, it felt much more natural. The third time we rode. we did a loop around the block at our dealers place then drove it 6 miles to get it home. Piece of Cake! You'll be surprised how your confidence increases with each ride. Nothing says you have to drive 50 miles per hour. Just drive within your limits and you'll be on your way.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Is there some way to post a reference to "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough in every thread, automatically? Until then, I will do it manually.

Taile, read that book(and/or take the MSF class), it helps you understand your bike so much better and trust me, it'll give you confidence. You'll learn about how and why a motorcycle WANTS to stay standing up and in a straight line, and how to brake and accelerate smoothly and safely. Reading that book cover to cover and practicing the drills he recommends will make you a much better rider than most people out there, guaranteed.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
mayra

Post by mayra »

it took me like 3 months to even get on the street. I started off just like you too, too afraid to go fast but going slow would make me lose balance.

I used to practice in a parking lot and one day some cops came by to kick me out and that's what pushed me to get on the street, i've stayed on there ever since. I think a little fear is good and keeps me alert :)
taile84

Post by taile84 »

mayra wrote:it took me like 3 months to even get on the street. I started off just like you too, too afraid to go fast but going slow would make me lose balance.

I used to practice in a parking lot and one day some cops came by to kick me out and that's what pushed me to get on the street, i've stayed on there ever since. I think a little fear is good and keeps me alert :)
Wow really?? thats so funny that the cops came and kicked you out. I can just see you on your scooter struggling to practice the drills and going in circles like a turtle through the parking lot with your big helmet on, and a cop just comes by and you wobble even worse! LOL

I am glad to hear that there are some people on here that are just as scared as me. I feel alot better about following through with getting a Buddy and not feeling like I will not use it as much as I should.

Thank you! :o)

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

nice signature...

i think it should be...

"Vroom Vroom, here I come, riding it like i stole it... " :D
MrChet

Post by MrChet »

What's the licensing requirement in GA?

I second the MSF course recommendation. I took it years ago, rode sport bikes and then just got back on a buddy after nearly 7 years off motorized two wheelers (though I still did a fair share of road bicycling).

Every time I am on 2 wheels I remember things I learned from the MSF course. It's made me a better road cyclist (especially on descents and fast turns) and definitely a confident scooterist.

Have fun! Be Safe! and make sure you get some quality safety gear (i.e. no used helmets)!
taile84

Post by taile84 »

MikieTaps wrote:nice signature...

i think it should be...

"Vroom Vroom, here I come, riding it like i stole it... " :D
Haha, like this? :o)

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

:cry:

the beauty.... it brings a tear to my eye :D
taile84

Post by taile84 »

MikieTaps wrote::cry:

the beauty.... it brings a tear to my eye :D
Haha, I will keep that signature for now Until I find who I am on my Buddy.

taile84

Post by taile84 »

MrChet wrote:What's the licensing requirement in GA?

I second the MSF course recommendation. I took it years ago, rode sport bikes and then just got back on a buddy after nearly 7 years off motorized two wheelers (though I still did a fair share of road bicycling).

Every time I am on 2 wheels I remember things I learned from the MSF course. It's made me a better road cyclist (especially on descents and fast turns) and definitely a confident scooterist.

Have fun! Be Safe! and make sure you get some quality safety gear (i.e. no used helmets)!
We have to get a motorcycle license in GA for anything bigger than 50cc. The permit expires in 6 months so I need to hurry up and practice so I can get my license.

scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

I can chime in here since I just went through all of that and am in Atlanta, GA. If you are riding anythning bigger than 50cc (oh wait it might be 49cc....check if that'll make or break the process for you) GA requires that you have your M classification. To do this, you at least need your motorcycle permit which means passing a test at the DDS (division of driver services?). It is about 20 questions related to street signs and another 20 related to riding on 2 wheels. I read the state issued manual twice and did just fine (had never driven 2 wheels...only passenger stuff). Your permit is good for 6 months and costs $10.00 I believe.

To get your license, you'll need to pass another written test and a road skills test again at the DDS. Check online to make sure the location near you offers road tests since some are only set up to allow for written tests. Anyway, you can bypass all of that and take the MSF course which will teach you tons AND provide you with a voucher to hand in for your license provided you pass the course. Voucher is good for 90 days - bring it to the DDS with your old license, take a new picture, pay $20 and then you're golden.

Your car and your motorcycle license get combined onto one brand spanking new license with 2 classifications. Your permit is annoyingly a separate license thingy that you have to carry around. I hope this info helps!
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
taile84

Post by taile84 »

scoots4me wrote:
I can chime in here since I just went through all of that and am in Atlanta, GA. If you are riding anythning bigger than 50cc (oh wait it might be 49cc....check if that'll make or break the process for you) GA requires that you have your M classification. To do this, you at least need your motorcycle permit which means passing a test at the DDS (division of driver services?). It is about 20 questions related to street signs and another 20 related to riding on 2 wheels. I read the state issued manual twice and did just fine (had never driven 2 wheels...only passenger stuff). Your permit is good for 6 months and costs $10.00 I believe.

To get your license, you'll need to pass another written test and a road skills test again at the DDS. Check online to make sure the location near you offers road tests since some are only set up to allow for written tests. Anyway, you can bypass all of that and take the MSF course which will teach you tons AND provide you with a voucher to hand in for your license provided you pass the course. Voucher is good for 90 days - bring it to the DDS with your old license, take a new picture, pay $20 and then you're golden.

Your car and your motorcycle license get combined onto one brand spanking new license with 2 classifications. Your permit is annoyingly a separate license thingy that you have to carry around. I hope this info helps!
You know, the sad part is, I was SOOO excited about getting a Buddy that I went a took my permit test even before I test drove the Buddy. LOL

I wanted to make sure that the moment I got my buddy I was legally allowed to drive it.

skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

taile84 wrote:I wanted to make sure that the moment I got my buddy I was legally allowed to drive it.
My daughter and I did the same thing. We live about 40 miles from our dealer, so the first day I got it I had to drive it through downtown Salt Lake City (about every city is harder to drive in, SLC is easy), and through a number of suburbanite towns until I got home. Before we got moving I practiced stopping and cornering on a msreet near the dealer My daughter followed me in a car. We took a break about half-way. By the end of the ride I felt okay.

When I was 19 (a long time ago) I rode my brother's motorcycle a few times. 4-wheeler experience kinda helped with the idea of the throttle on the handlebars... But, I felt fairly inexperienced...

There's some helpful scootering tips on YouTube. Good luck and welcome.
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

taile84 wrote:You know, the sad part is, I was SOOO excited about getting a Buddy that I went a took my permit test even before I test drove the Buddy. LOL. I wanted to make sure that the moment I got my buddy I was legally allowed to drive it.
I did the same exact thing. There's no shame in being prepared!
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
newslinky

Post by newslinky »

Welcome to the forum taile you are in great company here!
Proud owner of a Buddy St. Tropez 150