Loading & unloading ramp

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sbebenelli

Loading & unloading ramp

Post by sbebenelli »

I'd like to be able to load my scooter in the back of my truck easily with no help. I have a folding aluminum ramp that I use for my 4 wheeler. My Buddy (LOL :clown: what a name) hits as the front wheel goes in the truck and the back is still on the ramp. It's doable but I don't like the scraping and I don't think it's the safest. Other than getting a completely different ramp is there any workarounds that I'm overlooking?
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

Can you find a place to park so the front of the truck is higher than the back, that will lower the tailgate?

I have a little dip at the end of my driveway. If i put my back wheels in it the tailgate is couple inches closer to the ground.

You could do the same with a ditch. You could also take the cables off the tailgate and let it hang down further/ rest on the bumper (must have old beater for truck)

Go to home depot and buy a couple long boards.
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

I am the master of truck ramps

MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

you can do a wheelie into the back :P
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Ray Knobs wrote:I am the master of truck ramps

Very nice work.

I have a woodshop and enjoy seeing things like this made out of wood.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Are you putting your gate down first? just kidding.

If it's just barely rubbing, maybe just getting the bottom edge of the ramp a little higher (2x4 or something wouldn't be so much of an obstacle to roll the bike over but it'd reduce the angle enough to avoid the scraping.

Or park facing downhill on a bit of a slope, my garage apron is pretty steep so if I park a truck backed up to my garage, the ramp is almost level. Then again, I guess the truck bed is sloped so it mught not help much. So you need to park on a flat bit, at the bottom of a hill... ok, nevermind.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Lowes/home depot, buy a thing called "RampArts" It's a metal piece you bolt onto a 8 inch wide and 10 foot long board that is 2 inches thick. Should cost maybe 7-8 dollars for the board itself.

You just drill 2 holes, and screw the metal ramp on. I have it and it works good when loading into the van.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

Ray Knobs wrote:Can you find a place to park so the front of the truck is higher than the back, that will lower the tailgate?

I have a little dip at the end of my driveway. If i put my back wheels in it the tailgate is couple inches closer to the ground.

You could do the same with a ditch. You could also take the cables off the tailgate and let it hang down further/ rest on the bumper (must have old beater for truck)

Go to home depot and buy a couple long boards.
This was great advice. My drive has a slope to it. The first time I tried loading it I choose to use the street where it was level. Last night I pulled my truck onto the drive and had the ramp on the street where it was level. The scooter went up it without hitting. I took it to the campground where we are camping this weekend and found a place with a little slope (it doesn't take much) and unloaded it with ease.