Rise by More Than 6 Percent

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Should topics like this be kept off of MB?

Yes
3%
No
55%
You just figured out how to create a poll, didn't you
42%

Total votes: 38

UXO

Rise by More Than 6 Percent

Post by UXO »

Motorcyclists Deaths’ Rise by More Than 6 Percent

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/us/15fatal.html?hp
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

The article pointed out some areas where people can protect themselves.

"in 1975, 47 states required all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, but now only 20 do."

That is significant!! Living in California, we are required to wear helmets. Being a bicycle rider as well, I can't imagine riding a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle without wearing a helmet (just my preference).

"At the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, which is financed by the manufacturers, Tim Buche, the president, said a person killed on a motorcycle was 2.5 times more likely to be under the influence of alcohol than a person killed in a car and three times more likely not to have a proper license."

Again, someone can make a decision to do something that will help them beat the odds. And as automobile related deaths decline, that can push the percentage of people killed in motorcycle accidents up, even if the total number remains the same.

PasadenaSue
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Sure deaths have risen by 6 percent, but how about the NUMBER of riders increase overall. I bet there are more than 6 percent more motorcycle riders...
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Maybe there is 6% more road rage from cagers because of their distress with high gas prices. . .
~Celebrate~
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Six percent is actually lower than I'd have guessed. I think the stats for 2008 will jump significantly.

Cars are getting safer. Bikes are not.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

ericalm wrote: Cars are getting safer. Bikes are not.
Meaning cars are having less accidents, or manufacturers are making cars safer in case of an accident?
~Celebrate~
Keys

Post by Keys »

runtotorun121 wrote:
Meaning cars are having less accidents, or manufacturers are making cars safer in case of an accident?
Actually, it means there are more morons driving cars who need safer cars since they are more irresponsible drivers. It's a way of relieving the driver from the stress of accepting the consequences of their bad behavior. Same as everywhere else in our society. "It's the car's fault I got hurt...NOT my stupidity!!!"

As for bikes not getting safer, NOT TRUE. Better brakes, better tires, better suspensions, MSF courses all make for safer bikes. Also the Honda Goldwing is now available with an airbag.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

In my opinion most automobiles have no souls on board, just crash dummies. :!:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

runtotorun121 wrote:
Meaning fewer fatalities when cars do crash.
kazoo wrote:In my opinion most automobiles have no souls on board, just crash dummies. :!:
Plenty of MB members also drive cars. Most, I'd say.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

MikieTaps wrote:Sure deaths have risen by 6 percent, but how about the NUMBER of riders increase overall. I bet there are more than 6 percent more motorcycle riders...
That was the first thing I thought, if the flat NUMBER went up 6% that's surely less than the increase in motorcycles and scooters lately.

They make reference in the story to "per 100 million vehicle miles traveled" which would be a fair way to compare, but it's not clear if that refers to the 6% number or not, in the lede they just say "The number of…" which implies the raw figure. Sloppy journalism, kinda.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

yeah i was making assumptions, I didnt even read the article. I was parusing MB on my blackberry while waiting for SITR to finish setting up his drum set.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think this can be taken 2 ways

Way 1: Scaring people.

Way 2: Education to people about accidents on 2 wheels, and mistakes they can learn from these articles.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

As well as Kazoo. Implying that Riding in a car is so commonplace. Like Ducati's have souls... all in that vein. You get the point, I think.
ericalm wrote:
kazoo wrote:In my opinion most automobiles have no souls on board, just crash dummies. :!:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kazoo wrote:As well as Kazoo. Implying that Riding in a car is so commonplace. Like Ducati's have souls... all in that vein. You get the point, I think.
ericalm wrote:
Oh, like the popular LA bumper sticker "drum machines have no soul?"
My car has soul. It's superbad.