50cc Prima Pipe

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dougk

50cc Prima Pipe

Post by dougk »

Just received my Prima pipe for the Buddy 50, what size jet should I be using. I don't want to do allot of futzing with jets. Thanks for your help.

Doug Keener
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

If you didn't get a performance air filter, try an 85 jet. If you do have the air filter, try a 90. Did it come with a set of 3 different jets?
bikebuda

Post by bikebuda »

ok that is some bad advice

if you have only the pipe,,,,, the 80 is all you will need

get the rear spring and 6 g rollers and it will fly :twisted:
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

I tried the 80 and was not happy with the results. The 85 was way better. I went up to a 90 after putting the air filter on. I have 6g rollers and the rear spring in as well. I think it's a matter of personal preference. I saw a huge jump in acceleration going with the bigger jet. My improvement is probably somewhat amplified because I'm a lightweight.
Taz

Post by Taz »

All jet sizes should be qualified with several factors such as elevation, temperature, humidity, etc.

If you are at higher altitutudes or hotter temps, you need to run smaller jets as you need less fuel as you have less oxygen. So while a 80 may be to lean for someone at seal level on a cold day, it may be too rich for someone in Colorado on a hot day.

Nobody can tell you what jet YOU need unless they ride your scooter in a very similar manner and environment as you. Any jetting recommendations should only be considered as a starting point. Better to start too rich and work you way down than too lean and to seize your motor. There is no "one jet fits all" for any motor even with similar mods and altitudes!

I don't have a pipe on a Buddy (yet) but I've done quite a bit of racing with 2 stroke motors. Take your time to jet it right and you'll get better performance, reliability and mileage. Don't just slap in any ol' jet and assume it is right! Take the time to verify that it is correct for your particular circumstances.